• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Online users express anger towards Chan Chun Sing over his remarks of calling people “idiots” and “disgraceful”

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is disgraceful

Parliament.jpg

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu hopes that every child will grow up, sure of themselves - confident, happy and resilient. :wink:

Chan Chun Sing

1h ·
We often think of talent or strengths as something inherent, something static. But we have learnt that strengths are multi-dimensional and manifest over a period of time.
Hence, if we want to bring out the best in our children, we must shift away from teaching to the average, and change how we nurture our children’s interests, abilities, and diversity.
One way we will do so is to refresh the way we support higher-ability learners. Right now, GEP students have to enrol in one of the nine Primary schools which offer the GEP Programme. With this move, we will extend school-based programmes for higher ability learners to more students across our primary schools.
So, they will be able to grow up with friends they have met, teachers who have nurtured them, and maintain these important relationships.
Those who benefit from further development in specific subjects may also opt to attend after-school modules at designated nearby schools.
In a similar vein, we will also support more students to take Higher Mother Tongue at the secondary level in the future - as long as they perform well in Mother Tongue at PSLE. This ties in with our goal to support every student to learn their Mother Tongue to as high a level as they can. We will provide more information on this initiative at the Mother Tongue Languages Symposium in September.
We will also reimagine our schools’ learning environments, and design them to be more inspirational and collaborative for learning and teaching. Spaces such as libraries, science laboratories, and staff facilities will get a facelift over the coming years, to provide a conducive environment for students and teachers to learn, interact, and collaborate with each other. We will also make edtech a large part of our teaching and learning.
Discovering our strengths is a lifelong journey. Learning is a lifelong journey.
I hope that every child will grow up, sure of themselves - confident, happy and resilient.

jw5

Loyal
from straitstimes.com:

Schools to get better network coverage, flexible furniture and barrier-free routes​

Photo20220-20Montfort20Secondary20School.jpg

Flexible furniture at Montfort Secondary School allows for more discussion in groups. PHOTO: MOE
elishatusharabyline.png

Elisha Tushara
Correspondent
UPDATED

AUG 19, 2024, 09:46 PM

FacebookTelegram

SINGAPORE - Better network coverage in schools, better accessibility with more lifts and ramps, as well as upgraded libraries and science laboratories.
These are among the infrastructure developments in the coming years that the Ministry of Education (MOE) will carry out across all 330 primary and secondary schools in Singapore, to meet changing needs in teaching and learning.
Speaking to the media at the MOE headquarters on Aug 19, Education Minister Chan Chun Sing said the ministry is going to invest quite a lot in upgrading the infrastructure of Singapore schools.

These new features will be added to schools over time in the next 10 to 15 years, he said.
Prime Minister Lawrence Wong announced during his National Day Rally speech on Aug 18 that the learning environment and infrastructure of schools in Singapore will be enhanced to provide “a conducive environment for teachers to work, and for students to learn, interact and collaborate with each other”.
Mr Chan said that classrooms today need to be configured more flexibly, and adopt more technology for learning.

For example, movable partitions and configurable tables can facilitate different group sizes and modes of learning. MOE said that this will encourage more collaboration through group work and discussions, for instance.

The ministry will also progressively upgrade network coverage in schools, and allocate more cloud storage capabilities for students and teachers.
Facilities in secondary schools such as libraries and science laboratories will also be upgraded to allow for more student-initiated activities and group discussions.
Students with mobility difficulties will also have better accessibility in schools, through the provision of more lifts and ramps.

In late 2023, the library at Bendemeer Secondary School was rebuilt and reopened in February 2024 to make the space more conducive for reading and learning.
Ms Foo Sheue Feng, the school’s principal, said that it wanted the library to be more open, let more natural light in and allow for flexible use.
“In the library, students can do individual work, or move the tables and chairs to form a circle to aid in collaboration... We can hold various events in the library that cater to the school’s needs, such as level-wide programmes,” she said.

Photo20720-20Bendemeer20Secondary20School_6.jpg

The library at Bendemeer Secondary School was rebuilt to make the space more conducive for reading and learning. PHOTO: MOE

At Montfort Secondary School, five Secondary 3 classes were equipped with flexible furniture in January 2024.
The school’s principal, Mr Kelvin Lim, said that at the Secondary 3 level, students study subjects such as social studies that warrant more discussion.
Having such flexible furniture allows students to form themselves into groups easily as and when they need to, and helps build communication skills, he said.
MOE is also exploring ways to share facilities across schools and with the community.
It will continue to work with Sport Singapore to design and open more school facilities, such as indoor sports halls, fields and game courts, for community use under the Dual-Use Scheme.

Photo201320-20Queensway20Secondary20School_6.jpg

Children from the ActiveSG Football Academy using the field at Queensway Secondary School under the Dual-Use Scheme. PHOTO: SPORT SINGAPORE

Facilities in selected schools, such as performing arts studios and rock-climbing walls, will also be shared across schools.
Measures such as using cool paint, providing more fans and rain shields, and increasing greenery will be implemented in schools, as part of efforts to mitigate the impact of climate change.

Photo201520-20Edgefield20Primary20School_6.jpg

A garden and rain-shields at Edgefield Primary School. PHOTO: MOE

To reduce the need for manpower, MOE is also exploring using centralised kitchens to prepare and deliver food to schools, as well as installing full-height turnstiles at school access points.
Lastly, work spaces for teachers will be refreshed.

Photo201020-20Beatty20Secondary20School_6.jpg

A flexible collaborative work space for teachers at Beatty Secondary School. PHOTO: MOE

This will include more conducive and multifunctional work spaces such as pantries and areas for teachers to hold discussions, and private booths for recording online learning materials.
Said Mr Chan: “Every project is in itself an experiment to try out new ideas, so that we have a faster evolution of our schools in terms of the infrastructure to support our students, our teachers, and also the future.”

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu found something. :o-o::confused::roflmao:

Chan Chun Sing

·
Guess what's this for? Found this at my
CNA 938FM Asia First radio interview this morning. Good catching up with Hairianto.

456311722_1059331218884959_6399338694108201833_n.jpg

456242078_1059331252218289_5305610819108809787_n.jpg

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu wants to help one another be the best version of ourselves. :wink:

Chan Chun Sing

·
Life is filled with uncertainties and untidiness - it is something all of us are learning to live with. Even the best-laid plans may not be executed as planned.
At the National Camp 2024 Youth Dialogue today, our student cadets from nine Uniformed Groups and Singapore Youth Flying Club came together to discuss how we can promote Total Defence in Singapore. We discussed the need to be aware of both opportunities and challenges presented by new technologies, as well as the continuous effort required to uphold our nation’s sovereignty and progress.
What will help us survive and thrive in dynamic environments is the ability to adapt, and the willingness to embrace every inevitable challenge, not just in school, but in life.
During the dialogue, I was also asked if we should review the DSA exercise. The answer must be yes, if we hope to build a system that continues to benefit our future generations.
We will look to broaden access and cultivate a diverse pool of talents for our collective resilience. We will also continue to empower our teachers with the skills to harness the potential of our students, and help develop every child instead of winning through selection bias.
We can help one another be the best version of ourselves.

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu is grateful to NUSS. :o-o::confused::laugh:

Chan Chun Sing

·
Joined NUSS at its annual Charity Golf dinner this evening.
This year’s event is extra special as NUSS celebrates its 70th anniversary. Established in 1954, the NUSS is National University of Singapore's graduate alumni society, providing a platform for alumni to connect, collaborate and contribute back to not just their alma mater, but the wider community too.
My heartfelt gratitude to NUSS, and the generous donors for your continued support. Together, we will pay it forward and build a lasting legacy for future generations!

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu congratulates SITizens. :smile:

Chan Chun Sing

·
In May last year, I attended the topping-out ceremony for Singapore Institute of Technology's new Punggol campus.
Fast forward 15 months, SIT today welcomed students from two clusters (Business, Communication and Design; and Infocomm Technology) with much fanfare and cheer. Some of the incoming students leave behind the old campuses in Nanyang Polytechnic, Republic Polytechnic and Temasek Polytechnic and will embark on this new leg of the SIT story. They will be housed in the completed section of SIT, the SIT Campus Court, with students from the remaining 3 clusters joining their peers in Punggol by May 2025 after the completion of the second section of the campus, the SIT Campus Heart.
The new campus is scenic and strategically located in the heart of the up-and-coming Punggol Digital District. I am glad that SIT will continue to strengthen its existing linkages with our polytechnics, beginning with the scholarships awarded by Temasek Holdings for outstanding polytechnic graduates pursing STEM degrees at SIT.
It is my hope that in your next phase, SIT will continue to reach within and draw strength from your roots, reach out to the local community and your neighbours in the Punggol Digital District, and reach beyond both boundaries of conventional disciplines and the shores of Singapore to produce innovations at the frontier of Science and Technology.
Dear SITizens, congratulations on this momentous day. And welcome, once again, to Punggol!
With Janil Puthucheary

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu made a second visit. :o-o::confused::laugh:

Chan Chun Sing

·
#guesswhere?
This is my second visit to the area this weekend.
1f60a.png

———-
(Answer): I took this photo of the mirror ceiling at Singapore Institute of Technology Boulevard along the route from the new Teck Lee LRT Station to SIT Campus Court this morning. Exciting new developments in this neighbourhood in Punggol. Much to explore.

457052028_1061925505292197_8469301238970082566_n.jpg

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu went on house visits. :wink:

Chan Chun Sing

·
During my regular house visit last evening, several of our seniors opened their homes to me, sharing stories that reflect the strong ties and rich history of My Buona Vista estate. I also met young residents who eagerly shared their dreams and hobbies.
#bvhousevisit

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu is proud of students. :cool:

Chan Chun Sing

·
Someone once asked me, what is my definition of success for every child?
To me, when every child leaves our education system, they must be able to confidently say these four words: ‘I can, I will.’
‘I can’ because they understand that each of us has a special quality that allows us to make a contribution to greater society and to Singapore.
‘I will’ because they believe that they will always overcome the odds, no matter the challenge.
At the MOE Special Awards Presentation Ceremony this year, we recognised 199 outstanding students from 89 educational institutions for their diverse accomplishments in both academic and non-academic fields.
Tarshvinwaran, an aerospace machine technology student at ITE College Central, faced challenging family circumstances - but it did not stop him from demonstrating remarkable resilience and leadership. As Vice-President of the Student Council, he balances his studies, co-curricular activities, and family responsibilities with a strong work ethic. Tarshvinwaran’s optimism and dedication to serving others has distinguished him as a recipient of the Lee Kuan Yew Award for All-Round Excellence.
Meanwhile, Kasper from St. Andrew's Autism Centre overcame personal challenges to support others at Parkway East Hospital and St. Andrew’s Senior Care Centre. As a St John cadet, he is committed to the care of others and dreams of becoming a St John officer. He earned a Lee Kuan Yew Exemplary Student award today for his dedication and support.
I am proud of students like Tarshvinwaran and Kasper, who went beyond finding meaning - to giving meaning to what they do despite the challenges they faced.
They said they could, and they did
1f4aa_1f3fc.png

Well done to all, and continue to lead with distinction!

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu is proud of Team Singapore. :wink::thumbsup::biggrin:

Chan Chun Sing

·
We are sending our largest and most diverse team yet to the 47th WorldSkills Competition in France, Lyon this year! With 35 talented youths from our ITEs, polytechnics, and SBS Transit Ltd representing us in 30 skill areas, Team Singapore will be competing alongside over 1,400 young professionals from around the world.
Proud of them for their determination and perseverance, for coming so far.
Let's cheer them on at WorldSkills Lyon 2024 or should I say “bonne chance”?
1f642.png

#WSC2024
#WorldSkills2024
#WorldSkillsLyon2024

jw5

Loyal
Keehiu thanks recipients and nominees. :smile:

Chan Chun Sing

·
The President’s Award for Teachers (PAT) is an affirmation that a teacher’s influence and impact extends far beyond the classroom.
At the reception, I met Ms Chua Jin Xun from Opera Estate Primary School. She leads her school’s Values in Actions programme and introduced a Care Ambassadors project for lower primary students to foster values such as kindness, respect, and empathy. Mr Shang Thian Huat, who teaches at Blangah Rise Primary School, arranges for monthly sessions for his students to engage and exercise with senior citizens in the neighbourhood.
Our teachers are the pillars of our education system and are key to helping our students harness and realise their full potential.
To the PAT recipients and the over 4,500 nominees, thank you for your unwavering commitment and passion to always inspire the next generation to thrive and succeed.
With President Tharman Shanmugaratnam, Gan Siow Huang 颜晓芳 and Shawn Huang Wei Zhong 黄伟中

jw5

Loyal
Keechiu is grateful to teachers. :wink:

Chan Chun Sing

Yesterday at 04:13 ·
If I could only say one thing to our teachers, it would be 感恩有你. I'm grateful to all of you.
At the Singapore Hokkien Huay Kuan's Listening Educator for Advancement and Progress (LEAP) Award and Teachers' Day Dinner, we celebrated teachers who have gone above and beyond, who have continued to take care of our students and one another.
Regardless of the trials and challenges, our teachers have always been there for our students, through thick and thin, come rain or shine.
Beyond the work they do today, our teachers continue to upskill themselves to adapt to the future, so that they are equipped with the skills to teach our students how to thrive in this ever-changing world. For that, I am grateful for all your dedication.
As the Chinese saying goes - "一日为师 终生为父". A day as a teacher, a lifetime of responsibility. Our responsibility as educators is weighty, and I'm grateful that our teachers have risen to this responsibility on every occasion.
Thank you. 感恩有你. Happy Teachers' Day!