• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

My Friend Jocelyn

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am not referring to the unruly behaviour in parliament. I am referring to noraml citizens speaking out against bad govt policies.

Looka t the 15 yr old youth who challenged HK's Chief Executive, Leung CY, abt his proposed National Education for HK schools. Leung finally backed down. Contrast it with Reuben against TCH. The Principal and his parents saw it fit to force Reuben to apologise.

Which system, HK's or SG's, prepares our youths better for the future?

The fact that Reuben stood up one to one against the TCH showed that his education has not failed him. What the Principal did, being a civil servant concerned for his job, and Minister's view of the whole affair have nothing to do with education system. It has everything to do with the political system, including the parents' reaction. It was the outcome of a major mass
resignation of MPs in the early days, an unchecked passing of an amendment to allow GRC that secures total domination of the ruling party even now and the voluntary surrender of a certain Dr who could have given twenty years of parliamentary debates on contentious issues.

Singapore school children cannot do what the HK student did not because of the education system but because of the political system that bans illegal assembly. The true nature of the children's education can be seen when students react in internationally acclaimed universities of the world.

Singapore students tend to get themselves involved in large group social activities, while HK students would go out on individual pursuits. I do not know which is better. For the community as a whole or for the individual?

king_of_abalone

Alfrescian
Loyal
i heard this story: during one ICT, scout PC tried to pull rank on his scout platoon during atec. the entire platoon refused to move out. OC and CO had to come down to pacify the platoon, needless to say, the PC kena fcuked nicely by the CO.

DB got not enough space to throw the whole platoon in ah?

This is inexcusable. The military works on a different culture and value system than the civilian world. I don't expect military commanders to have to suck their men's cocks to get them to do something they don't want to do. If that is the case, then that ceases to be an effective army and can we just not waste money on the military wayang.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would have preferred TPL to not be in rather then with GY. However, I think GY is fucked as well. I think its a good lesson. Would have been even better if TPL and GCT goes the same way as well.

I agree with you.

LKY has twisted the SG political landscape to suit the pap. It's neither democratic nor meritocractic.

GE 2011....GY was defeated and cant get into Parliament but TPL sailed in. Who is more capable and deserve to be an MP?

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The fact that Reuben stood up one to one against the TCH showed that his education has not failed him. What the Principal did, being a civil servant concerned for his job, and Minister's view of the whole affair have nothing to do with education system. It has everything to do with the political system, including the parents' reaction. It was the outcome of a major mass
resignation of MPs in the early days, an unchecked passing of an amendment to allow GRC that secures total domination of the ruling party even now and the voluntary surrender of a certain Dr who could have given twenty years of parliamentary debates on contentious issues.

Singapore school children cannot do what the HK student did not because of the education system but because of the political system that bans illegal assembly. The true nature of the children's education can be seen when students react in internationally acclaimed universities of the world.

Singapore students tend to get themselves involved in large group social activities, while HK students would go out on individual pursuits. I do not know which is better. For the community as a whole or for the individual?

Good points you raised.

Do you think the pap system augurs well for the future of SG? or a more vocal and inclusive system like the HK system is better?

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I would have preferred TPL to not be in rather then with GY. However, I think GY is fucked as well. I think its a good lesson. Would have been even better if TPL and GCT goes the same way as well.

Frankly, I think GCT and TPL should be voted out. If NS had better support from her fellow team mates, Marine Parade would have fallen too in 2011

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

This is inexcusable. The military works on a different culture and value system than the civilian world. I don't expect military commanders to have to suck their men's cocks to get them to do something they don't want to do. If that is the case, then that ceases to be an effective army and can we just not waste money on the military wayang.

I am confused by ionzu and you.

So who is right?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Go google the article. Essentially, he wanted to named his new HQ creative resources, but was rejected because its not in any "handbook" on valid building names.

I wonder what was Sim Mong Hoo trying to get from the government. If it was media related forget it. If it was money, they look at your background and if you are a Poly grad, you have less chance than a U grad, following their idea of meritocracy. A foreign company might have a better chance of getting a licence because they think it is a better bet. But in many countries, including the US, there are also a lot of no no's, e.g. In genetic engineering there is a taboo on using aborted embryos. Singapore has no such restriction.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You missed my point abt the BG and his dealings with the Minister. He was firm with his subordinates and he was convinced that the team made the right decision.

But he succumbed and obeyed the minister, although he knew the Minister made a wrong decision. That was my point.

In such anecdotes, you really do not know all the details and considerations involved. Putting a proposal on staff suggestions could be a way to show support to staff's ideas even though it could have been clear to him from the start that it would be rejected. Maybe the male directors knew this too, which the female staff did not.

So the Minister is the bad guy to turn down the suggestion but the CEO is the good guy to have put it up. I see a lot of such things happening. Not really a surprise to me. This is the real world.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Do you think NS moulds SG guys' behaviours?

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In such anecdotes, you really do not know all the details and considerations involved. Putting a proposal on staff suggestions could be a way to show support to staff's ideas even though it could have been clear to him from the start that it would be rejected. Maybe the male directors knew this too, which the female staff did not.

So the Minister is the bad guy to turn down the suggestion but the CEO is the good guy to have put it up. I see a lot of such things happening. Not really a surprise to me. This is the real world.

You may be right. But he must be a poor leader to have led the brain storming sessions and come out with a detailed plan, only to agree with his boss with less than a whimper of dissent. It shows lack of conviction, courage and leadership.

The whole team was demoralised by his lack of leadership

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sim Wong Hoo faced the same situation in his No U-turn syndrome article. No means no in Singapore. There is no such thing as an alternative route for people to take. You know a lot of people from the ruling government?

SG system is inflexible and dogmatic. It stifles creativity, innovativeness

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You may be right. But he must be a poor leader to have led the brain storming sessions and come out with a detailed plan, only to agree with his boss with less than a whimper of dissent. It shows lack of conviction, courage and leadership.

The whole team was demoralised by his lack of leadership

That is why some people says girls should also do NS, in that case all will have the same background.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is why some people says girls should also do NS, in that case all will have the same background.

Gals for NS? sure, why not? there must be a good reason why the pap is not taking up your good suggestion.

or shd we do away with NS? that way, guys wont be subservient.