• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Manchester United 2008/2009 SIGN IN HERE!!!

jw5

Loyal
Its for the benefit of all who may have missed out on the barrage of criticism by some English supporters after the game. I am sure Fergie will reply but I simply cannot buy the excuse that the Wembley pitch was cut up. That didn't stop Chelsea nor Arsenal from putting up their strongest team. Does that mean that Fergie will field youngsters if the opponents footballl field is anything like the one in Wembley for the remaining games of the season? No, i dun think he will.

As one astute United fan noted-why let the 2 central defenders take the penalties ahead of Tevez? If Ferguson was serious about winning this tie, why wasn't Rooney or Ronaldo sitting on the bench which he can turn to if it goes into penalties? The list of players on the sub-bench says it all.

Many have said it is down to his arrogance and disrespect for the opponents. I am more inclined to believe he has taken the feud with Benitez to another level by helping the 'smaller' Merseyside team reach a 'prestigious' final which their bigger neighbor has failed to do in all cup competition.
I don't think he "disrespected" the opponent, but I do think that he gave up on the FA cup to concentrate on the domestic league and champions league. The irony would be that he loses these 2 as well, but that remains to be seen. You can bet that he would have played "the strongest team" if they were playing Everton in the semis of the champions league.
The 5 penalty takers based on who were on the field and on past records should have been Tevez, Anderson, Scholes, Berbatov and possibly Ferdinand. This may not be on Fergie, as normally penalty kickers would have to volunteer before they are selected. It could be that one of the expected kickers did not volunteer or they may have been slated to bet the 5th kicker, who as it turns out was not needed.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Funnily enough I use to like Gordon Hill and the Greenhof brothers...but those were the days when United played second fiddle to the mighty Reds:rolleyes::smile::biggrin:...
. My favourite player used to be Steve Coppell, who could fire bullet crosses in from the right flank in his heyday. .

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think he "disrespected" the opponent, but I do think that he gave up on the FA cup to concentrate on the domestic league and champions league. The irony would be that he loses these 2 as well, but that remains to be seen. You can bet that he would have played "the strongest team" if they were playing Everton in the semis of the champions league.
The 5 penalty takers based on who were on the field and on past records should have been Tevez, Anderson, Scholes, Berbatov and possibly Ferdinand. This may not be on Fergie, as normally penalty kickers would have to volunteer before they are selected. It could be that one of the expected kickers did not volunteer or they may have been slated to bet the 5th kicker, who as it turns out was not needed.

Agree. I dun think it has anything to do with being 'disrespectful' to the opponent. I think they knew there was a high probabilty of a penalty shootout. Ferdinand for all his qualities is not a penalty taker.

The point is they were willing to 'throw' this game away. I dun know if they have underestimated the potential fallout from some of the seniors like Roon,Ron and Giggsy. Lets hope that is not the case. The next two games will be critical.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Funnily enough I use to like Gordon Hill and the Greenhof brothers...but those were the days when United played second fiddle to the mighty Reds:rolleyes::smile::biggrin:...

The Gordon Hill/Steve Coppell combo was the best. The game has changed since and guess what? The might reds are no longer mighty. The view up here is sheer beauty.:biggrin:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes...cycle of football...back to the 70s, I must say the wingers then were really exciting to watch, real out and out wingers like Hill and Coppell at their best...and big centre forwards like 30 goal Bob Latchford of Everton:smile:

The Gordon Hill/Steve Coppell combo was the best. The game has changed since and guess what? The might reds are no longer mighty. The view up here is sheer beauty.:biggrin:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Technology nowadays is truly amazing, instant analysis on an ipod:cool:

Homework pays off for Howard
Keeper researches penalty takers
Everton keeper Tim Howard admits he did his homework after helping to knock former club Manchester United out of the FA Cup.

Howard saved penalties from Dimitar Berbatov and Rio Ferdinand as the Toffees won 4-2 in the shoot-out after a 0-0 draw in the Wembley semi-final.

The United States international revealed he had researched where the United players might place their penalties in the build-up to the game.

United keeper Ben Foster employed a similar tactic in the Carling Cup final, with Howard acknowledging the role technology played.

Crazy
"I think for the League Cup they said they had an Ipod or something," Howard told Sky Sports News.

"Technology today is crazy. We can have a look at the penalties from the last 8 years. Obviously I was not perfect as I went the wrong way on two of them, but it helps.

"Throughout the week we studied it, knowing it could possibly go to penalties."

Regarding Berbatov's penalty which he saved with his legs after Tim Cahill missed Everton's first spot-kick, Howard concedes he had to be patient.

He added: "Listen, they all did a really good job of waiting and waiting and waiting, and I tried to be patient which was really hard in that position because the goal was gaping.

"I thought he likes to go right. If I put him off, I'm not sure, but I know he's one of the shooters that likes to wait and I got lucky."

Howard joined Everton in 2006, initially on loan from United, but insists victory is not extra special merely because it was against his old club.

"I still have good friends there and people I look up to," continued Howard. "I want them to do really well and win the league.

"When you go head-to-head, I'm a competitor, but there's no hard feelings there.

"It's always nice for me, and Louis (Saha) and Phil (Neville), who've been there and had the privilege to play for Manchester United."

jw5

Loyal
Hahaha, Gordon Hill, he was a "pure" winger wasn't he, you wouldn't find him tracking back to tackle the opposing full back.
I didn't really like the Greenhoff brothers that much, they looked more like rock stars than footballers. :smile:
As for Liverpool players, my favourite attacking players were King Kenny (what a manager as well) and the indomitable Ian Rush. People forget that Souness was considered a world class midfielder in his heyday. And as for defenders, Lawrenson and Hansen made up the best partnership ever in my opinion, better than Ferdinand and Vidic and much better than the over-rated pair of Bruce and Pallister.

jw5

Loyal
Agree. I dun think it has anything to do with being 'disrespectful' to the opponent. I think they knew there was a high probabilty of a penalty shootout. Ferdinand for all his qualities is not a penalty taker.

The point is they were willing to 'throw' this game away. I dun know if they have underestimated the potential fallout from some of the seniors like Roon,Ron and Giggsy. Lets hope that is not the case. The next two games will be critical.
I think Roon, Ron and Giggsy would all have different reactions.
Roon would be unhappy I think, but he was injured anyway.
I don't think Ron would be too bothered.
Neither would Giggsy as he has won quite a number of fa cups, but another champions league would be sweeter.
The problem would come if they don't win anymore trophies this season.

jw5

Loyal
Think we had enough discourse on last sun's match...

Back to the present (and future). Will gunners falter or at least draw at Anfield tonight? Minus Persie and Gerrard at opposite ends:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8000555.stm

Looking forward to us red devils forking the likes of pompey:p:biggrin:
Adebayor is injured as well, Eduado and Bendtner are slated to start for the gunners, with Fabianski still in goal.
I hope the gooners win. :smile:

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
With Fabianski @ goal, no chance for an upset. Pool had 7 days to prepare for this and barring last minute injuries, the reds will win this easily. I only hope Pepe Reina will play the joker tonite.

lancheowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Technology nowadays is truly amazing, instant analysis on an ipod:cool:

Homework pays off for Howard
Keeper researches penalty takers
Everton keeper Tim Howard admits he did his homework after helping to knock former club Manchester United out of the FA Cup.

Howard saved penalties from Dimitar Berbatov and Rio Ferdinand as the Toffees won 4-2 in the shoot-out after a 0-0 draw in the Wembley semi-final.

The United States international revealed he had researched where the United players might place their penalties in the build-up to the game.

United keeper Ben Foster employed a similar tactic in the Carling Cup final, with Howard acknowledging the role technology played.

Crazy
"I think for the League Cup they said they had an Ipod or something," Howard told Sky Sports News.

"Technology today is crazy. We can have a look at the penalties from the last 8 years. Obviously I was not perfect as I went the wrong way on two of them, but it helps.

"Throughout the week we studied it, knowing it could possibly go to penalties."

Regarding Berbatov's penalty which he saved with his legs after Tim Cahill missed Everton's first spot-kick, Howard concedes he had to be patient.

He added: "Listen, they all did a really good job of waiting and waiting and waiting, and I tried to be patient which was really hard in that position because the goal was gaping.

"I thought he likes to go right. If I put him off, I'm not sure, but I know he's one of the shooters that likes to wait and I got lucky."

Howard joined Everton in 2006, initially on loan from United, but insists victory is not extra special merely because it was against his old club.

"I still have good friends there and people I look up to," continued Howard. "I want them to do really well and win the league.

"When you go head-to-head, I'm a competitor, but there's no hard feelings there.

"It's always nice for me, and Louis (Saha) and Phil (Neville), who've been there and had the privilege to play for Manchester United."

technology today is used by spammers to cut and paste and indiscrimintely disseminate copious amount of irrelevant and unsolicited materials but unfortuantely technology cannot change the past for them and so they have to wait like silent lambs until may this year or the next year or the next year or the next....:smile:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
."I firmly believe he will be one of the greatest ‘keepers in the world because he has the talent....
"He's intelligent, brave and very good technically."

Wenger on Fabianski before today's game against the Reds:biggrin:
Alamak hope I don't jinx things now...LOL
With Fabianski @ goal, no chance for an upset. Pool had 7 days to prepare for this and barring last minute injuries, the reds will win this easily. .

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
."I firmly believe he will be one of the greatest ‘keepers in the world because he has the talent....
"He's intelligent, brave and very good technically."

Wenger on Fabianski before today's game against the Reds:biggrin:
Alamak hope I don't jinx things now...LOL

Blitzkrieg soccer on the cards. Wenger's anus is gonna get torn.:eek:

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think Roon, Ron and Giggsy would all have different reactions.
Roon would be unhappy I think, but he was injured anyway.
I don't think Ron would be too bothered.
Neither would Giggsy as he has won quite a number of fa cups, but another champions league would be sweeter.
The problem would come if they don't win anymore trophies this season.

The FA Cup final is like the grand finale for supporters and players alike. So whether you're in the North,South,East or West you converge one last time @ Wembley to battle for the remaining bragging rights. I wouldn't be surprise if most English players prefer the FA over CL.

The money is good for Champions League especially if teams make it to the knockout stages of the CL competition. Well with the Euro strengthening against the English peso(pound), it makes CL alot more attractive and rewarding this time around(United's top priority).

If you had read reports about Ron and Roon's desire to win everything before them, you'll feel for these lads. Anyway Fergie is bent on denying Rafa any silverware and come 30th of May, the Toffees will have something to cheer for. With the pressure shifting to Rafa to save their season, Ferguson would be hoping that they could be pressured to make mistakes along the way.

Bro, the tricky fixture is Saturday against Spurs. Harry would not want to lose to Fergie for the 4th time in a single season and judging from the form book, Spurs may just nick this one or get a draw. Then it will be the Gunners in midweek, CL semifinal.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
FERGIE PLEASED FOR TOFFEE NEVILLE

Sir Alex Ferguson feels there could be no more fitting a skipper to win the FA Cup than Phil Neville.

The Everton captain openly admitted he could not celebrate in front of the Manchester United fans after he stroked home his effort in the penalty shoot-out that eventually helped seal a May 30 showdown with Chelsea.

Instead, Neville made his way to the Toffees faithful before acknowledging his satisfaction.

And Ferguson, who had the 32-year-old under his control for a decade before letting him leave for Goodison Park in 2005, is desperately hoping Neville now leads the Merseyside club to glory.

"Phil is one of the special people in the game so I hope he is picking up that cup," said Ferguson.

"Everyone knows his connection to Manchester United. He was here so long as a kid.

"I know he was captaining Everton in a semi-final but don't tell me there was not one small part in him that was saying, 'Christ I am going to knock Manchester United out of the cup here'.

"It goes to show you the integrity of the man. He is a fantastic person and no-one in the game deserves it more than he does."

Neville knows he owes his opportunity to Ferguson's decision to field a team packed with youngsters on Sunday.

It is a call the Scot insists was right, particularly with a Barclays Premier League encounter with Portsmouth looming on Wednesday.

"I am absolutely convinced I picked the right team," he said. "I have no regrets about it at all.

"I knew there would be some criticism because it did not work for us.

"What I did was make sure our supporters were going to see a representation, not just of the future, but a squad that is strong enough to be able to cope.

"That is the issue. We have a strong enough squad to do these things. That is credit to the way we have planned it over the last two years."

Given United had the better of a contest against one of the best sides outside the top four and would probably have won if referee Mike Riley had spotted Phil Jagielka's foul on Danny Welbeck, Ferguson's bullishness over his stance is understandable.

It is also true to say making mass changes is not a new phenomenon given a number of key men, including Paul Scholes and eventual match-winner Ryan Giggs, were left on the bench for the famous FA Cup semi-final replay win over Arsenal in 1999.

"I dropped five players for that replay," recalled Ferguson.

"There are no replays now like in 1999 and we also have a stronger squad.

"But playing extra-time at Wembley is hard. We experienced it in the Carling Cup final and having had two very close games against Everton already this year, we expected it to be tough again, no matter what team I picked.

"With the programme we have got coming up, I had to take the realistic view. The priority has to be the league and the Champions League. That is a fact of life."

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
...If you have been a supporter for nearly 45 years, you wouldn't hope that the team loses the other 2 titles.
....You would still want the team to win, but you would criticize those who let the club and team down, like Fergie did this time in my opinion.
Beats me too. No personality is bigger than club. :biggrin:
I hope the gooners win.
C'mon gooners, fire away your cannons

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
All things equal, it will be the defenders who will decide the title. Utd's must score an early goal tonite and sit on it.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
All things equal, it will be the defenders who will decide the title. Utd's must score an early goal tonite and sit on it.

u copy that philip neveille thing whoelsale from football365.. at least have the courtesy to quote the source.. :cool:

Wayne Piew

Alfrescian
Loyal
With Fabianski @ goal, no chance for an upset. Pool had 7 days to prepare for this and barring last minute injuries, the reds will win this easily. I only hope Pepe Reina will play the joker tonite.

Blitzkrieg soccer on the cards. Wenger's anus is gonna get torn.:eek:

Wah, another spot-on analysis and prediction from our very own resident football pundit, Tohari Pajain wanna-be, Mr Gall-Inflated-ego. Must be hurting inside for this "FAKE" Man Utd supporter that Man Utd are closing in on yet another league title.