• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wesel

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro,
So where is your new place?
Depends on whether you superstitous or not.. most of the deliveries are indeed impacted by the hari raya festive period..
full payments for renovation & furniture.. awaiting the 3+2 sofa set soon..
A 3 day stay in SEG.. glad to say, no mosquitoes during the evenings..
Fixed up the antenna (cheapo type) but only can receive the malaysian channels..
For internet connections, checked with the residents club & they say signals weak so only TM for now.. (may need to ask various mobile operators to confirm)

My place is HH-GE.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
100% not your imagination - CNA's poll says 81% will not put up the national flag.

Seriously, who has the mood to? Public transport fares went up just prior to N'Day, 3 months after GE there are still not much resolutions by the govt on all the ills from high cost of living. My monthly income tax just shot up 33%..... enough said, isn't it?

Property tax and utilities bill also shoot up. LKY can enjoy air con without worry, the lesser mortals must live frugal lives without air con.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Russia has really progressed under Putin.

It still is the largest country in the world.

Sadly can't say the same for Spore, can't see any progress since 90s, only regress. From no flood to got flood to overcrowded bus and MRT, of course if compare against staying in kampong and no MRT days, got progress lor. But we had MRT since 1988? Back then it was a clean, nice and pleasant mode of transportation.

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
Property tax and utilities bill also shoot up. LKY can enjoy air con without worry, the lesser mortals must live frugal lives without air con.

LKY said JB is full of robbers and carjackers because his enemy ran there. KBW said JB so cheap and good can send parents to retire there because his friend opened nursing home there. We have to take care and plan for ourselves.

lastresort

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is anyone having the same problem? How come cannot see the last page of this thread?

I have the same problem too, it is common in some forums after having too many pages in a thread, the last page (or last few pages) is non existent. The last post will be on the last viewable page. :smile: Maybe the admin can do something to fix it though. :cool:

mallow

Alfrescian
Loyal
jasonjst OK thanks , will try out over the weekend , hope to get more plants out of it , cheer ! Dont know what kind of plant is this , they are selling it at quite a high price like hundred plus , lor ...Bros , I got a mango tree already one over year , anyway to make it bear fruits faster ? Need how long for it to bear fruits hur ?
I think mine is macotting one leh , when I bought the little tree it actually got 3 mangos with it . After I eaten it , no more fruit for next one yr liao , haha .

Traditional planters say the tree planted from seed is "stronger" than a marcotted one. I do not care if this is true, being 61. Besides, my cousin planted a superb durian marcotted tree and it has been producing good fruit for more than 16 years ... how much more can you ask for? A mangosteen seed planted in good soil takes 17 [seventeen!] years to fruit/ and who has not heard of someone planting a male tree which has never fruited? Plus some seeds do not replicate the same quality of fruit as you got from the original tree or even simply cannot fruit ... eg the avocado. Heck! Life is short, I would go with make it sweeter with a more expensive marcotted tree from a reliable source.

mallow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lots of chillies in my garden..... Some as long as 5-6" How the hell did that happen!!

Oh well done! Five years ago I had a prolific chili padi which I had not myself planted. However you cut it back it came at you again gloriously putting out leaves, flowers and fruit. Here my three attempts at planting chillies [and one was already doing fine in a pot] were utter failures. Sigh .... Will determindly keep trying!

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
Russia has really progressed under Putin.It still is the largest country in the world.

"Yuan Strengthens Beyond 6.4 Per Dollar for First Time Since 1993China’s Yuan Strengthens Beyond 6.40 Per DollarAug. 11 (Bloomberg) -- The yuan strengthened beyond 6.4 per dollar for the first time in 17 years, supported by the Federal Reserve’s pledge to keep interest rates at a record low and signs China will use currency gains to help rein in inflation.The currency rose 0.36 percent to 6.3948 per dollar as of 1:47 p.m. in Shanghai, its biggest jump in nine months, according to the China Foreign Exchange Trade System. It touched 6.3938, the strongest level since the country unified official and market exchange rates at the end of 1993. The central bank’s reference rate was boosted 0.27 percent to 6.3991.The International Monetary Fund said last month a stronger yuan would help stabilize the global economy, as well as aid government efforts to tame inflation and rebalance the nation’s growth toward domestic demand and away from exports. Data this week showed record overseas sales helped drive China’s trade surplus to a two-year high in July and consumer prices rose at the fastest pace in three years.“The inflation and trade data, together with the Fed’s policy to maintain extremely low interest rates, have fueled faster appreciation,” said Banny Lam, an economist at CCB International Securities in Hong Kong. “Strong economic growth, supported by the latest export figures, also provides investors with confidence to buy the yuan in these turbulent times.”U.S. CriticismThe yuan is the sole gainer this month among Asia’s 10 most-used currencies excluding the yen, having advanced 0.7 percent versus the dollar as a Standard & Poor’s downgrade of the U.S. credit rating and a rout in global equities prompted investors to pull back from riskier assets. The MSCI Emerging Markets Index of shares dropped 14 percent since July.The Fed said on Aug. 9 it would maintain its record-low policy rate of zero to 0.25 percent at least through mid-2013 to revive a recovery it described as “considerably slower” than anticipated. The Federal Open Market Committee is “prepared to employ” additional tools to bolster the economy, said the monetary authority, which bought $2.3 trillion of debt since December 2008 during two rounds of so-called quantitative easing.The U.S. will likely announce a third round of asset purchases, which would spur global inflation and boost the flow of “hot money” to China, the Beijing-based National Development and Reform Commission said yesterday. Kenneth Rogoff, a Harvard University economist, a day earlier also forecast the Fed will pump more dollars into the financial system.Increased supply contributed to the dollar being the worst performer of 16 major global currencies since quantitative easing began. Australia’s dollar jumped 48 percent versus the greenback since 2008, the Swiss franc climbed 46 percent and Brazil’s real rose 43 percent. The yuan gained 6.7 percent.Forwards JumpIn Hong Kong’s offshore market, the yuan gained 0.28 percent today to 6.3938 per dollar. Twelve-month non-deliverable forwards rose 0.86 percent to 6.3065, the biggest gain since December, based on data compiled by Bloomberg. The premium to the onshore exchange rate widened to 1.4 percent from a two-year low of 0.4 percent on Aug. 9, the largest two-day jump since a two-year currency peg ended in June 2010.China may adjust its foreign-exchange policy to place less emphasis on the yuan’s value versus the dollar, the Economic Information Daily reported today, citing Pan Zhengyan, a researcher with the Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences.Treasury HoldingsThe People’s Bank of China buys dollars to limit currency gains as capital flows into the country, a policy that’s made it the biggest foreign holder of Treasuries. Faster appreciation may stem purchases of U.S. government debt as the Fed’s loose monetary policy weighs on the dollar.China’s $3.2 trillion of reserves are the world’s largest and compare with a combined $1.1 trillion for Brazil, India and Russia. Policy makers should urgently assess the risks from being the main investor in U.S. debt and accelerate diversification of the reserves, the Financial News reported today, citing Xia Bin, a central bank adviser.“The strong rebound in the trade surplus, together with less willingness to accumulate more foreign-exchange reserves given the structural weakness of the U.S. dollar, are likely behind the recent rapid pace of yuan appreciation,” said Chang Jian, an economist at Barclays Capital in Hong Kong, who formerly worked for the World Bank. She predicts the currency will appreciate at a rate of 5 percent to 7 percent a year.China’s overseas sales rose 20 percent from a year earlier to $175.1 billion in July, exceeding imports by $31.5 billion, the customs bureau reported yesterday. U.S. officials including Treasury Secretary Timothy F. Geithner and New York Senator Charles Schumer say China keeps the yuan undervalued to gain an unfair trade advantage.Trading BandAfter keeping the exchange rate stable for a decade, China allowed its currency to strengthen 21 percent from July 2005 to July 2008, including an initial, single-day gain of 2 percent. Appreciation was then halted for almost two years to help exporters weather a global recession and the currency has advanced 6.3 percent against the dollar since controls were loosened on June 19, 2010.A return to a fixed exchange rate is unlikely as “the economy is more resilient than it was three years ago,” according to Liu Li-Gang, chief China economist at Australia & New Zealand Banking Group Ltd. in Hong Kong. Faster appreciation “may signal China’s intention to widen the yuan trading band,” he said.The yuan is currently allowed to trade up to 0.5 percent on either side of the daily reference rate set by the central bank. The band was last expanded on May 18, 2007, from 0.3 percent.Today's Bloomberg report. "

If any I'd rather the Chinese Yuan be the Alternative currency. A very much bigger reserve and a "wiser" investor! :smile:

Last edited:

avalon74

Alfrescian
Loyal
100% not your imagination - CNA's poll says 81% will not put up the national flag.
Seriously, who has the mood to? Public transport fares went up just prior to N'Day, 3 months after GE there are still not much resolutions by the govt on all the ills from high cost of living. My monthly income tax just shot up 33%..... enough said, isn't it?

Income tax shot up is a good sign since there is a 20% reduction in tax YA 2011.
That effectively means you earned much more last year than previous year..

Anyway, next years tax rates are moderately reduced..

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ur write ups on gardening are a learning experience.

I enjoy it all the more as i get to read good English...

I am having a hard time as well....

Give you an example....

I bought Hibiscus, purple coloured chillies, short and fat red chillies and green chillies of the ornamental variety.

I planted them in my garden... They looked alright for a week....

But when the blistering heat of the past few weeks appeared the plants wilted and almost died....

The sad part was that i was not around to water them regularly to protect them from the heat...

Another bad experience was when i got my maid to replant the papaya plants.

its been almost a month and a half and there are hardly any new leaves on the transplanted papaya plants..

Why do the plants almost die after replanting?

Something is wrong out here.....

Oh well done! Five years ago I had a prolific chili padi which I had not myself planted. However you cut it back it came at you again gloriously putting out leaves, flowers and fruit. Here my three attempts at planting chillies [and one was already doing fine in a pot] were utter failures. Sigh .... Will determindly keep trying!

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Takes 17 years ?

Wow...

I like the part bolded below

Traditional planters say the tree planted from seed is "stronger" than a marcotted one. I do not care if this is true, being 61. Besides, my cousin planted a superb durian marcotted tree and it has been producing good fruit for more than 16 years ... how much more can you ask for? A mangosteen seed planted in good soil takes 17 [seventeen!] years to fruit/ and who has not heard of someone planting a male tree which has never fruited? Plus some seeds do not replicate the same quality of fruit as you got from the original tree or even simply cannot fruit ... eg the avocado. Heck! Life is short, I would go with make it sweeter with a more expensive marcotted tree from a reliable source.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
For those who are using Smart phones it would be good to subscribe to a pfingo account...

The pfingo syncs in with your contact list on ur smart phone.

ppl call u on ur spore no...

u dun need to answer... u can call right away from ur pfingo no charged at 2c per minute

text at 3c per text i think its reasonable

now the only issue is u need access to a 3g data line..

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
For those who wanna use internet just for surfing purposes with minimal video streaming and just wanna pay as you use.... you can subscribe to either of the following from Digi...

1) Rm 3 per day plan
2) Rm 15/week plan (till end august its rm 10 per week). rebate will be refunded in sept

Important thing to bear in mind if you are a Digi subscriber is to have a cheap nokia $35 phone with you which has no internet connectivity.

You can subscribe to the rm 3 per day plan on this phone. and then transfer the sim to your smart phone.

Now if you dun intend to use ur rm3 for the subsequent day make sure you turn it off before midnight.

I think its *116#

Now if you dun do this.... and your sim is in ur smart phone it connects to the Digi Data network and you get charged Rm 8 per day unlimited data usage...

the above plans 1 and 2 are unlimited too.

mallow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ur write ups on gardening are a learning experience...I am having a hard time as well.... Give you an example....I bought Hibiscus, purple coloured chillies, short and fat red chillies and green chillies of the ornamental variety.I planted them in my garden... They looked alright for a week....But when the blistering heat of the past few weeks appeared the plants wilted and almost died.... The sad part was that i was not around to water them regularly to protect them from the heat...
Another bad experience was when i got my maid to replant the papaya plants. its been almost a month and a half and there are hardly any new leaves on the transplanted papaya plants...Why do the plants almost die after replanting? Something is wrong out here.....

Actually, nothing unusual from what you wrote. In the first instance, you know they died because they lacked one of the essential ingredients: water. The other two are good soil and sunshine. Papaya plants are finicky, not at all enjoying the transplanting and culling - unlike the money plant which can thrive indoors in airconditioning with almost no sun.
Persevere with the papayas - try different locations, make sure they are properly watered. They keep growing upwards, so if by the second floor, one day you can just lean over and pick them. After some years you may want to chop it, and hope for a new tree ... no one can tell you if that will happen. Nor can anyone yet tell you how to get that marvellous multiple-headed tree, each head producing fruit.

erm ... it might be your maid does not enjoy gardening and so has "hot hands" ... didn't you once write that your plants only began to thrive after you took over yourself? If this is the case, either offer her a bonus for the additional work specifically of gardening [and check if her attitude actually changed ... praise her if they begin to do well] or keep her away from helpless and highly sensitive plants.

Look up the experiments of physicist turned plant biologist Jagadish Chandra Bose, early in the last century. People laugh at Pr Charles for speaking to plants [one has other reasons to dislike him], but JCB's experiments were startling, showing such sensitivity and consciousness in the various plants he attached his own invented apparatus to, that science had to acknowledge he was correct. And before anyone makes disparaging remarks about Indians or bleeding heart vegetarians, in a published scientific paper with Albert Einstein, the paper is entitled "The Bose-Einstein Effect" ... note that Boses's name comes first.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Same issue for me as well.
Been a couple of very frustrating weeks and very busy too so didn't have time to even go online or update blog much.

Btw, not sure if someone has already shared this but noticed that there is now a dedicated lane for MACS holders at the
2nd link as well (extreme right)

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, nothing unusual from what you wrote. In the first instance, you know they died because they lacked one of the essential ingredients: water. The other two are good soil and sunshine. Papaya plants are finicky, not at all enjoying the transplanting and culling - unlike the money plant which can thrive indoors in airconditioning with almost no sun.
Persevere with the papayas - try different locations, make sure they are properly watered. They keep growing upwards, so if by the second floor, one day you can just lean over and pick them. After some years you may want to chop it, and hope for a new tree ... no one can tell you if that will happen. Nor can anyone yet tell you how to get that marvellous multiple-headed tree, each head producing fruit.

erm ... it might be your maid does not enjoy gardening and so has "hot hands" ... didn't you once write that your plants only began to thrive after you took over yourself? If this is the case, either offer her a bonus for the additional work specifically of gardening [and check if her attitude actually changed ... praise her if they begin to do well] or keep her away from helpless and highly sensitive plants.

Look up the experiments of physicist turned plant biologist Jagadish Chandra Bose, early in the last century. People laugh at Pr Charles for speaking to plants [one has other reasons to dislike him], but JCB's experiments were startling, showing such sensitivity and consciousness in the various plants he attached his own invented apparatus to, that science had to acknowledge he was correct. And before anyone makes disparaging remarks about Indians or bleeding heart vegetarians, in a published scientific paper with Albert Einstein, the paper is entitled "The Bose-Einstein Effect" ... note that Boses's name comes first.

Dear Mallow , how to get a good quality papaya plant ? Can I simply buy a good quality papaya , eat it and use the seed to glow the plant ? OR is the a faster way to do it like macotting ? Thanks and rdgs

mallow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Mallow , how to get a good quality papaya plant ? Can I simply buy a good quality papaya , eat it and use the seed to glow the plant ? OR is the a faster way to do it like macotting ? Thanks and rdgs

Not possible to marcot a papaya tree - soft bark, and so easy to grow [really!] no one has bothered to try.

Certainly use the seeds from a good papaya. They should be dried a couple of days then planted - probably where they are to end up, since they hate being disturbed. Remove the weak seedlings later.

Papayas start flowering when they are about one metre tall. The males flower first. Male flowers have long, thin stalks with several small blooms. Female flowers are usually single blooms, bigger, and very close to the trunk. Many are happily bi-sexual, so the tree will fruit. Small fruit can show when the tree is only a metre high. It can grow to 3-4 metres.

Soil

Papayas perform best on deep, well-drained soils with high organic matter. Most soil types are suitable but avoid heavy clay soils. A topsoil depth of 1 m is preferred for optimum growth and production, with a minimum depth of 0.5 m essential to avoid waterlogging. Just dig as deep as your back and patience will allow lah.

Drainage

Good drainage is very important for papaya production to minimise loss of trees to root rots and waterlogging. Papaya does not like wet soils, so avoid sites that are prone to seepage or waterlogging. NEVER water with salty water.

The above: some mine and some from the net. Explore the net for more info. This is the healthiest fruit to eat, the leaves wrapped round meat are natural tenderizers, the stems some people will know how to utilise. You can also eat green papaya - the Sikhs have a marvellous vegetarirecipe using it, as probably do most Indians.

Status
Not open for further replies.