• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Latest victim of sky-high COE prices - Mazda Motor Singapore

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
20110905.142436_mazda.jpg

55-year-old Mazda dealership to end
blank.gif
SINGAPORE - Mazda Motor Singapore, the dealership for Mazda here, will cease to exist at the end of next month, according to a report in The Straits Times.

The local dealership has two showrooms here: one in Kampong Ampat Road, off MacPherson Road, and the other in Alexandra Road.

Mazda Motor of Japan will appoint a new agent <innity></innity>here, the report said.

A likely candidate is the Eurokars Group, a company that also holds franchises for other car brands: Porsche, Rolls-Royce, Mini, Saab and Opel.

The group also owns three Mazda dealerships in Indonesia.

The report said that troubles for the home-grown dealership began in 2009 when supplies of certificates of entitlement began to shrink. Coupled with competition, Mazda Motor Singapore's sales was halved.

It added that in 2009, the family-held distributor sold 1,600 cars. In 2010, sales dropped to around 1,200 units. For the first half of this year, it sold only about 180 cars.

The report also mentioned that several other parties have been pitching for the Mazda franchise.

<tbody>
</tbody>

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i dunno, maybe I am wrong..but my impression with Mazda is the saloon car lack power. once i try to race a souped up Kancil on NS highway in a Mazada 3..KNN acceleration boh lak...malu..
and jiak you....

no economical.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The kancil is very light lah.. Plus if it was souped up, it will be a serious pocket rocket. A motorbike on 4 wheels.

But I can guess it's like driving a go kart.. will vibrate like hell!!

Fearless Jedi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mazda cars are well known for high fuel consumption. They have some fast models like the RX7, RX8 but the way it gulps petrol, you would think twice driving it. The Mazda 6 and the CX7 are also heavy drinkers. The cars are also not cheap. The Mazda 3 are sluggish and uneconomical.There are actually no good reasons to buy a Mazda unless you really like the design otherwise consider the Korean models and save money too.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
RX7 and RX8 use rotary engines which are well known for drinking petrol. The good thing about rotary engines is the light weight compared to piston engines. That's why these engines are put into sports cars models only.

Actually Mazda is one of the more innovative car Japanese companies. They were never shy to use new/different technologies in their cars - like the rotary engine. I remember they were also the first to have 4 wheel steering in their high end models.

Last edited:

Fearless Jedi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rotrary engines were the rage 20 years ago- Mazda Savanna. It was a different engine when the cylinder engines were the standard, still is. However, given the technology today, the rotrary engines are rotting. The buzz word now is powerful efficiency. A petrol guzzling powerful engine has no more place in todays' automobile industry, just look at the VWs TSI and even the powerful disel engines. They are the trend today and Mazda has to actually reinvent its engines not just exterior designs.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I remember they were also the first to have 4 wheel steering in their high end models.

That is Honda Prelude in 1987.

The first commercial 4WS vehicle is from Diamler-Benz. But Benz stopped production when the 4WD 4WS off-roads ran into stability problems in German famous autobahn.

Yoshitei

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mazda cars are well known for high fuel consumption. They have some fast models like the RX7, RX8 but the way it gulps petrol, you would think twice driving it. The Mazda 6 and the CX7 are also heavy drinkers. The cars are also not cheap. The Mazda 3 are sluggish and uneconomical.There are actually no good reasons to buy a Mazda unless you really like the design otherwise consider the Korean models and save money too.

I used to drive a GG Mazda 6 2.3 back when it was first launched and regularly hit 700km on a full tank. My XV40 Camry 2.4 got me 550km and my NF Sonata 2.4 650km on a full tank.

Personally, it all boils down to the driver.

As for the RX7 and RX8, these are rotary engines. Yes, they're 1.3L and their fuel consumption is much higher than a 4 cylinder of the same capacity but at 50% the weight and the power equilivent of a 2.4L engine. They do have their strengths from an engine design perspective.

Last edited:

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mazda 6 previous generation very hamsome but current generation's design is a step backward.
Mazda 3 are driven by low life ah bengs, crunch time sure have to close shop.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Ironic, considering that in Oz, Mazda is doing pretty well.

Imports put local car makers into a skid
Andrew Heasle
<cite>September 6, 2011</cite>

ipad-art-wide-mazda-420x0.jpg
Top seller ... the Mazda 3.

MOTORISTS are turning their backs on locally made cars, with the latest sales figures showing more than eight out of every 10 vehicles sold last month were made overseas.
Official new car sales figures show of the 88,082 vehicles sold in August, 73,891 were imported from Asia, Europe and the Americas, representing an 84 per cent share of the market.
Highlighting the precarious state of local manufacturing, only 14,191 of the vehicles sold in August, or 16 per cent, were made in Australia.
<noscript> <iframe id="dcAd-1-3" src="http://ad-apac.doubleclick.net/adi/onl.smh.auto/drive;ctype=article;cat=drive;pos=3;sz=300x250;tile=3;ord=7.4822613E7?" width='300' height='250' scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" allowtransparency="true" frameborde</noscript>
Of them, Holden sold 7853 (Commodore and the new Cruze four-cylinder), Ford sold 3883 (Falcon and Territory wagon) and Toyota sold just 2455 locally made vehicles (Camry and Aurion).
In an industry where every fraction of market share is a hard won gain, it's a significant turnaround from 2005, for example, when locally made cars represented more than one in four vehicles sold, industry VFACTS figures show.
Now local cars are on the slide: Ford has sold 9811 fewer locally made cars so far this year, Toyota 5610 fewer. Only Holden is making headway, having added the Cruze to its portfolio.
Car brands that consist of entirely imported model ranges are enjoying stellar growth - Japan's Mazda set an all-time August sales record of 9138 cars (up 41 per cent on the same time last year), including selling 4234 Mazda3s - displacing Holden's Commodore as the top-selling car last month.

Korea's Hyundai shifted 7417 cars (up 13.1 per cent), Japan's Nissan sold 5587 vehicles (up 18 per cent) and Mitsubishi 4851 vehicles (up 7.8 per cent).

The Japanese figures are all the more remarkable given the country is still recovering from March's devastating earthquake and tsunami disasters.

The Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries defended the performance of local manufacturers, characterising Australia's new car market as one of the most competitive in the world.
''There are over 60 brands available to consumers, which is double the brands available in the much bigger US market and about the same number of brands available in Europe, where they sell 10 million cars a year, compared to our one million,'' the chamber's acting chief executive, Steve Payne, said.

''It's a continuing challenge for the local manufacturer to keep competitive.

''The high Australian dollar is a double whammy, because it makes imported vehicles more attractive and a large number of Australian vehicles are exported, which makes it harder for Australian manufacturers to win those export markets when the Australian dollar is so high.''

Most of all, local manufacturers need stable, long-term industry policies that car company head office's can base investment decisions on, not a government that ''chops and changes'' policies, Mr Payne said.

He said it was an industry worth saving as the automotive sector employs 60,000 directly, among manufacturers and suppliers, and at least another 250,000 indirectly.

Despite their problems, Toyota, Holden and Ford finished in the top three spots in accrued sales by brand so far this year, boosted by imported models.

Last edited:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The death of mazda in singapore is due to the COE prices. I believe the latest premiums are around 70k.

Already expected the low end chinese brands (Geely, chery) and other new entrants like citroen to die off. Seriously, who will pay $100k for a Milo tin?

But I never thought even a mid range brand like Mazda will get affected.

Last edited:

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
excuses lah.................simply not competitive lor the brand..............

can't sell well compared to the ''usual'' big name Jap brands................plus now got Volkswagen some more............

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

There are some poorly maintained new Mazdas in OZ because of the high cost of Mazda car servicing.
Mazda is the most expensive car to service, 2nd place is Honda.
Also, there are some shonky dealerships who are overcharging the car owners.

Last edited:

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mazda 6 previous generation very hamsome but current generation's design is a step backward.
Mazda 3 are driven by low life ah bengs, crunch time sure have to close shop.

The main problem is that Mazda cars have no image, no personality, of all the Japanese cars.

Subaru owners, through their WRX, convey macho-ness.
Toyota - practical, down to earth.
Mitsubishi - also lacks personality

All their ads have focused on price, lower price, cheap price - nothing on value or to make a Mazda owner feel proud.