• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Latest victim of sky-high COE prices - Mazda Motor Singapore

Fearless Jedi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mazda 6 and 3 started the trend for the Japanese to re-look at their ugly designs. Only after Mazda 6/3 came out that other Japanese makers like Mitsubishi etc follow suit.

Mazda are the few if not only Japanese car maker that gives their car a Continental spirit. It feels and drives like a Continental car. The Mazda 3 shares the same platform as Ford Focus and Volvo S40. Compare it with the ever popular Corolla and you can see how stark a difference the level of luxury is.

In today's market, the Japanese cars have improved so much that the "continental" feel is a thing of the past. The Jap cars of yester years were lighter and didn't have the heavy feel of the European cars. But with fuel injection, powersteering, better spension and better tyre technology, the Jap cars feels solid. In contrast the China cars with their older technology feels heavy, some interpret it as solid but the truth is just that it is inferior.

I would not consider Mazda cars as the Jap car with continental feel. Have owned Mazdas, last one was a SFD plate, the feel is truly Japanese and not any better than toyotas,Nissan or Mit. The Ford focus was actually engineered to perform like a Jap car as Ford was not doing well in the sub-compact category. The ford laser is actually a Mazda 3 ugly cousin. Just don't think much of Mazda.

Fearless Jedi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unfortuantely, its was a 6, drove for 2+ years lost quite a bit. COE halved. Didn't like the consumption at all. Drive was ok but not very much better than its Jap comtemporaries. Zoom

Yoshitei

Alfrescian
Loyal
In today's market, the Japanese cars have improved so much that the "continental" feel is a thing of the past. The Jap cars of yester years were lighter and didn't have the heavy feel of the European cars. But with fuel injection, powersteering, better spension and better tyre technology, the Jap cars feels solid. In contrast the China cars with their older technology feels heavy, some interpret it as solid but the truth is just that it is inferior.

I would not consider Mazda cars as the Jap car with continental feel. Have owned Mazdas, last one was a SFD plate, the feel is truly Japanese and not any better than toyotas,Nissan or Mit. The Ford focus was actually engineered to perform like a Jap car as Ford was not doing well in the sub-compact category. The ford laser is actually a Mazda 3 ugly cousin. Just don't think much of Mazda.

Actually, I my Mazda 6 felt better in terms of handling compared to the newer Camry I subsequently had.

LonewolfAlfa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I used to drive a GG Mazda 6 2.3 back when it was first launched and regularly hit 700km on a full tank. My XV40 Camry 2.4 got me 550km and my NF Sonata 2.4 650km on a full tank.

Personally, it all boils down to the driver.

As for the RX7 and RX8, these are rotary engines. Yes, they're 1.3L and their fuel consumption is much higher than a 4 cylinder of the same capacity but at 50% the weight and the power equilivent of a 2.4L engine. They do have their strengths from an engine design perspective.

in addition to my alfa, i'm also driving the rx8. this is a high rev engine and its really smooth hitting 8k. its feels like an electric engine. its great for zipping around town, and this car eats corners and spits them out effortlessly thanks to the 50/50 weight ratio.

however at high speeds of 230km/h, the rx8 feels like it could fly off whereas the alfa still feels firmly planted.

Yoshitei

Alfrescian
Loyal
in addition to my alfa, i'm also driving the rx8. this is a high rev engine and its really smooth hitting 8k. its feels like an electric engine. its great for zipping around town, and this car eats corners and spits them out effortlessly thanks to the 50/50 weight ratio.

however at high speeds of 230km/h, the rx8 feels like it could fly off whereas the alfa still feels firmly planted.

50/50 weight ration is not ideal for good handling cars... Under braking, your weight ration is pretty much screwed. But having said that, it should be good enough for most.

I had an RX-7, car handled pretty well at speeds of 300km/h. But it's seen a fair amount of modifications. Used to run along side the silver Diablo from Diamond Industries along the NS highway.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder why no one has yet mentioned the demise of the RX 8 production. Seems like it has to be stopped due to not meeting european standards.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/50178/mazda-rx-8-to-be-retired-at-years-end-new-model-by-2013-report

Discount New Cars Get the best price on a new Mazda RX-8

UPDATE: Comment from Mazda Australia's Steve McIver added.

UNABLE TO meet Europe's strict Euro V emissions laws, the Mazda RX-8 will reportedly be pulled from the European market later this year.

According to Britain's Autocar magazine, rather than re-engineering the existing Renesis rotary engine so late in the RX-8's life cycle, the Japanese carmaker has decided to retire the current generation all together.

While Europe's emissions laws are understood to be the reason behind the decision, it is unclear if the model will be cancelled globally or in Europe only. Autocar's report claims that production of the current RX-8 has ended, leaving only current stock available to buyers.

Speaking with TMR today, Mazda Australia's Steve McIver said that, despite reports to the contrary, there has been no decision to cancel the current-generation RX-8.

"There's been no decision on discontinuing the current RX-8. Production continues, and Mazda is always working to improve its rotary technology," Mr McIver said.

The RX-8 was last updated early in 2008, gaining a modestly restyled face and a number of new features. Updates to the Renesis engine saw the same 170kW on offer, but with enhanced low-to-mid range response.

Mazda was reportedly due to unveil an all-new RX-8 at last year's Frankfurt Auto Show, but no such model has been seen or heard of in the time since those early reports last year.

At this stage, the next generation of Mazda's four-door coupe is expected to debut sometime next year, although without even a concept or spy photos - the usual signs of an upcoming new model - it remains to be seen if that report is reliable.

A new 1.6 litre direct-injected rotary engine is in development, however reports out of Japan claim that Mazda's engineers are struggling to bring weight down, as it pushes to reduce the overall weight of its cars by 100kg within five years.

TMR has contacted Mazda Australia to confirm the reports of the RX-8's retirement, and will update this report as more information becomes available.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
20111019.151549_eurokars.jpg

Trans-Eurokars confirms Mazda franchise takeover
The group that runs five other car franchises here, will steer the Mazda franchise from as early as Nov 1. -AsiaOne

Wed, Oct 19, 2011
AsiaOne

The Trans-Eurokars Group will take over the Mazda franchise in Singapore, according to a report in The Straits Times yesterday.

The Group, owned by Mr Karsono Kwee, runs five other car franchises here: Porsche, Mini, Rolls-Royce, Saab and Opel.

Trans-Eurokars will start running the Mazda franchise as early as Nov 1 or latest, by Dec 1, the paper said.

The Group will operate out of Mazda's current showroom at 315 Alexandra Road, next to Ikea, until October next year to fulfil a lease requirement.

The showroom will then move to 23 Leng Kee Road, where the Opel showroom is located, before a dedicated Mazda facility is built, the paper added.

Mr Kwee told the paper that a flagship Mazda building will be built at No. 5 Leng Kee Road. Currrently location also houses the Trans-Eurokar office and the Saab showroon.

The businessman admitted that it is not easy selling Japanese cars in the current climate that is dominated by premium German brands.

But Mr Kwee expressed hope that Mazda has a long-term future, what with new models coming here next year. These include the CX-5 crossover in 2012's first quarter, the Mazda5 and the CX9.

The Mazda franchise has been held by the Phng family for 55 years. Troubles started when a shrinking supply of COEs and strong competition reduced it sales.

According to the paper, it only sold 220 cars in the first nine months of this year.

Mr Kwee revealed to the paper that they aim to sell 800 to 1,000 Mazdas a year.

[email protected]

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
waulau mazda limlopi liao....sad case...good bye jalan ampat!....actually mazdas useless cars...always gives problems.....tried hard but sales no good leh! better close shop lah...

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
waulau mazda limlopi liao....sad case...good bye jalan ampat!....actually mazdas useless cars...always gives problems.....tried hard but sales no good leh! better close shop lah...

leetahbar clone, if you have nothing constructive to add, just don't post.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Jalan Ampat Mazda showroom no more. Now Empty.