• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is it a car tyre problem or is it a bad fengshui issue? These four cars lost control at the same spot.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've already noticed that long ago. It's the curve the swing of the bridge and if plus the correct wind condition and if your car is light or tyres botak a bit you'll drift. That's why it pays to drive big heavier but powerful continental cars.

When ever on a no blockage high bridge i would roughly can feel the wind thrust on the car body or just be slower most of those bridge have only 70 km/h and not 90 km/h ok !
Continental cars are getting lighter with every new model due to emission regulations.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
once you go suv you don't go back.

Actually between driving Corolla and SUV (RAV4, Ford Expedition and Suzuki XL-7) I dont mind the Corolla. Quite fun also. Feels like a sports car. Low. And it can zip around the big guys better. I can see what you mean by "handling".

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually between driving Corolla and SUV (RAV4, Ford Expedition and Suzuki XL-7) I dont mind the Corolla. Quite fun also. Feels like a sports car. Low. And it can zip around the big guys better. I can see what you mean by "handling".
the 2020 corolla is the best of all the corollas, imo.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
the 2020 corolla is the best of all the corollas, imo.

Wow it even has sporty DUAL EXHAUST!

LOL!

ok lah if I ever do need to get a car (probably won't) I will get the Corolla again. Sad that my 2011 Corolla got killed by some young punk!

Frankly car really very waste of money. Not just the upfront payment. Also got to maintain. Gas. Insurance. Insurance is the killer.

My son is 18. So his insurance a year is CAD$5k+! Doesn't matter what car! Comprehensive is $5k! 3rd party only is $2500+ but if hit and run and cannot find the driver car is GONE!

So I am very reluctant to buy any nice car liao.

Family will share the Expedition and 2 RAV4s we have until NONG NONG man.....

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wow it even has sporty DUAL EXHAUST!

LOL!

ok lah if I ever do need to get a car (probably won't) I will get the Corolla again. Sad that my 2011 Corolla got killed by some young punk!

Frankly car really very waste of money. Not just the upfront payment. Also got to maintain. Gas. Insurance. Insurance is the killer.

My son is 18. So his insurance a year is CAD$5k+! Doesn't matter what car! Comprehensive is $5k! 3rd party only is $2500+ but if hit and run and cannot find the driver car is GONE!

So I am very reluctant to buy any nice car liao.

Family will share the Expedition and 2 RAV4s we have until NONG NONG man.....
safer if teens don’t drive a carload of teens. 69% chance of trouble.

nirvarq

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
1598054079826.png
1598054124088.png

once you go suv you don't go back.

Actually MPV

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Likely poor tyre condition. Sinkie drivers either very cheapskate or forgetful, wait until something happens then change tyres.

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SINGAPORE — The authorities will be carrying out works to improve safety on a segment of the Pan Island Expressway (PIE) along Jalan Anak Bukit, following a spate of skidding incidents. The Land Transport Authority (LTA) said it has studied this segment of the PIE and said the majority of accidents at this location were due to speeding.
"We also carried out skid resistance readings for this segment and they are within the normal range," LTA said in a Facebook post on Saturday (Aug 22). "For added safety, we will broaden the lane markings, re-paint the parapet wall with directional arrows, and install new signs along the road segment. We will also bring forward our plan to re-surface the coating for this section of the PIE, including
For added safety, we will broaden the lane markings, re-paint the parapet wall with directional arrows, and install new signs along the road segment. We will also bring forward our plan to re-surface the coating for this section of the PIE, including the road shoulder.
The Land Transport Authority (LTA) said it has studied this segment of the PIE and said the majority of accidents at this location were due to speeding

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
LTA has responded:
===============================================
Land Transport Authority – We Keep Your World Moving
pada hari Sabtu
We have studied this segment of the PIE at Jalan Anak Bukit. The majority of accidents at this location are due to speeding. We also carried out skid resistance readings for this segment and they are within the normal range.
For added safety, we will broaden the lane markings, re-paint the parapet wall with directional arrows, and install new signs along the road segment. We will also bring forward our plan to re-surface the coating for this section of the PIE, including the road shoulder. Works should start next week. Meanwhile, we would like to remind motorists to exercise greater caution when driving in rainy conditions and avoid speeding.

Now are we supposed to believe "The majority of accidents at this location are due to speeding."

There is no speed camera. How LTA know they are speeding? Stupid taichi.

Qn is when was the last time it was resurfaced and what was the frequency of accidents before that resurfacing? For all we know, LTA's resurfacing caused the increase in the accident rate on that stretch because from what I remember, the previous asphalt surface was more grittier.

LTA, did you inadvertently caused all these by changing the surfacing and now want to quietly revert back to original?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LTA has responded:
Land Transport Authority – We Keep Your World Moving
pada hari Sabtu
We have studied this segment of the PIE at Jalan Anak Bukit. The majority of accidents at this location are due to speeding. We also carried out skid resistance readings for this segment and they are within the normal range.
For added safety, we will broaden the lane markings, re-paint the parapet wall with directional arrows, and install new signs along the road segment. We will also bring forward our plan to re-surface the coating for this section of the PIE, including the road shoulder. Works should start next week. Meanwhile, we would like to remind motorists to exercise greater caution when driving in rainy conditions and avoid speeding.

Now are we supposed to believe "The majority of accidents at this location are due to speeding."

There is no speed camera. How LTA know they are speeding? Stupid taichi.

Qn is when was the last time it was resurfaced and what was the frequency of accidents before that resurfacing? For all we know, LTA's resurfacing caused the increase in the accident rate on that stretch because from what I remember, the previous asphalt surface was more grittier.

LTA, did you inadvertently caused all these by changing the surfacing and now want to quietly revert back to original?
may be they can rename this stretch of jalan anak bukit as jalan ponti-anak puki.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unless the workshop I went to was one that tuned vehicles for competition they wouldn't even know what "handling" meant in the first place.
you'd be surprised at the amount of practical knowledge those guys have. Yeah, you will hear a lot of nonsense terms and some plain wrong superstition, but some of those old-timers are surprisingly observant.

The "handling" of a car is not fixed parameter. The set up of any car be it Continental, Jap or Chink is designed for the conditions under which the car is most likely to be driven. The idea that a Beemer has inherently better handling than a Toyota simply isn't true.
wow. that's a lot of fudge. Handling is not a fixed parameter that's true. Hence you just invalidated your elk/moose test as some oddball situation and some good handling cars can fail it. But as a broad rule, European cars DO have better handling than Japanese or Asian cars. If you try to break handling down to empirical parameters, it becomes a total joke. Handling instead is best described as a performance envelope. It can be assessed according to how broad this envelope is to cover the most situations and the best overall performance.

These include :
  1. Outright grip is dynamic situations -- known to the general public as roadholding.
  2. Behaviour of the car when subject to large, destabilizing, transient inputs. This is supposed to be called handling, but nobody really understands that
  3. Outright stabiliity.
These three broadly cover the car's handling envelope. As you can tell #2 and #3 are potentially at odds. It is a sign of a great chassis engineer that all 3 can be achieved and a 4th goal. Ride comfort.

The Europeans and Americans are so far ahead of the Japanese on this score that it's not even funny. The Japanese only discovered how to incorporate dynamic toe control in their suspension in the 2000's. Some 40 years behind the angmohs. And now that they know it, their hamfisted application of it has made some of their performance cars from poor handlers into downright dangerous ones.

In general cars, Japanese cars tend to suffer from either terminal understeer or terminal oversteer in extremis. As a broad rule, they don't engineer their cars for this kind of situation. I call that and the rest of the stuff they don't incorporate bad.

Even on a kart with no suspension the correct set up could cut seconds of a lap time simply by adjusting the toe-in and the front and rear track.

In the wet track needs to be reduced significantly in order to gain traction. Too wide a track and you'd be sliding all over the place.
You toe-in on track?? Are you actively trying to be slower??

If you love French & Italian cars you have my condolences.
Yes I absolutely do. I do however personally own a Toyota. :roflmao:

oh. and BMW's don't handle well. They're middle of the road. Chevy's handle well.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
you'd be surprised at the amount of practical knowledge those guys have. Yeah, you will hear a lot of nonsense terms and some plain wrong superstition, but some of those old-timers are surprisingly observant.

wow. that's a lot of fudge. Handling is not a fixed parameter that's true. Hence you just invalidated your elk/moose test as some oddball situation and some good handling cars can fail it. But as a broad rule, European cars DO have better handling than Japanese or Asian cars. If you try to break handling down to empirical parameters, it becomes a total joke. Handling instead is best described as a performance envelope. It can be assessed according to how broad this envelope is to cover the most situations and the best overall performance.

These include :
  1. Outright grip is dynamic situations -- known to the general public as roadholding.
  2. Behaviour of the car when subject to large, destabilizing, transient inputs. This is supposed to be called handling, but nobody really understands that
  3. Outright stabiliity.
These three broadly cover the car's handling envelope. As you can tell #2 and #3 are potentially at odds. It is a sign of a great chassis engineer that all 3 can be achieved and a 4th goal. Ride comfort.

The Europeans and Americans are so far ahead of the Japanese on this score that it's not even funny. The Japanese only discovered how to incorporate dynamic toe control in their suspension in the 2000's. Some 40 years behind the angmohs. And now that they know it, their hamfisted application of it has made some of their performance cars from poor handlers into downright dangerous ones.

In general cars, Japanese cars tend to suffer from either terminal understeer or terminal oversteer in extremis. As a broad rule, they don't engineer their cars for this kind of situation. I call that and the rest of the stuff they don't incorporate bad.

You toe-in on track?? Are you actively trying to be slower??

Yes I absolutely do. I do however personally own a Toyota. :roflmao:

oh. and BMW's don't handle well. They're middle of the road. Chevy's handle well.

When it comes to "roadholding" the only parameter that cannot be tweaked easily is the inherent weight distribution based upon design. EG front, mid, or rear engined. Everything else is adjustable.

When I took my Toyota 86 to the track it was understeering. By the end of the day it was handling beautifully. All I had to do was to adjust the front camber and toe-in till I got what I wanted.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
When it comes to "roadholding" the only parameter that cannot be tweaked easily is the inherent weight distribution based upon design. EG front, mid, or rear engined. Everything else is adjustable.

When I took my Toyota 86 to the track it was understeering. By the end of the day it was handling beautifully. All I had to do was to adjust the front camber and toe-in till I got what I wanted.
you have an 86? :roflmao:

btw, the 86 is an anomaly in Japanese handling. There are a few others, but the difference between how well that chassis was engineered for it's era and some of the stuff that comes from the same company is night and day. Same with the other Japanese companies. They will come out with something incredible one model and next generation or facelift and that same magic ingredient becomes total garbage. I've been told they use consultants quite heavily.

When did you buy the 86?