• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is it a car tyre problem or is it a bad fengshui issue? These four cars lost control at the same spot.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
It's caused by aquaplaning. It's a gentle corner but there is insufficient camber and although cars are going within the speed limit those with low tread depths can easily lose control.

In the wet there is a huge difference between a brand new tyre and one with only 20% of tread depth remaining.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Tire Definitions
Tire Tread Depth: Why It Matters and How to Measure It
The tread on your tires is a crucial piece of driving safety and performance. All of those knobs, shapes, patterns and grooves have a combined purpose. They give the tire its ability to grip the road, accelerate, brake and corner — and even help maximize fuel economy. As the rubber on the tread wears away, so does the tire’s effectiveness. Keeping an eye on your tire’s tread depth is a vital part of routine vehicle maintenance.

What is Tread Depth?
Tread depth is a vertical measurement from the top of the tire’s rubber to the bottom of the tire’s deepest grooves.
As you drive on your tires, the rubber that makes up the tread — and the very thing that gives you traction — wears down. Over time, your tires will become less effective at gripping the road. Tires can lose their footing long before they're worn out, and, if a tread has worn down too far, they could become a serious safety issue.
The trick is to not let it get to that point.

Tread Depth by the Numbers
The tire industry standard for tread depth in the United States is measured in one thirty-second of an inch (1/32") increments (millimeters are used in countries observing metric standards).

New tires typically start with a tread depth of 10/32" to 12/32", with some off-road tires topping 15/32". New tire tread depth is the measurement typically published by tire manufacturers, but it’s not the same as usable tire tread depth. Most states and tire manufacturers consider tires to be bald when one or more of their grooves are worn down to 2/32". So, if you start with a new tire tread depth of 10/32", the actual usable tread depth is 8/32".

When tires wear down to 2/32", they’ve reached a point at which they’re unable to meet the challenges associated with driving on wet, slushy or snow-covered roads. They also become prone to heat damage in hot weather and are susceptible to flats, punctures or complete failure due to any or all of these hazards. In other words, when a tire’s tread depth is 2/32", it’s time to get new tires. Don’t wait.
For those who frequently drive in rain or snow, you may want to consider shopping for new tires for your car or truck when the tread depth is closer to 4/32".

How to Measure Tread Depth
Measuring tread depth regularly is a simple and effective way to help ensure that your tires can still grip and stick to the road, keeping you safe. There are a couple of easy ways to do this.

A tread depth gauge is the most accurate way.

Tire tread depth gauges can be found online or at your local auto parts store, and they are easy to use. The best way to measure your tread depth is to stick the probe into the shallowest groove on the tire, press the shoulders of the probe flat against the tread and then read the result.

All gauges should measure both in the 1/32" United States standard and in millimeters.

If your gauge measurement reads:
  • 6/32" or higher: Your tire’s tread depth is sufficient.
  • 5/32": If snow-covered roads are a concern, you should consider replacing your tires.
  • 4/32": If you frequently drive on wet roads, consider replacing your tires.
  • 3/32": It’s time to start shopping for new tires. They are close to being worn out.
  • 2/32" or lower: Your tires are legally bald, and it’s time to replace them.
If you don’t have a tread depth gauge handy, some U.S. coins can be used to approximate wear on tires in the critical last 32nds of an inch of their remaining tread depth. A penny or a quarter can work, depending on how conservative you want to be or if you frequently drive in rainy or snowy roads.

Here’s how it works:

Place a penny with Lincoln’s head upside down and facing you into the shallowest groove on the tire. If all of Lincoln's head is visible above the tread, you have only 2/32" or less tread depth left and your tire has reached the end of its useful life.
For those who drive in the rain or want an earlier warning that replacement time is coming, use a quarter. Place the quarter with Washington’s head upside down and facing you into the shallowest groove. If all of Washington's head is visible above the tread, you have 4/32" or less tread depth remaining.
If you’re into routine tread checks as much as we are and just want to see how well your tires are wearing, Lincoln can help here too. This time, place a penny with the Lincoln Memorial upside down and facing you. If the top of the Lincoln Memorial is visible above the tread, you have 6/32" or less tread depth remaining. It’s not time to panic, but it’s a good idea to continue to check your tread regularly.
6/32 Remaining Tread | Tire America

Indicator bars also allow you to monitor tread wear. U.S. Federal safety standards require that tire tread patterns include 2/32" tread wear indicators across their tread, in the grooves. Tires are considered worn out when the tire’s tread pattern has worn even with the indicator bars.
Please note that, for those driving on winter tires, tread depth measurements follow a different set of replacement thresholds. Consult the manufacturer for recommended tread depth measurements and replacement schedules.

Tread depth is important. Tires at or above the recommended tread depth give you better traction in all types of driving conditions. Plus, checking your tread depth on a regular basis provides a good opportunity to inspect your tires for other signs of adverse wear or damage as well, such as cracks, bulges or cuts in the tread or sidewalls. If you’re ever concerned about your tires for any reason, it’s always a good idea to have them inspected by a professional.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's caused by aquaplaning. It's a gentle corner but there is insufficient camber and although cars are going within the speed limit those with low tread depths can easily lose control.

In the wet there is a huge difference between a brand new tyre and one with only 20% of tread depth remaining.
I actually don't think those cases are aquaplaning. Rain wasn't that heavy and Singapore roads are relatively well-cambered and drained. Plus those speeds not appreciably higher than traffic around them...

I used to get weird looks running slicks in the wet... :roflmao:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I actually don't think those cases are aquaplaning. Rain wasn't that heavy and Singapore roads are relatively well-cambered and drained. Plus those speeds not appreciably higher than traffic around them...

I used to get weird looks running slicks in the wet... :roflmao:
Even if there is no aquaplaning the level of grip in the wet is reduced significantly. As a former kart racer I can vouch for the fact that driving in the wet vs the dry is like night and day. Everything has to be done gently and smoothly in the wet. All it takes is a small puddle to cause loss of control.

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
KNN my uncle think is the first incident was a sotong driver then now 7th month so the 2nd incident driver thought is unnatural so when he leeched there he scared and endup skid KNN then 3rd driver even more scared and skid again I.e chain scared leeaction KNN

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
KNN my uncle think is the first incident was a sotong driver then now 7th month so the 2nd incident driver thought is unnatural so when he leeched there he scared and endup skid KNN then 3rd driver even more scared and skid again I.e chain scared leeaction KNN
KNN to elaborate what is a chain scared leeaction KNN eg when we draw a narrow line broad enough for you to walk through on the ground you can easily walk through but the same width on high floor you will lose bear learn KNN

nirvarq

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
actually hor... continental cars not heavier. they feel that way because their suspension design far superior. Overall they really are better car engineers. So in that sense you are right, pays to drive continental cars.

Now before all you guys come in and tell me Jap cars better engineered because less problems etc... there's a reason for that and it's not better engineering.

Even stupid little continental cars more stable than Jap/Korean cars. There is a way to design suspension to compensate for wind thrust...

Only drivable japanese car is Lexus and yes many SG drivers are so poor the tyres almost botak still driving ....

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
actually hor... continental cars not heavier. they feel that way because their suspension design far superior. Overall they really are better car engineers. So in that sense you are right, pays to drive continental cars.

Now before all you guys come in and tell me Jap cars better engineered because less problems etc... there's a reason for that and it's not better engineering.

Even stupid little continental cars more stable than Jap/Korean cars. There is a way to design suspension to compensate for wind thrust...

That's a load of rubbish. There are loads of continental cars with terrible handling plus don't get me going on the absolute garbage that comes out of France and Italy.

The BMW M235i Gran Coupe is the Latest Victim of The Moose Test
Home » Models » 2 Series » The BMW M235i Gran Coupe is the Latest Victim of The Moose Test
def61c91f919c22de3eebce1cc7a26dc

Adrian Dorofte
August 7, 2020 / 2 minutes read
6 Comments
TEST DRIVE 2020 BMW M235i xDrive Gran Coupe F44 105

The moose test has made many victims over the course of history, with the most intensively debated being the first generation Mercedes A-Class in 1997, which failed the test in big fashion. Even though the M235i Gran Coupe did not have the same upside down fate, it still under-performed when put to this challenge.
Continue Reading Below
It comes quite as surprise that the BMW M235i Gran Coupe had such a poor performance in a dynamic evasion test that could have been a piece of cake for a Bimmer model with sufficient sports abilities.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's a load of rubbish. There are loads of continental cars with terrible handling plus don't get me going on the absolute garbage that comes out of France and Italy.

The BMW M235i Gran Coupe is the Latest Victim of The Moose Test
Home » Models » 2 Series » The BMW M235i Gran Coupe is the Latest Victim of The Moose Test
def61c91f919c22de3eebce1cc7a26dc

Adrian Dorofte
August 7, 2020 / 2 minutes read
6 Comments
TEST DRIVE 2020 BMW M235i xDrive Gran Coupe F44 105

The moose test has made many victims over the course of history, with the most intensively debated being the first generation Mercedes A-Class in 1997, which failed the test in big fashion. Even though the M235i Gran Coupe did not have the same upside down fate, it still under-performed when put to this challenge.
Continue Reading Below
It comes quite as surprise that the BMW M235i Gran Coupe had such a poor performance in a dynamic evasion test that could have been a piece of cake for a Bimmer model with sufficient sports abilities.

no it's not.

I propose that your choice of the moose test as a benchmark to evaluate handling in a vehicle to be rubbish instead. :biggrin:

Furthermore, go to any car-related workshop in Singapore and tell them that ang moh chia poor handling. I want to watch them all swearing at you. :roflmao:

I actually love French and Italian cars! Tell me. How many have you driven?

sam heng

Alfrescian
Loyal
All lousy Drivers, few years back I drive up everyday no problem. After the bottleneck at BKE Clementi exit, alot of impatient drivers like to chiong like a petulant child.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
no it's not.

I propose that your choice of the moose test as a benchmark to evaluate handling in a vehicle to be rubbish instead. :biggrin:

Furthermore, go to any car-related workshop in Singapore and tell them that ang moh chia poor handling. I want to watch them all swearing at you. :roflmao:

I actually love French and Italian cars! Tell me. How many have you driven?
Unless the workshop I went to was one that tuned vehicles for competition they wouldn't even know what "handling" meant in the first place.

The "handling" of a car is not fixed parameter. The set up of any car be it Continental, Jap or Chink is designed for the conditions under which the car is most likely to be driven. The idea that a Beemer has inherently better handling than a Toyota simply isn't true.

Even on a kart with no suspension the correct set up could cut seconds of a lap time simply by adjusting the toe-in and the front and rear track.

In the wet track needs to be reduced significantly in order to gain traction. Too wide a track and you'd be sliding all over the place.

If you love French & Italian cars you have my condolences.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i drove one of these in the late 80s for a road trip, and the handling was so horrible i had to turn around after only 6.9 miles to swap for a pontiac.
1598043318807.png