• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Iphone 4s coming in oct, will you buy one? [was "Iphone 5 coming in Sept"....}

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cranial Blowout said:
Anyone would think they invented touch screen technology and the first Tablet - NOT!

Their products, which were leading in performance before 1993 never caught up with Windows and other companies like Hewlet Packard after that date. All the hype about their 68000 processor was flushed down the toilet in 2005 when they were forced to use Intel so their machines could run Windows progs!

In the early 90s all I heard in Desk Top publishing was how Apple were so great, but when you put a PC beside a Mac and ran Quark Express (Mac) and Ventura or Pagemaker (PC), there was no difference in speed, but the PC software was better.

Now the hype is about iPhone when Sony X10 and Arc outperform it with Android. iPhone has only about 18% of the marked and dropping, soon iPhone will have to adopt Android, just like they had to concede to running Windows.

As I have said before, people that have bought Apple products are the same people that buy designer labels, they don't get value for money, just a name.

I think you are missing the point. It is not how much faster or how much larger that matters but the entire user experience.

Cranial Blowout

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Iphone 4s coming in oct, will you buy one?

I think you are missing the point. It is not how much faster or how much larger that matters but the entire user experience.

Said the Vicar to the nun.:biggrin:

It's a piece of technology not a designer handbag. I always compare the spec and get the best value. What is "the entire user experience" smells like bullshit to me.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cranial Blowout said:
Said the Vicar to the nun.:biggrin:

It's a piece of technology not a designer handbag. I always compare the spec and get the best value. What is "the entire user experience" smells like bullshit to me.

Take Toyota car. It is a piece of technology. Are they really excellent in one thing or another that make them sell? No. It is the entire package which strikes the best balance. So with smartphone. What is the use of a 4-inch screen if it is going to slow you down without a larger processor and also eats up your battery time? You really think putting a 4-inch on a phone is big deal technology wise. Anyone can do that. The art of the trade is finding the right balance between marketing hype (which is what a 4-inch screen really is), performance, battery life, look and correct size.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The entire user experience and marketing of apple are due to jobs genius. Apple did not invent the technology, but he put together the technologies into a user friendly package. This is not a easy thing to do, a lot of tech companies failed to do this well.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
singveld said:
The entire user experience and marketing of apple are due to jobs genius. Apple did not invent the technology, but he put together the technologies into a user friendly package. This is not a easy thing to do, a lot of tech companies failed to do this well.

Creative's main problem was also that.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

When I gave you moderator status, you were also entrusted with upholding the integrity of the content.

Changing the title of this thread from "Iphone 5 is coming in Sep..." to "IPhone 4s is coming in Oct..." covertly does not meet this prerequisite.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Leongsam said:
When I gave you moderator status, you were also entrusted with upholding the integrity of the content.

Changing the title of this thread from "Iphone 5 is coming in Sep..." to "IPhone 4s is coming in Oct..." covertly does not meet this prerequisite.

The latest heard is that iPhone 5 will come in Sep next year.

Cranial Blowout

Alfrescian
Loyal

Take Toyota car. It is a piece of technology. Are they really excellent in one thing or another that make them sell? No. It is the entire package which strikes the best balance. So with smartphone. What is the use of a 4-inch screen if it is going to slow you down without a larger processor and also eats up your battery time? You really think putting a 4-inch on a phone is big deal technology wise. Anyone can do that. The art of the trade is finding the right balance between marketing hype (which is what a 4-inch screen really is), performance, battery life, look and correct size.

Sony is compared to Porche of the electronics world. I would liken Apple to a Mercedes Smart car, expensive and gimmicky with no balls.
Change my last post to, “It's a designer handbag and not a piece of technology.” :biggrin: The choice is yours.

A Handbag feat. Edith Evans - Lady Bracknell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVAdY_CtSl0&feature=related

Last edited:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cranial Blowout said:
Sony is compared to Porche of the electronics world. I would liken Apple to a Mercedes Smart car, expensive and gimmicky with no balls.
Change my last post to, “It's a designer handbag and not a piece of technology.” :biggrin: The choice is yours.

A Handbag feat. Edith Evans - Lady Bracknell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVAdY_CtSl0&feature=related

I beg to differ. Sony, Samsung, Motorola etc are also handbag makers, in your analogy, only that they are made for different kinds of people. There some people who need a very long strap and someone produces one for them. Others prefer it to be larger while others want it to have several compartments so that they can carry different things at the same time. But the common people just want a simple handbag that is functional, looks nice and does not get too much in the way when you go up the train. That is why they look out eagerly for the next model of such a handbag because it has become a part of their life-style, even a part of themselves that they can not do without.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Really? I am surprise to hear that. I did not change the content of the discussion, only the title, not because i am ashamed of the error, just that i want to update the title based to current information. I posted best rumors of that time, in fact if steve is still in control, that new phone will be iphone 5, not the iphone 4s decided by the new CEO, who does not have it takes to fill steve shoes.

OK, if you decide that is a problem, do you want me to change it back? I will take note of such concern in future.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
singveld said:
Really? I am surprise to hear that. I did not change the content of the discussion, only the title, not because i am ashamed of the error, just that i want to update the title based to current information. I posted best rumors of that time, in fact if steve is still in control, that new phone will be iphone 5, not the iphone 4s decided by the new CEO, who does not have it takes to fill steve shoes.

OK, if you decide that is a problem, do you want me to change it back? I will take note of such concern in future.

Iphone 5 in Sep should still be correct except that this thread will have to last for another 9 months to a year.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

If you're going to edit anything as a mod, leave an edit trail to show the changes made.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Iphone 5 in Sep should still be correct except that this thread will have to last for another 9 months to a year.

yeah thanks to new CEO, instead of moving ahead of competition, and throw them in chaos, they decide to give us gimmick like siri and standstill.

they dun even have the decency of changing the color a bit, so that people can see the difference from a distance, now it look exactly like iphone 4
that means that people who bought iphone 4 time it right, after their stupid 2 year contract is over, they can get the real stuff, iphone 5.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
singveld said:
yeah thanks to new CEO, instead of moving ahead of competition, and throw them in chaos, they decide to give us gimmick like siri and standstill.

they dun even have the decency of changing the color a bit, so that people can see the difference from a distance, now it look exactly like iphone 4
that means that people who bought iphone 4 time it right, after their stupid 2 year contract is over, they can get the real stuff, iphone 5.

At least now I know I can get the 4S and get the 5 with 4G/LTE one year later. Otherwise I have to wait some time later for a 5S to come out that has 4F/LTE.

Cranial Blowout

Alfrescian
Loyal
I beg to differ. Sony, Samsung, Motorola etc are also handbag makers, in your analogy, only that they are made for different kinds of people. There some people who need a very long strap and someone produces one for them. Others prefer it to be larger while others want it to have several compartments so that they can carry different things at the same time. But the common people just want a simple handbag that is functional, looks nice and does not get too much in the way when you go up the train. That is why they look out eagerly for the next model of such a handbag because it has become a part of their life-style, even a part of themselves that they can not do without.

As a common person, I personally would go for the fully functional, best quality and value handbag with pockets and a long strap that can be shortened. No encrusted diamante or a desgner name for me.:wink:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cranial Blowout said:
As a common person, I personally would go for the fully functional, best quality and value handbag with pockets and a long strap that can be shortened. No encrusted diamante or a desgner name for me.:wink:

There is designer name here. But there are some products with a stronger brand.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fook Seng said:
There is designer name here. But there are some products with a stronger brand.

Correction: meant to say "no designer name". Thought moves faster than fingers.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Apple thoroughly disappointed all iPhone 5 hopefuls. Despite the general conviction based on solid rumors that there would be an iPhone 5, there is just an iPhone 4S.

It arrived with good reasons why you can confidently keep your old iPhone until the next iPhone arrives (which we hear will be in late 2012 or early 2013).

Trust me, I am not confused, even if I did post an article with reasons why you should upgrade to the iPhone 4S (because of Sprint, the camera and Siri). The fact that the new iPhone 4S is only an incremental update is quite surprising. One would have thought that CEO Tim Cook would launch an exceptional device and not some leftover legacy innovation from Steve Jobs. Analysts are already all over Apple and, like Rob Enderle, consider the iPhone 4S a "miss." At this point, I am not sure if I agree and would not go so far as to call it a miss, considering that Apple's rivals are still catching up. However, the feature lineup in the iPhone 4S certainly makes you think. If you are on a budget, there may not be an immediate need to update, even if you live and breathe Apple.

Here is some food for thought.

1. It looks like the iPhone 4 and feels like the iPhone 4.
It's an incremental update. Period. It's a refresh like a restoration for an old car – a new engine, a few new options, LED lights and sporty wings on the back. It's not a new model. Would you get rid of your car a year or two into its financing (which would result in a huge monetary loss) for the privilege of getting those new features? Of course, it depends on the situation, but spending the extra cash to get out of a 2-year plan and paying a premium price on a non-discount iPhone 4S may be difficult to do if the new device you buy looks exactly like your old one. A better idea may be to wait another year so that you don't have to pay a penalty, and then you will receive the full discount from your carrier. Remember, when the iPhone 5 comes around, you'll have to play the same brain game again. At that time, you may have much better reasons to break your contract, if you must.

2. It supports 14.4 Mbps? Whatever you say.
HSDPA is a big deal. It brings the iPhone 4S up to speed with its Android rivals. However, the validity of that claim depends upon where you live and where you use your phone. I have an HSPA+ Android phone and enjoy the massive 4G-like bandwidth provided by T-Mobile, but it is a very temperamental and inconsistent connection which quickly deteriorates when I leave my home. I can claim with confidence that 4G speeds are not quite a reality in the Chicago area because either the network isn't deployed yet or because it is overcrowded. What we typically get today is 3G, and that is what we expect. AT&T's 3G coverage is worse than other carriers’ from my experience, so until there is an LTE iPhone, it's really no contest. Once the network catches up with the marketing claims of carriers, bandwidth will become much more important. The fact that the iPhone 4S supports 14.4 Mbps downloads is largely irrelevant today (depending upon where you use the phone); give it another year or two.

3. No exceptional features
Is it just me or are there no exceptional features in the iPhone 4S? There is a dual-core processor, the 8-megapixel camera with 1080p video, and a beta version of Siri voice recognition. Siri is rather impressive, but it's not finalyet, and you will have to be a beta tester to help mature the software behind it. Getting rid of your contractual obligation for your iPhone 4 for these new features sounds like a bad idea to me, unless you have an extra $500 sitting around to spend on whatever you want. There was ample opportunity for Apple to innovate and move beyond a few hardware upgrades. Mac OS X integration would have been a big one; the completion of Siri and much improved voice recognition overall another. The iPhone 4S may have been disappointing because it was not an iPhone 5, but the true letdown is that Apple packaged a few nice-to-have features in an out-of-proportion presentation. Let's be honest. None of the announced features are in a must-have category; you can easily survive without them.

Which iPhone is the best deal today?
Conceivably, you may have no idea which iPhone to get if you have been looking for a new phone and want to get one within the next two or three weeks. Starting October 16, there will be the free iPhone 3GS, the $99 iPhone 4 and the $199 to $399 iPhone 4S (16 GB to 64 GB storage capacity). However, the price difference is negligible if you consider the fact that you will pay nearly $100 every month for your phone (most likely more if you consider all those extra fees and taxes) and about $2,500 over the course of the next two years. So, if you wonder which phone to get on October 16, it's an easy decision to purchase the iPhone 4S. For a $100 premium over the iPhone 4, you get the better camera, HSDPA, a dual-core processor and Siri. If you must sign a 2-year contract, do so with the iPhone 4S and not with the regular iPhone 4 or the iPhone 3GS. Even better, keep your current phone and wait for the iPhone 5.

U.S. Carrier choices
Much more significant than the purchase of the hardware is the choice of the carrier. Now you can choose between AT&T, Verizon and Sprint, and I recommend researching which carrier will best fit your needs. Sprint is likely to offer a flat-fee, an unlimited bandwidth package for $100 per month, and will be much more interesting to those who use the iPhone 4S as a data phone. Both AT&T and Verizon are cheaper only if you restrict yourself to 2 GB of data usage per month. The fact that this new iPhone 4S is a CDMA and GSM phone also makes the choice of the carrier much cheaper if you must travel outside the United States and use foreign carriers.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
apple can sell anything, right now they can do no wrong.

Apple Announces Over One Million iPhone 4S Pre-Orders in First 24 Hours

Apple has announced that they have received over one million iPhone 4S pre-orders on the first 24 hours.
“We are blown away with the incredible customer response to iPhone 4S,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. “The first day pre-orders for iPhone 4S have been the most for any new product that Apple has ever launched and we are thrilled that customers love iPhone 4S as much as we do.”
That number tops the previous record for Apple held by the iPhone 4 which sold 600,000 units in pre-order on the first day. AT&T previously announced that they alone were responsible for 200,000 iPhone 4S pre-orders.

The iPhone 4S launches officially on October 14th when it will become available in retail stores. Pre-orders should arrive to customers at about the same time.