• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Iphone 4s coming in oct, will you buy one? [was "Iphone 5 coming in Sept"....}

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: even mightly steve jobs cannot get the apple employee to wear uniform

Since you have been making so many posts about iPhone 4S and Steve Jobs, which does not interest me much, perhaps you have inside info why despite Apple having a factory in Singapore, Steve Jobs had never step into Singapore? Was there any particular reason or was it just because he finds Singapore too boring?:biggrin:

i have no idea why steve jobs do not like singapore. but he is easily offended.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Steve jobs is amazing

Before iphone 3G, japan have the most advance phone in the world, the market dominated by the japanese companies, til iphone come along.

While a few committed individuals have been camping out for the iPhone 4S for some time now, others are now beginning to filter toward their local Apple retail stores in their attempts to secure one of the new models first thing tomorrow morning.
But lines are already long in Japan, another early launch market for the device, with Guillaume Erard reporting that there were over 100 people in line at Apple's Shibuya retail store in Tokyo a full 11 hours before launch time.

[video=youtube;O-0ZC3mt3xg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=O-0ZC3mt3xg[/video]

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Steve jobs is amazing

iphone_4s_line_regent_street.jpg

iPhone 4S line at London's Regent Street retail store

Some of Apple's flagship stores in London are also beginning to see substantial lines forming, as evidenced by photos from Regent Street and Covent Garden stores.

iphone_4s_line_covent_garden.jpg

iPhone 4S line at London's Covent Garden retail store (Thanks, Mike!)

Things still appear to be relatively quiet in the United States and Canada nearly 17 hours before the first launches, as we've been receiving scattered reports of lines beginning to form but with only a handful of people encamped at most of the stores from which we've received reports.

MacRumors forum members looking to organize meetups for the iPhone 4S launch are getting together in our dedicated forum.

iphone_4s_line_opera.jpg

Update: MacRecord noted earlier today that there were over 100 people (and now up to 150) in line at the Opéra retail store in Paris.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
iphone_4s_teardown.jpg

iFixit has already begun a high-quality teardown of the iPhone 4S, and while a considerable number of the internal parts have already been seen in leaked parts prior to the device's launch, a more thorough look at the individual components should provide some interesting details on the device.

The teardown is still just getting underway, with iFixit's technicians having opened up the device, examined the battery and pulled out the logic board, but we'll update this post with additional information as the teardown progresses.

Items of interest:

- The baseband chip is a previously-undisclosed Qualcomm MDM6610, an apparent variation of the MDM6600 used in the CDMA iPhone 4 and other devices. It is unclear at this time what differentiates the MDM6610 from the MDM6600.

- As noted by AnandTech, the part number found on the A5 chip in iFixit's teardown confirms earlier claims that the iPhone 4S carries 512 MB of RAM.

- iFixit confirms that the iPhone 4S uses the linear oscillating vibrator motor as found in the CDMA iPhone 4 rather than the rotational motor found in the GSM iPhone 4. As seen in earlier parts images, the entire internal layout of the iPhone 4S is much more like the CDMA iPhone 4 than the GSM iPhone 4, although Apple obviously had to tweak the chip layout somewhat to squeeze the micro-SIM slot onto the logic board. One exception is the display assembly mounting tabs, which follow the GSM iPhone 4's layout rather than the CDMA version's.

- Chipworks is following along with iFixit's teardown and providing a closer look at the chips discovered inside the iPhone 4S. Many of the chips had already been found in other devices, and Chipworks publishing die photos and other details on them as the information is gathered.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We've said before that Apple's Siri is the first step towards the sort of computer interaction that we've seen in science fiction, such as Star Trek.

The iPhone 4S and Siri could be the first glimpse of such magic, when you can just speak naturally to the computer and it will answer you with relevant information.

Besides just not being able to marry its user, Siri has funny – sometimes witty – responses to the strangest questions. This Is My Next has gone through a few of them with amusing results. Here are some of our favorites:
siri_weird_verge24.jpg

siri_weird_verge19.jpg

siri_weird_verge8.jpg

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
8Z20111014GZ0JPG00008200400.jpg

iphone 4 ass in Japan on release day

Look at the queue
9G20111014TTT0700050G300000.jpg

Look first tier countries got their 4 ass, while we wait
6G20111014DDD1900015G300000.jpg

Last edited:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
iPhone 4S Launch to Double AT&T's Record for Activations in One Day
Friday October 14, 2011 2:59 pm PDT by Jordan Golson
Following Sprint's announcement of record sales, AT&T also announced a very busy sales day. AT&T didn't break out sales totals for the iPhone, but reports it is seeing record activations.

As of 4:30 pm ET today, AT&T had already activated a record number of iPhones on our network – and is on-track to double our previous record for activations on a single day. These record volumes may produce slower activations for some customers, though our systems continue to run at record levels.
AT&T was Apple's launch partner in 2007, and the exclusive partner until Apple launched the Verizon iPhone earlier this year.

AT&T hit this record despite their activation servers having difficulties handling the unprecedented demand. iPhone 4S owners reportedly had difficulties with activations on multiple carriers, and not just AT&T.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
iPhone 4S Launch Breaks Sprint's One Day Sales Record
Friday October 14, 2011 2:32 pm PDT by Jordan Golson
The iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S broke the "device family" one-day sales record today, according to the company. The milestone was breached by 1pm Eastern.

Sprint didn't break out sales totals for the iPhone, but Sprint's product chief said today was the company's "best ever day of sales in retail, web and telesales for a device family in Sprint history." Sprint attributes the strong sales to their "truly unlimited" data plan.

Sprint is the only U.S. carrier to offer unlimited data to new customers. Earlier today Moody's downgraded Sprint's credit rating "citing impacts on the wireless carrier's liquidity and leverage from its decision to invest in its own fourth-generation network assets and the expected phase-out of its failed partnership with Clearwire Corp." according to the WSJ.

This is first time that Sprint has carried the iPhone line. The iPhone was originally an AT&T exclusive in the U.S. and only expanded to Verizon earlier in 2010. Sprint is now one of three mobile carriers to offer the iPhone in the U.S.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Apple iPhone 4S 'drains battery' too quickly complaints

Tim Cook promised improved battery life when he launched the iPhone 4S

The battery life of Apple's new iPhone 4S is under scrutiny after thousands of users reported problems.

In some cases, people claimed that their phone battery was draining by up to 15% every hour, even when the device was not being used.

Users who have installed Apple's new operating system - iOS 5 - on older models have also reported problems.

Apple told the BBC it had no comment on the issue.

The problems have generated a huge amount of discussion on Apple's forums.

Scarface from New Jersey summed up the view of many: My iPhone 4s battery seems terrible!"

CripinUK went into more detail: "I have an iPhone 4 and since putting iOS 5 on it the battery life has been really bad it drops at a ridiculous rate even when I'm not using it where as it would barely drop any charge when it was in standby."

"I've tried turning lots of thing off but it makes no difference. I've been looking around and a lot of people seem to be reporting this," he said.

The iPhone 4S has a built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery. It is supposed to provide up to eight hours of 3G talk time (14 hours of 2G) with standby time of up to 200 hours.

Some blamed Apple's iCloud service while others claim that deactivating Notifications - one of the key features of the 4S - helped restore battery life.

Blogger Oliver Haslam wrote that he solved the problem by turning off the time zone setting function.

He said that, in some cases, the operating system was constantly tracking location in order to adjust the time zone.

"Switching it off may mean that your iPhone will no longer set its own time zone when you travel, but that's a small price to pay for having your iPhone last more than 12 hours on a full charge," he said.

When the iPhone 4S was launched in October, Apple's chief executive Tim Cook promised significantly improved battery life.

Last edited:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
singveld said:

The battery life of Apple's new iPhone 4S is under scrutiny after thousands of users reported problems.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
singveld said:

In some cases, people claimed that their phone battery was draining by up to 15% every hour, even when the device was not being used.

When the iPhone 4S was launched in October, Apple's chief executive Tim Cook promised significantly improved battery life.
Understand that Apple is planning a software update. There is a Beta IOS 5.0.1 Don't know whether the solution is inside there.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
iPhone 4S Users Complaining of Audio Issues: No Audio on Outgoing Calls, Echoes, Static
this week, BGR noted a growing number of complaints in Apple's support forums regarding problems with echoes on the iPhone 4S when used with a headset, with calls typically degrading over the duration of the conversation. One thread on the issue has reached 14 pages of posts with a number of users reporting the same issue on a variety of different phone models and carriers.
When using the Apple hands free headset with the phone during a call, I get an echo problem. It does not occur immediately. It can very from 30 seconds into a call and as far up to 9 mins in before it begins the annoying echo. If I unplug the headset it goes away but will return when I plug the headset back in. I have tried 3 brand new iphone 4s headsets with the same problems. So far I have tried rebooting, and also restored phone back to factory original settings as a new phone and still no resolution. I have been told by the other person on the line a screech sound is made then the echo begins.

Users seem to be having some success in fixing the issue by briefly toggling the speakerphone option on and off when the echo begins.

A potentially related issue of static on iPhone 4S calls is also being documented in its own lengthy thread, with the issue affecting both incoming and outgoing calls and some users reporting the issue occurring on multiple handsets as they've exchanged devices at Apple retail stores in attempts to address the problem.

Finally, a third issue being tracked in a nearly 300-post thread involves users experiencing no audio on a subset of outgoing phone calls.
Picked up a Verizon iPhone 4S - 32GB and on about 1 in 10 calls I get no outbound audio when dialing. Call shows the timer counting as if the call is progressing but absolutely no ring back and cannot hear the party on the other end when they answer.

As with the echo issue, some users have reported that toggling the speakerphone option may fix the lack of audio on a given call, but others claim that the tactic does not always work. For its part, Apple support staff have been unable or unwilling to specifically diagnose the issue as either a hardware or software problem. At least one user has reported that the first developer beta of iOS 5.0.1 released yesterday does not fix the issue.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Understand that Apple is planning a software update. There is a Beta IOS 5.0.1 Don't know whether the solution is inside there.

try to wait a little bit longer before you buy 4 ass, because of some production issue for the start of new product.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
singveld said:
try to wait a little bit longer before you buy 4 ass, because of some production issue for the start of new product.

What is the feedback from users in Singapore? Except for the battery problem, the rest could be more to do with the service provider.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What is the feedback from users in Singapore? Except for the battery problem, the rest could be more to do with the service provider.

you want to get one in singapore? bad luck for you. singapore is the most difficult place to get 4 ass, in rest of the world, you wait 1-2 weeks, in singapore, out of stock.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
singveld said:
you want to get one in singapore? bad luck for you. singapore is the most difficult place to get 4 ass, in rest of the world, you wait 1-2 weeks, in singapore, out of stock.

Don't worry for me. My contract expires only in Dec. I can wait.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
singveld said:
By then all production bugs should be sorted, and you can buy one without waiting, end of next year, a completely new iphone 5 will be out.

Problem is I have a subsidy on handphone every 12 months.