• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

In step

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

Acts 27

Today’s reading recounts Paul’s journey to Rome. Because the fall was upon them, it was “already after the Fast” (9; in AD 59, the fast was Oct 5. Sailing in the Mediterranean was considered dangerous after Sept. 14. The wisest course would have been to wait until the Spring to venture onwards.

Despite the fact that Paul warned them of danger if they were to sail on (10), they did so anyway. The result is that they encountered a hurricane (14). After two weeks they managed to arrive on the Isle of Malta (28:1).

Note: the extensive details of Paul’s voyage to Rome is likely the result of Luke’s presence.

Questions to ponder/discuss:

• Note that Paul’s speech before Agrippa and his upcoming appearance before Nero fulfills what Ananias was told about Paul: he would bear witness before “kings” (9:15). Doing so as a prisoner is probably not what Paul envisioned.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

Acts 28

Paul eventually arrived in Rome (AD 60-62). There he was allowed to have his own rented apartment (16, 30), which enabled him to have all the visitors he would like. Paul remained in Roman custody for 2 more years (30). This is perhaps the setting of four of Paul’s letters: Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, and Philemon.

There is some debate as to whether or not Paul was freed from this imprisonment. It is generally thought that Paul was released from this imprisonment (whether he met Nero or a delegate of Nero is not certain) and that Paul then ventured on to Spain and perhaps back to some of the churches he established previously. If this is so, then he ministered for 2 more years (AD 62-64) before being arrested in 64 (it is believed that Peter and Paul were arrested in 64 by orders of Nero for the burning of Rome). Paul either died in AD 62 or 65.

Questions to ponder/discuss:

• What do you do when life doesn’t go as planned? Paul may be the single most important person in the history of Christianity (aside from Jesus of course: and Peter for those who are Catholic), yet he spent a significant portion of his ministry years in prison. Surely, he must have thought that he would be more valuable to the kingdom if he were free to travel to Spain and who knows where else.
  • I can only speak for myself, but I am quite certain that I would have been beyond frustrated—though if they had Wifi in his rented house in Rome maybe I could have got some work done! Perhaps, Paul’s time in prison enabled him to train others to go out and do the work of the kingdom. Regardless, there is much to learn from Paul and the fact that he spent so much time in prison.
  • This raises the question that we should all ask: why does God have me here (or allow me to be where I presently am)? and how does He want to use me in the present? Should we be appealing to Rome in order to get out of our present circumstances? Whatever the answers may be, do it well!

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
With Whom Do You Gather?

[ 1 min read ★ ]

For where two or three are gathered . . .
there am I among them—Matthew 18:20

We men often find it hard to gather with other men in Christian community. Calendars are full: "I just don’t have time for one more thing." Pride is high: "I’m good . . . I’m doing fine on my own." Aversion to vulnerability is strong: "Oh, man . . . I’m just not that good at opening up." If we are followers of our King, Jesus Christ, though, we must gather—"not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some" (Hebrews 10:25).

But . . . why? Why is community so important for men? Well, a couple reasons. "Two are better than one," Scripture tells us—we are stronger, less vulnerable, together (Ecclesiastes 4:9).

"For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up" (Ecclesiastes 4:10).
Even more important, though, Jesus tells us that he is uniquely present when we gather in his name (Matthew 18:20). You see, God the Holy Spirit dwells within each follower of Jesus. (John 14:17) Therefore, when we gather, the power of the Spirit flows from one to another and back. When we gather, the work of God is done: confessions are made; sins are repented; love and compassion are expressed; hearts are healed; encouragement is given; lives are transformed. Men are lifted up, up out of sin and rebellion, into life and identity and calling. Work is done that just cannot be done in isolation.

Okay, so what do we do?

Grab some other guys . . . one guy, even. Start meeting on a regular basis, weekly is best. Fight for community, brother—against calendars, against pride, against fear. King David sang: "Behold, how good and pleasant it is when brothers dwell in unity!" (Psalm 133:1-3). This is so very important.