• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

In step

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

10 Things Your Husband Wishes You Knew About Him​

“Lisa” said she wishes she knew what she knows now when she got married.

She thinks it might’ve saved her marriage.

She thought her husband was uncaring, disconnected and didn’t care about her.
What if “Lisa” had known what she was experiencing in her marriage was normal?
If she had known what to expect, she might not have been so quick to file for a divorce. She admits she thought they weren’t compatible because they thought differently.

And she didn’t understand what he wanted.
What does a man want from his wife?
When you have no idea of what a man expects from you or what goes on inside other people’s marriages, it’s hard to determine if what you’re experiencing in your own marriage is “normal.”
When you see your friends’ smiling faces on Facebook, it’s easy to feel like your marriage and husband don’t measure up.

Women initiate about 70 percent of all divorces, and many of them say they’re no happier five years after their divorce.
But a lot of women, like “Lisa,” believe something is wrong with their marriage or husband.
With the exception of substance or physical abuse, you may view your marriage as more “normal” when you know what to expect.
Shaunti Feldhahn, a nationally well-known author and speaker, wrote For Women Only: What You Need to Know About the Inner Lives of Men.
In it, she recounts surprising truths she learned about men after interviewing more than 1,000 of them.
Understanding these truths will equip you to better understand your husband. You may begin to feel like your marriage is more normal than you think.

Your marriage may be more “normal” than you think​

According to Feldhahn, here are 10 things your husband wishes you knew about him

He wishes you knew*:
1. Your husband would rather feel unloved than inadequate and disrespected.
Your husband needs to know you respect him. He ‘ll thrive when he knows that you trust, admire and believe in him. So much so that he’d rather sense the loss of loving feelings from you than to be disrespected by you.
2. Your husband’s anger is often a response to feeling disrespected by his wife.
When your husband gets angry, he’s probably not going to say, “You’re disrespecting me!” But, there’s a high possibility he’s feeling stung by something you’ve said or done, which he considers disrespectful or humiliating.
3. Your husband is insecure.
Your husband is afraid he’s not cutting it in life– work and at home. He might not be able to articulate it, but inside he feels vulnerable. When he regularly receives your affirmation, he feels secure and confident in all areas of his life.
4. Your husband feels the burden of being the provider for your family.

Your husband bears the emotional burden of providing for his family, whether he’s the main breadwinner or not. He’s wired that way. He may feel trapped. You can’t release him from this burden, but you can ease it by letting him know you appreciate him. He needs your support and encouragement.
5. Your husband wants more sex.
No surprise. But, he doesn’t want more sex for the reasons you might think. Wives assume men want more sex because they’re single focused, sex crazed beings. But Feldhahn’s research shows your husband wants more sex because he has a strong need to be desired by you. Men want to be wanted. Sex is critical to your husband’s sense of feeling loved and desired.
6. Sex means more than just sex to your husband.
When your husband feels desired by you sexually, it has an effect on the rest of his life. He feels more confident and has a better sense of well-being. When he feels rejected sexually, he feels like you’re rejecting him as a husband, provider and man. That may sound unreasonable, but it’s true.

7. Your husband struggles with visual temptation.
Is it okay for your husband to go around checking out other women? No. But he’s visually stimulated. Even the most godly men can’t help but notice a woman who dresses to draw attention to her body. Even if it is just a glance, those visual images are stored away in your husband’s brain as a sort of “visual rolodex” and will reappear without any warning. He can’t control when these images will appear, but he can choose whether or not he’ll dwell on them or dismiss them.
8. Your husband enjoys romance but doubts his ability to be romantic.
Your husband wants to be romantic. He doubts his ability to pull it off. You can help increase his confidence in this area by redefining what romance looks like. Accept his invitations, even if it’s only going to Home Depot. He sees this as a chance to spend time together.
9. Your husband wants you to look good for him.
He doesn’t want you to be a supermodel, but he wants to know you’re making an effort to take care of yourself. He appreciates it when you make an effort to look nice for him.

10. Your husband wants you to know how much he loves you.
Your husband isn’t confident in his ability to express this, but he loves you a lot. He wants to show you how much he loves you and wants you to understand this.
When you understand your husband, you learn to appreciate him for who he is instead of thinking he should be more like you.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

The Cost of Disobedience: Forfeiting Our Heavenly Reward​

Unbeknownst to them, my wife wanted to surprise our kids with small toys the other day—just because. There was no special occasion, nor was it a reward for good behavior. Rather, it was just a simple kindness for children who already have enough. Mom just wanted to give them a gift because she’s a good mom, and she loves them. Yet my children will never see what could have been because of disobedience that day.

Granted, this is a rather insignificant thing in the grand scheme of things. It is simply a toy—but there have been plenty of times where something of greater delight was stripped away as a result of their disobedience. My wife is one who gives gifts freely, which is one of her most admirable qualities to her—one I look to her as an example in simply because my natural bent is not that. For the simple reason that she delights to give, it is particularly saddening to her when we’ve had to cancel plans or withhold a gift, whether large or small.

It does make me wonder what gifts we miss out on simply because of our own petulant attitudes. One has to stop and think, “What good things have I missed out on that my Father wished to give me, freely and joyfully out of His love, which I did not receive because of my own stubbornness and rebellion?” Furthermore, knowing we have a heavenly reward that awaits us, we must ask what we stand to lose in this, if anything at all.

As adults, we often think of ourselves more highly than children, yet children are a continual reminder to me that I am often childish myself before my heavenly Father. While I have learned to exhibit self-control and maintain my outward appearance before man, the Lord knows my heart better than I do. He knows when I am disappointed, malcontent, and in essence, throwing a tantrum of the heart. He knows when I have questioned His goodness in the small and mundane, and like a petulant child, dug in my heels when I have contrived a “better way” than He.

In all of this though, it leads me to see the incredible patience the Lord has, and likewise how often I can be impatient with my own children. Do not misunderstand me so as to say that this is cause to stop from disciplining a child. Folly is bound within the heart of a child, yet the rod of discipline will drive it from them (Pro. 22:15). He who withholds the rod hates his son, but the one who disciplines him diligently loves him (Pro. 13:24). In both instances, the “rod” truly means “rod,” yet to “discipline diligently” involves more than simply a punitive aspect; it involves instruction, more clearly an instruction on the shameful behavior of the child so as to lead them to righteous behavior. It is therefore a “both/and” proposition rather than an “either/or” one, when it comes to disciplining children. Parents are to discipline corporally, yet never without proper instruction of the righteous behavior they are to be exhibiting. In much the same way, the Lord disciplines the one He loves, as a father the son in whom he delights (Pro. 3:12).

In Hebrews 12:6 we find the same principle carry through; the Lord disciplines those whom He loves and scourges His own children. The two terms here are synonymous with the examples above from the book of proverbs, in that the usage of παιδεύω (discipline) and μαστιγόω (scourge) carries both the corporal and instructional component. Again, παιδεύω carries with it the idea that instruction is rooted intrinsically in how to live in a proper manner before God and man. The usage of μαστιγόω here is a bit more violent than most Evangelicals would like, but it literally means to “beat, whip, or flog” physically.

In essence then, what the author of Hebrews is telling us is that God will punish our disobedience in rather harsh ways. He will “use the rod” just as the loving father in the book of Proverbs instructs. Like before, it is a “both/and” proposition rather than an “either/or” one. Both components are present and designed to work with an explicitly good purpose in mind, which is that those trained by discipline will experience the harvest of righteousness and peace yielded by and through it at a later time (12:10-11).

It may be peculiar in our day and age to some simply because of the push against proper discipline in the home—but this prospect of both corporal and instructional discipline is seen as a loving thing in the eye of God. The author of Hebrews relates the punishment of God to the punishment of our own fathers simply because this type of punishment is an assumed thing (12:7-10).

It is, therefore, the lack of punishment that is seen as an altogether foreign, and unloving thing. The one who does not receive the punishment of their father, earthly or heavenly, is an illegitimate child. They are the one who isn’t loved. They are not “true children” in any meaningful sense. This should give you a small indication of just how backwards people have it today. Nonetheless, it is the one who does not get punished that has every cause to worry if they are a legitimate child of God, and this is made all the clearer as we contemplate the significance of the outcome produced through discipline (12:10-11).

The one who is not loved by God and does not experience the rod of His discipline is not one in whom righteousness and peace will be produced. The trade-off, of course, is that no one enjoys discipline; it is immensely painful by design (12:11a).

For some, their choices have immediately disastrous consequences which bring down terrible punishments upon them. Some Christians have committed egregious acts and found themselves forfeiting their lives, losing their marriage, being maimed for the rest of their life, losing their livelihood, among other things. Some pay for their decisions with long-lasting consequences that simply never go away. In all of this, the Lord’s love is still upon them if they are in Christ. While they may bear similar earthly consequences as the one who does not love God, their ends are to two different aims.

For the one God hates, such punishment is a great mercy designed to lead them to repentance, as it is an infinitely small foretaste of the eternal torment that awaits them if they do not repent. For the one God loves, such punishment is restorative and instructional, even though they still stand to lose much. Is it not better to lose the whole world rather than one’s own soul?

To turn our attention back to the original proposition of this piece though: what heavenly reward do we miss out on in our disobedience? I don’t fully know. We don’t know the secret will of the Lord, so it naturally follows that we will not know what God would have done had we obeyed, rather than turned aside and gone our own way. I don’t believe that knowledge is ever ours to know, for the secret things belong to the Lord—but I do know we suffer loss in some capacity in the here and now, and in eternity. For one, we stand to lose out on the blessing of obedience to God. We miss out on the privilege to do what is right for our Beloved; we miss out on the opportunity to honor the Christ who shed His blood for us; we miss out on the joy that is bound up in the simple pleasures of what the Lord has declared is good. God has given us an entire world of freedom to be had and godly pleasures to be enjoyed—yet so often, we imbibe the sentiments of the ever-quotable C.S. Lewis:

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making m&d pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

We tend to believe, even though many of us claim to know better, that the short-term gains of our sinful choices are better than the rewards of obedience. The tug of our hearts is pulled toward the pleasures of sin because we don’t take God at His Word when He says something of sin is of infinitely lesser value than pleasing Him. As Jerry Bridges notes, “The lure of momentary pleasure is stronger than our desire to please God.” Another way to put it is that we believe the immediate gratification found in sinful “rewards” is better than the immediate gratification of pleasing our Lord. If this weren’t true, we wouldn’t choose sin over obedience. We wouldn’t choose earthly bobbles and trinkets in favor of our heavenly reward.

Perhaps the more sobering thought is that as a result of our disobedience, we will suffer loss of our potential, eternal reward (1 Cor. 3:15; 2 Jn. 1:8). We know there are treasures in heaven (Matt. 6:19-21), there are degrees of authority in heaven (Matt. 25:21-23; Lk. 19:17-26), and there seems to be an indication of various types of crowns one receives as part of our heavenly reward as well (see Ja. 1:12; 1 Cor. 9:24-25; 1 Thess. 2:19). We likewise know that God rewards us for our good works (Eph. 6:8; Matt. 19:21), endurance (Heb. 10:34-36; Matt. 5:12; Lk. 6:22-23), living righteously before God (Mt. 6:1), our faithfulness in laboring for the gospel (1 Cor. 3:8-14), and more.

In the same manner we stand to lose part of our heavenly reward as a result of our actions in this life. We know that God will bring everything hidden to light (1 Cor. 4:5), judge every idle word (Matt. 12:36), and while we do not know precisely what these heavenly rewards will look like, we do know some Christians will shrink back in shame at Christ’s arrival (1 Jn. 2:28). Undoubtedly, no one who is in Christ will lose their eternal reward, which is given freely (Jn. 10:28-29; Eph. 2:8-9). However, there is the prospect to lose what we stand to gain in heaven, which is imperishable and cannot be stolen or destroyed. What that demonstrates to us is that the freedom from the condemnation we deserve is not the determining factor of these heavenly rewards. To put it another way: we are totally and fully forgiven, yet that does not mean there are no longer consequences to our actions now that we are in Christ. It does mean, however, that we will not forfeit eternal life if Christ has redeemed us by His blood.

God has given us this knowledge as a means of motivation, which very simply means it isn’t a bad thing for you and I to be motivated by the prospect of our heavenly reward. That God has designed things this way gives us an even greater understanding of the liberality with which He seeks to bless His children. Knowing that His gifts are greater than the best gifts any earthly father can give, we ought to strive all the more to earn such treasures.

If you are like me though, this has to be at the forefront of your mind at all times, and even then you still fail. Like a child caught unawares of the good gifts God had in store for you, only to lose them in fits of disobedience, you’re perhaps recognizing now that you’ve already lost more than you can possibly know. In other cases, you know precisely what good, temporal gift you have forfeited because it has been stripped from you now. It is alright to grieve this loss. It is o.k. to weep over what may have been or what should have been. It is o.k. to recognize the forfeiture of a heavenly reward that was attached to the loss of that temporal gift. Likewise, it is wise for us to be motivated by this sense of loss, and a desire to avoid the discipline of the Lord in this manner in the future.

Once you have grieved your loss, wipe your face and look to Christ, and set out this day to right your path. Embrace your shame and sorrow in this, namely, because godly sorrow produces repentance that leads to salvation (2 Cor. 7:10). Then, give thanks that God has graciously spared your life so there is still time for you to earn your heavenly reward, bearing in mind that the most precious of which that has already been freely given to you, is the crowning jewel of all treasures: Christ Himself.

It is only when we see that having Christ is of unsurpassable value and being found in Him gives us insurmountable wealth that we will have a rightful eye on the bounty He so freely gives us in our obedience to Him. It is only when we see and treasure Christ for who He is that we will find true, lasting motivation to hold out in obedience, so that we might obtain our heavenly reward. To put it more clearly: not only will seeing and savoring Christ produce a desire in us to earn our heavenly reward, it will produced a desire in us to obey His commands rather than sin, because we will truly see that these things are of infinitely greater value than the sin that so easily ensnares us.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

Taking the Plunge Into God’s Story​

There’s a moment in childhood when you realize that the world is a much bigger place than the family farm (or apartment, suburban home, or village you call home). This awakening looks different for boys and girls, and I can tell only one side of that story from experience. But mine was a lot like Janner Igiby’s moment of awakening. He looked out over the Dark Sea of Darkness and knew his life until then was insignificant. I looked out over the Gulf of Mexico on our annual family vacation to Sanibel Island and realized there was land out there I couldn’t see. Both vistas evoked mystery and adventure—subjects that raise a big question in little boys’ minds: is there a larger story being told, here, and do I have a part in it?

That intro probably raises a question for many readers: who the blazes is Janner Igiby? Well, he’s the main character, or one of three main characters, in Andrew Peterson’s delightful children’s series, “The Wingfeather Saga.” I welcomed Andrew on Upstream this week to talk about this series, which I first read in 2016. Andrew is no stranger to Colson Center podcasts or events, and his music has long been a staple in the Morris home (he is one of the few other names included in our Rich Mullins playlists). And though my children regularly request the music from “The Wingfeather Saga” animated short film, I’m waiting until my youngest is old enough before reading the series with them.

Andrew told me he wrote the books “for children of all ages” and especially lovers of “The Princess Bride,” and C. S. Lewis’ “Chronicles of Narnia,” which means that but for my age, I’m squarely in his target audience. Yet the big question the saga answers (or at least did for me) seems relevant to every young soul who looks up one day from his or her T.H.A.G.S (Three Honored and Great Subjects) and asks, “what’s my role in all of it?”

Think of Darth Vader cajoling the naïve Luke Skywalker, assuring him that no matter how hard he resists the Dark Side, joining the Dark Lord to destroy the Emperor and “rule the galaxy as father and son” is his destiny. It’s the fatalism behind many of the pagan myths. But as Peterson subtly instructs young readers of his “Wingfeather Saga,” destiny may be real, but it’s not a foregone conclusion—not humanly speaking.

Again and again in “The Wingfeather Saga,” characters whose destiny is bound up with the salvation or destruction of Aerwiar find that destiny doesn’t get them off their duty to make the hard, right choices. Janner in particular finds himself in this situation more than once. In a scene that still gives me goosebumps, this young Throne Warden of Aniera chooses to dive into the sea to save his brother, even though he knows that claws and teeth will be his reward. “Protect!” says the voice of duty in his head. “Protect!” Yet he must make the choice and take the plunge. If he doesn’t, all will be lost.

By the end of the series, Janner realizes that as surely as the winds of destiny sweep him toward a sacrifice that will save his kingdom, the choice to make that sacrifice lies solely with him. The providence that guides him to His moment of decision has come short of forcing his hand. The ordination of whatsoever comes to pass, as the Westminster Confession puts it, has by no means abolished “the liberty or contingency of second causes,” but established them. Janner must do the right thing. And brave young man that he is, he does it—fulfilling not only his destiny, but that of the world.

In stories like “The Wingfeather Saga,” I hope my children develop a touch-sense for the contours of truth that keep them turning pages. But most of all I hope they realize that they are characters in a much greater and more important story, and that like Andrew (who admits he didn’t foresee the last scene until he was in the middle of writing it) they understand that their part in God’s tale may be foreordained, but they must still choose to take the plunge.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

5 Ways to Communicate With Your Partner By Being Less Defensive​

Many couples struggle with regrettable incidents and argue about the same things over and over again. While it’s tempting to attack your partner when you feel hurt or frustrated, it can lead to misunderstandings and emotional detachment. That said, you’ll get the love you want by focusing on listening rather than defending your position. Try to adopt a “we’re in this together” approach to communication and your relationship will improve over time.

For instance, if John says to Casey “I would appreciate it if you’d cut back on expenses for awhile,” this “I” statement would be more effective than saying, “You never worry about our budget, you overspend often.” In most cases, a“You” statement would spark her defensiveness.
Like many couples, John and Casey can benefit from expressing more positive statements. If John accuses Casey of overspending and assumes the worst of her, this will lead to an unfortunate pattern of negativity where both partners end up digging their heels in and have trouble connecting in an intimate and loving way.
The following are 5 ways to stop being defensive with your partner and foster loving communication:

5 Ways to Stop Being Defensive With Your Partner:
1. State needs clearly without blaming your partner. If you feel yourself feeling upset or taking things personally, press the pause button and suggest a break to your partner before continuing a difficult conversation. You might say “I’m feeling frustrated with our interaction right now and I can feel myself getting agitated. Can we talk again later tonight?

2. Validate your partner’s thoughts and feelings. When you respond to him or her, validate their perspective and use a soft start-up such as “I love you and want to get along.” Be sure to use good eye contact to reassure your partner you are listening to him or her.
3. Focus on the present. When you dwell on the past, you miss the chance to work together to come up with a solution to your problems. Instead, focus on the present to better understand your partner’s point of view. Fight against the urge to bring up your partner’s raw spots or issues you know might trigger his or her defensiveness.
4. Use “I” statements to express yourself without blaming your partner. State what you want clearly such as “I would like to talk about our budget with you.” Avoid using “You” statements such as “You never care about our budget.” Remember to focus on expressing your feelings in a way that invites your partner to communicate, rather than shutting him or her out or putting them down.
5. Focus more on your contribution to the problem and you will be less likely to point your finger at your partner or take things personally. Reflect on how your words and actions might make your partner feel and let him or her know that you own your part in a disagreement. Try to focus on changing your behavior, rather than trying to change your partner’s views or personality.

When you are having an dispute with your partner, remember your goals of mutual understanding and respect. It’s a good idea to give your partner the benefit of the doubt rather than attacking them or getting defensive. Being defensive or negative will only push your partner away. The next time you feel upset at your partner, examine your own thoughts and responses — before you point out his or her faults—if you want your relationship to last.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

Shame is a Unique Solution to a Unique Problem​

When distinguishing guilt from shame, we can easily oversimplify what makes them different and not appreciate certain similarities. I began to make this point in Part 1 of this series. In this post, I want to add a few unique features of shame, compared to guilt, that are not only interesting but important

A Unique Problem and Solution

An interesting feature of shame marks it distinct from guilt. Shame is “contagious.” Gregg Ten Elshof has a fantastic new book (called “For Shame”) coming out this summer in which he explains:
Shame and its opposite, honor, are contagious. Guilt and its opposite, innocence, are not. We talk about “guilt by association.” But, strictly speaking, there is no such thing as guilt by association.… you cannot be guilty for something someone else has done merely by means of your association with them. Guilt and innocence are inherently individualistic. They accrue to individuals as a consequence of what they (and only they) have done or failed to do. (86)
Of course, the nature of a problem will determine the nature of its solution. If I have a math problem, don’t give me a baking recipe to solve it. The same holds with shame and guilt. One can perhaps make amends for the wrong done (guilt), but how does one fix a person’s being bad? The remedy for guilt does little to affect the shame felt by shame experienced by victims of abuse and rape.

A far more comprehensive, seemingly impossible, task is required to undo the problem of shame.
Consider also one of the most common metaphors associated with shame –– impurity or uncleanness. In Unclean, Richard Beck says,
most sin categories are structured by metaphors that entail rehabilitation. But purity metaphors have no such entailments. Recall that contamination judgments are governed by the attribution of permanence. Once a foodstuff is judged to be polluted or contaminated nothing can be done to rehabilitate the situation. The fly in the soup ruins it. Consequently, when sins are structured by purity metaphors there is no obvious route to repentance. The metaphor only entails permanent defilement and ruin. (49).
In short, shame presents unique problems requiring a unique solution.

The Moral Power of Shame

But doesn’t guilt carry greater moral force? Does shame really have anything to do with morality? These are common questions I hear from people.

Teroni and Bruun give a detailed explanation why “there is no ground for regarding guilt as more ‘moral’ in any of these senses.” They summarize their conclusions in this way:
In relation to the moral quality of the action tendencies related to the two emotions, guilt may well be more closely correlated with a tendency to make up for wrongdoing. However, this is only a very narrow part of what can be considered morally valuable behaviour.
Shame in its prospective form helps avoid wrongdoing in the first place, and the self-regarding aspects of shame imply motivation to improve oneself that suggest a greater moral value for shame. In a word, guilt as it were only treats the symptoms of one’s moral defects; it is only concerned with the defects in our actions. The self-reforming tendencies associated with shame treat the cause; in shame we often focus on the faults in our character that dispose us to perform the misdeeds.

This aspect of shame is most apparent when we consider “Confucian shame,” or shame as a moral emotion. While feelings of guilt can be beneficial, they lack the potential moral force of shame to reform and direct our character.
I’ll close for now with a comment by John Rawls in his 1971 classic A Theory of Justice. Rawls says,
“In general, guilt, resentment, and indignation invoke the concepts of right, whereas shame, contempt, and derision appeal to the concept of goodness.”
Right versus goodness. Guilt versus shame. They don’t stand in opposition. There is much overlap between them. But they do appeal to different phenomena and shape us in different ways.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

My Marriage is a Battleground: How Can We Stop Arguing So Much?​

How can you break the pattern of bitter disputes that can lead to the breakup of a marriage? This is a question that couples often ask me. For instance, Monica, 46, and Jeffrey, 48, seem to have the same intense disputes over and over again and they usually involve their two sons, ages 10 and 12, and how to discipline them. They rarely show appreciation and love for each other and are considering divorce.

The video player is currently playing an ad. You can skip the ad in 5 sec with a mouse or keyboard

According to Dr. John Gottman, many couples end up in a gridlock because they argue about the same things over and over again. These perpetual differences rarely get resolved (or even managed) because people show contempt for each other and say things like “You’re so selfish or so mean.” They literally look down on each other rather than showing love, appreciation and respect.

Dr. Gottman explains that contempt is the leading cause of divorce and the second leading cause of divorce is criticism. In practical terms, this means you blame your partner for the problems in the relationship and attribute them to a flaw in your partner, rather than seeing them as a mutual issue which you both take responsibility for and can work on. Instead adopt an attitude of attitude of “We’re in this together.”

In addition, relationship expert Howard Markman, a psychology professor at the University of Denver, encourages couples to improve their interactions by following four steps. These include: not allowing arguments to escalate, focusing on your partner’s positive qualities rather than attacking negative ones, avoiding negative interpretations of your partner’s comments; and avoiding stonewalling or withdrawing from each other. The strategies below highlight key aspects of Dr. Markman’s research (and Dr. Gottman) by breaking it down into five essential steps.

5 ways to break a pattern of negative communication with your partner:

1. Stop blaming your partner and avoid criticism. Take responsibility for your part in a dispute. According to Dr. John Gottman , who has studied couples in his Love Lab for over 50 years, talking about specific issues will reap better results than attacking your partner. For instance, a complaint is: “I’m upset because you didn’t tell me about booking a vacation with your sister. We agreed to be honest with each other and money is a concern due to my hours being cut.” Versus a criticism: “You always lie to me. How can I trust you?”
2. Practice resolving conflicts as they arise rather than stonewalling. Don’t put aside resentments that can destroy your relationship. Experiencing conflict is inevitable and couples who strive to avoid it are at risk of developing stagnant relationships. Dr.John Gottman recommends you avoid defensiveness and showing contempt for your partner (rolling your eyes, ridicule, name-calling, sarcasm, etc.). Engage in a conversation with your partner that is productive rather than shutting down. Sometimes couples can benefit from a short break before doing this as long as they get back to it within twenty-four hours.

3. Use a soft start up when you bring up an issue: Say how you feel, state the reason you’re upset, and ask for what you need. You can build a culture of appreciation and let your partner know how you feel and what you need to feel better by using “I Statement” rather than “You Statements.” For example, “You never clean up after yourself” is an effective way to communicate (as discussed above in bullet #1).
4. Remind yourself of your partner’s positive qualities – even as you struggle with their flaws – and express your positive feelings out loud several times each day. Dr. Gottman advises you to nurture fondness and admiration for your partner by searching for common ground rather than insisting on getting your way when you have a disagreement. Listen to their point of view and adopt Gottman’s rule of five- to-one ratio of interactions – meaning for every negative interaction, you need five positive ones.
5. Adopt realistic expectations of marriage and understand that a good committed relationship or marriage requires effort. The fantasy that there is a “perfect person” or soul mate and that good relationships should be easy can be damaging to your commitment to our partner.

Keep in mind that all couples have perpetual problems, even the ones who seem like sole mates. The thing to remember is that realistic expectations and better communication can keep resentment from building and causing serious problems. The best way to create a relationship built on love, trust, an intimacy is to take responsibility for our own actions and to practice acceptance and compassion for our partner.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

3 Reasons Your Wife Plays Games Instead of Telling You What She Wants​

Not long ago, someone we know got engaged via a multi-stage, elaborate proposal that had clearly taken an immense amount of thought and effort. A mutual friend, upon hearing the story, told him, “Good job. Only 9,999,999 tests left to go.” The lucky groom, of course, wondered: why do women “test” and “play games” with their men at all? He said, “She wouldn’t just tell me she wanted me to come up with something big like that. She said, ‘Whatever you want’ but I suspected that she didn’t really mean it. I wish she would have just told me. But at least I got it right this time.”

Guys, there are 3 key reasons your wife wants you to figure out what she wants, rather than just telling you. (These aren’t my opinion, but are the results of years of research and nationally representative surveys of women for For Men Only.) I know these may seem absolutely crazy, but once you realize the truth of these factors – and learn to see and respond to them — you’ve truly cracked the code. Those things that probably most confuse you about women won’t confuse you anymore.

So read closely – and if you don’t think these three reasons could possibly be true, ask your wife!

Reason #1: If you make the effort to figure it out, it means she’s worth the effort.
You know how you look confident, but on the inside you privately worry whether you measure up? Well your wife has a different private worry: somewhere deep inside, every day, she wonders whether she is worth loving. Whether she matters. Whether she is lovable.

That question never goes away (just like you probably never get to a point that you feel as confident as you look). So each day, she’s looking for your signals as to the answer to that question. When you say “I love you” it signals that she is lovable. It reassures her that she must be worth loving, when you, this amazing man, make an effort to think through and understand why she might be upset rather than making her simply tell you. For example, it reassures her that she’s special, when you study her enough to know that she is completely frazzled and that it would mean a lot if you offered to take the kids so she can rest – without her having to tell you that.

Reason #2: If you figure it out and do something about it, it shows that you care.
You think it is the action that matters – which is why you wish she would just tell you what action she wants. Do you want me to take the kids to the park so you can rest? Do you want me to take you out to a quiet dinner for your birthday, or have a get-together with friends? While you’re upset with me right now, do you want me to apologize or leave you alone?

In the midst of those conundrums you’re probably thinking, “Just tell me what to do, and I’ll do it!” But always remember that the “doing” isn’t always the most crucial thing. What matters to her is the fact that you made the effort to figure out what matters to her. It shows she is worth that effort (see Reason #1) and – even more important – it shows that you care enough about her to make that effort for her.

Reason #3: If she has to tell you, she’ll never know whether you did it because you wanted to, or simply because she told you to.
Guys, we women don’t realize that you want to do those things that will make us happy. In other words, because of that secret “am I loveable” insecurity, we subconsciously may not believe that you want to “do” things for us because you care about us.

So when we tell you what we want you to do, and you do it, we honestly, truly don’t know whether you are doing it because you really wanted to –or just because you are putting up with us and doing it because we asked you to.
So men, here’s the bottom line: practice studying your wife. Don’t roll your eyes whenever you see what feels like a test. (As you can imagine, that makes her self-doubt worse!) Instead, use it as an opportunity to show her that she is someone who is loveable – and loved. And if you build up that certainty in her, you’ll see those tests a lot less often.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

When You Feel HOPELESS, Remember THIS​

I’ve been drained lately. I just feel at the end of myself, which is likely right where God wants me. Nevertheless, its painful, scary and uncomfortable to say the least.
This morning I was sitting reading in Lamentations. I had forgotten how much I love this book of the Bible. The author of Lamentations officially remains nameless to my understanding, but many believe it was Jeremiah. In Hebrew Lamentations means “how”. I’ve often asked God, “how did this happen?” Or “why am I going through this?” You may have asked this same question, as a result of yours or someone else’s sin or poor decision.

Lamentations 3:25-36 MSG reads-
“God proves to be good to the man who passionately waits,
To the woman who diligently seeks.
It’s a good thing to quietly hope, quietly hope for help from God.
It’s a good thing when you’re young to stick it out through hard times.

When life is heavy and hard to take, go off by yourself. Enter the silence.
Bow in prayer. Don’t ask questions: wait for hope to appear. Don’t run from trouble.
Take it full-face. The “worst” is never the worst.
Why? Because the Master won’t ever walk out and fail to return.

If he works severely, he also works tenderly. His stockpiles of loyal love are immense.
He takes no pleasure in making life hard, in throwing roadblocks in the way.”

Maybe you have messed something up lately or maybe a relationship you have isn’t working. Perhaps you feel God is far away or absent altogether. Maybe you’re waiting for a God-given promise. There is hope. I love what this passage says about entering the silence when we are seeking God for something. I know my default can be to phone a friend to gab about the situation before I talk to God about it.

Nevertheless, take some advice from the “lamenting” book and go off by yourself. Pray about it, and whatever you do- don’t ever stop waiting for hope to appear.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

DOES GOD SPEAK TO YOU?​

Someone once said, “it is normal to say, ‘I talk to God.’ But when you say, ‘God talks to me.’ That’s when everyone thinks you are crazy!”

Believe it or not, God wants to speak directly to you. Jesus said in John 10, “My sheep hear my voice.”
Some of us have never heard God’s voice or if we have, we didn’t know it was God’s voice.
How do we learn to hear God’s voice? The life of Samuel can teach us a lot about this question. In 1 Samuel 2:21 it says, “And the boy Samuel grew in the presence of the Lord.”

Samuel grew in the presence of the Lord. Just as Samuel grew, so we need to grow in the presence of God. But how do you grow in the presence of God?
Like any good relationship. You have to spend time together, talk to each other, and listen to each other. We do this through prayer, journaling, fasting, Bible reading, confession of sin, Bible memorization. We call these the disciplines of the faith. You grow in the presence of God when you focus on the living Word of God.

God is always at work raising up new leadership in us and through us, if we will but listen to Him and do what He is speaking to us.
God came to the corrupt priest Eli and said in 1 Samuel 2:35, “And I will raise up for myself a faithful priest, who shall do according to what is in my heart and in my mind.”
God has declared to Eli the priest; your season is over because you stewarded it for me in an ungodly way. God tells Eli he has someone He is raising up to take his place.

Then God calls Samuel and Samuel responds in 1 Samuel 3:4, “Here I am!”5 and ran to Eli and said, “Here I am, for you called me.” But he said, “I did not call; lie down again.” So, he went and lay down.
This happened two more times and finally Eli realizes what is happening to Samuel and says in 1 Samuel 3:9, “Go, lie down, and if he calls you, you shall say, ‘Speak, Lord, for your servant hears.’ So, Samuel went and lay down in his place.”
What irony, this man who has stopped listen to God’s voice and obeying it is now teaching Samuel how to hear and respond to God’s voice.

I know this is strange, but I have experienced it in my own life more than once. God sometimes uses corrupt leaders to teach us godly principles and practices.
I remember a guy who came to Liberty University when I was a college student, and he could quote scripture like nobody’s business. He inspired me, but I later learned that he was fraud and a liar. His life was a lie.

Recently I had someone in my office who was broken over Ravi Zacharias and what he has done. The person was asking, “What do I do with this four-foot stack of books he has written, that I have in my possession.” Ravi was maybe the greatest and most well-known apologist we have known. He has been called, “the Billy Graham of Apologetics.” I encouraged my friend not to get rid of those books and not to minimize the things he learned from them, because even though Ravi wouldn’t apply it to his own life, it is still the truth of Jesus for my friend’s life.
Sometimes God uses ungodly leaders to teach us godly practices.

Eli taught Samuel that the beginning of hearing God’s voice is the acknowledgement of God’s presence in your life and then inviting Him to speak to you. Say, “Speak Lord, I am listening for your voice.” Once you have done this, then listen to what He has to say to you. Hopefully the first time God speaks to you it won’t be as heavy as it was for Samuel. God says to Samuel in 1 Samuel 3:11, “Behold, I am about to do a thing in Israel at which the two ears of everyone who hears it will tingle. 12 On that day I will fulfill against Eli all that I have spoken. 13 And I declare to him that I am about to punish his house.”

Look at how Samuel responds to God in 1 Samuel 3:15, “Samuel lay until morning; then he opened the doors of the house of the Lord. And Samuel was afraid to tell the vision to Eli.
Hearing from God for the first time can be an unsettling thing, but can you imagine if this is the first thing you ever heard God speak to you? God didn’t give Samuel time to crawl or walk. Samuel had to hit the ground running. This is a very heavy first word and Samuel was afraid to share it. You may find yourself afraid to share something that God has revealed to you.

You and I have to learn how to speak what God says to us in the face of fear.
God wants us to represent Him to others. He wants us to hear what He is saying to us through His Word and His Spirit and represent Him to others. It could be the message of salvation.
Maybe they have never given their life to Jesus. The most prophetic message you can ever share with anyone is, “Jesus loves you and wants to save your live forever. Or it could be a specific word about someone’s calling on their life or sadly it could be a sinful habit in their life. Whatever it is, we must always share in love for the glory of Jesus and the good of others. This has to be our focus and our motivation.

May the Lord give each of us the special grace we need to hear His voice and speak on His behalf to others.
Blessings,
Pastor Kelly

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Light It Up . . . Right Where You Are

[ 1 min read ★ ]

You are the light of the world—Matthew 5:14

The strongest evidence that we are where God wants us—in our jobs, in our careers, in our cities—is simply that we’re there. God Almighty knows where we are. He sees us (Luke 12:6-7). He is with us (1 Corinthians 3:16). There is a plan. King David sang to God, "in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them" (Psalm 139:16). So, where we are—right now—is no accident. And until further notice (which may come), we’ve got to assume that where we are is where he wants us to be . . . for specific reasons, for his specific purposes.

High on that list of God’s purposes is that we’re his light in our existing regions of influence and impact (Matthew 5:14). Jesus tells us to not hide the light that radiates from us when we follow him: "let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven" (Matthew 5:16). Our lights dim, however, when we get too comfortable with the cultures of the places where we find ourselves—in our jobs, in our careers, in our cities. We must, therefore, resist adoption, whether conscious or subconscious, of the prevailing beliefs, codes, or values of those places. We follow Christ. We believe him. That’s our code. Our values are his values.

Okay, so what do we do?

Look around. How would you describe the top two or three most apparent and distinct values/beliefs in your place of work or your city? What is the accepted "code" for someone in your career? Be specific and matter-of-fact. Now, give it some thought . . . what do you think about the answers to those questions?

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chinese Christians Have Faith in the Wilderness. Will We?​

Today’s guest post is from Elizabeth Raleigh. She and her family spent twenty years in ministry in China. They’ve recently relocated to Central Asia. She shares her experience leaving China in light of a great new book Faith in the Wilderness, a collection of sermons from Chinese house church pastors.

I feel a bit sheepish admitting this, but it always seemed to me that the Beatitudes took things a few verses too far. Blessed are “the poor in spirit, those who mourn, the meek….” None of those situations sound particularly enviable. Still, the Beatitudes paint a beautiful picture.
But what about the final verse? “Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account.” The blessings of persecution?! Deeply embracing this truth stretches me.

The Final Chapter of Our China Story

My husband and I spent two decades ministering in China. As government pressure and persecution increased, we watched Chinese house church pastors sent to prison, church facilities forcibly closed, and fellow ex-pat mission workers’ visas revoked. For several years, the religious affairs bureau questioned my husband about our ministry. The conversations were wide-ranging, pressured, and uncomfortable. Local believing friends had similar, but much more difficult, interactions.

In January 2020, we flew south to a neighboring country for some much-needed refreshment. A few days later, COVID hit. We didn’t know it then, but we would never return to our apartment, belongings, and beloved city.
Months later, we made the heart-wrenching decision to close the China chapter of our lives. Twenty years of memories—the books I read aloud when the kids were toddlers, the family photos hanging on our walls, the Legos lined up on the windowsill— all needed to be sorted from thousands of miles away.

Our family’s story is not unique. Few ex-pat workers remain in China. It seems a door has closed for outsiders to work alongside believers inside China.
Why does God write the story this way? Why so much heartache and loss? And why does following Jesus need to cost so much? In truth, for two thousand years, countless believers have walked the road of pain and persecution for the gospel’s sake.

The Chinese Wilderness

Today, our Chinese brothers and sisters are walking this hard road. My suitcase held swimsuits and flip-flops. My heart held the lessons of life and ministry alongside the Chinese church.

My years laboring alongside Chinese believers showed me over and over again that there is something notable about the final verses of the Beatitudes, something worth exploring and understanding in deeper ways as we mature in our faith. This is why Hannah Nation and Simon Liu’s Faith in the Wilderness is a gift to both me and the church (cf. Phil 1:29).

The sermons in Faith in the Wilderness provide a unique opportunity to sit under the teaching of Chinese house church pastors. They illustrate how walking through a trial can be a beautiful gift.

With an estimated 60-90 million people, the Chinese house church movement is radically changing the spiritual landscape of China. God has expanded an urban church led by college-educated believers. They dream of–– and in many cases lead–– large numbers of congregants that gather in person, despite government opposition. The pastors are trained and equipped. Their churches are self-funded. They are sending cross-cultural mission workers to the Muslim world.

In Faith in the Wilderness, the sermons are intentionally arranged in three distinct sections: “Meditations on Brokenness,” “Meditations on Redemption,” and “Meditations on Hope.”
In “Meditations on Brokenness,” the sermons walk readers through biblical passages that teach the fragility of life, the eminence of death, and the realities of hell. Yet they also preach a rich hope, rooted in our eternal security. I was particularly moved by Pastor Peng’s encouragement that our eternal security empowers us to love courageously because death is not the final destination of a believer (p. 55).

“Meditations on Redemption” magnifies the truth that salvation is by faith through grace. Chinese house church pastors face imprisonment. Police confiscate church property. Sunday morning meeting locations must change frequently. Police raid church schools, harass church members, and threaten their family members.
These pastors carry a heavy mantle. We should be encouraged that their hearts cling to these critical truths.

“You are good enough in Christ. Christ has put his righteousness on you. This is the gospel and salvation God wants to give us through his Son Jesus Christ, and it is given freely to you.” (p. 71)
“Religions say a person must do good in exchange for legal identity before God. The gospel says that as unforgivable sinners, none of our work reaches the standard of God.” (p. 86)
“Whatever happens, you have Christ. If he is with you, you have everything.” (p. 100)
The final section, “Meditations on Hope,” presents a rich vision of the believer’s future hope. The final sermon speaks directly to those of us who find ourselves walking through suffering and persecution.

“If we do not know the path of God’s righteousness in the midst of suffering, then we will choose either to live in a self-constructed illusion of quietness, or we will jump in headfirst and the endless suffering will over-whelm us and make our hearts bitter. But if we look to Revelation 15, we find that before God brings his people into tribulation, he gives them reassurance rooted in the gospel to withstand it.” (p. 137)

Applying Faith Lessons to My Life​

I first opened Faith in the Wilderness while sitting in a small café in a new-to-me city in a new-to-me part of the world. Will I ever love the people in my new country with the intensity that I still love the Chinese? Our first months removed from China were a heart-wrenching loss. Our world had fallen apart. All we wanted to do was go home to China, and that was impossible.

Choices made years ago– to invest our lives in the growth of the global church– cost us more than we anticipated.
This season carries beauty even in its severity. God is stripping me of my fig leaves and my competencies. He is gently placing me in a place where I see my strengths and abilities rightly, as nothing compared to the surpassing power of my heavenly Father.

These sermons from Chinese pastors are both encouraging and instructive. I’m grateful because they remind me the road of suffering is not a lonely one. Faith in the Wilderness is not a book to read at arm’s distance, thinking of the Chinese church as “over there.” When believers faithfully move towards the lost and broken with gospel hope, suffering will follow.

The book is a beautiful devotional resource for believers around the world, to be read slowly, not devoured in one stretch. As our minds more fully grasp these gospel truths amid suffering, the promises in the final verses of the Beatitudes will no longer sound so dissonant.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

HEARING GOD’S VOICE AND OBEYING IN OUR SORROWS​

Someone once said, “The hand that rocks the cradle, rules the world.” They must have been thinking about the story of Hannah and Samuel in 1 Samuel when they said that.
Hannah was a barren woman who longed to have children. She cried to God in her sorrows. God wants to meet us in our sorrows.
Maybe you feel “small” today in your life. Maybe the circumstances of your life are huge and overwhelming. Good! God’s about to do something through you that will amaze you. I pray you allow Hannah’s life to inspire you.

We meet Hannah for the first time in 1 Samuel 1:2. She is described as, “Hannah who had no children.” She was known by her sorrow.
The Bible tells us in 1 Samuel 1:3 that Hannah’s husband would go up to the city every year to worship God and give thanks to God for His goodness and blessings to them. Because Hannah was barren, her husband had taken another wife in order to have children. This was a common practice in that day similar to surrogacy today. However, her surrogate often tormented her that she could not have children. It was a painful visit for Hannah to go and worship the Lord and give thanks in the midst of her sorrows.

The Bible tells us in 1 Samuel 1:6 that Hannah couldn’t have children because the Lord had closed Hannah’s womb. It is very difficult to give glory to God when God is the source of your greatest sorrow.
You are supposed to be giving glory to God today for His goodness to you and all you can think about is the blessing God has withheld from you. This is truly the dilemma of life.

Maybe you find yourself there today. I know I have been there. What do you do? These next seven words are crushing to a spirit that is already struggling. 1 Samuel 1:7 says, “So it went on year by year.”
Not only was she barren at a festival in the presence of her rival, where she was supposed to give glory to God for His blessings, but it went on year after year.
I find that a lot of people stop showing up for church for this very reason, they are tired of seeing God bless others before them. Can you relate? You are happy for them, but you want to say to the Lord, “where’s my blessing Lord?”

It is important in these seasons that we keep leaning into God in the midst of our sorrows.
Hannah’s pain was great, ongoing and unrelenting.
In the midst of Hannah’s hopelessness, she kept inviting God into these dark and hopeless spaces. She does this in 1 Samuel 1:11 when she said to God, “O Lord of hosts, if you will indeed look on the affliction of your servant and remember me and not forget your servant, but will give to your servant a son, then I will give him to the Lord all the days of his life,”

I remember as a kid my mom telling me she prayed this prayer over me when I was two-years old, sick, and dying in a hospital bed in Louisville, Kentucky. My parents were told there was no hope for me to live. My mom knelt by my bed and prayed this prayer that Hannah prayed. I didn’t miraculously get up out of the bed that day, but I started getting better from that day forward.
If you and I are going to hear and obey God in our sorrows, we have to dedicate the darkest places of our lives to God’s miraculous power.

Hannah stays after it. Hannah says to Eli the Priest in 1 Samuel 1:15, “I have been pouring out my soul before the Lord. 16 I have been speaking out of my great anxiety and vexation.”
I love Eli’s response to Hannah, 1 Samuel 1:17, “Go in peace, and the God of Israel grant your petition that you have made to him.” I love Hannah’s response to Eli’s in 1 Samuel 1:18, “Let your servant find favor in your eyes.” Then the woman went her way and ate, and her face was no longer sad.

Can you say that and do that? If so, we should follow Hannah’s example. The next day 1 Samuel 1:19 tells us, “She rose early in the morning and worshiped before the Lord.”
Hannah didn’t allow her pain to define her practice of worship.

The Bible tells us in 1 Samuel 1:20 that in due time God gave Hannah a son. She named him Samuel because that means “I asked for him from the Lord.” She wanted Samuel to know He was from the Lord. The loudest human voice in my head is my mom’s voice. She told me the story of my life when I was too young to remember it. She told me how God blessed my life and saved me. But the blessing wasn’t the end of the story. She reminded me of God’s faithfulness to me and she told me of God’s purpose for me.

God doesn’t bless us so we can be blessed. He blesses us so we can live out His purpose for our existence.
Do you see the blessings of God as your means to fulfill your purpose?
After Hannah weaned Samuel, she took him back to the house of God where God heard her cry and answered her. She said to God in 1 Samuel 1:28, “As long as Samuel lives, he is lent to the Lord.”

My mom went to heaven twenty-nine years ago, but her dedication of me to God like Hannah did Samuel, still carries great weight and fulfillment through my life and ministry today.
Keep obeying God’s voice in your life. Dedicate your sorrows to God like Hannah, and in due time, He will fulfill His eternal purpose through it.
Blessings,
Pastor Kelly

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why do tyrants always behave stupidly?​

Read about the downfall of any tyrant, even a less than awful one such as Napoleon, and you marvel at the increasingly foolish decisions the tyrant makes. If only they did not, if only they stopped, if only they did not say, but the tyrants do, go on, speak.

They cannot stop.

Why?

Plato suggests in Republic that a tyrant is afraid. He has what many of us want, but that something, power, has made him a target. He knows, how well he knows, what has to be done to get the power and to keep rule. Most tyrants ride a wave of popular support. History, or at least youth, are with them, but if they live long enough, they learn what they thought was history is a fickle thing. His generation raises the next and they reject the tyrant. Moral beliefs that were certain in his day are challenged as “obviously” wrong. The scientific point of view of his youth has become the “misuse of science.”

How is this possible? You cannot get “ought” from “is” and so one generation’s certainty on an ethical issue can be the next generation’s horror. Oddly, the broad ethical consensus, the moral law, is obvious enough that errors, sometimes very serious errors, are made in particulars, applications of that law. Everyone is pro-life and everyone is for love, but each generation wobbles off the center in some version of the old ways of failing to respect life or to be loving. It is better to lose, if you are following the moral law, in the short term than to win as a tyrant.

Why?

The reaction to tyranny is always, justifiably, fierce. If perfect love casts out all fear, the will to power in the tyrant casts out all love. He ends up surrounded by transactional figures: people who work for treats, money, rewards, power. He knows this and slowly all the old loyalists are purged by his doubts. The tyrant has wanted power and if clever or lucky, gains power, but can only keep that power by increasingly counter-productive means. When the “new” might have come to the office with moderates in charge, he jails the moderates. When the “new” might have swept into office with some checks and balances on the radicals, he jails these leaders. Finally, the opposition becomes so radicalized, the government so dependent on mere power, that the tyrant falls. If he is lucky, he dies first (see Lenin), but he is always afraid . . . even of his own followers.

Why say this?

Institutions, colleges, non-profits, and the government are changing. If the goal is power, then losing is frightening. If the goal is justice, then some losing is good for the soul and any movement. Losing purges the dross in all of us, sends us back to first principles, and reveals true friends. We love our enemies, pray for those who despitefully use us, and wait. Times change. Yesterday’s verities are tomorrow’s embarrassments: ask Woodrow Wilson. After all, if we are right, and persist, then the tyrants cannot win. The atheist Butchers of Beijing must clamp down, shoot, imprison the university students, the young people, the successful for being religious, for thinking differently than the tyrants. They are afraid.

Those that love need have no fear. Of course, in the course of time the moral anomalies in any nation, the progress that is really decadence, will fail. Our “values” will “win,” because “history” will once again sweep them into power. That generation will do her duty and her best and if she avoids tyranny, as much as she can, build civilization. If she becomes unwilling to lose, even a bit, then that generation will become tyrannical. No government is so good that it cannot be monstrous.

How can a person avoid tyranny? Find the dialectic. Engage in discussion. Practice Christian humility and live by faith. Realize that what seems most certain today may be swept away tomorrow if one is keeping score by the pieties of the “winners.” Losing, even being crucified, is better than one moment of injustice to avoid the same. Why? The courage of our convictions tells us to endure and leave victory to God.
Most of all, pray daily: “Lord Jesus Christ, son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.”

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hitting the Throttle

[ 1 min read ★ ]

And we all . . . are being transformed
. . . from one degree of glory to another—2 Corinthians 3:18

There’s a pattern to the lives of men trying to follow Jesus Christ: sin, confession, repentance, change . . . sin, confession, repentance, change. There are other aspects to these men’s lives, but this pattern is always present. It ensures that lives are transformed, over time—that sins change and lessen in severity through the cycles of the pattern. It is, in this way, an upward spiral of increasingly coming into the character of Jesus. The pattern ensures that no man gets stuck in sin, or worse, in a downward, ever more severe, spiral of sin.

God the Holy Spirit—when and if we offer our lives to Jesus—will guide us into upward spirals. If we hold onto our lives, though, we’ll inevitably slip into downward ones. It may not be obvious at first, maybe not for years, until we can deny it no longer—until anger, anxiety, depression, despondency, loneliness, isolation, boredom, or rebellion take over. And, even then, we can still offer our lives to Jesus and begin upward spirals. The penitent thief, crucified next to Jesus, began one just minutes before his death (Luke 23:40-43).

Now, being men, a question arises: can we hit the throttle of change? Can we speed the velocity of our upward spirals? Absolutely. The Spirit does most of the work—it’s called grace. But, we can couple more and more of our obedience to more and more of his grace and, thereby, crank up the speed of our transformations . . . and, in fact, the transformations of our faith communities.

Okay, so what do we do?

Get into community with other men. Create a safe place for authentic, raw confession. Encourage each other to turn from sin, from wrong beliefs about yourselves and about God. Pray expectantly for ever more change. Do just those . . . and things will get interesting quickly.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

Are You Headed for a Grey Divorce?​

In recent years, there has been a lot of traction on the web about grey divorce. If you are over age 50 and have been married for a few decades, the media might have you questioning if your marriage is in on the rocks and you may not even realize it.

The Pew Research Center’s report, “Led by Baby Boomers, Divorce Rates Climb for America’s 50+ Population” paints a worrisome portrait of marriage over 50 since they claim that the divorce rate for people over age 50 has roughly doubled since the 1990’s.

However, Professors Naomi Cahn at the George Washington University Law School and June Carbone at the University of Minnesota Law School, examined at the latest research on grey divorce and are more optimistic, saying that the divorce rate is still not all that high for those over age 50.

In fact, these statistics will bring hope to those of us who married later or remarried and are over age 50. In 1990, five out of every 1,000 married people divorced. In 2010, 10 out of every 1,000 married people divorced. While the rate has risen more dramatically for those over age 50, it is still half the rate of those under age 50.
In search of more reasons why we can be optimistic, I interviewed three couples who are in a successful first or second marriage, are over age 50, and don’t have plans to divorce on their radar.

Claire, 64, put it like this: “Rick and I remarried after troubled first marriages and we’re happy to find love can be better the second time around. Sure, we have arguments, mostly about money, but at the end of the day, we make up and feel grateful to be moving into retirement with a partner who loves to travel and spend time with grandkids. We’re both boomers in our mid-sixties and have zest for life and each other.”

Another couple, Ryan, 58, and Linda, 55, have been happily married for twenty years, have three adolescents, and love the fast pace of married life and raising active, healthy teenagers.
Ryan reflects, “Some of our friends are single, others are divorced, many don’t have kids. We choose to get married late (in late thirties) and love watching our kids grow. We wouldn’t trade out lives with any of the people in our circle who have less stress but no kids to leave as our legacy.”
Lastly, Karen, 52, and Nick, 54, talked to me about the challenges of living in a stepfamily in their 50’s but they are going for counseling and learning to respect their differences and work out financial stress.

Karen says, “We didn’t realize that it would be so challenging to combine four kids in a stepfamily. We both had two kids when we married and weekends are pretty chaotic with schedules, events, and disagreements among all of us. Combining our lives and our histories has been difficult but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.”

Certainly, I interviewed a small sample of happily married couples who don’t represent all married couples over 50. However, keep in mind, that listening to stories can be encouraging and the couples that I spoke with all mentioned that they’ve weathered the storms of issues with kids, financial stress, and even blending kids from two families.

It’s my hope that the stories in this blog may inspire you to seek counseling when you go through a tough patch with your spouse. In fact, you may decide to recommit to your spouse because you believe that there are many positive aspects and bright spots to marriage over 50. Or, you might even agree with me that while marriage isn’t easy as we age, it can bring many unexpected delights and adventures that make it worth taking the journey.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

The Most Dangerous Threat to Your Relationship​

There are a lot of things that threaten a relationship. Challenging circumstances. Outside temptations. But the most dangerous thing in your relationship might surprise you. It is a bigger threat than circumstance or temptation, anger or addiction. In fact, it is the undercurrent of all other dangers.

We are made for community. Yet, we are each valuable individuals. The beauty of relationship is the merger of these two realities: being who we are in the context of community. The most dangerous threat to your relationship is an internal one. It is a specific mistake we often make as we try to navigate the balance of unique identity in relationship with others.

Who is the Antagonist?
There is nothing more powerful than a story. We are all living a unique story. Heroes and villains, obstacles and triumphs. Our lives are an epic journey.

An important question in the story of any human is who is the antagonist? Who is the enemy? Our story needs an antagonist. We need someone, some thing, that we are defeating, rising above, conquering. We need it in our greater story and in the story of our day. It might be complacency or fear. Satan or a rival at work. This is why we love sports and politics, reality TV and gossip. We need something we are coming up against to make us feel alive, to give our story meaning and weight.

Proximity

Unfortunately, the people closest to us are the easiest people to cast as the antagonist in our story. They are with us every day. They have their own unique ideas. Their own story. And we can so easily start to compete with the people we love the most. This is what turns loving couples into bitter divorcees. It is what causes Jerry Springer to never run out of guests.

The biggest threat to your relationship is the temptation to cast your partner as the antagonist in your story. This happens all the time in relationships. It occurs in small ways every day.

When I am telling a story to friends, I need an antagonist. I am obviously going to be the hero, so I need some obstacle to overcome, something to rise above. My wife is often the antagonist. I start a story by putting her on blast: “She is pretty bad with directions” (luckily she has me to show her the way); “She takes a nap every day!” (luckily, I am here to work hard and earn the money); “She hates [fill in the blank]” (as opposed to me, who is much more cultured and open-minded). The safest way for us to build ourselves up is to tear down the people around us.

The people closest to us are the easiest punching bags. We knew them well, we know their quirks and their preferences and their imperfections. And we love to use these as fodder for our own stories of triumph. We protect them when they make a mistake. We know something when they are oblivious or foolish. We use our partners to make ourselves look better. We are always protecting our image in front of others, much more sensitive to how we might look bad than how what we are saying might make our partner look.

Re-Aligned

The results are a subtle poison in our relationships. We are always trying to one-up the people we love most. Always talking about how we are the peacemakers in an otherwise turbulent family, how we are the providers or the planners, the ones who know what is best or the ones who have their life together. We are the heroes of our families, the saints and saviors of the relationship. We love them in spite of their foolishness and imperfection.

It will break your heart if you start looking for this. How often couples say something (just casual, just for fun) that tears the other down, cast them in a bad light, makes fun of them.
The reason this is so dangerous is because it undermines the vision of a relationship. Relationships are about unity, togetherness. You are on the same team! Striving for a unified goal, partners in pursuing that end. Without a stated, intentional vision for our relationship, we devolve into fighting over who is the hero and who is the antagonist. We tell our stories and our relationships die by a thousand little cuts.

A unified relationship can withstand any circumstance. People who know and accept that they are on the same team cannot be breached by outside temptations. What drives us to the other dangers of relationship is the subtle belief that our partner is the antagonist in our story.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

Acts 24

In Acts 24, Paul has the first of several trials before a Roman governor. We must bear in mind that the governor’s job was to maintain peace in the region. The fact that Paul spent 2 years in prison in Caesarea (AD 57-59) was a direct result of the fact that those in power were seeking either a bribe from Paul (26) or to make the Jewish leaders happy (27).

Paul is convinced that he is on trial because of the resurrection of Jesus (15). Interestingly, Paul claims that while he was in Jerusalem, “I was not arguing with anyone at the Temple or in the synagogues” (12). This is quite a break from his custom of arguing Sunday-Friday in the marketplaces (17:17) or lecture halls (19:9) and every Saturday in the Synagogues (13:5, 14, 42-44; 14:1; 16:13; 17:3, 10; 18:4, 19; 19:8).

Paul remained detained under Felix for two reasons: he probably wondered why a man (Paul) who had just come to Jerusalem with a large amount of money (17) did not offer him a bribe. Secondly, Felix was recalled to Rome by Nero in AD 59 for the bloodshed he caused among the Jews of Caesarea. So, because he wished to “grant a favor to the Jews” he “left Paul in prison” (27).

Questions to ponder/discuss:

• I suspect that we would not have had the composure that Paul displayed. We would be much more vocal about the injustice of our being imprisoned and how we are unworthy. This, of course, is a sign of our privilege. For myself, I would be enraged because I have so much to do and being imprisoned hampers my ability to “fulfill my calling.” What about you? How would you have handled it?
  • The significance of Paul’s maintaining “a blameless conscience” (16) is that it enabled him to continue to preach about “righteousness, self-control and the judgment to come” (25). Paul’s witness was not hindered by his actions!
  • I am not suggesting that we are called to be silent in the face of injustice, or that we should accept whatever comes our way. I am suggesting how we react to such matters. We can cry out against injustice, but how we do so is important.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

Acts 25

The new governor was a man named Porcius Festus (AD 59). It is important to recall that the tensions between Rome and Jerusalem were very high. The war between Rome and Jerusalem was just around the corner. The threat of revolt was extremely high. The poor leadership of Felix and now Festus did not help.

The new governor decided to pay a courtesy visit to Jerusalem. The Jerusalem authorities informed him of Paul and their desire to have him tried in Jerusalem. Luke notes that “they were preparing an ambush to kill him along the way” (3). We do not know how Luke knew this, but it is quite likely that Paul also knew that something of this nature was planned.

Paul appears in court before Festus. “Festus, wishing to do the Jews a favor,” asks if Paul would be willing to go to Jerusalem for trial (9). Paul likely feared that if Festus was willing to make such a concession to the Jews—that is to have Paul tried in Jerusalem and not in Caesarea—what else might he be willing to agree to? Therefore, Paul exercises the right of all Roman citizens and appeals to Caesar (11: Nero). Paul may have concluded that he stood a better chance of a fair trial before Nero in Rome than he did before Festus and the Jews in Jerusalem.

The chapter closes with the visit of another Roman official: King Agrippa II and his sister Bernice (grandkids of Herod the Great). Agrippa pays a courtesy visit to the new Governor Festus. Festus informed Agrippa of Paul.

• Paul’s appeal to Caesar is an example of exercising one’s rights. The notion that Christians should just suffer willingly and not make a defense is abhorrent to the biblical text. The text calls us to suffer well. This does not mean that we must suffer needlessly. We should exercise all legal recourse for the defense of the innocent. Those who counsel otherwise should not be allowed to counsel anymore.
  • I am thinking in particular of pastors and church leaders who counsel women that their role is to love their husbands and endure the abuse well so as to be a witness to them. No, in such instance their job is to get out of there and to protect themselves and any children they might have.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

Acts 26

Paul’s speech before Agrippa is one of his most autobiographical speeches. Again, note the stress on the resurrection of Jesus (6-8). Paul contends, “Why should any of you consider it incredible that God raises the dead?” (8).

Paul explains that “I thought I was to do all that was possible to oppose the Name of Jesus of Nazareth” (9; see 22:4, 5). He recounts his efforts to arrest the Christ-followers. In fact, he says, “when they were put to death, I cast my vote against them” (10). [we do not know if Paul was a member of the Sanhedrin who actually had a vote]

Paul adds, “Many a time I went from one synagogue to another to have them punished” (11). He was so convinced that the Christ movement was blasphemous before God that “I tried to force them to blaspheme” (11) [which may mean that he was trying to compel them in a manner in which they wouldn’t succeed: i.e., not to blaspheme].

Everything changed when Jesus appeared to him on the road to Damascus (12-18). The conflict, of course, was the result of the fact that he was commissioned to preach to the Gentiles: “that they should repent and turn to God and prove their repentance by their deeds” (20). Paul adds that this is what the prophets spoke about: “Christ would suffer” (Isa 53); “rise from the dead” (Ps 16:10); and, “proclaim light to the Gentiles (Isa 49:6).

Agrippa and Festus conclude: this man could have been set free if he had not appealed to Caesar” (32). The result of Paul’s appeal to Caesar, however, is that all other authorities no longer have jurisdiction over his case.

• The resurrection of Jesus is the central pillar of Christianity. We are good at arguing all kinds of secondary and tertiary matters (baptism, communion, music, etc.). We would do well, however, to learn from Paul. He was eminently focused on Jesus and the resurrection. The resurrection, and living in accord with it, does not mean that we are detached from the present world. In fact, the resurrection and our hope in it point to the restoration of this creation (We will see this especially in Colossians). If you struggle with all the periphery matters that so often bog Christians down (politics, theological debates about the end of the world, etc.), I encourage you to read this speech again (and perhaps Philippians 3 or 1 Corinthians 15).
  • Ask God to show you what resurrection living looks like. Then ask for the Spirit to empower you to live in accord with it!

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

Acts 27

Today’s reading recounts Paul’s journey to Rome. Because the fall was upon them, it was “already after the Fast” (9; in AD 59, the fast was Oct 5. Sailing in the Mediterranean was considered dangerous after Sept. 14. The wisest course would have been to wait until the Spring to venture onwards.

Despite the fact that Paul warned them of danger if they were to sail on (10), they did so anyway. The result is that they encountered a hurricane (14). After two weeks they managed to arrive on the Isle of Malta (28:1).

Note: the extensive details of Paul’s voyage to Rome is likely the result of Luke’s presence.

• Note that Paul’s speech before Agrippa and his upcoming appearance before Nero fulfills what Ananias was told about Paul: he would bear witness before “kings” (9:15). Doing so as a prisoner is probably not what Paul envisioned.