• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Gurkhas damn kilat is a MYTH!

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't think the Indian or Burmese Army took over any Gurkha from the departing British. The British took all of them along when departing, and make some of them available to friendly and trusted former colonies only. There's a difference between Nepalese and what we call Gurkha. Gurkhas are trained and qualified by the British Army in Nepal. Not every Nepalese are born Gurkha or can qualify to be a Gurkha under the British training regime.

In fact most who tried to enlist failed Gurkha BMT and got sent home to sulk and sob, then resume farming. Who the hell in Nepal want to join the Indian or Burmese Army, might as well go back home farming. All want to join the British Army, much better pride and much better pay. Not forgetting too, there was the oath of perpetual loyalty to the British sworn by their warrior class ancestors to honour.

Gurkha training is singularly focused on landfighting only, for missions that are like those of commandos or marines, but eqipped and armed like infantry riflemen only, except plus the khukuri. There're no Gurkhas trained in piloting, navigating, armour, artillery or other more sophisticated weaponry. I think that's rearguard for the British, no Gurkha bridage or contingent would be able to operate by itself in an all-out war.

Last edited:

sukhoi-30

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, its Gurkhas if they are in the British army. I don;t think it can be rightly said of those in India or elsewhere. The Gurkha Contingent in Spore, Brunei and HK were all from the British Army.

I bet British special training and their stringent recruitment criteria play a very important factor in determining the fighting qualities of these British Gurkhas. While they were of a martial race, the training and leadership provided by the British army play a huge role in making them good soldiers too.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
They are used for close combat and holding onto vital or strategic ground positions. No other race has displayed the ability to be single minded, tenacious and ferocious and therefore are used strategically and are not considered for usually guardsmen and infantry role.

It not because they are not good in handling sophisticated equipment. In every way, they were asked to hold position along retreat lines so the main forces can withdraw.

Real Gurkhas are taken from 4 main ethnic clans within the Gurkha community (not Nepalis). It is well entrenched code. The British army runs the selection process for Singapore' Gurkhas.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are truly a blurfuck imbecile.

Those are not the Gurkhas we are talking about. They got nothing to do with Gurkha rifles regiments that you find in the British Forces, Singapore or Brunei. . .

But Indian army did deployed Gorkha 1/5 rifle in Sino-Indian war 1962 and like many Indian units, the gorkha (Indian called "Gorkha") was defeated and many ran across to Bhutan border. Also there were many who didn't make it due to extreme cold.

Having said that, I wouldn't know how good are those Indian Gorkha vs British gurkha.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not the same lot. Its like Chelsea calling it itself an English Club.

But Indian army did deployed Gorkha 1/5 rifle in Sino-Indian war 1962 and like many Indian units, the gorkha (Indian called "Gorkha") was defeated and many ran across to Bhutan border. Also there were many who didn't make it due to extreme cold.

Having said that, I wouldn't know how good are those Indian Gorkha vs British gurkha.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, its Gurkhas if they are in the British army. I don;t think it can be rightly said of those in India or elsewhere. The Gurkha Contingent in Spore, Brunei and HK were all from the British Army.

I bet British special training and their stringent recruitment criteria play a very important factor in determining the fighting qualities of these British Gurkhas. While they were of a martial race, the training and leadership provided by the British army play a huge role in making them good soldiers too.

Yes. Those who think that real Gurkhas served in Indian and Burmese armies must have surfed Wiki without reading properly and jumping into conclusion. Those referred to therein were British India and British Burma armies whilst they were colonies, to be used against native Indians and Burmese in case of mutiny. The British courted the loyalty of Gurkhas well and Gurkhas have no love lost for India and Burma, that's why they remained Nepal, not state of India or province of Burma.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. Those who think that real Gurkhas served in Indian and Burmese armies must have surfed Wiki without reading properly and jumping into conclusion. Those referred to therein were British India and British Burma armies whilst they were colonies, to be used against native Indians and Burmese in case of mutiny. The British courted the loyalty of Gurkhas well and Gurkhas have no love lost for India and Burma, that's why they remained Nepal, not state of India or province of Burma.

The British select the very best and only a handful out of few thousands were selected. Naturally gurkha youth aspire to join British army out of prestige and pay.

The rejected will go and join Indian Gorkha. It often said within the community when you join the British army, you can feed the whole clan, when you join the Indian army you can feed your family and if you join the Nepalese army, you can only feed yourself.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Those were real Gurkha rejects having nowhere else to go but had some connexions in India. Anyway, talking about that, PRC war record has been pristine. They beat off entire 2 million of worth ROC troops onto Taiwan after WW2, just stopping short because of lack of naval power against USN guarding the straits.

Then, they forced a draw in Korea against US and UN allied troops to retain North Korea as their guardhouse gateway. Then, they beat India at Kashmir border within 2 weeks to retain the Qing Dynasty border milestone as the border. Then, they also beat back Vietnam all the way to just outside Hanoi within 2 weeks.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

so the Gurkha at "旱季风暴" are what type?

sukhoi-30

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fighting requires skills and stamina. If you have none, don't take them on. The only exception is to strike first, hard and at the right place without any of their countrymen around. Then run.

I think to sneak in to attack them when they are alone and then ran away may not always work. In the Afghanistan case,the Talibans thought they can a easy kill with tjr lone Gurkha only to see half of them dead n the Gurkha still standing.

Moreover,even by non Gurkha standard,to sneak n attack them n flee might be considered unmanly n cowardy. Until today many chinese were still angry as they believe the chinese jingwu boxer was poisoned by the Japanese as he was only the chinese who was able to defeat all the Japanese opponents. They look down on such as dirty tactics just to win,which is morally unacceptable by the martial arts world

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
so the Gurkha at "旱季风暴" are what type?

I think if you scroll back, you'll find Sroobal has already the answer. There were a few warrior tribes in Nepal that united to fight off the British when the British tried to expand from India into Nepal. They fought the British to a standstill in conventional combat. The British with their advanced weaponry to call upon, could have killed them all with a dose of cold-blooded cruelty but the British were impressed, not aggravated, decided to talk and settle. Gurkhas agreed and the rest is history.

Last edited:

sukhoi-30

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fighting requires skills and stamina. If you have none, don't take them on. The only exception is to strike first, hard and at the right place without any of their countrymen around. Then run.

I think to sneak in to attack them when they are alone and then ran away may not always work. In the Afghanistan case,the Talibans thought they can a easy kill with tjr lone Gurkha only to see half of them dead n the Gurkha still standing.

Moreover,even by non Gurkha standard,to sneak n attack them n flee might be considered unmanly n cowardy. Until today many chinese were still angry as they believe the chinese jingwu boxer Huo yanjia was poisoned by the Japanese as he was only the chinese who was able to defeat all the Japanese opponents. They look down on such as dirty tactics just to win,which is morally unacceptable by the martial arts world

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
That incident in Helmand, Afghanistan was amazing. It shows that they still got it.

Moreover,even by non Gurkha standard,to sneak n attack them n flee might be considered unmanly n cowardy. Until today many chinese were still angry as they believe the chinese jingwu boxer was poisoned by the Japanese as he was only the chinese who was able to defeat all the Japanese opponents. They look down on such as dirty tactics just to win,which is morally unacceptable by the martial arts world

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's a question, something like, why Besotted or Clinton can't get away with boasting and spinning unlike Ramseth. The answer is obvious, as I take the opportunity to answer it here since I can't remember which is the exact thread. It's because I neither boast nor spin. Neither am I anonymous, many real life people here know me in real life and can rebut and refute me categorically if I boast or spin. I've trained and drank with real life Gurkhas. The rest surf Wiki.

Anyway, there's no feelong of shame or inadequacy felt even I lost every marathon or tug-of-war or hand-to-hand combat to them. They're born in a different country, brought up in a different environment and trained up for a different purpose. Let's just say, you won't want to send your son there.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think if you scroll back, you'll find Sroobal has already the answer. There were a few warrior tribes in Nepal that united to fight off the British when the British tried to expand from India into Nepal. They fought the British to a standstill in conventional combat. The British with their advanced weaponry to call upon, could have killed them all with a dose of cold-blooded cruelty but the British were impressed, not aggravated, decided to talk and settle. Gurkhas agreed and the rest is history.

i don't read every posts here. so were they the "real Gurkha" that you said earlier? the battle used the Gurkha from Nepal, not India?
what about the Bhutan Gurkha, any info?

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those were real Gurkha rejects having nowhere else to go but had some connexions in India. Anyway, talking about that, PRC war record has been pristine. They beat off entire 2 million of worth ROC troops onto Taiwan after WW2, just stopping short because of lack of naval power against USN guarding the straits.

Then, they forced a draw in Korea against US and UN allied troops to retain North Korea as their guardhouse gateway. Then, they beat India at Kashmir border within 2 weeks to retain the Qing Dynasty border milestone as the border. Then, they also beat back Vietnam all the way to just outside Hanoi within 2 weeks.

If not for the fact that British cut down the number of Gurkha unit over the years, many will still be good enough to serve the British army.

As for Korean war I take a different perspective if we were to talk about just china vs UN forces. They only entered the war when UN forces were forcing the nk to the north near Yalu river. From there they pushed UN back to south of seoul before being pushed back to 38th line. So overall it still a victory for china.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i don't read every posts here. so were they the "real Gurkha" that you said earlier? the battle used the Gurkha from Nepal, not India?
what about the Bhutan Gurkha, any info?

Wherever they're subsequently deployed, real Gurkhas mean those who passed the British tests and trainings in Nepal. Yes, the recruitment centre and training camp are still there, in Nepal, maintained by the British. Once passed, they swear oath of loyalty to the British Crown. The British can post them anywhere under British realm, alliance or warzone. Those who failed the selection process, remain in Nepal or try to find connexion in India or elsewhere if they're still interested in a military career. In other words, in short, the British Army gets the creme de la creme. You want to hire real Gurkhas, apply to the British Ministry of Defence.

The British are no weaklings themselves. Note that since declaration of the Kingdom of England in 1066, England has never been successfully invaded by foreign countries and had lost only one war outright, that's US Independence War 1776. They exacted revenge in 1812 by raiding and burning down the original presidential White House and many of Washington DC federal buildings from navy and troops based in British Canada.

A truce was called and all three sides settled after the outright defeat of Napoleon at Waterloo 1815, as France, Napoleon and before had always supported US against Britain because of the North American war that they lost the whole of Canada including French Quebec to Britain.

After that, US, Britain and France then became allies, especially notably developed was the special US-Britain relationship.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyah, common sense. Both Tonychat and Besotted are anti nationals while Ramseth is a patriot. I thought it was obvious. They also don't contribute except repeat the same thing over and over again.

Why ramseth spin story can why besotted spin story cannot? And ramseth does it many times more.*scratch head*