• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Good FOOD at Geylang - Let's share

18sign

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Good FOOD at Geylang - Let's share - YA KWANG DAI PAI DONG fusion cze char

YA KWANG DAI PAI DONG
709 Geylang Road (Lor 37)
11am to 11pm daily
Tel: 9817-0006

I not sure if u guys been to this place before or not. i recently went there for dinner with some friends after some "CCA" :biggrin:.

Anyway heres my short FR on food which i felt was gd:

ribeye teriyaki: the outside is caramelised while the inside is juicy and tender.

steamed salmon fish head: personally i tried raw and grilled salmon almost everywhere but steam its my time. Overall taste its surprising gd :biggrin: got the fishy salmon taste with a pinch of chinese favour.

Teriyaki Beef Hor Fun: Didn't try this. My friend who ordered said its taste okie. Very different from the regular beef hor Fun .

Overall the food is good. food served here is slightly different from the regular cze char.

Hope you guys enjoy my humble food FR :biggrin:

Last edited:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
'Wan Dou Sek' Dim Sum.

Located along the main road near Lor 15 & 17. Must try their King Siew Mai. Very GOOD.... :biggrin:

i think the exact address is: 126 Sims Drive.

tried the dim sum there, not bad =)

got cheaper ones at Changi Village, but the standards dropped a fair bit, so not worth mentioning...

sponge05

Alfrescian
Loyal
My 2 Fav places to eat in GL:

Turtle Soup/ Black Chicken Soup - Lor 21
Pork Rib Noodles - Coffeeshop at Lor 16

alwaysandy

My favourite is the lor 35 Scissors curry rice. the bah pah nice..i have been a good fans of that stall for many years. is the the car exit T junction of lor 35 old coffee shop. :p

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
My favourite is the lor 35 Scissors curry rice. the bah pah nice..i have been a good fans of that stall for many years. is the the car exit T junction of lor 35 old coffee shop. :p

Sorri but no offence, I find the standard has dropped. Maybe because i go during the supper mornings.

The good food index in Geyland.
Lor 37 which is the Braised Duck Rice. The sweet peanuts make the dish palatable. Though expensive compared to most stalls, the taste lingers on and you never want to try other duck rice stalls anymore. Talk about Braised Duck rice, you think of this place.

Lor 39 stretch. Beside the Rochor Beancurd stall is a stall selling Pigs Organ soup. What is the killer dish? The Braised pork. The organ soup. Good for night dwellers as this stall only opens in the nigh till morning 3am.

Moving down to the red districts, between lor 8-10, you get to see a stall selling chicken rice. Not the best around, but one of the good ones selling chicken rice. The chicken quite tender and did I mention they sell nice char siew?

Lor 9, the beef kway teow is no standard. Puizzz. Opposite is the famous frog legs, but I am not goin to mention frogs. I am going to mention oysters. They have been there for years. Why does the Oyster Omelette attracts so much fans? Their killer move is in their chilli which they fry together with the oyster omelette. This is what sets apart it from other oyster omelette stalls. Imagine you get them to fry one without chilli and it will be no different from other stalls.

That's about all at the moment till I can recall. The rest that I eaten, I find it so-so, not worth mentioning at this point

michaelrocksam

Alfrescian
Loyal
Generally, I find the food standards in GL has dropped even for the long time beef hor fun and frog legs porridge at Lor 9. The joints here are generally above average, expect for the Guan Hoe Soon Restaurant which is not exactly in Geylang.

Where to find the best food is a big questions, also depends on your palates.

Beef Hor Fun & Frog Legs Porridge

If you goes for something stronger with your palates, then the 2 stalls at Lor 9 here suit you.

芽笼瓦煲饭 Geylang Claypot Rice

639 Geylang Road., Singapore 389570. Standard has maintained, but claypot is still claypot, not a culinaire fare

Sin Huat Eating House

659/661 Geylang Road (off Lorong 35), Sin Huat Seafood Restaurant & Kin Turtle Soup, both are in the same kopi tiam.

Nonya / Peranakan

At Joo Chiat Road next to Hotel 81. Good solid Traditional straits cuisine, a solid range @ Guan Hoe Soon Restuarant. Served from afternoon to 9 pm daily.

May be BOSS should have a rating to compare esle everything is subjective.

May be like rating of 1 to 10

Spiciness
Fragance
Sweetness
Palatable
Decor of food
Ambience
Price
Por (efficacy of food for performance in GL :smile: )
RTF (return to Food , haha)
Overall rating

Everyone gets to vote, and the score will reflect the general average like in the survey. The sabo ones will get moderated and the strong biased ones (own people voting) will be lowered.

uobboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
No signboard seafood

The famous and good seafood 无招牌 is a must try for seafood lovers . The chilli/butter/white pepper crab , cereal prawns , dbl boiled lobster . chilli kang kong , garlic steam bamboo clam just to name a few . Click on their website below and you will feel hungry .

http://nosignboardseafood.com/

fenwick

Alfrescian
Loyal
seldom go there eat mostly go 150 but do know there is a duck rice store near to lor 30 plus which is very famous

Should be Lor 35 la, the same coffee shop as the bee hoon crab . The duck rice only sell in daytime and you should try the turtle soup also. Very nice !:p

Andox

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bah Chor Mee @ Guang Ming Coffee shop diagonally opposite Aljunied MRT. Tze char at this coffeeshop is good also.

Its beside Lor 23, sims ave that side.:smile:

bakaroo

Alfrescian
Loyal
GEYLANG

Geylang is synonymous with glorious food and the red light district. The lorongs ("streets" in Malay) in Geylang are numbered 1 to 42 eastward, with the red light district in the teens and great food places found all over.

SIMS AVENUE & LORONG 17 - DESSERTS AND MORE SAVOURIES

Time for something sweet after all that fiery, savoury soup. Walk down Sims Avenue in the direction of Lorong 19. At No. 158 Sims Avenue, sandwiched between Lorong 21 and Lorong 19, is Rochor Beancurd. Smooth, white curds made from soya beans are served in a bowl with syrup. It's a popular dish for breakfast and as a dessert. Eat it cold or hot. Rochor Beancurd is open from noon to midnight. Although the beancurd here is good, there's a more popular one along Geylang Road which I will come to a few paragraphs down.

Along Lorong 17 is a stall called "Famous Mian Jian Kueh" in a coffeeshop. They sell another interesting local dessert called ondeh ondeh, round balls stuffed with gula melaka ("brown sugar" in Malay). They close when they're sold out, usually at about 8.00 p.m.

Along Sims Avenue, between Lorong 17 and Lorong 15 is a very popular 24-hour dim-sum stall at No. 126. Try thevarious types of dim-sum and also the century egg congee (pronounced in Cantonese as "pei dan zok") here. Don't be afraid, the preserved egg is not really a 100 years old!

Further down Sims Avenue, you'll see a whole row of roadside fruit stalls selling King of Fruits - durians, mangosteens, and all kinds of colourful, local fruits. The fruit stalls are interesting to visit. As a local, I just can't get enough of the rich, creamy, bitter-sweet lumps, but most foreigners find the taste of durians repulsive. Sometimes I wonder if foreigners dislike durians because the ones they try are of poor quality. Only good quality durians taste good, and choosing a good quality durian is a skill which even the locals have difficulty picking up. I notice that mangosteens (sweet, white flesh) are very well-liked by foreigners though. Be careful of the purplish red stains which come off the fruit when you eat it though. It's hard to wash off if it gets on your clothes!

If you can't bring yourself to buy and try an entire spiky green 'melon', then try a durian "chee cheong fun" (a smooth, white skin made from rice flour which is usually stuffed with shrimps or chicken and eaten with soya sauce) instead at Jia Ping Porridge House. This is indeed a very unusual dessert, with durian puree stuffed in rice flour skin, then coated with a layer of peanuts. The porridge house is tucked amongst the row of fruit stalls and is located at No. 81 Sims Avenue (opposite Lorong 11). It is open till 4.00 a.m. and the porridge house also serves a whole array of delectable savouries like chee cheong fun stuffed with you char kway (crispy dough fritters), fresh raw fish, and wanton noodles.

LORONG 9 & GEYLANG ROAD

After your pit-stop at Jia Ping Porridge House, cross Sims Avenue and walk down Lorong 9. At the other end, Lorong 9 will meet Geylang Road. At that junction, there are 2 coffeeshops. The one on your left has a stall called Geylang Famous Beef Kway Teow (fried Chinese, flat, rice noodles served with tender slices of beef in black bean sauce), whilst the one of your right has a stall selling frog's leg porridge. If you intend to order something from both coffee shops, you can sit on either side of the road. The hawkers will cross the road to serve you the food. Just let them know where you're seated.

After you've had your fill, walk down Geylang Road in the direction of Lorong 11. Wedged between Lorong 9 and Lorong 11 is a coffeeshop called Yong He Eating House. This 24-hour coffeeshop too serves soya beancurd, and it is definitely more popular than Rochor Beancurd. Order yourself a bowl of soya beancurd in sweet syrup and some you char kway (crispy dough fritters) to go along.

RED LIGHT DISTRICT

Work off that bloat by taking a tour of the red light district. Cross Geylang Road and you'll find that the red light district is the entire area which starts from about Lorong 8 and ends at about Lorong 24.

The red light district is nothing like that in Amsterdam, where the girls sit behind glass windows at street level in plain view of all pedestrians. Here, the girls are housed in brothels, which are terrace houses with large numbers and sometimes with red lanterns hanging outside. Unless you walk into one of the brothels, you're likely to see only hundreds of men lurking around waiting for something. There may be a few girls walking back to the brothels after being dropped off by their clients though, and I did see quite a few Indian and Thai prostitutes along Lorong 15.

GEYLANG ROAD - BLACK PEPPER CRAB

After your walking tour of the red light district, it should be time for supper. At 414 Geylang Road, close to Lorong 24, is the famous No Signboard Seafood Restaurant. The restaurant is open from 3.00 p.m. to 2.00 a.m., and they're well-known for their black pepper crab. The restaurant is next to Lai Ming Hotel.

Aljunied MRT Station is just down Lorong 25, across Sims Avenue and then up Aljunied Road. If you cannot get to the MRT Station by 11.30 p.m., you will have to catch a cab back instead.

Go ahead and try the "Good food at Geylang". Yummy :smile:
This post is extracted from InnCrowd http://www.the-inncrowd.com/geylang.htm

Last edited:

boobiieee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmmmm...... they say the way to a man's heart is throught his stomach. And that is what every girl wanna do. Well, there is another way to a man's heart, great sex ! And the one place to combine that two in a heaty mix of jutaxopose is our resident red-light district - Geylang :p

I'm not a man with a big fat wallet so this will be an everyman's guide to food from Geylang from the time I wake up till the time I sleep.

9am - Yawnz... wake up, brush teeth and head to down to Geylang Lor 20 for breakfast. Yup it's the economic bee-hoon store. Those who know which store will know this store serves a BIG heaping of bee-hoon. Add in my favourite crispy chicken wing, fried egg, ngok hiang and curry veggies, and sorry to me it's a Breakfast for Kings. It's not the best economic beehoon but it's damn fulling :biggrin: Add ice-milo from the drinks stall for fun.

12.30pm After 3 hours of neck-breaking websurfing, my stomach is growling and it's time for lunch. And what can be better than Bak Ku Teh ! used to be at lor 13 and now at lorong21A. I used to eat this hearty broth at its previous location before it shifted to geylang. Of course it was cheaper then, but nothing beats the peppery soup and the tons of mixed meat. Prefer that to the just spare ribs version. Wolfed it down and the you-tiao too. Lucky it's starting of raining season in singapore or else I'll be sweating like crazy.

3.00pm After a tiring fight with my favourite cat 150 darling. My stomach is rumbling and my throat is dry. (too much frenching... ha ha) Time for some good old Soya Bean Drinks and some more you tiaos. This time I head to Sims Drive a street behind the main geylang road. Opposite lor 17 on the main road is a Soya Bean stall (forgot its name but it has a few branches) that sells the best soya milk. Dump crispy you tiao and it quenches my thirst and settle my hungers.

7.00pm Need to take a late dinner as after the soya milk I was itching and went for a thai style massage. Well had a "extra" and now my body need some extra boost as well.... heheheh. Head to Lor 23 for some roast meat and char siew. The char siew and roast meat rice here quite okay and the portions are good. Here also a good place to unwind and look at all those uncles sitting with PRC ladies in their 20s and 30s. Alfresco dining is best here as I sat at the tables opposite the coffeeshop by the roadside. as I finished

9.30pm Ok, I admit I was tempted again and took one of those PRC streetwalkers for a 2 hr spin at our best hotel - Hotel 81 ! And now she's getting a bit clingly (probably due to my $50 tip) and wants supper. Well, I head over to Lor 27. Here is a stall that sells Hokkien Mee and the special thing is that these delicious noodles are cooked over a charcoal wok. The thick yellow noodles come with a nice "char-grilled" taste to it. Looks like my companion likes it too. :biggrin:

Well, this ends my day at Geylang. Good Food and Good Sex. What more can a guy ask for :p Hope bros like the places I recommend.

breakingfree

Alfrescian
Loyal
GEYLANG

after you've had your fill, walk down Geylang Road in the direction of Lorong 11. Wedged between Lorong 9 and Lorong 11 is a coffeeshop called Yong He Eating House. This 24-hour coffeeshop too serves soya beancurd, and it is definitely more popular than Rochor Beancurd. Order yourself a bowl of soya beancurd in sweet syrup and some you char kway (crispy dough fritters) to go along.

Go ahead and try the "Good food at Geylang". Yummy

Yo bro, think u better chk on the info before posting.. Yong he eating hse shifted like few mths ago.

raul1333

Just outside Lor 20 along the main road there's a Fish steam boat joint that opens about 5.30pm.Try the Teochew fish porridge(Batang or White promfet
slices) and order a plate of their Oyster Eggs-there's no flour in this dish only eggs and large oysters):smile:

oldman

Alfrescian
Loyal
REDLIGHT DISTRICT-Maybe what was written are situation few years back.Presently thousands of foreign women(Prc,indo,Bangla,thai,ah qua,etc)are doing open soliciting along the roadside.Between Lor 6-20,it is stationary and the rest of the Lorong mobile soliciting.

Sunday, it is like foreign workers heaven.It is also a place for illicit cigarrette,drugs,Dvds,etc.

Food-There are Lor 17(sek wai sin),Lor 39(Sin huat but ex and bad service) and many PRC outlet with own style and theme(Mao sichuan,Peking duck,chinese satay,duck neck,buffet steamboat,Shanghai,dumpling,etc)

Geylang road ends tanjong katong road or Joo chiat road.

thisrocksmysock

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahah if price wasn't the issue, I would recommend everyone to try sin huat.. this place is famous, not only for the exorbitant prices, great food, having a food nazi as an owner... but it's also loved by Anthony Bourdain. For those who don't know who this is, it's a pretty famous food critic. Anyhow, this place is located at Lor 35, the same hawker area as the famous braised duck rice.

Sin huat is basically a seafood restaurant. Must tries there are the crab beehoon, scallops, the gong-gong (the dip for it is so damn awesome) and the frog legs with chicken essence! just a note, the owner personally takes your orders and if you order from another stall, he won't do business with you!! But yeah this won't be a place for a supper after some drinks / durian in geylang.. a meal of the above mentioned can go up to $400..

For our tight budgetted ppl, me included, i personally feel that the frog legs (mentioned above) at lor 9 is pretty damn good. I would recommend the claypot with dried chilli, to me the frog leg porridge is kinda tasteless(personal opinion!!). across the road, there's the famous beef hor fan. seriously one of the best ever. When i first went there it was like a hole in the wall, just a door to the kitchen where a lady takes orders.. NOWWW wahh, very different. it's a proper tze char place already, the har chong kai (prawn paste chicken) is not bad really.

Further down from Lor9, the tau huay stall is perfect to wash down all the food consumed.. Served warm or cold, i prefer mine cold with a you tiao.. what a way to end the night hahaha..

I hope this is of some help!!
:cool: :smile: :biggrin: :p :smile: :wink:

wudi

Alfrescian
Loyal
lor 15 nasi lemak is pretty good. long queue always but its not cheap. the coffeeshop only have two stalls in it, this nasi lemak stall and the drinks stall. its near to the exit of lor 15, considering if you drive and turn into lor 15 after passing Amrise Hotel.

this nasi lemak offers black pepper chicken wings/drumsticks. pretty tasty apart from the normal deep fried chicken wings.