• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Employing PRCs: Mark Lee defends himself

sam heng

Alfrescian
Loyal
If that 'scareface' lee had learnt from the businessmen of old, he makes money, nobody will ever know.

Being a 'teochew hao lian'...now everybody will watch, and when his business fails, let us see if he needs a cash counting machine to pay his PRC's staff....no money to pay them, they will protest outsides all his stores..and "STAFF" him...

Really, a big 'teochew, hao lian"...

Confirmed He is a haolian asshole. He's from the same NS unit as me.I met him many year ago - ask him "hey lee you from 3rd signal right? He tell me he cannot remember what NS unit he was from. What kind of idiot doesn't remember what unit you were?

KKC007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let's do some simple math. Let's assume wages make up 25% of a F&B outlet's gross sales. Perhaps Besotted can give a better estimate.

So, $800 service job is shunned most Singaporeans. Most say increase wages. How much would be reasonable amount?

$1200?
The labour cost will increase by 12.5% (with respect to gross sales).

$1600?
The labour cost will increase by 25% (with respect to gross sales).

Are Singaporeans ready to pay 12.5% or 25% more for their food?

I am not condoning Mark Lee's actions. However, it is a fact that prices at F&B outlets will increase without these "FT"s. Are Singaporeans ready to pay more?

iamtalkinglah

Alfrescian
Loyal
All of you don't get it. :(
It's just quite ironic that a person who filmed "Money No Enough" to explain the Plight of Singaporeans, could how lian that he needs to buy a cash register as he is distributing bonuses and hiring all Foreigners and not Singaporeans. He also how lian that he have 5 stalls and looking to expand to 10-20 stalls (can't remember the exact figure), 3-4 new stall a year.

He is making MAXIMUM PROFIT otherwise he can't have this ambitious expansion plan. So the question now is, why he is not able to employ Singaporeans as a service to his nation? It is not as if he is not making money.

Mark Lee's situation though people may think is a small thing, it actually reflects the situations facing Singaporeans now. Employers are too greedy.

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Clap! clap! true!..buit the Japanese constituents not onlly do their bit, they make sure that the incumbent they vote for do their bit... and vote for a change, when their 'bit' is not fufilled...here, it is s different story..it is like comparing sushi with MEE SIAM mai hum!:rolleyes:

There is great political activism in Japan. Discussions of this nature face-to-face are rife and they have the mindset that their government is not the best and they don't trust them and all that.

Of course they are more reserved about their Emperor though, though by just a bit.

Last edited:

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wait a min. Can someone help to explain this to me. I can't really remember the days when locals were all over F&B jobs in Singapore. As far as I can remember, F&B usually hires Malaysians or part timers. After the floodgates were open, they change from Malaysians to Ah Tiongs + part timers. OK, maybe it's in the 70s, when I wasn't even born yet

The new immigration policy probably made the locals much more sensitized to the slightest note of such things. Whether their feelings make real sense as regards to this industry is another matter.

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
he can reduce his staff, by turning it to self service, and if he paid above market rate, then sinkies will come and work for him.

Reduce his staff? Turn it to self-service? And pay, above the market rate? Do these make business sense in the food and beverages industry? Are you off your rocker?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Let's do some simple math. Let's assume wages make up 25% of a F&B outlet's gross sales. Perhaps Besotted can give a better estimate.

So, $800 service job is shunned most Singaporeans. Most say increase wages. How much would be reasonable amount?

$1200?

$1600?

I am not condoning Mark Lee's actions. However, it is a fact that prices at F&B outlets will increase without these "FT"s. Are Singaporeans ready to pay more?

It is the economy of scale plus social responsibility, we pay less for them to earn more, & vice versa.

We are not talking about cost, and so forth, who deoesn't know all theses, even the sundry shop of old, the uneducated shop owner knows this.

We do not look afte rour own people, but we look after the people of the PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC of CHINA, helping their people find work, & improving theri economy, whereas our own people SUFFER!.

That is charity? I guess....:eek:

boring

Alfrescian
Loyal
aiya please don't waste time talk about math calculation la, let BOYYSCOT hole hole face aka mark lee's coffeeshop la, tis kind of 反骨仔behaviour must teach him a lesson, tis jiby jia and his master jackass neo success by reflected the peasant voice through their movie, now they can made it and they start to pro pap in their sub standard movie, fuck them la, time to give them a lesson, :oIo:

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
We do not look afte rour own people, but we look after the people of the PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC of CHINA, helping their people find work, & improving theri economy, whereas our own people SUFFER!.

That is charity? I guess....:eek:

What charity? The PRC worker earning $800 and working 14 hours is helping me make money. The local worker demanding $1600 and wanting to work only 8 hours with MC at every opportunity will make me lose money. Who do I hire? Why should I hire to lose money?

And as a consumer, I don't want to pay 30% more on my food bill, thank you.

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
We're not talking about minimum wages here. Try asking a secretary who's being paid >$3k a month to work overtime WITH overtime pay (1.5x) and see the black face.

from the secretary's point of view, its not worth it to bust her ass off for an extra $200-300 OT pay. the deal her boss is working on will reap probably $100Ks for the firm and himself, while she gets a measly couple of 100s.

she feels exploited. the $100s will not change her life much and she'll have to sacrifice her leisure time in order to deal with more crap.

and don't tell me the firm isn't exploiting her and all the other admin/support staff when the partners and shareholders reap millions in profits while staff get their paltry compensation.

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal

$1200?

$1600?

its not so much if S'poreans are willing to pay more, but rather can business force customers to pay more.

businesses can try charging 12-25% more, but just watch the customers evaporate.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
its not so much if S'poreans are willing to pay more, but rather can business force customers to pay more.

businesses can try charging 12-25% more, but just watch the customers evaporate.

But nodody is 'hitting the nail on the head', why blame the emplyer, the business people, the workers...it is the source of this, the government; whose multiplication of greed had escalated the costs.

To deflect you from seeing a clearer picture, they get this haolian scarefare lee, to give publicity to the fact that the SINkingporeans workers are to be blamed, for they are the lowest denomitor in society. What can they do, to defend themselves?, and get daily blasted left & right into a corner, and soo; in their own country; they will have no more corners to stand on. Maybe to die in the dul de sac!:rolleyes:

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
from the secretary's point of view, its not worth it to bust her ass off for an extra $200-300 OT pay. the deal her boss is working on will reap probably $100Ks for the firm and himself, while she gets a measly couple of 100s.

she feels exploited. the $100s will not change her life much and she'll have to sacrifice her leisure time in order to deal with more crap.

and don't tell me the firm isn't exploiting her and all the other admin/support staff when the partners and shareholders reap millions in profits while staff get their paltry compensation.

That's the problem. They think that way and you encourage her. FTs do not work that way. And you actually WONDER why employers prefer FTs?

iamtalkinglah

Alfrescian
Loyal
What charity? The PRC worker earning $800 and working 14 hours is helping me make money. The local worker demanding $1600 and wanting to work only 8 hours with MC at every opportunity will make me lose money. Who do I hire? Why should I hire to lose money?

Why are other countries removing these FTs from their country other than Sg?

YOU ARE NOT BEING A FAIR EMPLOYER! YOU EXPLOIT STAFFS. EVERYONE CANNOT WORK FOR MORE THAN 44HOURS A WEEK!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You plant the trees with the soil of the earth, and reap its fruits..now you are saying that, it not 'good earth' anymore?

WHat Charity!..charity begins at home!:wink:

oversam

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will you take a 5K job that is 9 to 5 and lets you surf sammyboy all day long or 2.5K but work 12 hours a day shift?

If employees have brains to choose the better deal, so can employers. Don't blame Mark for it.

It's funny Sporeans will always go for the better deal, but then choose to overpay for under performing government.

KKC007

Alfrescian
Loyal

Businesses do not have a choice but to charge more. We are talking about ALL businesses that uses (perhaps depending on) these cheap foreign labor.

KKC007

Alfrescian
Loyal
But nodody is 'hitting the nail on the head', why blame the emplyer, the business people, the workers...it is the source of this, the government; whose multiplication of greed had escalated the costs.

This I agree.

Instead of mass importing cheap labor to keep labor costs down, the government should have let the market forces work.

The businesses simply have to pay more to get their staff. Costs of everything will go up accordingly. This way, the increase will be in-line with people's income.