• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Do not understand why SDP is blame for contesting BE

alantan27

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do not understand why so many forumer is pointing finger at SDP for splitting opposition votes, creating havoc for announcing that they want to stand in Punggol East BE. Some of the fourmer comment here is really unfair to SDP.

I feel that WP should give way to SDP if the latter have a much better candidates.

SDP currently have a few very good candidates which are of very good calibre like Paul Tambyah, Vincent W and Ang Yong Guan.

Any of the three is one class above WP candidate Lee Li Lian which contest GE 2011 at Punggol East.

Although I agree that WP brand name alone is enough to get an extra 5% of the votes, I feel that they should give way if they cant provide a candidate with calibre of the above 3.

It was arrogant of WP for rejecting any talk with SDP and another reason why SDP should contest is WP performance so far is not up to expectation.

LTK is what he is today because he is lucky not because he is good. He won hougang in 1991 because he went to the right place to contest. In 1988 , Tan Guan Seng of PAP beat Lim Chiew Liang of WP, who is not even have an O level by about 3000votes. It was not suprise for LTK who is a NUS grad to win in Hougang against the same candidate. He will not be what he is today if he didnt go Hougang.

Those who think LTK is a good opposition, look at his latest interview with the press last night. How many time he repeat the sentence ' I do not wish to speculate '
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuXFvZl-F3U
it was a very poor interview. This show he will conduct himself if he is unprepared. He is able to speak well in rally or parlliement because all the speech was written beforehand.

Last edited:

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I for one am not blaming SDP for contesting this BE. In fact I hope to see a multi-corner fight in this BE. It is time we allow evolution and natural selection to take place, and find out who the strongest opposition party is. I think there are many forumers who think the same way I do.

I however think it is classless for SDP to post those emails on their website. That I'd blame them for.

kongsimi

Alfrescian
Loyal
if you know you are not going to win?

why put your head into it?

and take away the only chances of the winning opposition party?

alantan27

Alfrescian
Loyal
if you know you are not going to win?

why put your head into it?

and take away the only chances of the winning opposition party?

the problem is if wp send a candidate like LLL,can she spoke for people in parliment?might as well vote pap

alantan27

Alfrescian
Loyal
the problem is if wp send a candidate like LLL,can she spoke for people in parliment?might as well vote pap

from the way LTK talk in yesterday interview, it seem like WP will not have surprise candidate.
U see after winning 6 seats 20 months ago, they still cant recurit new candidate with calibre
this is a failure

billisnotathome

Alfrescian
Loyal
from the way LTK talk in yesterday interview, it seem like WP will not have surprise candidate.
U see after winning 6 seats 20 months ago, they still cant recurit new candidate with calibre
this is a failure

Didn't they fucking recruit Michelle from SDP?

alantan27

Alfrescian
Loyal
Didn't they fucking recruit Michelle from SDP?

michelle will not be a surprise candidate
i mean can the produce a doctor or senior consel that can match Paul Tambyah, Vincent W or Ang Yong Guan.
if they have such quality candidate
than i will galdly support wp contest and urged SDP to pull out

billisnotathome

Alfrescian
Loyal
michelle will not be a surprise candidate
i mean can the produce a doctor or senior consel that can match Paul Tambyah, Vincent W or Ang Yong Guan.
if they have such quality candidate
than i will galdly support wp contest and urged SDP to pull out

Even if they did SDP still wouldn't pull out so what's your point really?

alantan27

Alfrescian
Loyal
SDP however must be careful of what happen to NSP in 1992 Marine Parade By election
SDP led by chaim see tong in 1992 was a dominant force in parliement. the NSP lead by Tan Chee Kien who lost narrowly in 1984 GE and offer an NCMP seat decided to contest. They field a team of 4 candidate wihich re comparable to the SDP team. They expected they can match SDP in term of vote gain
In the end, NSP got only ant 970 votes and lost deposit

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SDP currently have a few very good candidates which are of very good calibre like Paul Tambyah, Vincent W and Ang Yong Guan.

Any of the three is one class above WP candidate Lee Li Lian which contest GE 2011 at Punggol East.

And on what basis is this conclusion made? Because the 3 are doctors?

LLL is in the banking and finance sector. In this industry, PhDs are hardly heard of. Even Wee Cho Yaw and his sons do not have PhD.

VW is a PhD, but it is social policy and not accounting or engineering. That is an academic subject not a professional field. PT and AYG are medical doctors, you need a Bachelors, not PhD. I am not saying it is easy to study medicine, but finance is also not an easy subject.

They are all different industries. Simply saying one is good and another is bad won't cut any ice.

alantan27

Alfrescian
Loyal
And on what basis is this conclusion made? Because the 3 are doctors?

LLL is in the banking and finance sector. In this industry, PhDs are hardly heard of. Even Wee Cho Yaw and his sons do not have PhD.

VW is a PhD, but it is social policy and not accounting or engineering. That is an academic subject not a professional field. PT and AYG are medical doctors, you need a Bachelors, not PhD. I am not saying it is easy to study medicine, but finance is also not an easy subject.

They are all different industries. Simply saying one is good and another is bad won't cut any ice.

U go youtube and watch Video of LLL at past rally
you will know what i mean and u play VW rally and compare

Last edited:

alantan27

Alfrescian
Loyal
More meaningful to compare their election percentages at the last GE l think.

LLL contest at PE which have more opp supporter
VW contest in holland BT which Vivian is very popular
I do agree that WP brand name alone will gather an extra 5% at least
But if SDP have a much better candidate that can cover this 5%, WP should give way

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
U go youtube and watch Video of LLL at past rally
you will know what i mean and u play VW rally and compare

Don't be lazy. LLL definitely speaks better than AYG. As for VW, it's not a world of difference between them. If VW is slightly better than LLL, I also need to consider which party can provide better grassroots support when the candidate gets elected.

If LLL was N Levels and spoke like the parrotman, then it is a different story. I don't care if it's WP, they can sink for fielding such a candidate.

alantan27

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't be lazy. LLL definitely speaks better than AYG. As for VW, it's not a world of difference between them. If VW is slightly better than LLL, I also need to consider which party can provide better grassroots support when the candidate gets elected.

If LLL was N Levels and spoke like the parrotman, then it is a different story. I don't care if it's WP, they can sink for fielding such a candidate.

LLL spoke like an ah lian
is she is elected, she will be Lina Chiam the second

billisnotathome

Alfrescian
Loyal
LLL contest at PE which have more opp supporter
VW contest in holland BT which Vivian is very popular
I do agree that WP brand name alone will gather an extra 5% at least
But if SDP have a much better candidate that can cover this 5%, WP should give way

Even if WP fielded fucking Obama SDP have already said they won't pull out. So again, what's your point?