• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Do not understand why SDP is blame for contesting BE

@rmadill0

Alfrescian
Loyal
from the way LTK talk in yesterday interview, it seem like WP will not have surprise candidate.
U see after winning 6 seats 20 months ago, they still cant recurit new candidate with calibre
this is a failure

Are you for real? Why must there be a surprise candidate? What is the role of the MP? Will someone who has been working on the ground for years make a better representative for the people in the constituency or one with a better credential but only joins the party moons ago?

alantan27

Alfrescian
Loyal
alantan27
user-offline.png
Alfrescian

<dl class="userstats"><dt>Join Date</dt><dd>Aug 2008</dd><dt>Posts</dt><dd>323</dd></dl> <fieldset class="repfieldset"> <legend>My Reputation</legend> Points: 54 / Power: 6
reputation_pos.png
</fieldset>

[h=2]
icon1.png
Re: James Gomez join SDP[/h]
he is stupid to join sdp
i advised him many time not to do so

SDP has changed
they are not the SDP of the past

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Quality of candidate is not defined by their academic prowess, or even corporate capability. The most important quality of politician is to have a heart for the common people. The technical aspect of governing is largely handled by well qualified civil servants, while the politicians moderate public policies to the benefit of their constituents.

So many people have said this many times that I feel that it is important to repudiate this once and for all. Whoever is voted into parliament must take a stand on national issues, must have an active hand in formulating policy. Cannot leave everything to the technical experts. Must know some technical details.

The cabinet will be formed by people in parliament. If the WP wins enough seats to form a government, LKT WILL BE THE PRIME MINISTER OF SINGAPORE. Sylvia Lim, Pritam Singh, Chen Show Mao, Png Eng Huat will be cabinet ministers. This is not a scare tactic. This is the constitution of Singapore. At that point, it is not only important to have the welfare of the people at heart. You absolutely absolutely have to know what you are doing.

mei mei

Alfrescian
Loyal
And on what basis is this conclusion made? Because the 3 are doctors?

LLL is in the banking and finance sector. In this industry, PhDs are hardly heard of. Even Wee Cho Yaw and his sons do not have PhD.

VW is a PhD, but it is social policy and not accounting or engineering. That is an academic subject not a professional field. PT and AYG are medical doctors, you need a Bachelors, not PhD. I am not saying it is easy to study medicine, but finance is also not an easy subject.

They are all different industries. Simply saying one is good and another is bad won't cut any ice.

LLL is only a trainer with Great Eastern. That is nothing to compare to the qualifications of PT, VW or AYG.

Your standards are pretty low.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is relatively easier to find PhDs in that profession if it is academic qualification you are going after. And it seems that PAP believes in academic qualifications and so does SDP.

Medical doctors and PhDs are very different from each other. The only thing they have in common is the name doctor.

Bill Clinton was a Rhodes Scholar. Barack Obama is not only a PhD, he is also a law professor.

It is true that academic qualifications are not enough to be a good cabinet minister. But the question is not whether academic qualifications or having a heart to care for your people are good enough. At that level, you need both. That is why Zenawi of Ethiopia and SBY of Indonesia went for further studies after they became politicians. When you are at that level, you need to understand politics and economics.

I would even say that academic qualifications wise, the current Singapore cabinet is under-qualified.

Lee Hsien Loong - degree was in mathematics. Only a masters in public administration. General in the army. Does that tell you anything about how a government works? Should have been a lawyer like his dad.
Teo Chee Hean - background in engineering. Former admiral. Not necessarily qualified to lead a government.
Tharman - background in economics and public admin. Good enough qualifications. Not surprisingly, probably knows what he's doing.
Shanmugam - background in law. Good enough qualifications. Although the examples of Tey Hsun Hang and Bill Clinton teach us that a law degree does not teach you how to keep your dick in your pants.
Ng Eng Hen - medical doctor. What the fuck is a medical doctor doing running my education ministry?
Lim Hng Kiang - background in engineering. Also has the EQ of an engineer.
Khaw Boon Wan - another engineer, but less bad EQ than Lim Hng Kiang
Gan Kim Yong - why so many fucking engineers in the cabinet?
Vivian Balakrishnan - why the fuck is a medical doctor running the Youth Olympic games?
Heng Swee Keat - Economics and public Admin, also ran MAS before. Good enough, but Education is a strange portfolio
Yaacob Ibrahim - another engineer
Lui Tuck Yew - Chemistry. Public Admin. Military. YAwn.
Lim Swee Say - Engineering
Iswaran - Economics and Public Admin
Chan Chun Sing - Economics and military. Maybe that's why he actually knows something.
Grace Fu - Accountancy. EQ of an accountant.

Engineering is not totally a bad degree, but the bias is towards making Singapore very corporatist. Glaring admissions from the cabinet: none of them were former businessmen. No degrees in political science, although public admin tells you something. Medical doctors - pretty irrelevant, although 1 or 2 in the cabinet is OK. Not enough lawyers. All have degrees from UK / USA / Australia. Maybe not enough diversity. No professors from academia. Nobody from the media (that's why they're so clueless politically) Way too many engineers.

Over the years they've hoodwinked you into thinking that good academic qualifications are good enough. What field those academic qualifications are in is equally important. Then you have people with good degrees but irrelevant ones. Vincent Wijeysingha is a PhD in sociology, which could tell you why he's an expert in migrant workers. Note that Chee Soon Juan's degree is in neurology, and that could tell you why he has the EQ of a scientist.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LLL is only a trainer with Great Eastern. That is nothing to compare to the qualifications of PT, VW or AYG.

"Only" a trainer? I will like to see you apply for the job. Even insurance agents don't necessarily qualify.

GE isn't a small co and at that level, a trainer is akin to a lecturer. That's the post CSJ once had, isn't it.

She is likely to make more money than VW who heads a NGO advocating for foreign maids.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Singapore cabinet seems to have the mentality that once you have a good enough degree, you can do anything. There is a very strange mismatch between talent and portfolio.

Gan Kim Yong, former CEO, is minister of health. There are two former doctors in the cabinet and neither of them have come close to touching the health ministry.
Vivian Balakrishnan, former medical doctor, is minister of sewage.
Yaacob Ibrahim, who is actually an engineer, is minister of information (although to be fair he used to be minister of sewage)
Heng Swee Keat, who knows how to run an economy, is minister of educating kids.

The problem with their system is that you have a few guys that you trust. Nobody else gets into the system or out of it. The post GE 2011 purge was a rare event, and the dead wood that got cleared out had been rotting there for too long. The youth minister becomes the environment minister. The environment minister becomes the information minister. The information minister becomes the transport minister. Everybody is incestuous for too long, and this incest is like the biological form of incest because it produces retarded people.

The system of attracting top talent with high wages only works when you are willing to bring in the new talent and kick the old talent out. Otherwise it is just another feudal system.

mei mei

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Only" a trainer? I will like to see you apply for the job. Even insurance agents don't necessarily qualify.

GE isn't a small co and at that level, a trainer is akin to a lecturer. That's the post CSJ once had, isn't it.

You only need a basic bachelor's degree to be a trainer at Great Eastern. If you think highly of that job, I'm guessing you must be having a lower class job than that of trainer.

Besides, it is not that LLL has a first class honours bachelor degree from some top ranking university.

You cannot be a lecturer at NUS with just a bachelor's degree. Nothing to compare with CSJ who has a Phd.

ahkow

Alfrescian
Loyal
You only need a basic bachelor's degree to be a trainer at Great Eastern. If you think highly of that job, I'm guessing you must be having a lower class job than that of trainer.

Besides, it is not that LLL has a first class honours bachelor degree from some top ranking university.

You cannot be a lecturer at NUS with just a bachelor's degree. Nothing to compare with CSJ who has a Phd.

I hate to talk about academic qualifications because I think they distort what you see in the person, especially in politics. But since there are people so insistent, well I tell you. People like CSJ and VW are basically those did not do well in school in their "O" and "A" levels. It just that they come from relatively well off families that can afford them to study in third rate uni for a long time to get a PHD in some soft disciplines.AYG is probably much better, at least he did well enough in RI to get into medical school in NUS. Finally, if you can get a PHD in theoretical physics from Harvard, I will definitely say you are very smart, I am still not sure you will be a good politician.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

A basic bachelor degree is not enough to be a good candidate? Why did SDP field those candidates in 2011? (I mention SDP because I deduce you are in favour of them) One third didn't even have degrees.

What is so impressive about a social activist compared to a corporate trainer?

Not many in the banking and finance sector have a phD. Have we heard of a phD in IT or computer programming?

I won't waste my time on people who can blatantly insist on arguing without blinking that that the moon is brighter than the sun.

mei mei

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hate to talk about academic qualifications because I think they distort what you see in the person, especially in politics. But since there are people so insistent, well I tell you/

Well or not, at the end of the day, they worked hard enough to earn a Phd. That is what that matters.

It is just like at the end of the day, WP has 8 members in parliament, that speaks for the so call brand that they claimed.

Now back to educational qualifications, if you see CSJ's Phd no up, CSJ at the very least was previously teaching undergraduates at NUS. That speaks something for CSJ's qualifications, if not, NUS must be as crappy as LLL's Aussie second tier degree.

mei mei

Alfrescian
Loyal
A basic bachelor degree is not enough to be a good candidate?

Not many in the banking and finance sector have a phD. Have we heard of a phD in IT or computer programming?

Ha! Nobody said a basic bachelor degree is not enough to be a good candidate. For that matter, you don't need an education to be a good candidate.

You never heard of "phD in IT or computer programming"? Where have you been hiding?

ahkow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well or not, at the end of the day, they worked hard enough to earn a Phd. That is what that matters.

It is just like at the end of the day, WP has 8 members in parliament, that speaks for the so call brand that they claimed.

Now back to educational qualifications, if you see CSJ's Phd no up, CSJ at the very least was previously teaching undergraduates at NUS. That speaks something for CSJ's qualifications, if not, NUS must be as crappy as LLL's Aussie second tier degree.

I think you still did not remember Vasoo, the guy who hired CSJ in NUS said about him.Vasoo said initially he did not want to hire CSJ because his "O" and "A" level are not so good and his PHD is from uni of Georgia, which is definitely third rate. He took pity on him since he spent so long studying and just wanted to give an average student like CSJ a chance.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hate to talk about academic qualifications because I think they distort what you see in the person, especially in politics. But since there are people so insistent, well I tell you. People like CSJ and VW are basically those did not do well in school in their "O" and "A" levels. It just that they come from relatively well off families that can afford them to study in third rate uni for a long time to get a PHD in some soft disciplines.AYG is probably much better, at least he did well enough in RI to get into medical school in NUS. Finally, if you can get a PHD in theoretical physics from Harvard, I will definitely say you are very smart, I am still not sure you will be a good politician.

Guys, guys, guys... If a person gets a PhD, even if it's a "second rate" university like University of Georgia or Sheffield University, it is a real PhD. Not an "honorary" PhD, not a PhD that is bought with money. It was enough to get Chee Soon Juan a job lecturing in NUS - nothing to sniff at. Neurology is not a "soft subject". VW's PhD is in social work, which some people may look down on but you cannot deny that he is an expert at what he does. You don't pay money to earn a PhD - I hope you're aware of that. Most PhD students are on scholarships. A real PhD from a real university trumps having good grades at "O"s or "A"s - "O"s and "A"s teach you nothing about real life.

A PhD does teach you to speak well unless you are a PRC who got his PhD from NUS. VW is a better public speaker than 90% of parliament. CSJ is not that bad. But his PhD does not qualify him to run government. He is a decent activist.

A nobel prize winner was told by his "A" level teacher not to be a scientist and that report card was framed and hung up on his wall. Only in Singapore do we take so seriously what people do in grade school.

VW is well qualified. AYG (is he even in SDP now?) may not have relevant experience - but as an army doctor he can advice on health policy. Same with Paul Thambyah. CSJ was a scientist until he got kicked out of NUS.

When you assess academic qualifications, more important than whether it was a good school is whether that qualification is relevant to the job. Honestly, what does a first class honours from Cambridge in MATHEMATICS has to do with running a country, I don't really know.

So - the skill sets of Li Li Lian. She has a bachelor's degree. That is so common that I would say it is the baseline requirement for somebody to go to parliament, unless you have dropped out of uni to do something brilliant like Mark Zuckerberg or Bill Gates. Trainer means you are good at public speaking.

Finance background means you know something about finance. If you are saying that finance means you make a lot of money and that makes you a great MP I don't see people saying that about the high flying civil servants who enter the PAP and parliament every few years, I don't see people saying that about Kenneth J.

It seems that Li Li Lian's qualifications are good enough but not outstanding. And of course we don't judge them by the academic qualifications alone.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
So many people have said this many times that I feel that it is important to repudiate this once and for all. Whoever is voted into parliament must take a stand on national issues, must have an active hand in formulating policy. Cannot leave everything to the technical experts. Must know some technical details.

The cabinet will be formed by people in parliament. If the WP wins enough seats to form a government, LKT WILL BE THE PRIME MINISTER OF SINGAPORE. Sylvia Lim, Pritam Singh, Chen Show Mao, Png Eng Huat will be cabinet ministers. This is not a scare tactic. This is the constitution of Singapore. At that point, it is not only important to have the welfare of the people at heart. You absolutely absolutely have to know what you are doing.
How does a doctor knows anything about flood control?
Another doctor on military defence?
A navy admiral on land transport?
An army general on social services?
Another army general on foreign manpower management?
A mathematician on being a PM?

I am not saying politicians can be dimwit forest gump type. What I am only saying is that you cannot say a candidate is better because he score more As in exams, or make more money, or born into wealthy family.

Technical issues can be learned, and I do believe that Anyone with tertiary education (about half the population) is more than capable to understand any public policy issues if given the right civil servants to guide them through the issues. Afterall, Singapore public policy is not even near rocket science or nuclear technology.

Singaporeans should be past the age of blindly voting for a candidate just because he/she has PhD, nice title, or lives in a big house. And I don't just mean the PAP candidates.

What is important is if the person has integrity and be willing to find ways to adjust public policies that benefit the constituents.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think you still did not remember Vasoo, the guy who hired CSJ in NUS said about him.Vasoo said initially he did not want to hire CSJ because his "O" and "A" level are not so good and his PHD is from uni of Georgia, which is definitely third rate. He took pity on him since he spent so long studying and just wanted to give an average student like CSJ a chance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Georgia

See for yourself, a pretty decent university, also the university which produced REM. Probably less great than NUS. Has a weak claim to be a "public Ivy". An up and coming school. And in neuropsychology. Say it to yourself with a straight face: "neuropsychology is a soft subject". Vasoo was the guy who did the hatchet job on CSJ and nobody other than a PAP IB would believe what he says about CSJ.

University of Sheffield where VW was from is one of the top 10 in the UK. Except you'd probably say that the UK is not the US.