• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Do not understand why SDP is blame for contesting BE

mei mei

Alfrescian
Loyal
You're contradicting yourself, sir.

No, you are the one who is contradicting.

Nobody said a basic bachelor degree is not enough to be a good candidate. For that matter, you don't need an education to be a good candidate.

But LLL is only a trainer with Great Eastern. That is nothing to compare to the qualifications of PT, VW or AYG.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
How does a doctor knows anything about flood control?
Another doctor on military defence?
A navy admiral on land transport?
An army general on social services?
Another army general on foreign manpower management?
A mathematician on being a PM?

I am not saying politicians can be dimwit forest gump type. What I am only saying is that you cannot say a candidate is better because he score more As in exams, or make more money, or born into wealthy family.

Why are you quoting to me what I myself said in an earlier post? Anyway, I think they must have the necessary background to deal with the issues. It does not have to be academic experience, real life is even better. My point is that the current cabinet is underqualified because many of them have fancy academic degrees which are not necessarily relevant.

We don't think that LKY is a good politician because of his fancy law degree. We think that it is because of his real life experience in party politics. We are willing to accept that Bill Gates is a good businessman even though he is a uni dropout (albeit from a pretty good uni).

As for whether Low Thia Khiang has the right experience, right skills and right personality to be PM of Singapore, I give you one of his favourite quotes: "I have no comment".

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My 2 cents’ worth – let there be a 3 cornered fight. Below are my reasons.

1) WP’s performance has not been stellar to put it mildly. Disappointing would be a more appropriate word. So, choosing them as the “united” opposition’s choice for Punggol BE is tantamount to saying that we are happy with their performance thus far. No we are not. At least I and many others are not.

2) SDP has addressed issues at a national level, making good efforts at crafting workable plans to solve livelihood problems – Alternative Healthcare Plan, Alternative Housing Plan and maybe more to come. Pity they don’t have a seat in Parliament from which they can force the PAP to respond to these alternative solutions. WP asks questions about PAP’s current policies. They don’t offer alternatives. We need in Parliament another Opposition party to raise the level of the game.

3) WP does not need an extra seat. They already have how many? One extra is going to make a difference? You mean they can be bolder in scrutinising and checking the PAP government with 9 seats but not with 8. Who will seriously believe such an argument? On the other hand, this one seat will make a huge difference to SDP’s standing, if they manage to win it fair and square.

4) Of all the possible scenarios, a convincing PAP win (more than 50% of the votes) is not one of them, given their obstinacy in pursuing failed policies, recent scandals, etc. Chances of a PAP win is no doubt enhanced by a 3 cornered fight, but it will be a “Tony Tan” kind of win. A “win” that actually proves that they no longer command a majority of the votes e.g. PAP – 35%, WP – 33%, SDP – 32%. Anything to crow about? More importantly, WP still has the 8 seats from which to do what they are supposed to be doing.

5) On the other hand, such a result as mentioned in point 4 will send the following desirable signals:

(a) PAP no longer commands a majority;

(b) SG public expects the WP to do more;

(c) SDP too can become a credible Opposition party if it continues to play its cards right.

6) Note that the same 3 signals are sent if the result is WP – 35%, SDP – 33%, PAP – 32% OR SDP – 35%, WP – 33%, PAP – 32%.

7) So, what’s wrong with a 3 cornered fight? Let each party put forth its best candidate and may the best man or woman win!

Last edited:

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
My 2 cents’ worth – let there be a 3 cornered fight. Below are my reasons.

1) WP’s performance has not been stellar to put it mildly. Disappointing would be a more appropriate word. So, choosing them as the “united” opposition’s choice for Punggol BE is tantamount to saying that we are happy with their performance thus far. No we are not. At least I and many others are not.

2) SDP has addressed issues at a national level, making good efforts at crafting workable plans to solve livelihood problems – Alternative Healthcare Plan, Alternative Housing Plan and maybe more to come. Pity they don’t have a seat in Parliament from which they can force the PAP to respond to these alternative solutions. WP asks questions about PAP’s current policies. They don’t offer alternatives. We need in Parliament another Opposition party to raise the level of the game.

3) WP does not need an extra seat. They already have how many? One extra is going to make a difference? You mean they can be bolder in scrutinising and checking the PAP government with 9 seats but not with 8. Who will seriously believe such an argument? On the other hand, this one seat will make a huge difference to SDP’s standing, if they manage to win it fair and square.

4) Of all the possible scenarios, a convincing PAP win (more than 50% of the votes) is not one of them, given their obstinacy in pursuing failed policies, recent scandals, etc. Chances of a PAP win is no doubt enhanced by a 3 cornered fight, but it will be a “Tony Tan” kind of win. A “win” that actually proves that they no longer command a majority of the votes e.g. PAP – 35%, WP- 33%, SDP -32%. Anything to crow about? More importantly, WP still has the 8 seats from which to do what they are supposed to be doing.

5) On the other hand, such a result as mentioned in point 4 will send the following desirable signals:

(a) PAP no longer commands a majority;

(b) SG public expects the WP to do more;

(c) SDP too can become a credible Opposition party if it continues to play its cards right.

6) Note that the same 3 signals are sent if the result is WP – 35%, SDP – 33%, PAP – 32% OR SDP – 35%, WP – 33%, PAP – 32%.

7) So, what’s wrong with a 3 cornered fight? Let each party put forth its best candidate and may the best man or woman win!

I can agree on the need for a 3CF but only for one reason not in your list.

mei mei

Alfrescian
Loyal

Strongly agree with you on all 3 points.

• Not all are happy with WP's performance.

• SDP with alternative policies in Parliament will raise the level of the game.

• WP does not need an extra seat, this one seat will make a huge difference to SDP’s contribution to the people.