• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[COVID-19 Virus] The Sinkies are fucked Thread.

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
The only person's view I will trust in a pandemic such as this is Paul Tambyah, the real professor of infectious disease. Unfortunately, his views are often discarded and not publicised just because he is not from the PAP. Such a good and responsible man too... A real waste of talent. :o-o:

You're right. Fark the PAP! :roflmao:
To all sinkies! Tell me honestly in your heart of hearts... Is this not a man we all need to look up to for good, sound views at this time? Would you trust him more than the fat fark Kenneth Mak? His credentials not good enough? Fark the PAP for not giving a good, responsible and extremely knowledgeable man with worldwide acclaim a chance to lead us out of this shit!:FU:

Paul Tambyah to be first Singaporean to head International Society of Infectious Diseases​

Paul Tambyah to be first Singaporean to head International Society of Infectious Diseases

Infectious diseases expert Dr Paul Tambyah. (File photo: TODAY/Raj Nadarajan)
18 Jun 2020 10:22AM(Updated: 18 Jun 2020 10:30AM)
Bookmark
WhatsAppTelegramFacebookTwitterEmailLinkedIn
SINGAPORE: Infectious diseases expert Paul Tambyah has been elected as the president of the US-based International Society of Infectious Diseases (ISID).
The National University of Singapore (NUS) professor will be the first Singaporean to hold the position.

Before his term begins in 2022, Professor Tambyah will support the current ISID president, Professor Alison Holmes, in the running of the organisation, said NUS in a news release on Tuesday (Jun 16).
Founded in 1986, ISID is a non-profit organisation dedicated to finding solutions to the problems of infectious diseases across the world. The society also has a special focus in countries with limited resources and which disproportionately bear the burden of infectious diseases.
Prof Tambyah said in an email to TODAY that he was honoured to have been elected to the post "despite the challenging environment".
Professor Jonathan Cohen, a former ISID president, asked him to run for the post, he said.
“I agreed as I felt it was time to have a president from Asia, and that I could contribute to the society’s mission in improving infectious disease care in low- and middle-income countries,” said Prof Tambyah, who is also a senior consultant infectious diseases physician at the National University Hospital.

He added that this would provide opportunities for clinicians and scientists in Singapore to "get involved in the region and the world of infectious disease".
Prof Tambyah said that his plans for the society involved strengthening an "emerging leaders" programme that mentors young scientists from around the world and connects them with academics in major centres.
“I would also like to get the global health programmes in (Singapore’s) three medical schools and connect them with the professionals in the countries where ISID is active."
The medical schools in Singapore are NUS' Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, Nanyang Technological University's Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine and the Duke-NUS Medical School.
Commenting on the COVID-19 pandemic, Prof Tambyah said that this was a critical time for infectious diseases globally.

kaninabuchaojibye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some forummers here I am interacting with want to get COVID to acquire natural immunity. :roflmao:
'Irresponsible and dangerous': Hinshaw offers stern warning about COVID-19 parties
edmonton.ctvnews.ca
EDMONTON -

Alberta Health is investigating whether an Edson party advertising itself as a “get COVID” event to build up natural immunity to the virus actually happened.
CTV News was unable to confirm a report that multiple Edson residents were sent to ICU after deliberately trying to infect themselves with COVID-19 at a party.

“I don’t know anything about this party other than what I’ve heard and seen in the news,” Dr. Everett Zdrill said.

Zdrill is one of two doctors in the town of Edson who intubates COVID patients at Edson Healthcare Centre. Severe cases are usually transferred to Edmonton ICUs.
Zdrill shared how when cases were lower, he would transfer one patient per month.

“Last week, I transferred four patients in four days,” Zdrill said.

One of those transfers was a man in his 20s. All four were unvaccinated, Zdrill said.

Alberta Health Services says in the last eight days, six people have been transferred to Edmonton ICUs from Edson – two directly from the emergency department.

It’s not known how the six contracted the virus.

Kevin Zahara, mayor of Edson, said in a tweet that the city was not aware of any such party occurring.

On Thursday, Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Deena Hinshaw couldn’t confirm whether such party ever took place, but had stern words for anyone considering holding such gatherings where the goal is to get COVID-19.

“I cannot confirm that these reports are accurate,” she said. “Whether or not this specific report is verified, what is important to know is that anyone contemplating this kind of activity should know that this consequence, severe illness and transmitting to others who may become severely ill or even die is an absolutely likely outcome.

“Hosting or attending an event like this in the current time of crisis is irresponsible and dangerous,” Hinshaw said.

In Alberta, 73 per cent of the eligible population is vaccinated. In the Edson area, that number is 50 per cent.

“This town is kinda full of rednecks,” 19-year-old Edson resident Rhiannan said.
The teenager told CTV News that while she didn’t hear of a COVID party, many people simply don’t take the virus seriously.

“People are just kinda careless at this point,” she added. “They just want it to be over and prove a point it’s not a big thing.”

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually stupid is alive and well in Singapore.

Such a nice number. Any number that increases from here I celebrate. Just had a celebration last night.

You silly man. Without the vaccines, you may have to add another zero to that number.

Nothing to celebrate at the expense of the sufferings of others. Saying that doesn't prove you are right, makes you a loser like you are. :o-o:

kaninabuchaojibye

Alfrescian
Loyal

Israel: Over 1 million vaccinated lose their vaccine passport on sunday if they don't get a booster​

From Sunday, more than one million Israelis will lose their Green Pass after a policy change dictated that a COVID-19 booster shot is required six months after receiving the first two doses.

Health Ministry data on Monday showed that 4,710,716 Israelis were vaccinated with two doses six months ago, but only 3,243,641 of them have been administered a booster dose.

The pass is only valid from one week after receiving the last required dose, and for six months after. The document, held by those who are vaccinated or have recovered from COVID-19, enables access to many public places and events, including restaurants and museums.

A temporary Green Pass can be obtained through a negative virus test, which must be paid for unless the individual is not eligible for vaccination.

www.timesofisrael.com

Over 1 million Israelis who haven’t had 3rd dose to lose Green Pass on Sunday

Many won't be able to access certain public places and gatherings without a negative virus test after policy change requiring booster shot six months after 2nd COVID-19 vaccine
www.timesofisrael.com
www.timesofisrael.com

kaninabuchaojibye

Alfrescian
Loyal
I’m a fitness enthusiast. I also adhere to a nutrient-dense, “clean” eating program, which means I minimize my sugar intake and eat a lot of whole foods for the purpose of optimizing my health.

You might wonder how effective such a diet and exercise plan would be in the fight against COVID-19, since some have suggested – without supporting evidence – that vaccination may be unnecessary if a detailed wellness lifestyle is closely followed.

As a research scientist who has studied nutrition for close to 20 years, I have watched the wellness community’s response to the COVID-19 vaccines with great interest. While eating right can favorably impact the immune system, it is not reasonable to expect that nutrition alone will defend against a potentially life-threatening virus.

My lab group at the University of Memphis studies the effect of food and isolated nutrients on human health. In January 2009, we conducted an initial study of a stringent vegan diet. We enrolled 43 men and women who were allowed to eat as much plant-based food as desired, but drank only water, for 21 days.

The results demonstrated improvements in many variables related to cardio-metabolic health, such as blood cholesterol, blood pressure, insulin and C-reactive protein – a protein that increases in response to inflammation. We have since completed multiple human and animal nutrition studies using this dietary program.

My lab’s research has resulted in some 200 peer-reviewed scientific manuscripts and book chapters specific to nutrients and exercise, and the interaction between these two variables. The results of our work, as well as that of other scientists, clearly demonstrate the power of food to favorably impact health.

For many individuals, a positive change in eating habits results in such an improvement in clinically relevant measures like blood cholesterol and glucose that doctors can sometimes reduce or eliminate certain medications used to treat high cholesterol and diabetes. In other cases, these measures improve but the patient still requires the use of medications to control their disease. This tells us that in some situations, a great nutrition program is simply not enough to overcome the body’s challenges.

Although certain natural products have been discussed as treatments for COVID-19, little emphasis has been placed on whole food nutrition as a protective measure. I think this is unfortunate, and I believe strengthening our immune system with the goal of battling COVID-19 and other viral infections is of great importance. And the evidence tells us that a nutrient dense diet, regular exercise and adequate sleep can all contribute to optimal immune function.

Regarding nutritional intake, a recently published study using a sample of health care workers who contracted COVID-19 noted that those who followed a plant-based or pescatarian diet had 73% and 59% lower odds of moderate to severe COVID-19, respectively, compared to those who did not follow those diets. Although interesting, it’s important to remember that these findings represent an association rather than a causal effect.

While people can use nutrition to help shore up their immune system against COVID-19, diet is only one important consideration. Other variables matter a great deal too, including stress management, nutritional supplements and physical distancing and mask-wearing.

But to be clear, all of those elements should be considered tools in the toolbox to help combat COVID-19 – not a replacement for potentially life-saving vaccines.

I find it interesting that nearly all parents understand the importance of having their kids vaccinated against serious illnesses like mumps, measles and varicella. They do not expect that certain foods, or a nurturing environment, will do the job of a vaccine.

Yet, when it comes to COVID-19, this thought process is abandoned by some who believe that a healthy lifestyle will substitute for the vaccine, without seriously considering what the vaccine actually does to provide protection against the virus – something that a healthy lifestyle alone simply cannot do.

When contemplating whether to receive the COVID-19 vaccine, consider the following: All medications have risks, including things as seemingly benign as aspirin. Hormonal contraception – something used by millions of women every month – is thought to cause an estimated 300-400 deaths annually in the U.S. The same is true for cosmetic surgery, Botox injections and other elective procedures.

Many people are willing to accept the low risks in those cases, but not with those involving the COVID-19 vaccines – despite the fact that the risk of serious complications or death from COVID-19 far outweighs the low risk of serious adverse events from the vaccines.

No lifestyle approach, including strict adherence to a holistic, nutrient-dense diet – vegan, plant-forward or otherwise – will confer total protection against COVID-19. The vaccines aren’t perfect either; breakthrough infections do occur in some cases, though the vaccines continue to provide robust protection against severe illness and death.

I encourage people to do all they can to improve the health and functioning of their immune system, naturally. Then, seriously consider what additional protection would be gained from vaccination against COVID-19. When people make decisions based on the latest science – which is always evolving – rather than on emotions and misinformation, the decision should become much clearer.

news.yahoo.com

Can healthy people who eat right and exercise skip the COVID-19 vaccine? A research scientist and fitness enthusiast explains why the answer is no

Several thousand protestors opposed to the COVID-19 vaccine march through the streets of midtown Manhattan in New York on Sept. 18, 2021. Andrew Lichtenstein/Corbis News via Getty ImagesI’m a fitness enthusiast. I also adhere to a nutrient-dense, “clean” eating program, which means I minimize my...
news.yahoo.com
news.yahoo.com

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
While daily stats still trending upwards with some momentum gained, the 7-days average for oxygen supplementation does show some signs of a steady increase starting 25 SEP, even when the 7-days average for case counts still rising fairly sharply. I’m praying hard.

kaninabuchaojibye

Alfrescian
Loyal

[Bloomberg] Singapore Virus Debate Sowing Rare Disquiet in Ruling Party​

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...lee-s-people-s-action-party?srnd=premium-asia

Anxiety, confusion grow as infections climb in Singapore despite having one of the world’s highest vaccination rates.

By Faris Mokhtar and Philip Heijmans
29 September 2021, 05:00 GMT+8

Senior members of Singapore’s ruling People’s Action Party are concerned that mixed signals from the country’s virus task force are giving the appearance of divisions that could lead to rare infighting, people familiar with the situation said.

The party cadres, who decide which individuals are admitted to the PAP’s top decision making body, were concerned perceptions of a split could spur members to choose sides in the informal contest to succeed Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, whose plans to step aside were delayed amid the pandemic after his heir-apparent bowed out earlier this year. They said the prime minister or another senior member should take charge and show decisiveness, according to the people.

Lee’s disrupted succession plan -- unusual in a country used to orderly transitions -- has added more pressure on the PAP as it looks to keep the economy on track while dealing with rising concerns about foreign workers in the financial hub. Although the party prolonged its nearly six-decade rule in an election last year, the opposition gained a record number of seats.

While the virus task force and Lee’s cabinet make key decisions and implement them as a team, Finance Minister Lawrence Wong and Health Minister Ong Ye Kung have noticeably focused on different aspects of the pandemic response in recent public comments as the country announced stop-start changes in its reopening plan. Wong has generally appeared to favor tighter measures to contain the virus, while Ong is seen as a greater advocate for opening. Both are regarded as prime contenders to one day take power from Lee.

The disquiet in the party reflects a broader debate within Singapore society about the pace of opening up, even as it boasts one of the world’s highest vaccination rates. The Southeast Asian financial hub has sought to balance the need to resume international travel and domestic activity with keeping overall mortality rate low, leading to abrupt shifts in policy on issues like working from home and dining out.

In an interview with Bloomberg TV on Monday, Wong denied any divisions, saying the task force carefully deliberates all decisions and “definitely” operates by consensus. He appeared to align more clearly with Ong, saying the country would continue to reopen even as officials looked to keep the caseload contained while augmenting hospital capacity to handle 5,000 daily new cases or more.

After targeting zero cases for most of the pandemic, Singapore has started to tolerate more. It saw 1,939 new cases on Monday, the highest tally since April.

“We do not take the trust that people have in the government for granted at all,” Wong said.

Ong, the Prime Minister’s Office and the PAP didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment on the perceived differences of opinion and whether Lee was considering changes to the virus task force.

“Having a clear leadership may work better -- either Lee or his senior ministers should take charge,” Inderjit Singh, a former PAP lawmaker, said by phone. “The focus should be to tackle the pandemic and not a means to decide on selecting the future prime minister.”

One of the incidents that spurred confusion occurred earlier this month, when Wong told the press that Singapore shouldn’t rule out sweeping lockdown measures entirely amid rising infections. Those remarks appeared to contradict Ong, who was attending a Group of 20 meeting of health ministers in Rome at the time. He had earlier said he believed a so-called circuit breaker was “behind” Singapore.

Wong and Ong both rose to the fore as potential successors to Lee after his designated heir, Heng Swee Keat, shocked Singapore by stepping aside in April. At the time, Lee said the goal was to identify a successor among younger leaders before the next election due in 2025.

As the main public face of Singapore’s virus response last year, Wong won plaudits for speaking clearly to reassure the public and acting decisively to stem a surge in infections in foreign worker dorms. When he became finance minister after Heng stepped aside, Ong became a co-chair as health minister and the team presided over a vaccination campaign that has now inoculated more than four in every five people -- a feat that other developed nations have struggled to achieve.

Yet views between Wong and Ong appeared to diverge shortly after the task force drew up plans to reopen more when 80% of the population was vaccinated. In July, Ong said Singapore must find ways to live with the virus and it would not be “unusual at all” to have 200 cases or more per day.

But by Sept. 3, that resolve was tested with daily infections climbing higher than 200. Wong then made it clear the government would keep current rules and not make new opening moves. The government implemented more regular testing for some workers and expanded home recovery for Covid-19 patients to prevent hospitals from getting overwhelmed.

In the middle of the month, Ong called the jump in infections a “rite of passage” for nations that have resumed some semblance of normalcy. That stirred discontent, with more than 6,300 people signing a petition calling for Ong to resign. Others have taken to social media to voice their frustrations with home recovery arrangements and post satirical memes.

“For friends who know my phone numbers, they text me all the time and give me that feedback, but for every one of them I also get another one to say ‘why don’t we lock down,’” Ong said during a health summit in mid-September in response to a question on whether the government was being too cautious about reopening. “So, there is a range of risk appetites around Singapore.”

A survey by Milieu Insight found that 52% of Singaporeans felt the latest restrictions on social gatherings were “just right,” with 25% saying they were too strict and the rest calling them too lax, the Straits Times reported on Tuesday.

“The differences in approaches and tone have been magnified in large part because of the public awareness” that Wong and Ong are frontrunners to become prime minister, said Nydia Ngiow, Singapore-based senior director at BowerGroupAsia, a strategic policy advisory firm.

Such publicly divergent views would usually be unheard of for a party used to the strong-arm leadership of its founding father Lee Kuan Yew, according to Bilveer Singh, associate professor at the National University of Singapore’s department of political science.

“In the late 1970’s Lee Kuan Yew said, ‘give clear signals -- don’t confuse people,” Singh said. “This is the master talking.

Now, somehow or another, I think the PAP failed here.”

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
While daily stats still trending upwards with some momentum gained, the 7-days average for oxygen supplementation does show some signs of a steady increase starting 25 SEP, even when the 7-days average for case counts still rising fairly sharply. I’m praying hard.

Who cares? Sinkieland has plenty of oxygen, right? Otherwise it wouldn't have donated oxygen to the ah nehs and the Indons. :wink:

Singapore sends two planeloads of oxygen cylinders to India to aid its Covid-19 response​

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...oxygen-cylinders-to-india-to-aid-its-pandemic

Changi Foundation, airport partners donate 1,380 oxygen concentrators to Indonesia to fight Covid-19​

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...80-oxygen-concentrators-to-indonesia-to-fight

porcaputtana

Alfrescian
Loyal

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
mRNA working as intended right?
Finally! After about 100 posts, you finally got the spelling right. :biggrin:

You are like the mentally challenged kid who can't seem to remember his ABCs

There. It wasn't so diffcicult right?

porcaputtana

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder why all the anti establishment folks here are all crying foul and having their knickers in a twist when numbers soar.

This is the natural herd immunity they have been asking for. More superior they say.

But at the cost of human lives .

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder why all the anti establishment folks here are all crying foul and having their knickers in a twist when numbers soar.

This is the natural herd immunity they have been asking for. More superior they say.

But at the cost of human lives .
In their pursuit to sound "clever" by declaring the vaccines as poison, they have missed that. Either that, or they are too dumb to know what is natural immunity...