• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Concerns of A Young Singaporean

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
My brother is 23 yrs old. He is a true blooded Singaporean who loves Singapore. He has completed serving his NSF and is studying overseas.

Recently he shared with me his concerns. They are:

1. SG has openly embraced foreigners and freely gives citizenship to all and sundry. This is unprecedented in any country. But, sadly, what Singapore is attracting are 3rd rate foreigners. The better foreigners are choosing 1st world countries like USA, Australia, etc. Will SG suffer in the future because of present cheap citizenship rules which attract 3rd rate new citizens?

2. Cost of living in SG is high. The govt is importing unskilled and unqualified foreign labour to suppress manpower costs. This caused many singaporeans to work for artificially low pay and also face job insecurity. With HDB flats being artificially priced and with the many hidden taxes imposed by the govt, will the average singaporean have enough money to stop working when he reaches 65 or will he have to resort to clean tables just to eke out a living in his twilight years?

3. The quality of worklife for singaporeans sulks

My brother has the good fortune of choosing to migrate if he wants to. He loves Singapore and would love to come back. But the push factors for him to leave are very compelling. His heart is to come back to Singapore. But his head tells him that to migrate is the logical choice.

Shd he return to Singapore to work or shd he migrate? Any thoughts/advice?

I love Singapore too, and many of the brothers/sisters here love Singapore too.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
State and party are one and the same, they are not mutually exclusive. Isn't loyalty to a country equivalent to loyalty to the ruling state party that built houses for you people to live, planted trees to beautify the country and improve the ecosystem, shelters, roads and other public utilities for you people to use, as well as the establishment of a stable transportation system and an excellent base infrastructure to meet the communications needs and expectations of all who are in Singapore especially including the locals and your typical heartlanders?

i disagree. Party is there to do a job and is not there to rule. Nobody rule anyone in a country when it is a republic.

It is only those worthless sinkies that bend down even further after being screwed allows the govt to think that they are god.

People can hate the party and yet love the land. ONly these true singaporeans will get rid of the PAP once and for all as they love their land.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"State and party are one and the same,"

No..SG is not the pap alto lky thinks that it is so.

I can be pro SG and anti pap

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Isn't loyalty to a country equivalent to loyalty to the ruling state party "

No. loyalty to a country is not necessarily loyalty to a party.

An American can be loyal to USA and anti Democrat.

Likewise a Singaporean can be loyal to Singapore but anti pap but instead loyal Worker's Party. is that wrong?

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
Given the right opportunity, I'll go stay elsewhere. But I won't severe the ties with this country.

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
:-)

which country wld u like to stay?

There are a few choices, like Australia/Sydney or USA/SF are exciting locations, even Toronto seems fetching. I've stayed in Hong Kong and Taipei for a while, and even life in these Asia locations are much more exciting (happening) then SG.

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Yes, Australia, USA, Canada are indeed choice locations. SG pales in comparison. "

Life is dynamic and never static - I see the issue from a different point of view. I see life as different places as different sand boxes.

When i was 20+, i was working in Brunei and met my wife, we had our 1st kid and knew that i have to move another Sandbox ie back to singapore to bring up the kids so that my parents get a chance to enjoy the grand kids.
In the 12 years there, i planned that if my eldest kid reaches 11 years of age. We should have the Canada PR - then we will move to where I am currently in Edmonton, Alberta Canada. I agreed that for now, it is the best for my 4 kids to get educated. Once, they reached 18 yrs old and have become independent. I will move again. This time to some where i can enjoy the fruit of my labour - life is too short. I have done my duties as a parent in try to provide for my kids and create for them the best opportunities they can ever have ie. 3 different nationalities and can exercise where they want to stay at different stages in their life. Can speak their minds, if they are not happy with the place - move on to another sand box.

In short, stand a little further look at what is suitable for you at that point of life. Rather than to look at what everyone thinks that it is suitable for you. As what might be good for them might not be good for you.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Yes, Australia, USA, Canada are indeed choice locations. SG pales in comparison. "

Life is dynamic and never static - I see the issue from a different point of view. I see life as different places as different sand boxes.

When i was 20+, i was working in Brunei and met my wife, we had our 1st kid and knew that i have to move another Sandbox ie back to singapore to bring up the kids so that my parents get a chance to enjoy the grand kids.
In the 12 years there, i planned that if my eldest kid reaches 11 years of age. We should have the Canada PR - then we will move to where I am currently in Edmonton, Alberta Canada. I agreed that for now, it is the best for my 4 kids to get educated. Once, they reached 18 yrs old and have become independent. I will move again. This time to some where i can enjoy the fruit of my labour - life is too short. I have done my duties as a parent in try to provide for my kids and create for them the best opportunities they can ever have ie. 3 different nationalities and can exercise where they want to stay at different stages in their life. Can speak their minds, if they are not happy with the place - move on to another sand box.

In short, stand a little further look at what is suitable for you at that point of life. Rather than to look at what everyone thinks that it is suitable for you. As what might be good for them might not be good for you.

4 kids:eek:

ur wife breed like a pig..

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Did you find life fulfilling in Canada?

Did you enjoy your stay in Brunei and Canada?

Last edited:

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Did you enjoy your stay in Brunei and Canada?

yansen84

Alfrescian
Loyal
My brother is 23 yrs old. He is a true blooded Singaporean who loves Singapore. He has completed serving his NSF and is studying overseas.

Recently he shared with me his concerns. They are:

1. SG has openly embraced foreigners and freely gives citizenship to all and sundry. This is unprecedented in any country. But, sadly, what Singapore is attracting are 3rd rate foreigners. The better foreigners are choosing 1st world countries like USA, Australia, etc. Will SG suffer in the future because of present cheap citizenship rules which attract 3rd rate new citizens?

2. Cost of living in SG is high. The govt is importing unskilled and unqualified foreign labour to suppress manpower costs. This caused many singaporeans to work for artificially low pay and also face job insecurity. With HDB flats being artificially priced and with the many hidden taxes imposed by the govt, will the average singaporean have enough money to stop working when he reaches 65 or will he have to resort to clean tables just to eke out a living in his twilight years?

3. The quality of worklife for singaporeans sulks

My brother has the good fortune of choosing to migrate if he wants to. He loves Singapore and would love to come back. But the push factors for him to leave are very compelling. His heart is to come back to Singapore. But his head tells him that to migrate is the logical choice.

Shd he return to Singapore to work or shd he migrate? Any thoughts/advice?

I think at his age, his set of concerns while legitimate are probably not too relevant. Perhaps he should concern himself with thinking of seeing as much of the world as possible while he's young. Look for internship opportunities during summer breaks, go on exchange, and if he's already in the final year, look for opportunities for work abroad. Someone at 23 should be enjoying the life of exploring the diversity this world has to offer, experiencing and embracing different cultures. Sadly, many young Sinkies remain Sinkiefied in their mindset to working and living overseas - for many it's still grad, get a stable job in SG, get married and then see out your entire life lin that manner. It's quite a waste considering what the world has to offer.