• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Church Goers vs Temple Goers.

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
We went to Star Vista just now for a quick bite at Itacho. After, window shopped around the mall ∼ which irked me a bit as there aren't any aircon whenever you are outside a shop. Well, I can't complain, the designer of this mall must be trying to be eco-friendly but honestly, it's simply too humid for a mall like this to operate.

While window shopping, I met Jane (not her real name as I have no intention to "expose" anyone here).

After exchanging pleasantries, I commented why she is so well dressed on a lazy weekend. She replied, "Oh, Praise the Lord, I have accepted Christ now and today is the Lord's day, we must respect Him as we gather to worship Him".

Momentarily, I was stunned by her words. Never knew Jane was a Christian as I always thought she was Buddhist or whatever in law school days because once I went to her place and saw the Kwan Ying alter.

Feeling awkward by her exclamation of holiness, I changed the subject to work and we then parted.

I remember Jane in law school. She was never like that. If I am not wrong, she was often dressed plainly (though I would say too plainly or "poorly" dressed without any makeup whatsoever).

I told him about Jane in the car just now while going back to his place. He commented that such people are hypocrites (and in his exact words) ∼ "why these fxxkers last time go temple never wear nicely, but why now go church must dress well, fxxking hypocrites!!!".

I was like errr... but I guess there is some logic in what he said, minus those swear language.

Honestly, I am also puzzled why there is now a dress code for going Church on Sunday.

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
...Honestly, I am also puzzled why there is now a dress code for going Church on Sunday.

These church goers are often led to believe that when they are dressed well, they will appear well to do and can contribute more money to their church. So, the more they contribute, the more they are valued in the church and by the pastors like Con Hee who regard these gong kias as their ATMs and the path to a good life with luxuries.

As for those who go to the temple, if you dressed in suit and still donate 50 cents, no one will bat an eye lid. If you dressed in T-shirt and short with flip flop slipper and donate 50 dollars, no one will praise you.

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
These church goers are often led to believe that when they are dressed well, they will appear well to do and can contribute more money to their church. So, the more they contribute, the more they are valued in the church and by the pastors like Con Hee who regard these gong kias as their ATMs and the path to a good life with luxuries.

As for those who go to the temple, if you dressed in suit and still donate 50 cents, no one will bat an eye lid. If you dressed in T-shirt and short with flip flop slipper and donate 50 dollars, no one will praise you.

Hi Big. Indeed strange. I often thought whatever God/deities one believes in, that is a personal relationship between the two. It is the first time I see dress code in religion.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why TS so farking kay poh!

Not only that, "she" is farking stewpig and imagined that there is a dress code when none is implied from Jane's reply.

What is implied from Jane's reply is that since the purpose of going to church is to worship her God and not to ask for worldly wealth by burning joss sticks, therefore she must dress in a way which shows respect. To draw an analogy that dumbfark Sinkies can understand, will you be showing proper respect by attending a wedding banquet in a five star hotel in shorts and slippers?

Chinese go to temple in shorts and slippers because they have never been a religious lot. Since they are only going there to tikam tikam for good fortune, they can even go there in their farking underwear if it were not illegal by the laws of man.

TS should just admit that she is jealous and go fark herself!

Law school my foot! Probaby some uncouth Ah Lian :oIo:

Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,
But not expressed in fancy—rich, not gaudy,
For the apparel oft proclaims the man,
And they in France of the best rank and station
Are of a most select and generous chief in that.

[video=youtube;sXS2esgBvxQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXS2esgBvxQ[/video]

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Hi Big. Indeed strange. I often thought whatever God/deities one believes in, that is a personal relationship between the two. It is the first time I see dress code in religion.

Dress code has to do with peer pressure. For many churchgoers, they tend to go out for lunch at fancier restaurants after church service. So, they would prefer to dress up for the service.

I wasn't aware that in a Chink religion like Buddhism, Taoism or whatever, there is any personal relationship between the deities and the human. It seems very transactional too, and often, the deities can be bribed with 'sweet things' so that they would say good things about you to the Jade Emperor.

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dress code has to do with peer pressure. For many churchgoers, they tend to go out for lunch at fancier restaurants after church service. So, they would prefer to dress up for the service.

I wasn't aware that in a Chink religion like Buddhism, Taoism or whatever, there is any personal relationship between the deities and the human. It seems very transactional too, and often, the deities can be bribed with 'sweet things' so that they would say good things about you to the Jade Emperor.

Hello John. Your observations are interesting. I am not into religion nor deities, and hence I assume so.

On dresscode, do you mean that Taoists, or other deities worshipers do not eat at fancy restaurants, hence they are less well dressed? I don't think so. No?

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... I told him about Jane in the car just now while going back to his place. He commented that such people are hypocrites (and in his exact words) ∼ "why these fxxkers last time go temple never wear nicely, but why now go church must dress well, fxxking hypocrites!!!" ...
how he f**king no dose f**kers last time go temple never wear nicely? ... was he f**kin there @ ze temple? ...

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Hello John. Your observations are interesting. I am not into religion nor deities, and hence I assume so.

On dresscode, do you mean that Taoists, or other deities worshipers do not eat at fancy restaurants, hence they are less well dressed? I don't think so. No?

My observation is that for church-goers, they tend to go out for social gatherings after the service (lunch, movies, coffee, etc etc). Hence, they have a higher tendency to dress up. Few people go out in groups dressed like slobs. For worshippers at chink temples, I notice that they usually come as a family (or alone) and leave the same way (as a family or alone). Fewer of them would go out as a group for social gathering after temple worship rituals. Maybe others have different observation.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
We went to Star Vista just now for a quick bite at Itacho. After, window shopped around the mall ∼ which irked me a bit as there aren't any aircon whenever you are outside a shop. Well, I can't complain, the designer of this mall must be trying to be eco-friendly but honestly, it's simply too humid for a mall like this to operate.

While window shopping, I met Jane (not her real name as I have no intention to "expose" anyone here).

After exchanging pleasantries, I commented why she is so well dressed on a lazy weekend. She replied, "Oh, Praise the Lord, I have accepted Christ now and today is the Lord's day, we must respect Him as we gather to worship Him".

Momentarily, I was stunned by her words. Never knew Jane was a Christian as I always thought she was Buddhist or whatever in law school days because once I went to her place and saw the Kwan Ying alter.

Feeling awkward by her exclamation of holiness, I changed the subject to work and we then parted.

I remember Jane in law school. She was never like that. If I am not wrong, she was often dressed plainly (though I would say too plainly or "poorly" dressed without any makeup whatsoever).

I told him about Jane in the car just now while going back to his place. He commented that such people are hypocrites (and in his exact words) ∼ "why these fxxkers last time go temple never wear nicely, but why now go church must dress well, fxxking hypocrites!!!".

I was like errr... but I guess there is some logic in what he said, minus those swear language.

Honestly, I am also puzzled why there is now a dress code for going Church on Sunday.

Amos Yee is the worst.. Dress like an asshole

Faker

Alfrescian
Loyal
My observation is that for church-goers, they tend to go out for social gatherings after the service (lunch, movies, coffee, etc etc). Hence, they have a higher tendency to dress up. Few people go out in groups dressed like slobs. For worshippers at chink temples, I notice that they usually come as a family (or alone) and leave the same way (as a family or alone). Fewer of them would go out as a group for social gathering after temple worship rituals. Maybe others have different observation.

Most christian hypocrites would rub off the fact they are bribing Jesus for an afterlife which they treasure more than their parent who bring them up.

And no christian hypocrite would openly admit they give many times more money to the church than their own parent.

201501_066_Prosper_art_350_363_90.jpg

Attachments

• 201501_066_Prosper_art_350_363_90.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,188

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal

So, the reason to dress up is to impress friends and the excuse is God. No?

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most christian hypocrites would rub off the fact they are bribing Jesus for an afterlife which they treasure more than their parent who bring them up.

And no christian hypocrite would openly admit they give many times more money to the church than their own parent.

Hello Faker. Good afternoon. Interesting link. Thanks :smile:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Agreed.

But that happens because most Christians in Singapore used to be from chink worshipping religions, where bribing of deities is common and expected. So, when this habit is brought over to a 'western' religion, no one bats an eyelid even though Christianity doctrine does not sell salvation in exchange for money or good deeds.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

And so Chink parents bring up their children so as to receive money from them when they are old enough to work? What farking hypocrites.

What if these Christians have rich parents who don't need their money and would rather than it be spent or given else where?

Typically one track mind Sinkie!

harimau

Alfrescian
Loyal
You think God is stupid? He can be bribed by anyone with lots of tithes? He knows our hearts. Whether we have ulterior motives. That is why He is God and we are humans.

Matthew 19:24
New International Version
Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God."

I respect people who dressed well in church because they respect God. He is the creator of the Universe.

For me I dressed casually in church. Nothing fancy. In Singapore I even wear sandals to church. External factors are not important in worshipping God. Do you except poor Africans to dress in suit in church in Africa? Do you think God will reject their worshipping? Of course not. Its the heart that counts.

Jesus, the Son of God came to earth in a smelly and dirty horse stable. He wasn't born in 4 star hospital or a kings palace.

What does that tell you? Humility is holiness!

mrLKY2e_2x.jpg

Last edited:

Faker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agreed.

But that happens because most Christians in Singapore used to be from chink worshipping religions, where bribing of deities is common and expected. So, when this habit is brought over to a 'western' religion, no one bats an eyelid even though Christianity doctrine does not sell salvation in exchange for money or good deeds.

The religion has been integrated as part of their culture for hundred of decades since the days roman empire, even their daily spoken lingos like OMG!

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So, the reason to dress up is to impress friends and the excuse is God. No?

Possible but not the only explanation.

Human beings are social animals. In some groups, it is not good to stick out like a sore thumb. So they dress in the same style as the others so as not to stand out.

Let me give you an example. In professional circles in many Western and some Asian cities, suit and tie is expected. While I don't a fark about that personally, there is little to be gained from going against the tide. So wear suit and tie and clients will focus on the substantive issues and not my style of dressing. Why does the farking PAP wear short sleeve white shirt and long pants only during election time but when meeting foreign dignatories wear suit and tie?

Christians have many denominations and sects. Try wearing to impress in a Trappist monastery. They make good beer, but that is another story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trappists

Obviously your analytical "abilities" leaves much to be desired. Now, go back to law school and start again from year one.

:oIo::kma:

Faker

Alfrescian
Loyal
And so Chink parents bring up their children so as to receive money from them when they are old enough to work? What farking hypocrites.

What if these Christians have rich parents who don't need their money and would rather than it be spent or given else where?

Typically one track mind Sinkie!

Don't veer off from the points of the original questions.