• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chiangmai or Johor for retirement ?

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you have a choice between a big condo in Chiangmai and a Semi-Detached in Johore for retirement, which would you prefer ?

It's not just the condo or house, you've also to consider the overall environment, including costs of living, in both places.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm not doing a poll lah. I want reasons for your preference.

Orh, cheaper than Chiangmai, good weather, fair skin women LOL
One of my friends boss uses his money to build homestay near nature, he rent the houses to the locals, then he advertise his homestay, tourist will stay together with the locals and the locals will cook for the tourist, very good idea. It's also a good place for resting and retiring, lol

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thailand:

1) Good spicy foods
2) Vibrant night life
3) Good place to start small family business
4) Polite people
5) Country with no discrimination
6) Cheap place to buy drugs if you are old and sick
7) Abundant of nature for the soul
8) Certain culture quite similar to Singapore - dialect/religon
9) Can easily adopt poor and abadoned kids if couple is childless
10) Cost of livings low/many cheap products in the market
11) People there are not Kiasu, Kiasi and Kia Cheng Hu
unlike Singaporeans.
12) I love buddha

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you have a choice between a big condo in Chiangmai and a Semi-Detached in Johore for retirement, which would you prefer ?

It's not just the condo or house, you've also to consider the overall environment, including costs of living, in both places.

kukup or pontian the best.
Just live like the fishermen there, by building a wooden house over the river, maybe buy a second hand fishing vessel.
less than one hour drive to cheenapore and fresh seafood everyday. cheap too.
for transportation in malaysia, but a truck, proton, perodua or naza. they are all tax and duty free. or just get a motorbike.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't forget you get to live in a landed property in Johor.

What's the big deal with staying on landed property?
It might be a Spore thing to want landed but my friends in Bkk, Canada, Aust,..., really don't care about it .

Unless you are into gardening I don't see why any old folks would want landed property. One is not likely to spend time gardening when there's alot to see & do in LOS.

windy15

Chengmai Thailand is better reasons are as follows

1)Semi detached is about 1 million thai baht abt 40K cheaper than JB/China and singapore Condo can be also cheaper abt 20K only
2)Safer than JB due to their buddish culture
3)food is better no need to go Halal
4)entertainment is better
6)Supermarkets like Big C,Tesco, all better and cheaper
7)Rental of house is abt 160 to 200 per month cheaper
8)only 1 problem a bit further than JB need to take a plane, however now togerairways cheap
I stayed on Thailand for 3 years and the place is cheaper than SG/JB/China
Problem is the language not easy to learn, basic thai is easy, however cannot master the language easily

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Except for a special few, most of you are comparing Chiangmai with Singapore, or worse still, Bangkok with Singapore.

It's between Chiangmai and Johor.

The advantage of Johor is you get to live in a landed property, such as Horizon Hills, and can slip into Singapore any time without having to worry about resident visa etc.

As for Chiangmai, lets just assume language is not a problem. Chiangmai is definitely not as action packed as Bangkok. Then again, we're talking about retirement, not your usual chionging. So I don't see how beautiful girls would play a part in your selection process.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if choose msia ... no nid stick 2 jb la ... jb is mor xpensif than most other places in msia ...

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal
10 reason to retire in Chiang Mai

-Extremely friendly people.

-Fantastic food.

-Cost of living is on average around 50% cheaper than living in SG.

-Wonderful year-round climate.

-Low crime rate.

-Great medical services and facilities.

-Convenient public transport and good road network.

-Great sports, nature facilities and huge range of interest groups available for all to join.

-Wide range of cultural pursuits and a number of annual festivals.

-Excellent markets which include the famous Sunday market, local markets, night bazaar and food markets.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The advantage of Johor is you get to live in a landed property, such as Horizon Hills, and can slip into Singapore any time without having to worry about resident visa etc.

Why would anyone want to go back to Spore:confused:

If you have a business, home, bills to pay in Spore then you have to ask yourself if your really ready to retire.? For the occasional visit to Spore there's always the budget airlines which only takes a bit longer to get to Spore.

Malaysian who want to retire consider places like Ipoh & not JB :smile:
JB is the most expensive place in Malaysia. In a few years it'll probably get more crowded/expensive as more older Sporeans move there.

Must also factor in the talk about Spore going nuclear. Do you really want to be too close to Spore when that happens :eek:

fenwick

Alfrescian
Loyal
comparison should be between Chiangmai and Johor, not Singapore.

The high crime rates in Johor alone is already a good reason !!! House breaking, car theft, arm robbery are happening daily ( even during daytime ) and occasionally kidnapping.....................:cool: