• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Best curry mee is back at Hong Lim Hawker Centre

ying2009

there's a new fish soup stall at Hong Lim Food Centre, located at #02-06!
go and have a try if you're free!

PowerFishSoup.jpg

SlicedFishSoup.jpg

they also have a Facebook page www.facebook.com/PowerFishSoup

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is Ah Heng's temp stall, i saw him there few months ago, not sure its still there or closed.

it was run by the same machoman who is now a macho uncle - still got all those bulging arm muscles. this is the original curry chicken mee which was at the old hc at merchant where MERCHANT HOTEL now stands.

his hay bee hiam or dried shrimp paste chilli is very solid. he would generously give u more without extra charges. must add that if u want more oomph into your curry mee.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
OK, me and family had been eating at Ah Hui (or Ah Hwee) Prawn noodle for generations. Ah Hui is the original prawn noodle hawker at Hong Lim. Prior to Hong Lim, he is at Tong Ji (not sure where is the place as of today but it should be on top of the canal in front of Hong Lim Park). And prior to that, Ah Hui was a mobile hawker. He carried the soup and charcoal oven using a bamboo stick. That was the best prawn noodle soup ever exist. I knew the place inside out cos' my late great grandma's shop was around there. There used to be a tallest 7 storey red building around there during the 70s. Think the 3 rifle brand or crocodile brand were in this building.

And about Ah Hui's downfall, was told he got into betting horse and the rest is history. Old folks who knew him said "if he never touch horse, easily a few bungalows".

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think during bird flu incident, they banned fresh duck egg? not sure......
Hehehe. Remember I used to bring duck eggs to order Char Kway Teow when I was a kid. Yes! Heavenly and that time, it's pure lard for Char Kway Teow and bloody see hum. Wah! saliva drooling liaoz.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hehehe. Remember I used to bring duck eggs to order Char Kway Teow when I was a kid. Yes! Heavenly and that time, it's pure lard for Char Kway Teow and bloody see hum. Wah! saliva drooling liaoz.

For zhichar and roti prata too...
Try to pull this stunt now the hawker will look at you machiam you alien from mars!

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ah Hui is the original prawn noodle hawker at Hong Lim. Prior to Hong Lim, he is at Tong Ji (not sure where is the place as of today but it should be on top of the canal in front of Hong Lim Park). And prior to that, Ah Hui was a mobile hawker. He carried the soup and charcoal oven using a bamboo stick. That was the best prawn noodle soup ever exist. I knew the place inside out cos' my late great grandma's shop was around there. There used to be a tallest 7 storey red building around there during the 70s. Think the 3 rifle brand or crocodile brand were in this building.

The roadside stall they have, then, was on Hokkien Street. Yes, the original Tong Ji medical hall was right at the junction. Crocodile was not in a 7-storey building but a 9-storey building and behind this were other 9-storey buildings, famous for committing suicide, similar to Bedok Reservoir today.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The roadside stall they have, then, was on Hokkien Street. Yes, the original Tong Ji medical hall was right at the junction. Crocodile was not in a 7-storey building but a 9-storey building and behind this were other 9-storey buildings, famous for committing suicide, similar to Bedok Reservoir today.
Morning Fook! Wow! you correctly describe the place. Another famous landmark around that area was a clinic call "So See" aka key clinic. Now I remember, the 9 storey building is a white building (also famous for men housing mistresses there) . My late great grandma's shophouse was located at the current Chinatown point facing the red building. Remember there is also a toy shop in the red building.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Morning Fook! Wow! you correctly describe the place. Another famous landmark around that area was a clinic call "So See" aka key clinic. ................Remember there is also a toy shop in the red building.

Yes. I remember the Key Clinic and the toy shop as well. There was also the Chartered Bank and a roti prata stall and Wan Tun Mee stall (both very good) in the coffee shop in another 9-storey just behind it. What has gone now includes the Central Police Station where the Great Eastern Life now is. Also I remember the old Dou Fu Jie where the Hong Lim Hawker Centre now sits right on top of.

Do you remember the two hawker stalls at the junction of Hokkien Street that fried some of the best 什锦河粉 in town, with lard, of course, in those days but also clams (don't see much of this nowadays)? One was called Kay Kee. The other was either Meng Kee or Seng Kee.

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
OK, me and family had been eating at Ah Hui (or Ah Hwee) Prawn noodle for generations. Ah Hui is the original prawn noodle hawker at Hong Lim. Prior to Hong Lim, he is at Tong Ji (not sure where is the place as of today but it should be on top of the canal in front of Hong Lim Park). And prior to that, Ah Hui was a mobile hawker. He carried the soup and charcoal oven using a bamboo stick. That was the best prawn noodle soup ever exist. I knew the place inside out cos' my late great grandma's shop was around there. There used to be a tallest 7 storey red building around there during the 70s. Think the 3 rifle brand or crocodile brand were in this building.

And about Ah Hui's downfall, was told he got into betting horse and the rest is history. Old folks who knew him said "if he never touch horse, easily a few bungalows".

The Crocodile brand...btw, is the crocodile male or female, its tail facing left or right?? ha ha ha Lacoste vs Crocodile case, which crocs won?