• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Are Property Agents Trustworthy?

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.asiaone.com/Digital/Features/Story/A1Story20070523-8289.html

20070123_001a.jpg

Fake degrees
Ms Tammy Tan, group corporate communications officer for ComfortDelGro, told Digital Life that the qualifications of all job applicants, including those applying for executive postions, are checked by directly calling up the universities.

But such a method may not work against some degree mills, which provide verification services, said executive search firms. Employers who call them are told that the applicant is indeed a graduate from the school and assured of the good standing of the university.

This certainly reminds me of Ms Grace Wald of Templeton University.

peterlth

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now, I don't have any vested interest in the university nor any personal gratification to see this university vindicated. I only think I should share what I know. If i am mistaken about my managers' qualifications, it doesn't affect me because they have been with me for the past 5 years and they are excellent, trustworthy performers.

You know why they are licking your a** for the past 5 years? Because you are the only employers who are dumb enough to take them in. All other employers will throw their resume as rubbish the moment they see Templeton University ....

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
You know why they are licking your a** for the past 5 years? Because you are the only employers who are dumb enough to take them in. All other employers will throw their resume as rubbish the moment they see Templeton University ....

I cannot fathom any employer upon knowing their employees are using fake degrees to continue letting them stay on the company. It's not how capable or experienced they are. It's how conniving, and scheming these people are.

Imagine them holding positions in accounts or logistics:rolleyes:, and we would never know how much these ppl might embezzle or getting kickbacks from suppliers

peterlth

Alfrescian
Loyal
My PhD in Marketing is from Templeton University .... you should address me as Dr Tan .... hee hee heee ... and I am the CEO of the Singapore Accredited Estate Agencies ... and I am saying that all real estate agents are trustworthy .... you must trust me OK?

st_teekhoon.jpg

Dr Tan Tee Khoon
Chief Executive Officer
Singapore Accredited Estate Agencies

peterlth

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is from another thread on similar topic ...

Beware of People who claim to have “Doctorates”

Shrewd businessmen are buying degrees from degree mills and passing themselves off as “Dr” so-and-so.

Straits Times journalist Sandra Davie even managed to buy a degree for her dog! (ST, August 29, 2008).

Yes, Harry Doggy the cute beagle is now officially a “Doctor of Arts”. For just US$599.

Other people spent years slogging to get a PhD and “Dr” Harry didn’t even move a finger paw to be conferred a doctorate.

So who are the famous people in Singapore with degrees that are similar to “Dr” Harry Doggy’s? Straits Times mentioned the following:

Expressions International founder “Dr” Theresa Chew.
Bread Talk founder “Dr” George Quek.
"Dr' Harry Doggy
“Dr” T. Chandroo who runs 60 Montessori kindergartens.
“Dr” Clemen Chiang who runs options trading seminars.
(and "Dr" Tan Tee Khoon who is the CEO of some Real Estate Accredition Body in Singapore?)
images
images
images
dr-t-chandroo.jpg
images
st_teekhoon.jpg

I remember Clemen Chiang even called his degree-mill alma mata “the prestigious Preston University” in his ads. Now, we all know Preston is a virtual university that gives out PhDs freely for a fee.

What’s worse is that Clemen Chiang is also “widely quoted in the local press”, including the Business Times (see example). Given BT’s past record of uncovering at least one case of people who lied / misled about their credentials (see discussion about the famous Dennis Lee case and article in Time magazine), I don’t know why BT did not do more diligence and still invited “Dr” Chiang to write in its columns.

More from the very enlightening ST article:

“Mr Chiang sheepishly admits that he continues to use his doctorate as it helps to pave the way in business… But he added: ‘But I am thinking of dropping my doctorate title altogether until I complete the current PhD I am working on with the University of South Australia.’ “

Er… which University of South Australia is he referring to? Let’s hope it’s the legitimate one and not another degree mill.

Update (6 Sep 2008): Preston wrote to ST and took up a full-page ad announcing the “factual errors” in that ST article and “superficial” research done by ST. Nothing surprising – they’re just protecting their business interests. In the same vein, T. Chandroo also wrote to ST Forum and wished for people to understand his “disappointment”. The ST editor retorted:

“For over a month, Mr Chandroo’s secretary said he was ‘too busy’ to answer e-mails or calls… Preston University is not accredited by any US Department of Education-recognised accrediting body. The state of Oregon refers to Preston University as a ‘degree supplier’ and has named it on its list of unapproved schools… In 2001, the US-based Chronicle of Higher Education reported that Preston University had listed faculty members who had nothing to do with the institution (a fact later admitted by Preston)…”

Source: http://www.salary.sg/2008/beware-of-people-who-claim-to-have-doctorates/

peterlth

Alfrescian
Loyal
Iranian Interior Minister's Oxford Degree Ox-forged

Ali Kordan, the Interior Minister of Iran, learned the hard way that a fake honorary degree from Oxford University isn't enough to stay in Parliament's good graces. Although Kordan maintained that he was duped by a fake Oxford affiliate office in Tehran, he was impeached in 2008 and got the boot.

Kordan-6.jpg

peterlth

Alfrescian
Loyal
My PhD in Marketing is from Templeton University .... you should address me as Dr Tan .... hee hee heee ... and I am the CEO of the Singapore Accredited Estate Agencies ... and I am saying that all real estate agents are trustworthy .... you must trust me OK?

st_teekhoon.jpg

Dr Tan Tee Khoon
Chief Executive Officer

With all the new policies to curb property speculation, wonder how would our angmohlang (aka Tan Tee Koon aka Mr Generalisation) comment ...

peterlth

Alfrescian
Loyal

st_teekhoon.jpg

Dr Tan Tee Khoon
Chief Executive Officer

Strangly, angmohlang (Tan Tee Koon) seems to have vanished!

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
actually, marketing is not a professional skill,dun require attending good universities.

hahaha...hotbot, this i got to agree with u.
the ah sohs can beat any graduates hands down when it comes to marketing; getting the best bargains and fresh food.
however, don't forget your medicine hor.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
actually, marketing is not a professional skill,dun require attending good universities.

hahaha...hotbot, this i got to agree with u.
the ah sohs can beat any graduates hands down when it comes to marketing; getting the best bargains and fresh food.
however, don't forget your medicine hor.

You two are confusing marketing with sales. Both are professional skills, with or without degrees, but different. Marketing is macro and sales is micro. Nothing to do with aunties bargaining in markets, that's just a human economic instinct of how much you want it versus how much you're willing to pay for it. Marketing decide how many people knows and gets interested about it and sales decide how many people actually buy it.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
You two are confusing marketing with sales. Both are professional skills, with or without degrees, but different. Marketing is macro and sales is micro. Nothing to do with aunties bargaining in markets, that's just a human economic instinct of how much you want it versus how much you're willing to pay for it. Marketing decide how many people knows and gets interested about it and sales decide how many people actually buy it.

oops...paiseh..i thought marketing is going to markets to buy things...

Coolsaint77

Alfrescian
Loyal

In my company, this is the difference between Marketing and Sales.

Sales: Quota based, pay package has at least 40% quota-based component, you need to actually secure a deal (motherhood statement, i know)

Marketing: No quota, pay not pegged to specific parameter... in other words these guys just tokkok about how many road shows they hold, how many attendances they secured at their event out of the 10,000 mailers they sent, how many leads they eventually got... which is passed to sales to secure the deal.

Based on my observation my company can close down the marketing department and it would not make a difference to actual sales.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Based on my observation my company can close down the marketing department and it would not make a difference to actual sales.

Many people thought that but to my experience, it's not. No company is so stupid waste so much money on marketing department if it makes no difference. The direct results are measured in sales figures of course, that's what gives the impression. However, the marketing support and campaigns make the sales process easier to achive higher results.

peterlth

Alfrescian
Loyal
From internal sources, Tan Tee Khoon (aka angmorlang) is still boasting around with his 'Dr' title ... no shame ....

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A few points to note when engaging the service of property agent :

1. Agreed on the commission part before further discussion with them.

2. Always give the agent a minmum selling price and buying price - do your own market research first before setting this figure - do not give discount to them.

3. Remember that agent will not always act on your benefit. E.g. when engaging a buying agent, how would u expect him to fight for a lower buying price for u, by doing this he will get lesser commission.

4. If you notice, agents do not let buyer/seller interact with you. Behind the scene, a lot of underhand methods are being used.
Example of a typical con job,

A is a seller. B is A's agent. C is a buyer and D is C's agent.

A did not give his agent B a targeted firm price to sell.
C is willing to pay a X amount of $ to buy the property but A has no idea at all about this X amount.
Agent B will tell A that there is a keen buyer but he is not willing to pay him his targetted price.
Agent D will then work in cahoots with Agent B
Agent D told buyer C that he can close the deal for him at maximum the X amount that he is willing to pay, or even lesser, provided he is willing to pay Agent B a commission. If the buyer C agrees, the total amount he need to pay , including the extra comm he requires to pay, will still be max at X amount, thus buyer C may thought that is a good deal.
Seller A is being kept in the dark and sold his property.

The winner here is both the agents.
Buyer C may thought he did not lose but in actual fact he also lost.
Seller A is lost big time.