• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

All about cars in Malaysia

sillysinky

Alfrescian
Loyal
yup, no way. i had asked the forum before and kindly confirmed by many. not even a Msian who is a SG PR can drive a Msia card into SG.
this makes sense actually as there are so many in this group.

Not many people know this, if you are a Singaporean who runs a business in malaysia. you can actually apply to drive a malaysian car in singapore. I think you apply with the LTA, if i am not mistaken.

abugumgum

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Life in JB without a car..

with low use, actually taking a cab and mix of bus is cheaper.

the down side, of course is flexibility and the pain of getting a "not so nice" cab driver :(

siacw

Alfrescian
Loyal

JB sentral do not have any wet market. should be fine if you eat out most of the time.

without a transport you will confine to only JB sentral and hard to move around in malaysia

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal

If stay at JB Sentral....

Will that be easier with Galleria, Komtar, City Sq and more than 7 banks surrounding....

If you wish to prepare some of your own meals, proximity to supermarket is useful. Not sure if there's any near JB Sentral at moment though.

I've always felt a car is essential for M'sian living though. You can buy one relatively cheaply and keep it literally for life (no COE etc).

avelc

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hey good to see you here from the other forum.

If you mean living in Setia88 and travelling to KSL mall / City Sq, then you'll do fine with taxis. If you need to travel frequently to Iskandar zone B, then it'll be more inconvenient.

Personally I have not driven a car before and I do not intend to drive a car in the future.

Is JB very much livable city without driving a car?

I simply wonder........:rolleyes:

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal

Do you consider this project close enough?

Whether Matex is close enough to supermarkets? I'm not sure either... I've only recently started "re-acquainting" myself with JB ever since I got my 'retirement place' which I plan to move in only when it gets ready in 3 years' time. Unfortunately my 'research' on JB to-date is limited to online/virtual study. I certainly hope to start making more 'real' visits soon to get a better feel of the ground, but the thing that's holding me back is that I do not drive, and taking JB taxis isn't really something I look forward to as long as they don't use meters.

siacw

Alfrescian
Loyal

no local will be able to fork out RM3-4K rent for a studio unit in JB or PH. so I think the rental market will be very limited to expat.

currently I do not see any expat in JB town. majority of expat will be in nusajaya where the job is.

siacw

Alfrescian
Loyal

when the CIQ moved, business in JB town is virtually half dead. If they close down Jalan wong ah fook, no business will survive.

Malaysian don't walk. we double park, we go round and round inside parking to search for a spot nearest to the exit, we drive even if it is just 100m away.

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

By next year Jalan Wong Ah Fook is going to open up to reveal the Segget.

No more Jalan Wong Ah Fook at Jalan Wong Ah Fook.

avelc

Alfrescian
Loyal

There seems to be a bit of transformation in JB that is quietly ongoing -- unless u visit JB town often else you won't know about them. Look forward to zone A and B coming to life!

By next year Jalan Wong Ah Fook is going to open up to reveal the Segget.

No more Jalan Wong Ah Fook at Jalan Wong Ah Fook.

Jevil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pls try not to take blue color taxi in JB (was told they are international taxi that can cross over to Singapore). There was once we hopped onto the blue taxi after the driver confirmed he charges us by meter. Fm Tebrau Jusco to Holiday Inn Plz, we were charged RM70 by his "meter". He still hv the cheek to tell us "ok wat... singapore dollar is nothing"... But the same morning, fm CIQ to Tebrau Jusco we were only charged RM14+...

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Not many people know this, if you are a Singaporean who runs a business in malaysia. you can actually apply to drive a malaysian car in singapore. I think you apply with the LTA, if i am not mistaken.

Actually someone posted sometime back about this and the email details to apply to, etc. I think the limit is 28 days a year and is approved on a case by case basis for folks who can prove they have a business here and residing here. Have to bring the approval letter at all times while in Singapore. Subject to VEP and can buy the whole day ERP pass.

1. Singapore citizens, Permanent Residents (regardless of their place of residence), student pass holder, long term social visit pass holder and residents of Singapore cannot drive a Malaysia-registered car in/into Singapore. However, Singaporeans working and residing in Malaysia who need to make home visits to Singapore occasionally are allowed to drive their Malaysia-registered cars into Singapore on a case-by-case basis, subjected to prior approval from LTA (VEP fees will still apply).

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Need to apply 5 days in advance though. Found the old link:

In recognition of the needs of bona fide Singaporeans or Singapore PRs working and residing in Malaysia to make home visits to Singapore, we could consider you for the special concession scheme. Under the scheme, all approved applicants are allowed to drive their Malaysia-registered cars into Singapore for all weekends, all Singapore public holidays and another 28 weekdays in a calendar year. Approval will be given on a case-by-case basis with consideration to the following:

The applicant (his spouse or his company) is the registered owner of the vehicle. If the vehicle is rented/leased by his company, he has to submit an official letter from the company stating the period the vehicle is leased for and that the vehicle is provided solely for his use;
He is physically working and residing in Malaysia;
He is required to apply to Land Transport Authority for approval when his earlier approval letter (if any) has expired (i.e. upon expiry of his vehicle's insurance/road tax or 6 months, whichever is earlier);
His vehicle has a valid Malaysia road tax disc and insurance coverage for the period it is used in Singapore; and
He must keep, in each of his visit, his vehicle outside Singapore before the vehicle entry permit grace expiry of 14 days from the date of the last entry.

(Note: Unless further extension is granted, the vehicle entry permit valid for 14 days is issued upon each entry and encoded in its Autopass Card electronically at land checkpoint.)

If you wish to apply for the scheme, please fax your request and the following documents to us at (02)-65535329 or (02)-65535802 (from Malaysia) or by email to [email protected]:

A photocopy of your Singapore identity card (front and reverse sides);
A photocopy of your passport with the relevant page of your employment pass endorsed by Malaysian Immigration or Malaysian identity card (if any);
A photocopy of your company's letter confirming that you are currently working and residing in Malaysia;
A photocopy of your vehicle's valid registration card (front and reverse sides) with latest valid road tax endorsement by Road Transport Department, Malaysia;
A photocopy of your vehicle's valid insurance certificate;
If the vehicle in your application is registered under your company's name (or is rented/leased by your company), we would also require an photocopy of your employer's letter stating the period the vehicle is leased for and that the vehicle is given solely for your use and that only you can drive the vehicle; and
A photocopy of your marriage certificate (if you are applying with your spouse's vehicle).

Please also provide us your residential address in Malaysia and your residential address during your intending visit in Singapore and indicate your intended date(s) of visit (if available) to Singapore.

Important Note

Your application must reach us at least 5 working days (excluding Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays) before your intended visit to Singapore to allow us to process your application. Please note that we may not be able to process your application on time if your submission is incomplete or late.

Electronic Road Pricing and Vehicle Entry Permit Fees and toll charges

Please refer to our website at http://www.lta.gov.sg =>'Motoring' =>'Driving Into and Out Singapore' =>`West-Malaysian Registered Vehicles' =>'Vehicle Entry Permit/Tolls' and `Autopass card matters' for more details on payment of vehicle entry permit (VEP) fee, electronic road pricing (ERP) fee and toll charges.

Driving Licence to drive in Singapore

You may also wish to check on the type of driving licence required to drive in Singapore for Singapore citizen or Singapore permanent resident from the following Singapore Traffic Police's portal:

http://driving-in-singapore.spf.gov.sg/ser...cence_legal.htm

Please contact our Customer Service Hotline at 1800-CALL LTA (1800-2255582) or email us at [email protected] or [email protected] if you need clarification.

We thank you for writing to us.

Regards,

Source:
http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2668644

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pls try not to take blue color taxi in JB (was told they are international taxi that can cross over to Singapore). There was once we hopped onto the blue taxi after the driver confirmed he charges us by meter. Fm Tebrau Jusco to Holiday Inn Plz, we were charged RM70 by his "meter". He still hv the cheek to tell us "ok wat... singapore dollar is nothing"... But the same morning, fm CIQ to Tebrau Jusco we were only charged RM14+...

This is one of the reasons I avoid JB taxis like the plague. The only place in M'sia I take taxis is KL since they do tend to use the meters and the commutes are usually short distances within the city centre. Even then, I make it a habit to act "extra M'sian" (I am M'sian anyway) by opening the taxi door, going straight in, sitting down, and rattling my destination with a sprinkling of Bahasa... they will not think twice you're not a local :smile:

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal

There seems to be a bit of transformation in JB that is quietly ongoing -- unless u visit JB town often else you won't know about them. Look forward to zone A and B coming to life!

I'm certainly looking forward to that! My impressions of JB are somehow stuck in the 1990s. Jb has for a long time been merely a transit point before heading further north to Malacca and KL etc. I recall the trips on the 170 bus as it made its way from the old causeway CIQ to Larkin, and boy was it like going through very 'small-town' roads. Things have certainly improved. Hope to see even more changes in the future now that I'm set on moving here in 3 yrs' time!

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hope it is close enough to supermarket....:smile:

I like this condo as I do not even need a taxi unless I travel to other zone.

I can walk from CIQ to JB Sentral to Komtar to Matex. (all points are going to link up with perdestrain bridge before 2016.)

Yes, I think it's all gonna be walkable, since the nearby improvements including Komtar extension etc should be ready by the time Matex is up. Good for you!

sillysinky

Alfrescian
Loyal
Need to apply 5 days in advance though. Found the old link:

In recognition of the needs of bona fide Singaporeans or Singapore PRs working and residing in Malaysia to make home visits to Singapore, we could consider you for the special concession scheme. Under the scheme, all approved applicants are allowed to drive their Malaysia-registered cars into Singapore for all weekends, all Singapore public holidays and another 28 weekdays in a calendar year. Approval will be given on a case-by-case basis with consideration to the following:

The applicant (his spouse or his company) is the registered owner of the vehicle. If the vehicle is rented/leased by his company, he has to submit an official letter from the company stating the period the vehicle is leased for and that the vehicle is provided solely for his use;
He is physically working and residing in Malaysia;
He is required to apply to Land Transport Authority for approval when his earlier approval letter (if any) has expired (i.e. upon expiry of his vehicle's insurance/road tax or 6 months, whichever is earlier);
His vehicle has a valid Malaysia road tax disc and insurance coverage for the period it is used in Singapore; and
He must keep, in each of his visit, his vehicle outside Singapore before the vehicle entry permit grace expiry of 14 days from the date of the last entry.

(Note: Unless further extension is granted, the vehicle entry permit valid for 14 days is issued upon each entry and encoded in its Autopass Card electronically at land checkpoint.)

If you wish to apply for the scheme, please fax your request and the following documents to us at (02)-65535329 or (02)-65535802 (from Malaysia) or by email to [email protected]:

A photocopy of your Singapore identity card (front and reverse sides);
A photocopy of your passport with the relevant page of your employment pass endorsed by Malaysian Immigration or Malaysian identity card (if any);
A photocopy of your company's letter confirming that you are currently working and residing in Malaysia;
A photocopy of your vehicle's valid registration card (front and reverse sides) with latest valid road tax endorsement by Road Transport Department, Malaysia;
A photocopy of your vehicle's valid insurance certificate;
If the vehicle in your application is registered under your company's name (or is rented/leased by your company), we would also require an photocopy of your employer's letter stating the period the vehicle is leased for and that the vehicle is given solely for your use and that only you can drive the vehicle; and
A photocopy of your marriage certificate (if you are applying with your spouse's vehicle).

Please also provide us your residential address in Malaysia and your residential address during your intending visit in Singapore and indicate your intended date(s) of visit (if available) to Singapore.

Important Note

Your application must reach us at least 5 working days (excluding Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays) before your intended visit to Singapore to allow us to process your application. Please note that we may not be able to process your application on time if your submission is incomplete or late.

Electronic Road Pricing and Vehicle Entry Permit Fees and toll charges

Please refer to our website at http://www.lta.gov.sg =>'Motoring' =>'Driving Into and Out Singapore' =>`West-Malaysian Registered Vehicles' =>'Vehicle Entry Permit/Tolls' and `Autopass card matters' for more details on payment of vehicle entry permit (VEP) fee, electronic road pricing (ERP) fee and toll charges.

Driving Licence to drive in Singapore

You may also wish to check on the type of driving licence required to drive in Singapore for Singapore citizen or Singapore permanent resident from the following Singapore Traffic Police's portal:

http://driving-in-singapore.spf.gov.sg/ser...cence_legal.htm

Please contact our Customer Service Hotline at 1800-CALL LTA (1800-2255582) or email us at [email protected] or [email protected] if you need clarification.

We thank you for writing to us.

Regards,

Source:
http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2668644

Great stuff....28 weekdays plus weekend and public holidays would be more than enough for him as his business is in KL.