• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

$5 for 1 prata and 1 drumstick, normal?

Imperialarse

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks, so maybe you all should be careful when you go to this prata shop in HV.

kopi price in sg increase now bigger increase in those HV,Orchard area air con kopi rent increasing food increasing etc u want cheap cheap go to heartland area hbd kopi price increase only small one

u go around SG now you see price i think you will be shock now compare to b4

Screwball

Alfrescian
Loyal
Normal price of a plain prata is $0.80, with egg is $1.60.

S11's kopi is now $1. Banned.

You still can finding $0.80 prata. Most places now is costing $1.00 for prata kosong, with egg prata is costing $1.60-$1.80. I donch drinking kopi but my cup of teh is now costing $1.00.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
food inflation is very high in singapore.
the bad - high price ,quality of food drop

the good - constant improvement of the environment where you eat

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You still can finding $0.80 prata. Most places now is costing $1.00 for prata kosong, with egg prata is costing $1.60-$1.80. I donch drinking kopi but my cup of teh is now costing $1.00.

At my place, there're two stalls selling prata kosong at S$0.70 and one selling at S$0.80. All reasonably good and curry not too watery. At these prices, prata is the cheapest Indian/Muslim food around for a quick fill of the stomach. The most expensive in terms of value for money must be mee goreng or nasi goreng. Noodle or rice fried in chilli with nothing else but an egg served with a few miserly pieces of cucumber. One stall even has S$3.50 with egg and S$3.00 without egg. :mad:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Jln Kayu still 80 cents. But if you insist on fish curry (w/o fish), they charge 50 cents for a plate.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Y A W N ... 80c wanna KPKB ... one word for you .. L O S E R

Please la I am not kowpaying la, I have not been back a long time just thought to discuss with fellow light minded people la. Also maybe highlight some some unreasonable hawker to all of us. In think the prat a shop I highlighted is really unreasonable.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please la I am not kowpaying la, I have not been back a long time just thought to discuss with fellow light minded people la. Also maybe highlight some some unreasonable hawker to all of us. In think the prat a shop I highlighted is really unreasonable.

Perspective lah ...

$5 for 1 prata + 1 drumstick is excessive.
$0.80 for a kopi is not.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Perspective lah ...

$5 for 1 prata + 1 drumstick is excessive.
$0.80 for a kopi is not.

Agree 100%. Gong Xi Fa Cai to you cass888. I'll be off to my cheaper lifestyle in Bangkok tomorrow night. Cheers.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Nowadays ordering a simple meal, you got to be thick skin and be specific. In order to cover the high rental, hawkers uses all their wits to earn that extra $ and that is because our watchdog is no longer effective.

Let me give you examples of economic rice.

$2.70 - 2 Veg 1 meat
$3.00 - 1 veg 2 meat

If you ever order from those stalls runs by Malaysian, be careful when ordering veg, if you see slices of meat in it, it is considered meat dish, though you may ends up with 2 small slices.

There was once when I ordered 2 pure veg and 1 meat it comes out to $4. I was stump and ask why was that? I was told the meat cost $2. Ok, if the meat cost $2 and the generic meat cost $1.50, then my meal should cost $3.20 ( pay the difference ).

No.... If you happens to order some items that is not in the "common meal" items, then it is counted separately! And of course there is no way you can tell which items are excluded in the "meal" items. They won't tell you or neither do they label it as such.

:mad:

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
Obviously it is not worth $6.50 however notwithstanding the taste is this normal price in Singapore now?

This shop operates in HV, a perceivably more "up market" place compared to other normal HDB estates. You are paying a premium price for the rental perhaps. My usual Prata makan place is at Geylang and they sell $0.80 for kosong prata. They have a choice of gravy for you to choose. And they do not charge for re-fills. :biggrin:

Last edited:

sinren67

Alfrescian
Loyal

That's the prices in yishun. One cooffeeshop behind yishun bus interchange still selling kopi at 70 cents while the are 80 or 90 cents. i think plain prata for $1 is too ex liao, it is not the market rate.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
I no longer eat Malay/Indian/Muslim food since teenage days. It's expensive and unhealthy. Taste wise, it's all about spicy and nothing much else.

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
That chap in corner Hollad V has never done well,compared to the smart Malay stall who started with his own BBQ chicken,he is doing very well.

This Malay guy knows what is biz,the Indian stall,maken full and wait to die.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
That chap in corner Hollad V has never done well,compared to the smart Malay stall who started with his own BBQ chicken,he is doing very well.

This Malay guy knows what is biz,the Indian stall,maken full and wait to die.

I happened to be there and craved for some prata la.

In Bangkok prata is sold everywhere on the streets. Thais call them roti. The problem is it is eaten as a sweet snack meaning: fry the dough when its all open before folding ; throw in a lump of ghee or planta butter ; then throw in a fist full of sugar ; then fold it into square ; after that pour onto it sweet condense milk ; finally roll it on paper. (banana , chocolate , milo etc etc are extras).

Damn sweet. Cost about 10baht (40 cents). If add egg will cost 13baht (50cents). I always buy with egg only and without any sugar or milk or banana. Then I will open a can of Yeo's curry chicken that I buy from Singapore to eat with it.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Bangkok prata is sold everywhere on the streets. Thais call them roti. The problem is it is eaten as a sweet snack meaning: fry the dough when its all open before folding ; throw in a lump of ghee or planta butter ; then throw in a fist full of sugar ; then fold it into square ; after that pour onto it sweet condense milk ; finally roll it on paper. (banana , chocolate , milo etc etc are extras).

Damn sweet.

I was quite shocked at Thai eating habits when I first visited Thailand. You know for western food, the table condiments are usually salt, pepper and ketchup. For Chinese food, usually soy sauce, pepper and chili. But for Thai food, they actually have sugar on the table besides fish sauce and chili. I actually saw some Thais happily adding spoonfuls of sugar to their soup noodle. It's a wonder that Thais generally look slim and fit.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I was quite shocked at Thai eating habits when I first visited Thailand. You know for western food, the table condiments are usually salt, pepper and ketchup. For Chinese food, usually soy sauce, pepper and chili. But for Thai food, they actually have sugar on the table besides fish sauce and chili. I actually saw some Thais happily adding spoonfuls of sugar to their soup noodle. It's a wonder that Thais generally look slim and fit.

Yes I've been living there for 5 years and travelled there more than 15 years until today I still cannot understand why put sugar into noodles or anything. Yes see they will usually add fish sauce (very salty) in too so if it's too salty they will add sugar to try to balance then if it become too sweet they add fish sauce again and this may be repeated a few times until they get it right.

Diabetes is actually a big problem in Thailand.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes I've been living there for 5 years and travelled there more than 15 years until today I still cannot understand why put sugar into noodles or anything. Yes see they will usually add fish sauce (very salty) in too so if it's too salty they will add sugar to try to balance then if it become too sweet they add fish sauce again and this may be repeated a few times until they get it right.

The last time I saw this practice in Singapore was in my childhood, when prata could be served with either sugar or curry.

Diabetes is actually a big problem in Thailand.

I saw quite a number of amputated beggars in Thailand. Seeing the way motorcycles zoom around the streets, I thought most of them must have been accident victims. Knowing this now, perhaps diabetic amputees too.