• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

$5 for 1 prata and 1 drumstick, normal?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I saw quite a number of amputated beggars in Thailand. Seeing the way motorcycles zoom around the streets, I thought most of them must have been accident victims. Knowing this now, perhaps diabetic amputees too.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: I think you are very funny.

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
I saw quite a number of amputated beggars in Thailand.

you don't believe stories that children were abducted from families, some were well to do families, and some mother recognized her own child minus limps carried by beggar begging on the street

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
not quite, Thailand is among the lowest end percentage of diabetic sufferers

I apologise if I am wrong. I should have said many of my Thai male friends have Type 2 diabetes. You may have just enlightened me because maybe the reason many of my friends have this is because we are mostly heavy drinkers. Seriously I was also diagnosed with early stage of diabetes at one 2 years ago and after taking medication for half a year it was under control and taken out of medication. Obviously after that the party continues. Cheers :p

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I apologise if I am wrong. I should have said many of my Thai male friends have Type 2 diabetes. You may have just enlightened me because maybe the reason many of my friends have this is because we are mostly heavy drinkers. Seriously I was also diagnosed with early stage of diabetes at one 2 years ago and after taking medication for half a year it was under control and taken out of medication. Obviously after that the party continues. Cheers :p

I don't think alcohol contributes much to diabetes. It's more of the food. I've lived in Thailand for some years too. I'm also surprised you say diabetes is a big problem in there. I've never heard so before. VD and AIDS are far more common problems that I've heard. Otherwise, the Thais look quite healthy despite their richly spicy foods, certainly far more healthy than Singapore Malays and Indians, especially their women, young and old.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I don't think alcohol contributes much to diabetes. It's more of the food. I've lived in Thailand for some years too. I'm also surprised you say diabetes is a big problem in there. I've never heard so before. VD and AIDS are far more common problems that I've heard. Otherwise, the Thais look quite healthy despite their richly spicy foods, certainly far more healthy than Singapore Malays and Indians, especially their women, young and old.

I've got 4 business partners 3 got early signs diabetes, like me, and many of my customers especially isaan ones also have this. It's reversible though. First thing doc will tell is stop alcohol especially beer for a while while taking medication. After test again. Serious, many men here have this I was told because I'm one of them. It's ok now though.

RoyMcFarland

Alfrescian
Loyal
$5 is definitely too much. Whether its a foodcourt or hawker centre. Geylang or Marina Bay.

Probably the guy increased his prices for Chinese New Year. Especiaally if he is one of the few stalls opened.

You are lucky if you get a "kosong" prata during the New Year eve and first day... Suddenly only got "telor"!!

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've got 4 business partners 3 got early signs diabetes, like me, and many of my customers especially isaan ones also have this. It's reversible though. First thing doc will tell is stop alcohol especially beer for a while while taking medication. After test again. Serious, many men here have this I was told because I'm one of them. It's ok now though.

khon thais all love their food sweet, salty, spicy. They find singapore food bland. One reason for their slim figures is hereditary, high metabolism, vege intake.

The pratas they serve on the streets in thailand is called roti, full of sugar and milk, I can't eat that. They have fat thais too. Those are the more well to do ones. :o

I actually stopped drinking alcohol because of high sugar.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Food costs is rising and will continue to do so. Singapore got no crops, no agriculture, most foods are imported. So with the shortage around the world, food will cost more, inflation will go up.

Charlie258

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have been living in Bangkok for a few years, yesterday I came back for CNY with family here. This morning I went to the corner coffee shop of Holland Village (opposite Windmill) known as Holland Village Foodcourt. I ordered a prata with egg and a drumstick in curry, I had to pay $5.00 for them. Then I asked for another prata kosong and paid $1.50. May I ask people here if this price normal in Singapore now or is it just Holland Village price?

Ok about the food, the prata is ok only not too bad but the curry chicken curry is very very watery. I even asked for the daal curry and it is even more watery. Obviously it is not worth $6.50 however notwithstanding the taste is this normal price in Singapore now?

In Singapore, just stick to your usual routine places, or prepare to get a nasty surprise. I eat breakfast at one of only 3 places, and never change them. Since you come back from Bangkok, I realize this info may not be too useful to you. But just had to share, how I do things and avoid getting "ketok."

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
In Singapore, just stick to your usual routine places, or prepare to get a nasty surprise. I eat breakfast at one of only 3 places, and never change them. Since you come back from Bangkok, I realize this info may not be too useful to you. But just had to share, how I do things and avoid getting "ketok."

Thank you Charlie258. Good advise. Things had really changed in Singapore . . . . . I hope it will be for the better for all

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
One thing good going for people like me are the western foodstalls in hawker centres and coffeeshops, always coming with full display panels of foods and prices. I usually eat out at these stalls or at McDonald's. I don't mind Chinese foods occasionally too, usually cheap and good, at least for those that I've learned how to order. Indian/Malay/Muslim foods are the worst and most expensive. They're charging Japanese prices without being anywhere as good as Japanese foods.

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perspective lah ...

$5 for 1 prata + 1 drumstick is excessive.
$0.80 for a kopi is not.

Does the drumstick includes a thigh, Most indians cut their chickens into four pcs. Normal selling for $4.00, and $5.00 for stalls in Shopping malls. Again. He ordered prata with egg, normally $1.20 and $1.50 in the mall. Kosong is between 70cents to $1.00. You called it excessive.

Soul_Reaper

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does the drumstick includes a thigh, Most indians cut their chickens into four pcs. Normal selling for $4.00, and $5.00 for stalls in Shopping malls. Again. He ordered prata with egg, normally $1.20 and $1.50 in the mall. Kosong is between 70cents to $1.00. You called it excessive.

This morning the kopitiams around my area are still closed for CNY so I went to the only kedai kopi that was opened........ a malay cafe 2 streets away.

Ordered 2 kosong bawang prata for myself, 1 telor prata for my son, one cheese prata for my nephew, 1 plate of ikan sambal and 3 teh tarik...... the stall assistant say today holiday and busy day so they dun sell kosong...... only telor prata...... fair enough so ordered 3 telor pratas + 1 plate of ikan sambal + 3 teh tariks.

After makan the bill came to $18.50 !! When I asked for breakdown of the price then the stall assistant say today price increased..... sir only 1 year one time lah...... KNN

Telor prata = $2.00 (normal price = $1.50)
Ikan sambal = $8.00 (normal price = $5.00)
Teh tarik = $1.50 (normal price = $0.90)

Seems like everyone is using this opportunity to raise prices. :mad:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Drumstick as in only drumstick without any thigh.

Tonight I had prata at Adam Road: Prata with eggs $1.50 and Mutton $3.00 a piece. Total $4.50 thats what I ordered. I saw kosong is $1.80 for 2 pcs.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
This morning the kopitiams around my area are still closed for CNY so I went to the only kedai kopi that was opened........ a malay cafe 2 streets away.

Ordered 2 kosong bawang prata for myself, 1 telor prata for my son, one cheese prata for my nephew, 1 plate of ikan sambal and 3 teh tarik...... the stall assistant say today holiday and busy day so they dun sell kosong...... only telor prata...... fair enough so ordered 3 telor pratas + 1 plate of ikan sambal + 3 teh tariks.

After makan the bill came to $18.50 !! When I asked for breakdown of the price then the stall assistant say today price increased..... sir only 1 year one time lah...... KNN

Telor prata = $2.00 (normal price = $1.50)
Ikan sambal = $8.00 (normal price = $5.00)
Teh tarik = $1.50 (normal price = $0.90)

Seems like everyone is using this opportunity to raise prices. :mad:

Damn jialat man . . . :mad: :oIo: :mad: :oIo: :mad: :oIo: :mad: :oIo:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tonight I had prata at Adam Road: Prata with eggs $1.50 and Mutton $3.00 a piece. Total $4.50 thats what I ordered. I saw kosong is $1.80 for 2 pcs.

You seem to have a taste for Indian/Muslim food. Coming back from Thailand to Singapore during CNY to eat Indian/Muslim food. :confused:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Oh I almost forgot . . . ordered a laksa at Chatterbox in Mandarin Hotel this morning that costs $32.00 before +++. This one got lobster so bohbian. Anyway quite sedap. This one prices very clearly printed so cannot comprain. But I did ask if they have laksa without lobster, waitress told me no lobster can put chicken but price same same. So I went for lobster la.

Qantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
If all of u follow what I do, u will put all the food courts and kopitiams out of business. That is provided u are willing to put in a little effort and time to do so. I do not patronise those fricking food courts if necessary. I make my own sandwich and bring to ofc for lunch or buy some economical beehoon from the market in the morning to ofc n microwave 4 lunch. As for drinks, I will only make my own kopi at home or in the ofc. If you wanna to drink soft drink, go to supermarket and buy lah (provided u dun mind not cold). Even if I do go for lunch at hawker centre at work, I will only choose mixed rice with one meat and one veggie, or two veggie (I will screw the hawker if he dare overcharge me as I will ask for breaksown). Worse come to worse, just eat chicken rice without the chicken (cost maybe $1 and quite tasty also). Hope u guys can give your suggestions and see whether we can put those hawkers who profiteer out of business and maybe bring the rental down.