• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

$4000 a month also want to complain!!!!

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
More mid-career professionals consider joining teaching force
By Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 09 December 2008 2001 hrs

SINGAPORE: The Education Ministry (MOE) is bringing forward manpower hiring plans amidst the economic downturn, in hope of employing more than 2,200 teachers next year.

To raise the proportion of mid-career professionals in the teaching force, MOE held its first large-scale recruitment drive at Raffles Place on Tuesday. With no age limit for applicants, the ministry received over 100 job enquiries.

Anu Rupa, engineer at an oil & gas company, said: "The current situation is uncertain for all the industries. Oil and gas, as you know, is hit. Teaching – I look at it as a very wise and evergreen industry."

Most of the younger applicants told Channel NewsAsia that they would be getting less if they join teaching, but it is a compromise they are willing to make.

Alexandria Senanayake, marketing executive, said: "I will probably be taking a pay cut, but it is not too much of a concern. If you enjoy your job and you love it, and if you get paid a certain amount, I think I will be happy enough."

As for older applicants in managerial positions, they said making all recruits start from the bottom in the teaching force, under-utilises talent and disregards experience.

Foo Chuan Yong, human resource consultant, said: "You have just one model to attract everybody when you need to customise the model to attract more applicants. You don't expect somebody who has 16 years, 18 years experience to come in to be a teacher at S$4,000. There is some unbalance in terms of benchmark in compensation and scope of work."

Gladys Chew, recruitment marketing manager at MOE, said: "As in all careers, you need to prove yourself first. You have to go for training, embark on teaching first and I think the career prospects are really good." ........
.....................................................................................................

I'm sure Mr Foo would prefer to remain unemployed and wait for a $10,000 a month pay package for his new job. I hope the recession will get worse and people like Mr Foo will start begging for jobs even with no pay!!!

Singaporeans have too good a life! It's time they have a taste of what is being unemployed,jobless, no income and sick and lonely!!!

What consultant!!! $4000 and yet still want to complain!!! Chay!!!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TV2008112422090200.jpg

Heng ah! Still thot u say I $4M a year also say $ no enuff! Btw, lucky nobody noticed that I told my leeporters to interview only my FT pets! *zzzz*

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
singaporeans are really spoilt brats....$4000 a month and still want to complain!!! so what if you are a consultant! what hr consultant! what skill you got? no company..no business...no workers...no nothing...you got job or not? or start your own job...

and what is wrong with being a teacher? knn! don't know death!!!

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
singaporeans are really spoilt brats....$4000 a month and still want to complain!!! so what if you are a consultant! what hr consultant! what skill you got? no company..no business...no workers...no nothing...you got job or not? or start your own job...

I think what the consultant meant is if people earning $4000 pm in private sector suddently have to accept lower pay from junior level teacher than the mid-career professional will be short-changed.

R4g3

Alfrescian
Loyal
these people who jump into teaching is because of the market, not because they love to teach. If your child is taught by people like them, good luck. I guess they attract the wrong people for the job, same as our cabinet and mps.

Neh_Neh_Pok

Alfrescian
Loyal

Maybe the fella got alot of debts, loans and fees to pay off per month. Some pple don't have the big head want to wear a big hat :biggrin:

mscitw

Alfrescian
Loyal
financial con men who kenna shown e door after peddling minibonds can now ply their trade in state schools.

kulgai

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think what the consultant meant is if people earning $4000 pm in private sector suddently have to accept lower pay from junior level teacher than the mid-career professional will be short-changed.

No, the consultant is referring to mid or senior managers who probably earn $6k to $10k per mth. Obviously, these ppl will feel shortchanged.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
let them stay in their bloody job and get retrenched. once they are jobless for years they will wake up their fucking idea about their own actual value

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i think these so called consultants and managers over-value themselves! $4000 a month also complain! give me $1000 a month I'll be as happy as a lark!~~

ah_phah

Alfrescian
Loyal
the news is just a piece of hoax la. the reason y MOE now on a massive recruitment campaign now is cos, alota ppl who signed up for teaching tasted the poison behind the propaganda campaign sometime ago, and they're bailing out, tendering their letters seeking better prospects in other industries.

ppl who consider a career cross-over as teachers will inevitably start from zero. which means, its another wise move, to force ppl to settle for lower salary.

shallow minded idiots who really swap their careers will have their asses bust wide open, ripped poles apart. n when they complain, the gahmen will just say "u screwed yourself, nobody forced u", "you choose it with your eyes open wide", "ask not wat the cuntry can do for u, but wat u can do for the cuntry", "it's alraedy happened........ let's move on"

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are more teachers quitting every year than teachers joining. The MOE is like the SAF in many ways. Totally unlike how it's portrayed in the ads, full of petty bureaucrats and massive screw-ups, unconcerned for its original mission.

eQuipment

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are more teachers quitting every year than teachers joining. The MOE is like the SAF in many ways. Totally unlike how it's portrayed in the ads, full of petty bureaucrats and massive screw-ups, unconcerned for its original mission.
its also an avenue to recycle their useless SAF retirees, guaranteeing them of a 2nd career. it's utter nonsense that any organization has to offer 2nd careers for the contracted staff. (all SAF regulars are contracted staff - and the majority of them have gratuity when they complete their contracts)

gahmen spoonfeeding the useless.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is a thankless job becoming a teacher ok....long working hours - I know of one teacher who is still working despite now being holidays. And nowadays kids are like...wow....u cannot scold them, u cannot touch them lest their parents complain or worse, you find yourself on STOMP.

rickws8437

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think is a wrong move. Teaching has to be a passion. Teaching not only impart the knowledge of the textbooks to the students but only the values/ideals and essence of the knowledge itself. The interaction between the teachers and students have to be there in order to create the ambient environment to persue appropriate training. If people becomes teachers just to avoid being jobless, this element just won't be there. What's to stop these people from job hopping again once situation become better.

It a case of live to teach or teach to live, I suppose....

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think Foo was commenting profesionally i.e. he wasn't complaining about his own job. Then again, if he was doing his own job, these $10k people wouldn't have needed to settle for $4k in the first place.

Foo Chuan Yong, human resource consultant, said: "You have just one model to attract everybody when you need to customise the model to attract more applicants. You don't expect somebody who has 16 years, 18 years experience to come in to be a teacher at S$4,000. There is some unbalance in terms of benchmark in compensation and scope of work." ...

I'm sure Mr Foo would prefer to remain unemployed and wait for a $10,000 a month pay package for his new job. I hope the recession will get worse and people like Mr Foo will start begging for jobs even with no pay!!!

Singaporeans have too good a life! It's time they have a taste of what is being unemployed,jobless, no income and sick and lonely!!!

What consultant!!! $4000 and yet still want to complain!!! Chay!!!