• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Local school teacher and mother: Singapore's education system is a failure

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is not in my nature to be sarcastic. I was simply trying to be honest.
A person with a poor command of written English wouldn't know the correct tenses to use, or when to use in at on etc
It doesn't requires the usage of fanciful, power words in writing to proof one has a strong command of written English.
As the motto of sg once said - speaks well, be understood.
What is most important is still the correct usage of tenses and sentences.
I'm sorry to say your honesty was on the wrong path.
I'm not saying I have good English writing skills but not poor for sure.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
A person with a poor command of written English wouldn't know the correct tenses to use, or when to use in at on etc
It doesn't requires the usage of fanciful, power words in writing to proof one has a strong command of written English.
As the motto of sg once said - speaks well, be understood.
What is most important is still the correct usage of tenses and sentence.
I'm sorry to say your honesty was on the wrong path.
NEver mind...as long as u can read those technical paper and understand the concept , can ready.

I have certain degree of reading long wordy passage, i usually overcome that by rewriting key concept in flow chart or short key form

shock888

Alfrescian
Loyal
In SG, the school system is geared towards identifying the top 5 pc of students to be future civil service heads and ministers. Those who still think the SG education system is geared to bring out the best in each child is living in lalaland.
Best way to protect yourself and your family is to make money and invest, so that you can get out of the central planned SG system.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not a good one.
If I was or am poor with my English writing skills,. I wouldn't have passed gce oar level English.
Being poor and not very good at it are 2 different things.
Moi also no good mah...everytime is C6 since Sec1

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, C6 is a pass.. It simply means pass but not good or very good.
Poor means fail D7 E8 F9 de woh
Or else why do we need a grading systems?
C6 crush my dream to HwaChong.

So LL end up in SP...can go up hill to play SF2 :smile:

Free time stay in Canteen 6 to bio Tanya and other BA chiobu. Then, i realise my forte

Last edited:

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
IMHO what's more important to test a person's standards level of English is by testing their comprehension skills.
Someone here wrote something (if he is jab you will know why) and said I have poor comprehension.
Fuck this person deep deep.

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
A person with a poor command of written English wouldn't know the correct tenses to use, or when to use in at on etc It doesn't requires the usage of fanciful, power words in writing to proof one has a strong command of written English. As the motto of sg once said - speaks well, be understood. What is most important is still the correct usage of tenses and sentences. I'm sorry to say your honesty was on the wrong path. I'm not saying I have good English writing skills but not poor for sure.
It is hardly surprising that the majority of our young are not proficient at handling different varieties of the English language. After all, an estimated 50 per cent of households are ill equipped to support the use of Standard English.

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
IMHO what's more important to test a person's standards level of English is by testing their comprehension skills. Someone here wrote something (if he is jab you will know why) and said I have poor comprehension. Fuck this person deep deep.
Even though English is considered a global language, most Singaporeans appear to have command of less than 35% of the words in the lexicon. Adding Singlish into the mix serves only to confuse and hinder the learning of Standard English. This accounts for the lack of fluency in spoken English among the majority of adults, in spite of 10 years or more of instruction in an English-medium school environment. Generations of young Singaporeans enter the working world hampered by their inability to be understood globally.

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, C6 is a pass.. It simply means pass but not good or very good. Poor means fail D7 E8 F9 de woh Or else why do we need a grading systems?
All things being equal, we are far more likely to advance in our careers if we utter grammatically correct English without incorporating elements of Chinese and Malay into our speech.

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
So you were 1 of those with many As and crushed by "not good enough but not poor English" , like me :wink:
Proper spoken English instantly defines us as highly educated people whose views and opinions are taken more seriously. A strong command of the language is likely to lead to better paying jobs, greater social mobility as well as more social success.

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even though English is considered a global language, most Singaporeans appear to have command of less than 35% of the words in the lexicon. Adding Singlish into the mix serves only to confuse and hinder the learning of Standard English. This accounts for the lack of fluency in spoken English among the majority of adults, in spite of 10 years or more of instruction in an English-medium school environment. Generations of young Singaporeans enter the working world hampered by their inability to be understood globally.
I think we need to stop students from trying to imitate the amdk first in order to move on to progress with proper spoken English.
They tried too hard and resulted with inserting "I was like" into every conversations.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
In my world, we doesn't even need school teachers. If there is a need for one, this person just need to provide us proper notes. That's it. Why do we need another person to explain or read out things to you? Don't you have a mind to figure it out yourselves?
I swear to god I didn't needed any lecturers from the day I realised this later part of my academic life , and I have never failed in any subjects during exams, only that some subjects I wasn't so keen to do in depth figuring and didn't performed well enough only, and ace with others.
I have never attended lecturers in my final academic time after I realised this. Yes 0 lecture attended I swear. Tutorials is no choice as attendance are taken but I did not even open my ears in class.
Must be some liberal arts course.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fact is, students should select only the subjects they are keen on. If it's just three, so be it. No Point learning others.
By doing this, classes will be smaller and students easier to handle.

karizma

Alfrescian
Loyal
I’ve struggled a lot with Singapore’s education system, and I often feel like it’s failing students. The constant pressure and intense workload can be overwhelming. Thankfully, I found some relief by using an ib extended essay writing service which helps me manage the unbearable stress. It’s a lifeline that allows me to keep up with everything without burning out.

Last edited: