• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Discussion(No TCSS) - FTs, Whats Your Take On Them

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
You can't compare like that.

Then we were not a nation. It was a free for all. Once we have an elected govt and the status of citizenship, the elected govt is accountable to the people who elected them to serve them. Therefore, the elected govt must have the interests of its own citizens at heart when crafting and pushing thru ultra liberal immigration policies like that.

Look at the European countries, UK, Australia and U.S. There is resentment from the people when floods of immigrants are allowed in without proper management and scrutiny.

If these bums had come then, nobody would have the right to say anything. But now, we have. If we were wrong, why is the PAP now trying to exculpate itself from the loss in popularity?

If you are the SecGen of PAP now, you will also be very careful how you move fwd. From the comfortable perch in the wilderness of NZ, you can crow but we also remember how you ran away when the going got tough.

I've said my piece many times over. We are all immigrants. The only difference is the date of arrival.

Had the Brits not arrived, what would Singapore be like today?

Had the Chinese coolies and traders not arrived later and stayed on after the Brits left, what today's landscape be any different?

What right do the earlier arrivals have to condemn later arrivals when they were in exactly the same boat a generation or two ago?

Last edited:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
chonburifc said:
Give you my opinion.

Yes, I welcome GENUINE FTs who is able to make contributions in areas which the Sinkees are lacking. But not to the extent of any Ah Tiong, Ah Neh or Ah Pinay can come in so easily to take up PMET jobs which can be done by the locals. Why don't the pappies just follow what other countries are doing, own citizen first, other citizens, wait first. ?

I stay in Sin City and I know the pros and cons of having too much foreigners working in a country.

In the case of Sinking Land, pappies are consistently trying to fatten their wallets or Swiss bank accounts.

Seems to me a very honest opinion.

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with Sam that the community should speak up against obnoxious behaviors.

But the problem is that Singaporeans in general are either too timid, does not want trouble or attract attention by speaking out or they have poor communication skills (except when talking cock or complain sessions with their kakis). When they do speak out against obnoxious behaviors, its often in a aggressive, rude and angry tone............or they might just give people the dirty look, expecting people to decipher what they are trying to convey. The worst of its kind are those who will secretly take photos and post them in stomp

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am not involved in the day to day operations of my investments except recruitment and capital injections. My current staff strength is 30% FTs and 70% locals. I give my Thai managers the power to fire any FT who try to behave like a big fuck. The last farang I fired was only last week and she is a just a fucking Canadian who think think everyone is wrong except the Canadians. Too bad, she need to leave LOS within 7 days upon termination of her work permit which is next monday.

My local staff feel much motivated. My mistake of hiring the wrong FT and causing problems to other colleagues.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To prove what you think is right, would you dare to quit your current IT job without finding one and try hunting for a new IT post again?
This will give you a real feel of a pinch on how difficult it is to compete with FT on the same job based on the same qualification and experience. Try it out if you dare.

Actually I was looking for a new job a while backand got 2 offers with higher pay within a month. I know some industry have it really bad, IT isn't one of them

Last edited:

SeeingRED

Alfrescian
Loyal
Build a bigger lift.

Will you fund this 'bigger lift'?

How about when there is insufficient space for the 'bigger lifts'?
Are you proposing for Singaporeans to plaster our faces to the sides of the 'lift' so as to accommodate the FTs?

=> Limited space. Influx of FT from 2008 is the caused of current congestion & overcrowding.
=> Financing infrastructure to handle larger population will largely be drawn from higher transport fares/taxes, etc., which would not have been needed.

Last edited:

SeeingRED

Alfrescian
Loyal
... Its the dads job to whack some sense into him

WOW! :eek: does this mean that all Singaporeans who do not support PAP's pro-FT policies are 'losers'?

Singaporeans have changed.
A decade (or 2) ago, Singaporeans may maintain public silence (days where Singapore students are least vocal in lectures).
There is outright refusal of PAP to stop the campaign of 'Welcome FT'.

Ratio in my workplace is approximately 80% FT to 20% Singaporean.
Average productivity: FT not as good as Singaporean in daily tasks & project work
Leave (various types): FT takes more days than Singaporean

Last edited:

SeeingRED

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think the issue now is not to discuss about the reasons for low fertility rate. It is a fact of life now. The main point should rather be, without FT/immigrants, how are we going to face the challenges ahead of us?

Why is there a persistent thought that lower population = lower quality of life?

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
i am fine with them, be it blanga, prc, pinoys, vietcongs or Myanmar, etc...to fill in gaps that no sinkies want to do.but i am against of having them lead us. look at smrt and get what i mean! :rolleyes:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
erection2011 said:
those that can do important work that sinkies are not good at are also welcome.

Taken to the extreme, this can mean totally open borders. We have to decide whether we want to build a nation with a distinct Singapore character or just a international hub with a global mix who are here each individual's personal agenda. It is short-time versus long-time objectives. If we take a too ultilitarian approach to things, we may reap short term gain but no nation building. Somehow this Govt lacks ideas to tackle the population issue.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
the Govt can regulate ....these people who come in to work must be really needed in their industry .

For example in the early 70s after the MSA split....SIA needed foreign expertise to fly and maintain their planes. They would never have taken off otherwise. Similarly teaching....mostly ang mo teachers in the ealr/mid part of 20th century sinkiepoor.

After that then we rely on our own people.
These days its the same......where we can we should manage things ourselves...where we cant we need to seek foreign help until we can .

Taken to the extreme, this can mean totally open borders. We have to decide whether we want to build a nation with a distinct Singapore character or just a international hub with a global mix who are here each individual's personal agenda. It is short-time versus long-time objectives. If we take a too ultilitarian approach to things, we may reap short term gain but no nation building. Somehow this Govt lacks ideas to tackle the population issue.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
erection2011 said:
the Govt can regulate ....these people who come in to work must be really needed in their industry .

I know what you mean and it must be carried out as what you stated here but this govt can take things to the extreme which is as good as having no barrier to immigration. I feel even if Singaporeans are not the best at doing it, as long as there are Singaporeans willing to do it and this is in a non-tradable sector, we should give it to the Singaporean. I venture to even say that even if it is in a tradable sector, which means that it will have an impact on international competition some percentage advantage, say 5 to 10%, should be given to Singaporeans as long as there are takers. If we want Social cohesiveness and national pride and loyalty, this must be done.

Last edited:

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Hi guys, thanks for all the wonderful input. Even though there are a difference on the view of many people, I appreciates the thoughtful comments. This forum is capable of having a good debate. The surprising thing is, while this thread is running, those who had been making noise that the forum is only capable of streaming out nonsense, did not participate. What irony :rolleyes:
I have seen a few newcomers joining the debate in this thread. Special thanks to all of you. Cheers :biggrin:

getsmart101

Alfrescian
Loyal
For what fuck do we need PRCs , Ah Nehs and Peenoying when you can find dozens of talent from Mudland ?
Peenoying is totally produce nothing but shits just like ah nehs !

hi there

1. my take: never trust any fts!
2. don't marry but to bonk its gals ok!

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think better to let our own sinkies try first before getting others to fill in the position. unless, it's some rare exploration like going to outer space...haha...

those that can do important work that sinkies are not good at are also welcome.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Hi guys, thanks for all the wonderful input. Even though there are a difference on the view of many people, I appreciates the thoughtful comments. This forum is capable of having a good debate.

I've asked this question in many threads and got no satisfactory reply. The question is "What is Singapore culture?".

Many keep harping that foreigners are welcome provided they "adopt singapore culture". What exactly are they supposed to emulate?