• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SDP healthcare plan: Scrap Medisave and increase govt spending

Sadist

Alfrescian
Loyal
you get your proof when CSJ actually become PM.... but this is the logical conclusion of their plan....

you need to learn to see beyond the spin

meanwhile please read the 2 pdf file on why our medisave system rocks...

Haha, futuristic answer. How I wish it is true.

Nope! If you think I am goind to spend time reading some spin. I have better things to do.

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha, futuristic answer. How I wish it is true.

Nope! If you think I am goind to spend time reading some spin. I have better things to do.

woah studies by harvard school of public health is spin but hogwash by SDP isnt ???

i think i made my point about ur level of intellect...

I finally get it ... SDP pt is to appeal to dumb peasants while enriching themselves... how devious...

Areopagus

Alfrescian
Loyal
The two articles actually support the call to abolish Medisave as already by the mid-1990s, the limitations of Medisave were becoming apparent. It was an unsustainable system then and this has become even more so as it exacerbated healthcare cost inflation in Singapore as Prof Hsiao predicted in the second article you thoughtfully attached. Thanks

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
The two articles actually support the call to abolish Medisave as already by the mid-1990s, the limitations of Medisave were becoming apparent. It was an unsustainable system then and this has become even more so as it exacerbated healthcare cost inflation in Singapore as Prof Hsiao predicted in the second article you thoughtfully attached. Thanks

Did they have a control to show that health care did not rise as much had there been no medisave?

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
The SDP model is definite nonsense. It calls for a cut of more than 5 billion from defence, increase of corporate tax and introduction of luxury tax, all hallmarks of liberalism.

What happens when there is less stability, less investment and increased unemployment then? SDP propose even more luxury tax to increase the tax base and even less spending on defence?

Exactly. SDP thinks defence is cheap.

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal

at least soem 1 bother to read,.,,,

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Good observation and well said. Since medical insurance and savings were invented, medical costs rocketed through the atmosphere to space. The medical academia are very happy to support and charge more for medical education too. The doctors having spent hundreds of thousands on their education are pressured to recover their costs too. So they felt no qualms about jacking up their fees as high as the medical insurance system can take.

Sorry can't up the points you deserve since just upped you recently.

I hope you reach 1,000 points soon. You are much more deserving than Alamaking, in my opinion. I mean, your quality of opinion is so much better.

Insurance will lead to escalating medical costs? Insurance is merely a way of pooling resources. The users pay premiums. Those who remain healthy pay for those who fall ill. The insurance company cannot pay doctors more than what they collect in premiums. In fact, part of the premiums go into company profits. If medical costs escalate, then premiums must go up in order for the user to enjoy the same level of financial coverage. It is therefore increased medical costs that lead to increasing insurance premiums, not the other way round.

Lets say there are no insurance instead. The medical costs are dictated by supply and demand. But because the wealthy can afford it, they will ensure that costs never fall below a certain level. This would mean the poor will not be able to afford it. Because there is no pooling of premiums via an insurance mechanism, the poor are denied medical treatment.

Bottom line: insurance does not increase cost. It is demand that increases cost. Medical cost is rising because of demand, not because of insurance.

liongsum

Alfrescian
Loyal

It is unsustainable if left to escalate without limit.
But at some point, demand will naturally slacken for the simple reason that it is unsustainable.
Increasing healthcare expenditure is a given if we want medicine at the cutting edge of technology. Medisave and medishield is one reason our doctors are paid better than plumbers.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Insurance will lead to escalating medical costs? Insurance is merely a way of pooling resources. The users pay premiums. Those who remain healthy pay for those who fall ill. The insurance company cannot pay doctors more than what they collect in premiums. In fact, part of the premiums go into company profits. If medical costs escalate, then premiums must go up in order for the user to enjoy the same level of financial coverage. It is therefore increased medical costs that lead to increasing insurance premiums, not the other way round.

Lets say there are no insurance instead. The medical costs are dictated by supply and demand. But because the wealthy can afford it, they will ensure that costs never fall below a certain level. This would mean the poor will not be able to afford it. Because there is no pooling of premiums via an insurance mechanism, the poor are denied medical treatment.

Bottom line: insurance does not increase cost. It is demand that increases cost. Medical cost is rising because of demand, not because of insurance.

Do you and have you owned a car and involved in accident before? If you have, then you'll know how mechanics and workshops jack up the claims since insurance is covering. Insurance companies are not stupid moneytrees with moneyfruits for them to pluck too. They'll in turn jack up the premiums. In the end, safe drivers who never need to claim subsidize the reckless drivers. Same as for medical insurance. I don't want to go into essay or thesis on this analogy. Trust you'll figure it out.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Do you and have you owned a car and involved in accident before? If you have, then you'll know how mechanics and workshops jack up the claims since insurance is covering. Insurance companies are not stupid moneytrees with moneyfruits for them to pluck too. They'll in turn jack up the premiums. In the end, safe drivers who never need to claim subsidize the reckless drivers. Same as for medical insurance. I don't want to go into essay or thesis on this analogy. Trust you'll figure it out.

So just because a few people abuse the system, you'd rather that the poor go without proper healthcare? Cao Cao mentality?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So just because a few people abuse the system, you'd rather that the poor go without proper healthcare? Cao Cao mentality?

Even Cao Cao gave free medical care to his poor people in State of Wei. The only thing Cao Cao did against the medical profession was the execution of Dr. Hua Tuo who recommended brain surgery. It was too incredulous for Cao Cao to believe in that era and he thought it was an assassination attempt in diguuise.

And no, I don't want the poor to go without proper medical care. I also don't want the poor to be burdened with compulsory medical savings and medical premiums. The state from its tax revenue from the wealthy should be foot the bill, for with poor peaseants slogging until sick, many at the top can't get wealthy.

Windsor2012

Alfrescian
Loyal
The quality of healthcare for ordinary people has gone down to a level that I would consider as perfunctory at best. In the last decade we see the Polyclinics are over-burdened with long queues of patients waiting to see the doctors. Sometimes the waiting time can stretched beyond 2 hours or more. Most of the doctors are either young or they are foreigners. I have to qualify the aforesaid in stating that doctors long in practice do know more than young doctors who recently completed their housemanship, therefore making visits to the polyclinics a waste of time if one has a more serious health issue than a common cold.

The cost has gone higher with the quality of healthcare deteriorating, but it appears the government is much happier in defence expenditures and increasing the defence budget annually. In doing so, our friendly neighbours will also follow suit and then we will start having an arms race. Instead of leading S. E. Asia's defence expenditures, why are we not following? Being so small, no matter how much defence equipment we have and how up-to-date they might be, the chances of Singapore surviving a war is close to nil. It is not simply a matter of losing a territory and regrouping and launch a counter-attack as we only have one territory to defend whilst any of our large neighbours' palm oil estate is larger than Singapore and they have hundreds if not thousands of them. That, in a nutshell is how big we are in comparison.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
And no, I don't want the poor to go without proper medical care. I also don't want the poor to be burdened with compulsory medical savings and medical premiums. The state from its tax revenue from the wealthy should be foot the bill, for with poor peaseants slogging until sick, many at the top can't get wealthy.

So you suppork SDP healthcare plan?

CheesePie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Even Cao Cao gave free medical care to his poor people in State of Wei. The only thing Cao Cao did against the medical profession was the execution of Dr. Hua Tuo who recommended brain surgery. It was too incredulous for Cao Cao to believe in that era and he thought it was an assassination attempt in diguuise.

Cannot be. He has been idle in this forum.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So you suppork SDP healthcare plan?

Sorry, what's SDP healthcare plan? Anyway, people who benefitted more from society should give back more to society to help people who benefitted less. That's my point. Medical savings and insurance is poor or rich, all take care of yourselves. It makes the poor poorer even before getting sick, see the point?

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
Exactly. SDP thinks defence is cheap.

While I agree that defence is not cheap, I somehow believe that our doctrine and budget has exceeded the definition of self-defence. We are just a small dot and we are spending 1/4 the amount India spends on defence.

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
While I agree that defence is not cheap, I somehow believe that our doctrine and budget has exceeded the definition of self-defence. We are just a small dot and we are spending 1/4 the amount India spends on defence.

It is exactly because we are a small dot that we need to spend heavily on defence.
Singapore is small and has no natural resources like oil, food, minerals etc. What makes us attractive to investors is stability. W/o stability we are worthless to teh world and everything will simply collapse around us. We can even starve to death when instability hits.
Its so easy to destabilise a small country with weak defence. Thats why its worth spending on defence to prevent threats and instability.