• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Valid and helpful observation.

Dont get too carried away , always remember it is all about JB living . We are here for sweet and afforable living . I think it is wrong to use SG property as a reference point when we are talking about JB property , it is really very different market leh .
A more acurate reference point might be JB city or at best KL properties .

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have been to 10 Shelford showroom and was told that a conservative 500+ sq feet 1 bed-room apartment is going for almost S$1 million. But cant compare la cos 10 Shelford is in prime Bukit Timah district and 1KM from Nanyang Pri and Raffles Girls Primary School. For a kiasu parent like me, I would pay S$1 million for a 500+ sq feet condo in Bukit Timah anytime over a S$1 million 5000 sq feet bungalow with swimming pool in East Ledang. I guess education remains a top pirority for my kids.

Why not just a neighourhood school ? I would spent 200K for a HDB and 800K for other more meaningful things for everyone in the family. I think my 3 daughters are doing reasonably well despite studying in neighourhood school. Always top 10 in school , I think they might get last in class if they were in Raffles .

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Causeway jam that could have been avoided
New Straits Times
Wed, Jun 08, 2011

IT took five-and-a-half hours for me to drive through a 5km stretch before reaching the Malaysian Immigration checkpoint at the Sultan Abu Bakar building in Tanjung Kupang, near Gelang Patah.

Such was the traffic jam that was experienced by my bureau chief Shahrum Sayuthi and I last Saturday afternoon.

We were making our way back from an assignment in Singapore, and neither of us could recall experiencing a worse traffic snarl on leaving the island republic by road in the past.

It was just not enough to say that we were moving at a snail's pace when describing our frustration and that of hundreds of other motorists and passengers.

"I could have probably reached Kuantan by now," said Shahrum after we finally reached the counter, which was manned by a female Immigration Department staff.

She looked busy, handling the travel forms of a Singaporean driver who was ahead of me. The man had parked his vehicle at a lay-by at the Customs, Immigration and Quarantine (CIQ) complex.

A notice on the counter's glass window directed foreign drivers and passengers to get down and proceed to another counter to have their fingerprints taken.

This move, which began on June 1, is being implemented at 96 entry points nationwide as part of a new biometric identification system for foreigners. It was put in place to curb trans-boundary crime such as drug and human trafficking, money laundering and terrorism.

Previously, foreigners needed only to have their passports stamped to enter Malaysia.

The new system was put in place smack in the middle of the Malaysian school holidays. That Saturday was also the start of Singapore's school holidays, so the weekend crowd entering Johor that day had probably doubled.

Tempers flared among drivers and passengers as they had to wait between 90 minutes and five hours for Immigration clearance.

This forced them to change, or scrap their holiday plans.

It was worse at the Second Link, which is the more under-utilised facility compared with the Causeway.

Things did not improve on Sunday either, as there was congestion on the Malaysia-bound lane at the Causeway.

The glaring problem here was the absence of a back-up plan to cope with the new procedure.

I am sure the Immigration Department could have anticipated the large number of travellers during the school holidays and the snags that usually come with the introduction of a new system.

We are not only talking about drivers like myself. Ninety per cent of the vehicles at the Second Link that Saturday were Singaporean-registered and they were mostly families with children in tow.

Many got out of their vehicles to pour water into their radiators as the engines heated up, or to get a smoke. Many also walked the few kilometres to the CIQ complex in Tanjung Kupang either for a toilet break or a cool respite from the afternoon sun. Some began blaring their car horns out of frustration after waiting so long.

In response, Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein described the glitches that happened at the Johor entry points as something temporary.

He had said the system had only been in place for a few days, and steps were being taken to rectify the problem.

Immigration Department director-general Datuk Alias Ahmad had said that the long waiting period was because the system was moving towards stabilisation.

Let's hope immediate steps would be taken by the government and the Immigration Department to ensure that the problem is addressed quickly.

In this case, the saying holds true: failure to plan is planning to fail.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Biometric system 'will be fixed'
New Straits Times
Mon, Jun 06, 2011

By M. Hamzah Jamaludin

MARAN (Malaysia) - The glitches in the biometric fingerprint scanning device at entry points in Johor on Saturday are temporary because the security system has been implemented only for a few days, Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein said yesterday. Stressing that the system was very important for national security, he gave an assurance that the problem would be solved soon.

"We will do everything to ensure that the problem will not recur," he said after opening the Maran Umno divisional meeting here. Present was Maran Umno chief Datuk Tan Mohd Aminuddin Ishak.

There were long queues at the two Customs, Immigration and Quarantine checkpoints in Johor Baru on Saturday when the system had problems coping with the large number of tourists. They had to wait at least 90 minutes for Immigration clearance and the delay forced many of them to change or scrap their holiday plans.

Hishammuddin said he would continue to monitor the situation and share information with countries which had used similar system, adding that the biometric scanning was still at an early stage and needed time to integrate with other existing system.

He said the system was implemented to help reduce illegal activities relating to the borderless world, including drug and human trafficking, money laundering and terrorism.

-New Straits Times

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
M'sian Minister: We'll solve border jam
The Star/Asia News Network
Mon, Jun 06, 2011

MARAN: Efforts are being made to iron out the flaws of Johor Baru Customs, Immigration and Quarantine (CIQ) checkpoint's new biometric security system to ensure that no more chaos occurs, Home Minister Datuk Seri His_hammuddin Hussein said.

He added that the fingerprint scanning system, one of the causes which had stranded thousands of tourists recently, still needed time to be stabilised.

"I am receiving daily reports of movement at the Singapore-Johor border and it is still within our capacity to overcome the problem," he said after opening the Maran Umno meeting at Pekan Tajau here yesterday.

It was reported that the system, which was launched on Wednes_day, had trouble coping with the huge influx of tourists and holidaymakers coming in from Singa__pore due to school holidays and the weekend.

Hishammuddin said the implementation of the system was an important step in ensuring the country's safety in a globalised world.

"Terrorism, drug and human trafficking are connected with one another.

"Therefore, the immigration security system has to be tightened," he said.

Immigration Department director-general Datuk Alias Ahmad said it had already opened over 120 counters at both the CIQ and the Second Link.

"The massive jam is mostly due to the public holiday and other minor setbacks as we have just introduced this system," he said, adding that the system would continue despite complaints.

In Johor, motorists, mostly Singaporeans, entering Malaysia via the Second Link and the Johor Causeway were left frustrated for a second day with some having to wait up to seven hours.

Singaporean Tam Choon Hong, 40, said the system was a hassle because both motorists and passengers had to get out of their cars to have their thumbprints scanned.

"It takes about five minutes for each person to get out, walk to the booth, queue and have their th_umbprints taken electronically," he said.

Singaporean teacher Sabariah Ahmad said she only managed to cross the Second Link after six hours despite queuing since 11am.

Meanwhile, Australian expatriate Rochelle Hulst, 43, said the Immigration Department should have studied the problems that could arise.

-The Star/Asia News Network

mallow

Alfrescian
Loyal
I cant get rid of the Caterpillars leh.... The Neem spray does not seem to work on them. I dun wanna use anything that is not natural.. Small patch easier to prepare the ground/soil/change soil/plant/manure and water.
Hi AP - long time. Cathy is right about the food chain/birds... add butterflies since that is what comes after the fat caterpillars.
Naturalists hand pick them off, gently without hurting them, then leave them on some other green plant or tree away from your plants. Not, of course, an unsuspecting neighbour's. Use gloves if squeamish.
I am very annoyed at how caterpillars just LOVE my lime and lemon bushes. A few days and a promising little bush can be devastated. C'est la vie ... food chain.
So vigilance and 'go in peace' seems to be the best way, since they will be there long after we become fodder ourselves.

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all

Exchange rate today near shell ciq is 243.5rm altho display rate 240rm. 15mins to clear jb custom at 2.30pm. No thumbprint taken to date for us. Fyi my wife, daughter n i have macs but not my two sons.

With regards to renting to Indian ft, i had a former colleague who last time rented out the whole hse to indian tenant but lock 1 room. It was when u r not allowed to rent whole hse. Guess wat happen? This ft fr india knew the law and after a couple of mths refused to pay rent and chqllenge my fren to report cos he said my fren will be in trouble with the spore law!! the cheek of this idiot! In the end the only way is for my fren to confess to hdb abt it. Of cos my fren was fined by hdb. But managed to evict the ft fr india at a high price in d end.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all

Exchange rate today near shell ciq is 243.5rm altho display rate 240rm. 15mins to clear jb custom at 2.30pm. No thumbprint taken to date for us. Fyi my wife, daughter n i have macs but not my two sons.

With regards to renting to Indian ft, i had a former colleague who last time rented out the whole hse to indian tenant but lock 1 room. It was when u r not allowed to rent whole hse. Guess wat happen? This ft fr india knew the law and after a couple of mths refused to pay rent and chqllenge my fren to report cos he said my fren will be in trouble with the spore law!! the cheek of this idiot! In the end the only way is for my fren to confess to hdb abt it. Of cos my fren was fined by hdb. But managed to evict the ft fr india at a high price in d end.

If I were your friend , I would spent a few thousands and get some holigans to "teach" these Indian FTs a hard lesson.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
for those with internet at home (in Malaysia), I suggest the following:
1. get yourself a Basic account at pfingo.com which gives you a Singapore number (this is about $2/mth)
2. buy a Siemens VoIP DECT phone (a cheap one is less than $200 now) and install in Malaysia
3. register the pfingo account to your DECT phone
4. Forward your mobile number to the pfingo number (charged at your local Singapore calling rate)

When people call your Singapore number, your DECT phone will ring. (this basically works anywhere in the world)
*note, you will have to pay for your data charges in Malaysia, unless it is unlimited.
DECT coverage is pretty good usually, so big house also no issue (unless 3 story kind of building).
No worry about booster amplifying the signal power (which I dun like too)

Only $2 per month, sounds good leh, cheaper than skype i think...i used skype on pc-to-pc before and it is quite clear...recently tried another iphone application RoamAside for calling Singapore using data network, pretty clear reception too...

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is lots of radiation out body is already exposed to on a daily basis especially cause of the number of cellphones in our home.

In addition turning on bluetooth, or accessing wifi also leaves you susceptible to radiation.

Apart from radiation from electronic devices (and you have plenty of them at home) you also have natural radiation which varies depending on which part of the planet you live in.

Finally you are also exposed to the magnetic fields around you.

In simple terms any current carrying conductor (eg wire) has a magnetic field around it.

Just imagine how many magnetic fields you are exposed to.

Its simply not possible to mitigate the risks posed by technology. How to not use DVD players, Fridge, TV, washing machine, iron box etc....???

for home repeaters the radiation should not be greater than 0.1 watt.

in addition steps can be taken to ensure that the surroundings around you can absorb radiation. There are methods.

Err I was referring to radiation from telecom antenna, not the magnetic field from home appliances like DVD player, washing machine etc. Yes, all electric current generate magnetic field, however, radiation is alot more harmful than the magnetic field from these appliances. Eg. a microwave that has leakage of radiation can cook the kidney of somebody standing close and long enough, while the magnetic field from the electric current going into the mcrowave is relatively harmless.

Just googled and found that a cell phone repeater is indeed a telecom antenna..."a device used to boost the cell phone reception to the local area by the usage of a reception antenna, a signal amplifier and an internal rebroadcast antenna."

Below is a link that I saved from previous reading regarding harmful effects of radiation. There are two sentences that are worth pondering:
"The closer to a radiating antenna, the higher the health risk there is."
"Since this is a multi billion dollar industry, it is very unlikely the public will be told about the health hazards of cell phones."

Oh the article also shows photos of hidden telecom tower as pine trees etc, can see many such "pine trees" in Malaysia too, usually near water tank and sometimes next to the expressway.

www.rense.com/general56/rad.htm

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
nothing against Malaysians.... but I had very bad experience renting units out to them...

My mum had a shop house when I was younger and so we all shifted to stay in the shophouse, and rented out the HDB unit to a group of Malaysians.

At the end of the 3 year tenure... I dun even dare to go into the toilet to pee...
Had to do a full renovation to get it into livable condition again...

Yes, i rented my unit to a Malaysian lady before, she was a professional working in a large MNC here and supposedly pretty highly paid since posted to Singapore from China where she was previously based. She cooked alot and didn't clean up the kitchen and when she returned the apartment to me, the kitchen sink and bath tub both choked and floor had food debris. From my experience, Japanese tenants are the best, they are very clean.

Last edited:

mallow

Alfrescian
Loyal
While expats in Singapore may not know all the lobangs to make life less expensive, the cost of living is still remarkable for we Singaporeans.
Truly, the move here is a relief.

S'PORE NOW SIXTH MOST EXPENSIVE LOCATION IN ASIA FOR EXPATS
-------------------------------------------

SINGAPORE - The continued strength of the Singapore dollar has pushed the Republic up to sixth place on the list of the most expensive locations in Asia for expatriates to live, according to the latest Cost of Living survey from ECA International.

Read more at http://newsletter.todayonline.com/cgi-bin28/DM/t/eBk60DFZD0Ce0VSn0Ef

hangyong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey guys a bit strange here.. When someone posted, I will get an email reminder in my email and when I clicked to access, sometimes I cant find the message in the thread. Was it deleted or? Cos its the 2nd time in 2 days.

its likely that the person is still under moderation, so its not shown in the page.

Is the person's post still below 10?

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think u are quite right on these! My wife who is a Malaysian wants her 5 siblings etc and her niece, nephew etc to move in to my house in Horizon Hills at one point. Thats about 15 of them. And she was complaining that the rooms aint enough. What a joke. I buy house for my family end up must share with ALL of them. Had a big quarrel over this

Kampong spirit? :biggrin:

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi AP - long time. Cathy is right about the food chain/birds... add butterflies since that is what comes after the fat caterpillars.
Naturalists hand pick them off, gently without hurting them, then leave them on some other green plant or tree away from your plants. Not, of course, an unsuspecting neighbour's. Use gloves if squeamish.
I am very annoyed at how caterpillars just LOVE my lime and lemon bushes. A few days and a promising little bush can be devastated. C'est la vie ... food chain.
So vigilance and 'go in peace' seems to be the best way, since they will be there long after we become fodder ourselves.

Good, environment friendly, peace loving way of settling the problem. I do that with coakcroaches, ants and other insects in my house too. I find it most effective too.

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why not just a neighourhood school ? I would spent 200K for a HDB and 800K for other more meaningful things for everyone in the family. I think my 3 daughters are doing reasonably well despite studying in neighourhood school. Always top 10 in school , I think they might get last in class if they were in Raffles .

Actually it is the most effective way of boosting their self esteem. No amount of tuitions can be more effective then a self-motivated child with a fire up their belly.

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe different parents have different expectations. My father-in-law had 5 children of which only 1-2 are working at any point in time. His youngest son is already 20 year old and bumming around not working or studying. He even needs me to take care of him when he got 5 adult children because he dint bother about educating kids. Now 60+, he still needs to leave for work at 5am in the morning to make a live. Poor man.

Or maybe he was just too busy with work and his wife did not try to ignite the childrens interest in other fields when she founded out that the children was just not good at studying?

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I were your friend , I would spent a few thousands and get some holigans to "teach" these Indian FTs a hard lesson.

Can't do that in Singapore lah, can get into trouble. Better to go the safe way, still pay the same few thousands mah.... :smile:

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, i rented my unit to a Malaysian lady before, she was a professional working in a large MNC here and supposedly pretty highly paid since posted to Singapore from China where she was previously based. She cooked alot and didn't clean up the kitchen and when she returned the apartment to me, the kitchen sink and bath tub both choked and floor had food debris. From my experience, Japanese tenants are the best, they are very clean.

I once work in a company, the whole building is 2rooms and 3 rooms flat, all rented to Japanese. Fully furnished and cleaning and maintenance included. Boy, you should have been there to listen to all the cleaning ladies gossips about what they found in the apartments.....:biggrin:

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Err I was referring to radiation from telecom antenna, not the magnetic field from home appliances like DVD player, washing machine etc. Yes, all electric current generate magnetic field, however, radiation is alot more harmful than the magnetic field from these appliances. Eg. a microwave that has leakage of radiation can cook the kidney of somebody standing close and long enough, while the magnetic field from the electric current going into the mcrowave is relatively harmless.

Just googled and found that a cell phone repeater is indeed a telecom antenna..."a device used to boost the cell phone reception to the local area by the usage of a reception antenna, a signal amplifier and an internal rebroadcast antenna."

Below is a link that I saved from previous reading regarding harmful effects of radiation. There are two sentences that are worth pondering:
"The closer to a radiating antenna, the higher the health risk there is."
"Since this is a multi billion dollar industry, it is very unlikely the public will be told about the health hazards of cell phones."

Oh the article also shows photos of hidden telecom tower as pine trees etc, can see many such "pine trees" in Malaysia too, usually near water tank and sometimes next to the expressway.

www.rense.com/general56/rad.htm

Then how about modems and wireless router? Any comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.