• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Sg Reddit] - Singaporean living in South Korea dulan that most South Koreans look down on Singapore

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
jaydenis430 :

I am currently living in South korea and I always encounter people who kinda look down on Singapore. Many people have asked me " don't people use motorcycles there for transportation " " did you come here to change your citizenship " etc.

A lot of people don't believe that Singapore is a first world nation just because it is located in South East Asia. And people just think it's a city in vietnam or indonesia. Some people are quite hostile by the fact that Singaporeans are ethnic chinese/indian/malays. They don't respect us as much as Europeans or Americans.

People that have some knowledge about Singapore view sg as "jjangke country" ( jjangke is a derogatory term for chinese in korean) or a backward nation run by a dictator.

I guess my experience would have been very similar to those who live in Europe for work. Usually Americans that I have met were nice and they were more open to the idea that a first world nation actually exists in South East Asia.

From my personal experience, very few people outside of high finance industry have heard about Singapore. Singapore is not a place that is well known among "normal people" around the world and hence the stigma that Singapore is a third world nation like the rest of ASEAN. Sadly, nothing will change until ASEAN becomes developed and I can't see a future where ASEAN becomes just as developed as Japan or South Korea.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Typical snowflake who revels in victimhood and believes having one's fragile feelings hurt by someone else is the greatest sin. :rolleyes:

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
1707345405657.png

No problem with tony. South koreans love him.

millim6868

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sg is first world? Lol, it's a 3rd world, papigs life style is 1st world,look at woody son ,already 246mil ,already 1st world

superpower

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sad that one's self-esteem is tied to what others think of you.

When I was in South Korea in 2005, it felt like a developing nation, probably on a par with M'sia. Cost of living (food, cars, housing, transport) was about 30% lower than Sg. Roads were clogged and dusty, highways were shit, no high rise buildings, people spoke loudly with crass mannerisms. Lotto Park was the only major theme park. All they had to show was shooting locales for their burgeoning K-drama industry (Jewel in The Palace, Winter Sonata, etc).

Even today, their per capita GDP is lower than ours. But cost of living has almost crept up to ours.

But what does it matter?

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even today, their per capita GDP is lower than ours. But cost of living has almost crept up to ours.
But hyundai is now third largest auto group.it wasnt way back in 2005.
And south korea overtook japan in lng technology. From shipbuilding to floating processing plant.
And their entertainment industry went ballistic.

superpower

Alfrescian
Loyal
But hyundai is now third largest auto group.it wasnt way back in 2005.
And south korea overtook japan in lng technology. From shipbuilding to floating processing plant.
And their entertainment industry went ballistic.
Yes, they've come a long way, esp technologically. But the people's mentality has lagged behind, still in the middle ages: male chauvinism still prevails, rampant workplace sexism, widespread domestic abuse fuelled by shoju, chaebol-government collusion, high suicide rates, insane educational pressure on kids that make Japan and China look like Montessori, peasant mannerisms, pub brawls in Itaewon every night, extreme obsession with physical appearance resulitng in 80% of women going under the knife, and a degree of xenophobia and ignorance you don't see in most developed nations except in the US deep South.

Takes 3 generations to change a culture, regardless of economic development.

Beria

Alfrescian
Loyal
jaydenis430 :

I am currently living in South korea and I always encounter people who kinda look down on Singapore. Many people have asked me " don't people use motorcycles there for transportation " " did you come here to change your citizenship " etc.

A lot of people don't believe that Singapore is a first world nation just because it is located in South East Asia. And people just think it's a city in vietnam or indonesia. Some people are quite hostile by the fact that Singaporeans are ethnic chinese/indian/malays. They don't respect us as much as Europeans or Americans.

People that have some knowledge about Singapore view sg as "jjangke country" ( jjangke is a derogatory term for chinese in korean) or a backward nation run by a dictator.

I guess my experience would have been very similar to those who live in Europe for work. Usually Americans that I have met were nice and they were more open to the idea that a first world nation actually exists in South East Asia.

From my personal experience, very few people outside of high finance industry have heard about Singapore. Singapore is not a place that is well known among "normal people" around the world and hence the stigma that Singapore is a third world nation like the rest of ASEAN. Sadly, nothing will change until ASEAN becomes developed and I can't see a future where ASEAN becomes just as developed as Japan or South Korea.

Who gives a shit about what some slant-eyed Kimchi munching zipperhead nigger thinks about Singapore? Singapore will always be numbah wan!

birdie69

Alfrescian
Loyal
jaydenis430 :

Please provide 10 good reasons why Singaporeans deserved the respect?
Look at your country and your countrymen before you can come out any reason!

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, they've come a long way, esp technologically. But the people's mentality has lagged behind, still in the middle ages: male chauvinism still prevails, rampant workplace sexism, widespread domestic abuse fuelled by shoju, chaebol-government collusion, high suicide rates, insane educational pressure on kids that make Japan and China look like Montessori, peasant mannerisms, pub brawls in Itaewon every night, extreme obsession with physical appearance resulitng in 80% of women going under the knife, and a degree of xenophobia and ignorance you don't see in most developed nations except in the US deep South.

Takes 3 generations to change a culture, regardless of economic development.
I believe japan is no different when it comes to treating women except maybe less violently. Wife eats dinner separately from husband.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sad that one's self-esteem is tied to what others think of you.

When I was in South Korea in 2005, it felt like a developing nation, probably on a par with M'sia. Cost of living (food, cars, housing, transport) was about 30% lower than Sg. Roads were clogged and dusty, highways were shit, no high rise buildings, people spoke loudly with crass mannerisms. Lotto Park was the only major theme park. All they had to show was shooting locales for their burgeoning K-drama industry (Jewel in The Palace, Winter Sonata, etc).

But what does it matter?
Their gdp maybe lower. But their exports are way hihger. And their manufacturing prowess only now being challenged by china.

superpower

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe japan is no different when it comes to treating women except maybe less violently. Wife eats dinner separately from husband.
Yes. The Japs are also MCPS. There's a glass ceiling in most Japanese companies and MNCs for women, unless you're the daughter of the founder.

Even today, women in Japanese companies are reduced to serving tea to their bosses and clients.

It's part of the Confucianist culture (Confucius himself actually did not denigrate women). China rid itself of this pernicious aspect feudalism, thanks to Communism. One of the few positive aspects of communism is gender equality and female empowerment. That's why Chinese women consistently win more gold medals on the world sporting stage than their men, who have become soft after the revolution.

Last edited:

superpower

Alfrescian
Loyal
Their gdp maybe lower. But their exports are way hihger. And their manufacturing prowess only now being challenged by china.
The other way round: China is the world's largest manufacturer by far, making up 28.4% of the total global manufacturing output, which adds a total value of nearly $4 trillion to the world economy. Korea only ranks #6, below India

Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 10.57.28 AM.png

tobelightlight

Alfrescian
Loyal
First world citizens know how to fight for their rights and sovereignty. Sinkies are ball-less 3rd world crap. When minister make mistake and affect population life badly, did Singaporeans push the minister to resign? First world , u need to fight and make effort to maintain it and they are ever ready activists to protect their rights and society.

Are Singaporeans an ever ready activist to defend their rights? First world country with first world citizens placed personal rights as their priority and laws are set with this consideration. Having a relative high GDP does not make you first world.

this is an example of a REAL first world citizen in a real first world country.

Last edited: