• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

austin_hts

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all

Suggest we start a list on recommended eateries -

Restaurants / Eateries

1. Meng Meng Roasted Duck, Austin Heights. New branch open recently. Great mix plate (duck, pork, char siew - RM9 per pax. Big portions RM18 good for 3 pax) and a variety of herbal soups.

2. Zhi Char (will provide name later), Setia Indah. Very popular, clean and good food.

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cathy, have you been to the Giant at Bukit Indah? There is a shop there that sells water filter with several packages which incls. the filter and other type of dispensers packaged together starting from RM 1800. Had the brochure a couple of days ago when I visited Giant. I'm afraid I've thrown it away....... It's upstairs opposite the Supermarket......

I went to JB to hunt for a water filter yesterday. 2 option to consider now.

1. I went to Sutera Mall and got this. Buy and external sand filter tank and another 6 filter internal ones for water consumption at the kitchen. Total package RM2028. But their filters don't give negative ions.

2. Buy an external filter tank from Sutera Mall for RM 1650. Then buy from Cosway at Setia Tropika Livistonia Square another 8 filter internal ones for water consumption at the kitchen for RM325 including membership.

The salesman at Sutera Mall are saying that Cosway's filters are made in China and theirs made in Korea. And their negative ions are artificial. I have my doubts but I really hated saleman who over zealous in talking down other's people's products. It shows that they are not confident of their own product at all. Now I'm still considering.

Bros and Sis here, if for you, which option would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance for your kind participations. :smile:

mallow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi mallow, any link to the news of the spate of roberries in Telok Kurau Singapore(just in case some Singaporeans think that Telok Kurau is in Malaysia)?

Sorry, not that I know of. The information was from a friend and neighbour who is in the security industry in Singapore.

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
Better safe than sooooorry...... LATER..... In the U.K. and the U.S. where one is suppossedly able to drink from the tap SAFELY, it was discovered that there were 'impurities' in the water that would make you 'very sick' i.e. fecal remanants and microbes..... I have ALWAYS filtered my water whichever country we were posted to after having lived over there for several years and reading how the water supply wasn't exactly as safe as it was suppose to be!!!!!

Is that really so important to install a water filter in Johor unless you plan to drink tap water?

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is that really so important to install a water filter in Johor unless you plan to drink tap water?

I plan to move in so the most important thing now is to have consumable water source. If water cannot be drank direct from the tap then I think a water filter is a neccessity. The only thing is which one to chose from.

Last edited:

mallow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Erm ... received a private note on another matter. My answer might be helpful to readers here too:

We did build our own house, and it was Not a happy experience as we had two hopeless contractors, and the architect was suggested by the first contractor. Check out some more detailed advice/experience on this at my weblog: http://www.puterim.com/joomla/index...ild-your-own-home&catid=25:property&Itemid=29

That does not mean you should not buy land and build your own home - many have done so with success and minimal nonsense. We were kuda baru and in a bit of a rush, also making the prime error of renting a house from the first contractor [Singaporean] while enduring the horror of it all.

Security is Very Important, in your home and in public. Nothing as horrific as is made out by those not already living here, but it appears to me that only Singaporeans think they are entirely secure of person. Even that is a fallacy, as I have found out as I gather information for a new website {Sunemesis] to be dedicated entirely to prevention/avoidance - endurance - recovery from theft and robbery. One positive way of coping with the trauma of what we endured - still not over it but determined the mothers' evil will have at least some positive outcome.

There is plenty enough of crime in Singapore - and anywhere elsewhere in the world people know how to guard their bodies and belongings. We used to leave our home door unlocked in Siglap. But that is pure ignorance and being naive. While we were doing that, Singapore apartment owners had triple locks and grilles with additional padlocks. And with so many people now crowded into the island, not to speak of tourists and gamblers, not everyone is a virtuous saint. It behoves everyone to be smart and sensible about crime prevention.

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cathy, have you been to the Giant at Bukit Indah? There is a shop there that sells water filter with several packages which incls. the filter and other type of dispensers packaged together starting from RM 1800. Had the brochure a couple of days ago when I visited Giant. I'm afraid I've thrown it away....... It's upstairs opposite the Supermarket......

Thanks Grago. Will check it out soon.

Skippy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks Grago. Will check it out soon.

Hi Cathylmg,
Personally, the water filter is quite essential, knowing that the water from the tap may not be safe to drink. Just a sharing since i was at the homefair lately.
Diamond one of the brand promoted their package for both external and free the normal in house warm & cold water dispenser for about Rm 2 over k nearly 3K (if i may recall correctly so cos it didint interest me). She also mentioned about servicing the set at RM50 per visit seems like per year. My kind friend who bought their set with GE instead paid only $1600 for 10 pple usuage but a self service washing need to be done once per week. For filter change only once every 5 years for about 500+.
It really depends on your usuge and no. of pple living in the house as you would not want to over run the filter not under utilised it. it's good to shop around to find the suitable & reliable one. Hope this is helpful tips you may look out when in search for a filter.
Cheers

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stumbled upon this site started by 1 of the owners in NI, there are like 20+ NI owners having open and constructive discussion in there regarding securities and real issues with developers, think potential owners o NI wold benefit talking to this group of NI owners.

http://nusaidamanphase6.lefora.com/2010/04/12/introduction-of-nusa-idaman-phase-6/page5/

This is very informative... i did not know about this. Seems like UEM is doing a really bad job in this area!

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
It has been quite time since anyone talked about Ledang Heights

I just bought a house there, and hope to move in before end of the year

There were quite some scary stories about crimes in LH some time back, but I would like to know the situation now. Noticed that EUM has completed works of erecting new perimeter fence with some detection sensor or what. Quite a relief to note, but can any of my would-be-neighbours share the latest situation there?

Hi fairies

Forummer "mallow" resides at LH, have you visited her blog www.puterim.com?

Last edited:

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Cathylmg,
Personally, the water filter is quite essential, knowing that the water from the tap may not be safe to drink. Just a sharing since i was at the homefair lately.
Diamond one of the brand promoted their package for both external and free the normal in house warm & cold water dispenser for about Rm 2 over k nearly 3K (if i may recall correctly so cos it didint interest me). She also mentioned about servicing the set at RM50 per visit seems like per year. My kind friend who bought their set with GE instead paid only $1600 for 10 pple usuage but a self service washing need to be done once per week. For filter change only once every 5 years for about 500+.
It really depends on your usuge and no. of pple living in the house as you would not want to over run the filter not under utilised it. it's good to shop around to find the suitable & reliable one. Hope this is helpful tips you may look out when in search for a filter.
Cheers

Thanks for your advise. Just one note to consider. Diamond external set uses cloths material for filter purposes so it cannot be self serviced and so spending rm50 to change its cloth is a must. Also I heard that onces its cloth is stuck with all the sediments, the water pressure will lower. The rm1600 external set you are talking about could be the same one that I had mentioned above. It uses sand and can be self serviced by backwashing which is quite simple to do. The one that I mention costs rm200 to change it volcanic sand every 5 years.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
For the moment Danga Bay looked pretty dead to me when compared with the euphoria and hysteria that greeted its launch. Possibly Danga Bay will see better times upon completion of all the construction activity nearby

Danga Bay unfortunately is one of the areas that left me with bad impression and a hallmark of Malaysia's poor execution of masterplan. In fact the masterplan is on a big board which is still visible there.

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
For the moment Danga Bay looked pretty dead to me when compared with the euphoria and hysteria that greeted its launch.

Possibly Danga Bay will see better times upon completion of all the construction activity nearby

come to think of it danga bay is neither here nor there at the moment imho perhaps because of new development fatigue. There are so many new developments and only so many investors so the majority will opt for the more developed areas or areas which already has an early track record to show as a way of reducing risk. so i guess danga is getting the cold blanket now for now.

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
It seems difficult to find some products at Jusco, Giant & Tesco at Bukit Indah. In particular I have noticed few things missing (I'm sure that everyone would have something to add):
1. Sour cream / Cottage cheese - not available at all in all three of those.
2. Gherkins - nice and big marinated.
3. Semi dried tomatoes.
4. Good quality sausages (selection is quite basic and most are tasteless).
5. Selection of cheese is quite limited.
6. No variety of Pates.
7. Frozen bread/pastry (e.g. Delifrance Baguettes).
8. Peas (small and light green in colour) - only some big dark green monsters are available.
9. Delicatessen.
10. No online store with delivery.

Is there any chance we can make them to improve on that or what would be alternative shopping destination nearby for such items?

sour cream can be found in tescos from time to time. but double cream is not stocked at all. The cured meats selection is abysmal the prosciutto I saw looked blackish wrapped in plastic bag! The herbs is another sad story. I guess these items don't go off the shelves fast enough for the hypermarts to make them substantial. Maybe a dedicated Italian deli like culina may be a better bet say in the EL/LH/LF/HH area. Perhaps I drop a line on their website haha.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
come to think of it danga bay is neither here nor there at the moment imho perhaps because of new development fatigue. There are so many new developments and only so many investors so the majority will opt for the more developed areas or areas which already has an early track record to show as a way of reducing risk. so i guess danga is getting the cold blanket now for now.

Danga Bay development started way earlier. Admittedly, with the present land reclaimation that extends the seaside further out, the roads could now be widen. They could not widen it inwards because a big stretch of Danga Bay is fronting one of the residences of the Sultan.

What did i find at Danga Bay? That stretch of restaurant in the amphitheatre lookalike building is pretty nice. But the jetty stinks and is badly maintained. They don't allow me to walk my dog around that area and that really pissed me off. Instead you find hamburger sellers and very conservativly dressed people hanging around with kids running around. It is simple - they just need build themed Alfresco eateries and drinking places like Clarke Quay.

This is a pure failure in execution by a bunch of people who do not know what it takes to make a place lively. Imagine, their masterplan for Danga Bay actually has a "resort" on the bay! I wished i could offer them my service!

Last edited:

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Exactly.... I remember when it was launched it used to be a mad rush and people had to park their car so far away and walk in.

Yday as i drove past the freshly laid road Danga Bay looked very dead to me.

Yes the lights and glitter were still around.

But gone were the heydays of traffic snarls, bottlenecks and parking troubles!

Yes you are right investors are limited.

What makes it worse is the "Limited Critical Mass of Target Customers"

Another example of mega project losing steam midway.

Hopefully things get better after all the construction activity around is over.

But i definitely liked the new road...

GorengPisang

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is very informative... i did not know about this. Seems like UEM is doing a really bad job in this area!

From what i gather and observe, seems like developers are paying extra attention for their higher end developments and doing less for mid/low range properties below 500k. As such i feel that we need to constantly remind ourselves not to gloat and jump in joy over how affordable things and bills are in johor and instead adopt our normal practise and habits as though we are still living in spore, whether our utilitiy bills are rm30 or rm 200, we should still observe and not waste our host country's resources.

Also been doing alot of research asking around recently as im seriously looking to make the move fulltime to iskandar while still working in spore, as such its important to discuss not just pricing/affordability, but also look at the overall picture. Understand that for properties in the range of 300-500k like NI, Bt Indah etc, occupiers n home owners there are your typical mid income individuals like bank officers, sales execs etc (think young couple/1st timer in sg buying 3rm or 4rm hdb costing S$300-$400k). In view of that, i sure dont hope to c the isandar region turning into a speculative playground for investors, if home prices spike to fast and too drastic, the locals will eventually be priced out of the housing market, low income group will turn to crime, theft etc...which is no good, no good...of course, just sharing my random thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.