• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2bFree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Asia's first Legoland to open ahead of schedule!

Impressive if they can really pull it off safely. It still looks 30% completed only based on my casual observation when driving/riding past.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Today pretty xiong, had to send contacts to more than 11 different people, friends and relatives who need it for income tax, maid agency, cctv guy, business contact, bank contact plus business set up guy.

Then submit reports, follow up with work, etc. Then check on quote for wife's school concert and then troubleshoot problems for other departments at work plus gave some options to people who needed help on their money, stocks and houses.

Managed to get my pin number for the income tax at the income tax place (opposite Angsana shopping centre) so later after work, can finally do my own thing. Pretty bad luck as somehow arm of the gantry stopped me just as i let someone else (who was probably in a greater hurry) pass.

Worked more than 12 hours now excluding the lunch hour. Had lunch + dinner only at 5pm.
Just so tired now and answering the PMs on houses, taxes, rent, MACS, etc.

Going to call it an early night today. Hope can sleep before midnight. I will probably log off
here in another 15 mins. Then listen to some soft music and Zzzzz.

Last edited:

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sleep tight and dont need to miss us. We'll be good. Won't mess up your thread lol.

Good night and god bless :smile:

Today pretty xiong, had to send contacts to more than 11 different people, friends and relatives who need it for income tax, maid agency, cctv guy, business contact, bank contact plus business set up guy.

Managed to get my pin number for the income tax so later after work, can finally do my own thing. Worked more than 12 hours now. Had lunch + dinner only at 5pm.

Just so tired now and answering the PMs on houses, rent, MACS, etc.
Going to call it an early night today. Hope can sleep before midnight.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Thanks everyone. Last updates before i go.

The Hills has a show house (nothing inside though as not renovated) - Selling 820 - 870k depending on facing.
Seriously, the architect and designer should be advised to go elsewhere. Everyone is always complaining about
the design here which i really really agree. Luckily can still renovate and change what we don't like but still, its
really bad. If anyone knows the architect, please let him know he should REALLY change it. Even copying from
EL, Nusa Duta or Laguna (Laguna good designs) is better than carrying on the same type of cookie cutter design.

Saw Chris this afternoon as well as Prem. Spoke with Chris about the feedback about Prem, received from the forum.
(Didn't identify myself on the forum)

Seems Prem was innocent of one of the issues raised on the forum with subsale as it was actually the buyer who
changed his mind frequently, etc as even their management was aware of it. Someone else neutral later also
chipped in so looks like she is clear.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal

I was at marina sands today and I saw a team of iskandar people marketing the senai industrial park there. Slowly but surely they are stepping up their efforts :smile:

Last edited:

avalon74

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi sgtsk, Mohism 墨家 died out in China long long unfortunately. Its a philosophy and a way of life long gone.

Much like a chinese version of freemasons except that this was formed not for religion but more as a philosophy
to prevent wars and suffering.
(Not the modern version of chinese freemason which is more like the triads)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohism

Mohism or Moism (Chinese: 墨家; pinyin: Mòjiā; literally "School of Mo") was a Chinese philosophy developed by the followers of Mozi (also referred to as Mo Tzu (Master Mo), Latinized as Micius), 470 BC–c.391 BC. It evolved at about the same time as Confucianism, Taoism and Legalism, and was one of the four main philosophic schools during the Spring and Autumn Period (from 770 BC to 480 BC)[1] and the Warring States Period (from 479 BC to 221 BC). During that time, Mohism (墨 Mo) was seen as a major rival to Confucianism (儒 Ru). The Qin dynasty, which united China in 221 BC, adopted Legalism as the official government philosophy and suppressed all other philosophic schools. The Han dynasty that followed adopted Confucianism as the official state philosophy, as did most other successive dynasties, though Daoism and later Buddhism also played an important part in later Chinese life and thought, while Mohism all but disappeared as a separate school of thought. Mohist books were later merged into Taoist canon.

Mohism is best known for the concept of "impartial love" or "universal love" (Chinese: 兼愛; pinyin: Jian Ai; literally "inclusive love") and "No Evasion" (Chinese: 非攻; pinyin: Fei Gong; literally "No Attack") Mozi's philosophy was described in the book Mozi, compiled by his students from his lecture notes.

There was a movie about this i think quite a few years back in 2006:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Battle_of_Wits_(2006_film)

Famous people like master craftsman, Lu Ban were also mentioned in Mozi:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lu_Ban

Sometimes I wonder if your nick shd change from wuqi to wikipedia..

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal

You just hang in there! Weekend is coming as are holidays.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal

Have to agree on the design for HH. When I first visited, example the gateway, I couldn't distinguish the different type of houses/designs of the terrace, cluster etc. It all looks the same and while I appreciate and can understand that the architect was trying to create a similar cookie cutter theme for all the houses within a precinct, but the distinction isn't great enough to help a person to distinguish each respective beauty/identity of the houses. Don't get me wrong, the design is nice, just that when different type of houses are put together and yet with little distinction, it becomes very bland.

At danga island, there will be a few designs that a buyer can choose from. I think that's the sort of strategy that will take HH to a much greater heights. Anyway, based on current sales level at Hh, they might not change strategy and incur extra cost, I.e why fix the vase when it's not broken

For laguna, at least they don't make the entire row of houses the same (from fence to fence). They mix and match two different designs to complete the entire row, which create a sense of uniqueness in its own little way (of course these are all subjective views).

Thanks everyone. Last updates before i go.

The Hills has a show house (nothing inside though as not renovated) - Selling 820 - 870k depending on facing.
Seriously, the architect and designer should be advised to go elsewhere. Everyone is always complaining about
the design here which i really really agree. Luckily can still renovate and change what we don't like but still, its
really bad. If anyone knows the architect, please let him know he should REALLY change it. Even copying from
EL, Nusa Duta or Laguna (Laguna good designs) is better than carrying on the same type of cookie cutter design.

Saw Chris this afternoon as well as Prem. Spoke with Chris about the feedback about Prem, received from the forum.
(Didn't identify myself on the forum)

Seems Prem was innocent of one of the issues raised on the forum with subsale as it was actually the buyer who
changed his mind frequently, etc as even their management was aware of it. Someone else neutral later also
chipped in so looks like she is clear.

Last edited:

austin_hts

Alfrescian
Loyal
I got the e-pin via email. But cannot login..... Emailed the office to check....waiting for reply.Reply
Good that deadline is extended.....

So sorry sis, i should have put in more information for the direction. My sincere apologies nonetheless.

Was rushing during lunch hour to go get my efiling pin for MY taxes. So many people there and long queues. You only need to pay taxes if you have some tax income here like rental yield,etc.
Else no need to. Just get your tax number and pin, login and fill up. You can also go down there to pay.

Deadline is 30th April, 2012 for personal income tax filing. They have today, extended it to May the 15th for online efiling.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Woke up and continued to work. Then wife was hungry so bought prata. Watched this on Red (unifi channel)

A touching film and the ending poem from the movie (based on a book with same title)

Sayonara Itsuka (Goodbye someday)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxPCDE_svLY

To live is to prepare for goodbye;
For loneliness is a friend who will not betray
Shiver not into pouring love instead buy an umbrella;

Believe not in happiness, even in the passions of love
Confess not your love even if you would die for it;

For love is like a season;
It comes and goes to decorate life’s boredom;

The moment you call it Love,
it melts away, like an ice sculpture…

Goodbye someday
Happiness lasts not forever, as despair lasts not forever.

Somedays there is goodbye;
Somedays, theres is Hello

At death,
some look back on being loved;
While some look back on having loved…
I shall look back on having loved…

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agreed Wuqi and thanks. Apologies too for being out of topic to all forummers.

The things about culture is a heavy topic, particularly for Chinese who are not PRC. Two friends told me their kids asked whether they could call themselves just Singaporeans and not Chinese. Another day I was at the old turf club having a meal, a fight between a local and an angmoh couple broke out in front of me over a taxi. To my surprise a local from the crowd shouted applause because the ang mo was beating the crap out of the local guy. All these episodes did make me start thinking and asking questions of myself :

How come I seem to be using English all the time even though talking to Chinese friends on almost all occassions? Wouldn't it be odd to people of other races, especially foreign ones?

The German, Japanese, Irish, Swedish, Dutch, Malays, Thais and almost all types of people I could think off are fiercely loyal and proud of their own respective language, culture and identity. But how come I did not see this pride amongst locals, including myself. By then, I could sense some understanding of the infamous phrase "Sickmen of the east". This is serious. Like you said, some other advanced cultures admired quite many aspects of Chinese civilisation and wisdom. I read that Japanese elites and politicians read and quite often quote Three Kindoms. Yet we have our own kind even scorning anything Chinese and being angry and regreting of being born Chinese and wanting to denouce his race.

After I read I Ching and Laozi (which I admit I have not mastered), there seems to be no right or wrong answers for all issues. To each his own. It seems it is ok if a Chinese wants to change to angmo or vice versa or for a people to forget or denounce their own culture and kind. Since Chinese culture over several thousand years absorbed many different people, it must be ok for some people to leave the culture too. I think many culture activists would probably object to what I said as even within my heart I want to say hell no, it is not ok.

My thinking is that for a culture to continue to survive and prosper, there must be innate strengths for it to survive all challenges and onslaughts of all kind. The key is there is a critical mass of people who love and will fiercely defend their culture and identity. Nowadays I try to speak mandarin more and read Chinese history and classics and glad that I do this. I also have very high respect for people who dedicate their resources to preserve their own culture and identity, like those grey hair elderly(of course there are younger ones) gentlemen one sees in clan associations, temples or some cultural or educational set ups. And I also try, subtly though, to remind my relatives and friends, particularly the younger ones, on the importance of not forgeting one's own. I hope to do more for sure.

Hi sgtsk,

Thank you, that is the greatest honour to be even associated with him, i thank you sincerely for thinking that. If i was born during his time, i will be glad to just be his left shoe bearer. Only the left because his right foot needs someone more worthy to bear. It is, the ancients kindness, forbearance and tolerance has all been forgotten. Leaving only the bad stuff which people always focused on when dissing their own culture.

There are so many amazing things that was accomplished but yet they just focused on others culture, forgetting their own. We have so many people admiring others cultures when they forgot that people were admiring us all the past centuries thats why even cultures which some admire today, some till uses our words in their language. There was a reason for that. We should not rest on our laurels of past accomplishments but neither should we forget our roots.

I try to follow his ways but it is very difficult to even try to be remotely like him as he is very direct, too honest and forward looking for people to accept even back in his time.

He never proposes to attack but ensures a very costly defence for any would be attacker to even try to breach and many times "Bu zhan er qu ren zhi bing" Winning a war even without a battle. He also invented siege machines when he had to do what was needed to save more lives. He did it not for the sake of displaying his intelligence and strategic prowess but to save the lives of countless innocents.

A blade must sometimes be unshealthed by the unwilling to help protect the weak.

He represented all things altrustic that some countries are only now emulating. In fact,some of the early founding fathers of American displayesome of his attitudes towards life. They didn't do it for fame, power or to be number 1. They did it because they cared for the people.

So often, so many people always forget, your titles in life do not carry forward in history, the deeds and love for the people will.

.......etc

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi sgtsk,

All good points. Its sad that continually people diss their own culture without understanding it. I always advocate knowing and then making up your mind based on the facts. Many however just gave up on their culture without even knowing. If you really know it well and want to discard it, then its fair and entirely up to you.
I will tell such people not to ever go hanging signs up in parks where dogs and Chinese are not allowed because once they have it up, they themselves will not be allowed in too.

Sure, they may know someone like Yue Fei (Song) and thats it, but not earlier like Ban Chao, Wei Qing, Huo Qu Bing, or after Song, then in Ming dynasty, Liu Bo Wen, Yuan Chong Huan etc. They know Bao Zheng but not Hai Rui. I myself still know only very very little and the more i find out, the more intriguing it gets.
Its good to know your Eastern Han versus Western Han as well as Northern Song and Southern Song. 5 dynasties were also very interesting.

As long as China stands firmly on the world stage for coming years, i believe strongly one day a surge of interest will come back. Some friends and myself have started a modest replica sword collection based on historical artifacts as well as having actual Ming dynasty Yanmao swords. We value this as part of Chinese history, yet some others have so many items like "dao bi" (currency that are like small blunt razors(makes shaving easier too i guess), etc that they can do a small museum based on their collection.

Actually at home, i speak in Mandarin and with my elders and close friends its always mandarin or mix in with English if i sense that they are not comfortable.
I speak mandarin and dialects freely with my relatives and friends so much so that many times when we were in restaurants, etc and i insisted on speaking in
Mandarin.

I speak it so much so that, sometimes folks even thought i only knew Mandarin and always very surprised once they hear me ordering in English. Even some people close to me were very surprised i have always insisted on using mandarin or dialects at home.

We should remember our native tongues at least, i look upon with respect, not disdain whenever i hear native tongues or mandarin spoken in restaurants. Why do they have to use a foreign tongue when speaking with each other in a casual private conversation? I know its the "higher class" attitude of many to still speak in English but unless you are in office or working environment, why force oneself ?

I think its a force of habit for some but for others, it seems pretentious somewhat. Far from me ever disdaining others, we always get disgusted looks from those sitting at the next table, in the supposedly better restaurants whenever i speak with my wife in Mandarin.

There are those who have been 3/4 around the world, even though they have picked up foreign accents when overseas, still switches to SG/British English/Singlish easily when speaking and still prefer to use Mandarin at home and in casual conversations with friends/relatives.

Unlike some people who always goes "Got got got, Can can can." What is there to show off, who doesn't speak English in SG? (ok aside from new FTs)\
Some can even speak SG version of Mandarin and on top of that just like a PRC even yet are humble and don't show off.

In fact, i am making a point to learn more min nan languages as i am a Hokkien and more mandarin and even cantonese. I am definitely going to teach my son his native tongue on top of as many languages as he can master.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Hi DOA, yes really the design is first class rubbish. At least this time for 820-870k, they give you a tiny balcony and the 2nd floor living aread is bigger but the design is still..........You come in to home and right to your right is a ...........bathroom. Maybe practical or they are assuming everyone needs the toilet immediately or having the runs once they get back home.

By the way, Danga island is still = avoid. PM me if you need details.

Status
Not open for further replies.