• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
ah , cant really understand map , but my guess is if i am gg to jusco from NI , instead of turning right at the traffic , i should turn left ? there are a few shop houses there ....

Correct Crystal, on left hand side after you follow the flow of traffic and turn tight. Lots of eye catching adverts so need to slow down.

Last edited:

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ta Me Da!
ElderShield under fire
Government is set to review the scheme next year, but observers call for urgent revamp of a 'completely inadequate' scheme
by Tan Weizhen 04:45 AM Apr 26, 2012
SINGAPORE - A prominent professor here has warned that the Republic's financing scheme for the intermediate- and long-term care (ILTC) sector will not be enough for Singaporeans to meet basic costs for such services, as the clock ticks down on the silver tsunami which will hit the Republic by 2030.

Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy Professor Phua Kai Hong, an authoritative figure in the region on healthcare policy and management, first voiced his concern about ElderShield, which is the sole national insurance scheme for intermediate and long-term care, at a closed-door discussion earlier this month.

Speaking to Today, he reiterated that the scheme is "completely inadequate". Said Prof Phua: "People are calling our hospitals a First World sector, but that our long-term care is Third World standard. Besides the over-reliance on voluntary welfare organisations, patients' families and cheap labour, the financial structure in this sector needs to be thoroughly re-looked."

He added that Singapore's existing 3M framework - Medisave, MediShield and Medifund - are "rigged towards hospital care".

Among other appointments, Prof Phua had undertaken healthcare consulting assignments for international organisations such as the World Bank and the World Health Organization, as well as the health ministries of various countries including Singapore.

Prof Phua's concerns were unanimously shared by industry players and Members of Parliament Today spoke to, with one of them describing the situation as a potential time bomb even as the Government is ramping up the infrastructure in the sector and raising subsidies especially for low- and middle-income households.

Adding that the issue is "right at (the) doorstep", NTUC Eldercare general manager Lim Sia Hoe cautioned: "The Government must show urgency. We don't have the luxury of time. The longer we wait, the more difficult it is."

The Ministry of Health (MOH) had announced previously that it is reviewing the Eldershield scheme next year.

In response to Today's queries, an MOH spokesperson said it recognises that "the cost of caring for the elderly over a period of time can be significant".

On the increased subsidies, the spokesperson noted that around two-thirds of the population "will benefit from some form of financial assistance" when the changes take effect in the third quarter.

Among other measures, the MOH will also absorb goods and services tax for healthcare services for all subsidised ILTC patients, while cash payouts and qualifying income for the Interim Disability Assistance Program for the Elderly will also be increased for low-income disabled elderly who were unable to join ElderShield at its inception.

Nevertheless, the spokesperson acknowledged that insurance coverage "also plays an important role in ensuring the sustainability of our healthcare financing system".

She said: "MediShield and ElderShield provide a basic level of protection against severe illnesses and disability. Those who wish to obtain higher coverage may purchase ElderShield Supplements provided by private insurance providers ... We will continue to refine our aged care financing framework to make care more affordable for our elderly."

The ElderShield scheme was launched in 2002 as an affordable severe disability insurance scheme that provides basic financial protection to those who need long-term care.

In 2007, the Government increased the monthly payout from S$300 to S$400, and the maximum payout period from 60 to 72 months.

Singapore citizens and permanent residents with Medisave accounts are automatically covered under ElderShield at the age of 40, unless they opt out.

According to industry players, the ElderShield payout is insufficient: Patients' bills are at least twice that amount.

Calling for the cap on the payout period to be abolished, they said that the scheme should also cover not only those who are severely disabled and unable to perform three activities of daily living.

Said former Nominated MP and private orthopaedic surgeon Kanwaljit Soin: "The payout should be as long as the person is alive. It will even out in the end as some people will die earlier and others, later."

There should also be more flexibility in the scheme - for example, the amount of payout should be pegged to the level of care needed.

Sengkang West MP Lam Pin Min, who chairs the Government Parliamentary Committee for healthcare, said that the payout should be reviewed regularly, taking into account inflation.

Higher payouts will entail higher premiums and Dr Soin suggested that co-payment from Singaporeans be capped at 20 to 30 per cent - a level that Prof Phua concurred was optimal according to past studies.

Most observers Today spoke to felt the Government should take the lead in this area, even though private insurers should ultimately come into the picture.

Said Prof Phua: "It is a relatively new issue so a lot of private insurers are waiting for the Government to come in and set directions." He noted that the Government has to make projections and set a basic package on how much is needed for long term care.

Former NTUC Income CEO Tan Kin Lian pointed out that that consumers' interest is best protected by the Government being involved in setting the framework to determine the eligibility for a claim. Said Mr Tan: "The insurance company can be quite strict in interpreting the eligibility to the detriment of the consumer."

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
thank u Grago !!!! going there next week !

So sorry sis, i should have put in more information for the direction. My sincere apologies nonetheless.

Was rushing during lunch hour to go get my efiling pin for MY taxes. So many people there and long queues. You only need to pay taxes if you have some tax income here like rental yield,etc.
Else no need to. Just get your tax number and pin, login and fill up. You can also go down there to pay.

Deadline is 30th April, 2012 for personal income tax filing. They have today, extended it to May the 15th for online efiling.

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi wuqi

no need to apologise , i understand u r busy man ...
dun worry , there are always helpful forummers like Grago will direct me to the right way .... : )

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hey All, many many thanks for your inputs on the reasons for staying in JB. Gratitude.

Wuqi, pls explain on this tax issue. Does it apply to all owners of JB homes who are staying there? I have a few friends who stay in JB and the only taxes they have been paying are "cukai tanah" and "cukai pintu".

Only if you are getting some sort of income, else this will not apply to you. Cukai tanah (property tax), cukai pintu (literally door tax) and cukai harta as well. I only pay cukai tanah and cukai harta here. Paying my due taxes online as i didn't get to use efiling the last time and went onsite there.

So many people. Company tax deadline is extended up to June i heard. For those liable to pay personal income tax, when registering, your IC is good enough as they gave me my pin based on my NRIC number. Also remember if you have at least stayed here for 6 months, then you are a tax resident, ask them to give you the pin based on the tax resident status. This is as there are alot of deductions to be made for tax residents.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
hi wuqi

no need to apologise , i understand u r busy man ...
dun worry , there are always helpful forummers like Grago will direct me to the right way .... : )

Thanks for your understanding. These few days have been crazy, need to submit reports. Slept only from 9.30 to 10.30pm and woke up, then rushing reports then wife woke up. Sent them for makan. Came back and continued working. Only slept at 5.20am i think and then woke up at 8am to continue working. Sometimes my colleagues asked me, am i constantly travelling as they always seem to see me around the clock.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi sgtsk,

Thank you, that is the greatest honour to be even associated with him, i thank you sincerely for thinking that. If i was born during his time, i will be glad to just be his left shoe bearer. Only the left because his right foot needs someone more worthy to bear. It is, the ancients kindness, forbearance and tolerance has all been forgotten. Leaving only the bad stuff which people always focused on when dissing their own culture.

There are so many amazing things that was accomplished but yet they just focused on others culture, forgetting their own. We have so many people admiring others cultures when they forgot that people were admiring us all the past centuries thats why even cultures which some admire today, some till uses our words in their language. There was a reason for that. We should not rest on our laurels of past accomplishments but neither should we forget our roots.

I try to follow his ways but it is very difficult to even try to be remotely like him as he is very direct, too honest and forward looking for people to accept even back in his time.

He never proposes to attack but ensures a very costly defence for any would be attacker to even try to breach and many times "Bu zhan er qu ren zhi bing" Winning a war even without a battle. He also invented siege machines when he had to do what was needed to save more lives. He did it not for the sake of displaying his intelligence and strategic prowess but to save the lives of countless innocents.

A blade must sometimes be unshealthed by the unwilling to help protect the weak.

He represented all things altrustic that some countries are only now emulating. In fact,some of the early founding fathers of American displayesome of his attitudes towards life. They didn't do it for fame, power or to be number 1. They did it because they cared for the people.

So often, so many people always forget, your titles in life do not carry forward in history, the deeds and love for the people will.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozi

Some of his quotes:

B] "When people near-by are not befriended, there is no use endeavoring to attract those at a distance." [/B]

One’s parents will be treated by others as one treats the parents of others. In pursuing this line of argument, Mozi was directly appealing to the idea of enlightened self-interest in social relations. Also of note is the fact that Mozi differentiated between "intention" and "actuality," thereby placing a central importance on the will to love, even though in practice it may very well be impossible to bring benefit to everyone.

In addition, Mozi argued that benevolence comes to human beings "as naturally as fire turns upward or water turns downward", provided that persons in positions of authority illustrate benevolence in their own lives. In differentiating between the ideas of "universal" (jian) and "differential" (bie), Mozi said that "universal" comes from righteousness while "differential" entails human effort. Furthermore, Mozi’s basic argument concerning universal love asserts that universal love is supremely practical, and this argument was directed against those who objected that such love could not be put into practice.

"Universal love is the Way of Heaven," since "Heaven nourishes and sustains all life without regard to status." ("Laws and Customs" in Mozi) Mozi's ideal of government, which advocated a meritocracy based on talent rather than background, also followed his idea of Heaven

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Have yet to explore this area. May head over there tonight for dinner :biggrin:

Its a good area for food and there is also a San Jian Ke pub there as well opposite of the S11 coffee shop.
Satay is not bad, wanton me also as well.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thought some of you might be interested in this.

Top six tax deductions for landlords
by ONGKL

No landlord would like to pay more than necessary for utilities or other operating expenses for a rental property. But, every year, millions of landlords pay more taxes on their rental income than they have to. Why? Because they fail to take advantage of all the tax deductions available for owners of rental property.

Rental real estate provides more tax benefits than almost any other investment. Often, these benefits make the difference between losing money and earning a profit on a rental property. But tax deductions are worthless if you don’t take advantage of them. Here are the top six tax deductions for owners of rental property.

1. Interest. Interest is often a landlord’s single biggest deductible expense. Common examples of interest that landlords can deduct include mortgage interest payments on loans used to acquire or improve rental property. In Malaysia, from 2009 to 2011, this tax benefit has been extended to the mortgage interest of your first home. However, interest payment on mortgage refinance loan is not deductible for both rental property and home.

2. Repairs. The cost of repairs to rental property (provided the repairs are ordinary, necessary, and reasonable in amount) are fully deductible in the year in which they are incurred. Good examples of deductible repairs include repainting, fixing gutters or floors, fixing leaks, plastering, and replacing broken windows.

3. Insurance. You can deduct the premiums you pay for almost any insurance for your rental activity. This includes fire, theft, and flood insurance for rental property, as well as landlord liability insurance. And if you have employees, you can deduct the cost of their health and workers’ compensation insurance.

4. Legal and Professional Services. You can deduct fees that you pay to attorneys, accountants, property management companies, real estate investment advisors, and other professionals. You can deduct these fees as operating expenses as long as the fees are paid for work related to your rental activity.

5. Employees and Independent Contractors. Whenever you hire anyone to perform services for your rental activity, you can deduct their wages as a rental business expense. This is so whether the worker is an employee (for example, a resident manager) or an independent contractor (for example, a repair person).

6. Casualty and Theft Losses. Finally, if your rental property is damaged or destroyed from a sudden event like a fire or flood, you may be able to obtain a tax deduction for all or part of your loss. These types of losses are called “casualty” losses. You usually won’t be able to deduct the entire cost of property damaged or destroyed by a casualty. How much you may deduct depends on how much of your property was destroyed and whether the loss was covered by insurance.

east539

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does the sign mean "Duck fried kway teow"?? Do they use cockles in their Kay teow or duck as per the sign?

鸭蛋炒粿條 = Duck Egg fried kway teow, mean they use duck egg & as far as I can recall they don't use cockles for their fried kway teow.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Thanks bro DOA, in fact even interest charged on your loan is deductible as does roof repairs, leaks/repainting and renovation/furnishing to rent it out.

austin_hts

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks, useful info.

Wuqi, thanks too for yr reply to my PM.

on EDL, can I check if there is a convenient gathering pt just after jb CIQ? say petrol station or car park? gog to check out properties with friends in two cars. First time using EDL. We want to exit at pandan interchange..... Friends first time driving to Jb......

Thanks very much!

QUOTE=DREAMorACTION;1047890]Thought some of you might be interested in this.
R
Top six tax deductions for landlords
by ONGKL

No landlord would like to pay more than necessary for utilities or other operating expenses for a rental property. But, every year, millions of landlords pay more taxes on their rental income than they have to. Why? Because they fail to take advantage of all the tax deductions available for owners of rental property.

Rental real estate provides more tax benefits than almost any other investment. Often, these benefits make the difference between losing money and earning a profit on a rental property. But tax deductions are worthless if you don’t take advantage of them. Here are the top six tax deductions for owners of rental property.

1. Interest. Interest is often a landlord’s single biggest deductible expense. Common examples of interest that landlords can deduct include mortgage interest payments on loans used to acquire or improve rental property. In Malaysia, from 2009 to 2011, this tax benefit has been extended to the mortgage interest of your first home. However, interest payment on mortgage refinance loan is not deductible for both rental property and home.

2. Repairs. The cost of repairs to rental property (provided the repairs are ordinary, necessary, and reasonable in amount) are fully deductible in the year in which they are incurred. Good examples of deductible repairs include repainting, fixing gutters or floors, fixing leaks, plastering, and replacing broken windows.

3. Insurance. You can deduct the premiums you pay for almost any insurance for your rental activity. This includes fire, theft, and flood insurance for rental property, as well as landlord liability insurance. And if you have employees, you can deduct the cost of their health and workers’ compensation insurance.

4. Legal and Professional Services. You can deduct fees that you pay to attorneys, accountants, property management companies, real estate investment advisors, and other professionals. You can deduct these fees as operating expenses as long as the fees are paid for work related to your rental activity.

5. Employees and Independent Contractors. Whenever you hire anyone to perform services for your rental activity, you can deduct their wages as a rental business expense. This is so whether the worker is an employee (for example, a resident manager) or an independent contractor (for example, a repair person).

6. Casualty and Theft Losses. Finally, if your rental property is damaged or destroyed from a sudden event like a fire or flood, you may be able to obtain a tax deduction for all or part of your loss. These types of losses are called “casualty” losses. You usually won’t be able to deduct the entire cost of property damaged or destroyed by a casualty. How much you may deduct depends on how much of your property was destroyed and whether the loss was covered by insurance.[/QUOTE]

Sweeve

Alfrescian
Loyal
Asia's first Legoland to open ahead of schedule!

Hi guys,

reported in today's Straits Times, Legoland opening this coming Sept 15!

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_792766.html

By Kenneth Goh

Asia's first theme park centred on a popular brand of children's toy blocks will open in Johor on Sept 15.

Legoland Malaysia is located in Johor's Iskandar development region, a 15-minute drive from the Tuas Second Link. At 31ha, it is considerably bigger than the 20ha Universal Studios Singapore in Sentosa, which its general manager names as its rival.

In a press conference held on Wednesday to announce Legoland Malaysia's opening date, general manager Siegfried Boerst, 49, said: 'It is good to have another quality entertainment spot nearby, which can attract more people around the region to visit these two theme parks.'

At the same time, he said that visitors from Singapore will make up a key 'resident market' for the park. He expects that around 30 per cent of the projected one million visitors in its first year of operation will come from across the Causeway.

Sweeve

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Asia's first Legoland to open ahead of schedule!

Reported in channelnewsasia as well.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/1197351/1/.html

KUALA LUMPUR: Asia's first Legoland theme park, dedicated to the popular toy bricks, will open in Malaysia in September, several months ahead of schedule, the company said Wednesday.

Siegfried Boerst, general manager of Legoland Malaysia, said more than 35,000 annual passes had already been sold for the park featuring more than 40 roller coasters, race cars and other attractions in southern Johor state.

Of those, more than one third had been sold in neighbouring Singapore.

About one million people are expected to visit the 76-acre (31-hectare) park in the first year.

The park is already 75 per cent complete with most of the rides and infrastructure in place. Contractors will begin next month to install the Lego models made out of more than 50 million bricks, Boerst said.

When completed, Legoland Malaysia will be the sixth of its kind in the world featuring the Danish toy bricks after those in Denmark, Britain, California, Florida and Germany.

A Legoland Hotel, also Asia's first and the world's fourth, is to open next to the Malaysia park in 2014. Groundwork began last month.

Legoland will be one of the main attractions of Iskandar Malaysia -- a dedicated economic development zone that plans to attract more theme parks.

The park borders Singapore, which opened Southeast Asia's first Universal Studios entertainment complex in 2010.

But developers say the new park would complement Universal Studios Singapore rather than compete with it for customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.