• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Eng's Noodles House : Wan Tan Mee Cashier's face not so happy

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, I remember now, Fatty Weng's does have a restaurant along Albert street, somewhere towards the end of the street. ...

Fatty was a favourite with my uncle. He would eat there often in the 60's before he emigrated. The only thing he missed from Spore was the food:biggrin:

tua lam pah

Alfrescian
Loyal
to me all these pics, the char siew fails big time,

the mee might be nice but for great char siew, try the redhill market char siew rice, (the one facing the main road)

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's was one of the better restaurant at that time. Always crowded. If I recall correctly, the restaurant catered to the more expensive food. While the chi char stall they set up outside, more to the common fare.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually someone brought me to Fei Fei at Joo Chiat, 1st time eating there, I feel it's better than Eng's....

Though they need to improve on their presentation.... mee on top, veges, meat and wantons below -______-""""

Last edited:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes I would go there with friends after visiting the National Library. In those days everyone took the good & cheap food for granted. Also remember eating at Hock Lam Street.

Didn't realise how low the standard of indian rojak had become until recently when I re-discovered an ex-waterloo stall. They are now located at the Albert food court. Their rojak is definitely better than others I've tried.

Where is the Hock Lam Street "ping pong" beef ball soup now? At one time it was at Capitol transit centre, then at Funan and after that no news heard.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The real one at Burlington lah, just opposite SLS, love their Hokkien Mee

There was a Fatty Weng at Sentosa hawker centre once, near the ferry terminal, between it and the musical fountain in the early days. Don't know whether it was the same one. It was definitely there before the one at the Bencoolen Street OG which then moved to Burlington Square.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There was a Fatty Weng at Sentosa hawker centre once, near the ferry terminal, between it and the musical fountain in the early days. Don't know whether it was the same one. It was definitely there before the one at the Bencoolen Street OG which then moved to Burlington Square.
Albert Complex is the original one, I saw the old fat boss sitting outside the main door as life icon long time ago. Still many angmohs visits the restaurant. They now at Burlington.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Where is the Hock Lam Street "ping pong" beef ball soup now? At one time it was at Capitol transit centre, then at Funan and after that no news heard.

Sorry no idea. Just have the memory of the wan ton & spare part soup & it was yummy:smile:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sorry no idea. Just have the memory of the wan ton & spare part soup & it was yummy:smile:

The beef balls in clear soup was easily dissected with a bite and really tasty especially when dipped in the special chilly sauce. And it was normally served with the thin bee hoon. I used to go to Hock Lam Street just for this.

The closest thing we can find today is the Da Pu Beef Ball Noodle stall at Syed Alwi just opposite WP HQ. But the Da Pu's balls are more tough in texture and not as smooth.

Last edited:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Albert Complex is the original one, I saw the old fat boss sitting outside the main door as life icon long time ago. Still many angmohs visits the restaurant. They now at Burlington.

The Sentosa stall was well before the Albert Complex location, something like 25 to 30 years ago.

jw5

Loyal
The beef balls in clear soup was easily dissected with a bite and really tasty especially when dipped in the special chilly sauce. And it was normally served with the thin bee hoon. I used to go to Hock Lam Street just for this.

The closest thing we can find today is the Da Pu Beef Ball Noodle stall at Syed Alwi just opposite WP HQ. But the Da Pu's balls are more tough in texture and not as smooth.

FS, according to the hock lam beef website these are the 2 outlets:

Far East Square
22 China Street, #01-01, Far East Square
Operating Hours:
Monday to Sunday & PH: 10.00am – 9.00pm

Tel: 6220 9290

Upper Serangoon
949 Upper Serangoon Rd.
Operating Hours:
Monday: Closed | Tuesday to Friday: 5.00pm to 11.00pm | Saturday, Sunday & PH: 10.00am – 11.00pm

Tel: 6285 6119

Email us at [email protected]

jw5

Loyal

I like the beef balls at golden mile food centre (corner stall) and another stall at the Chinatown food centre near smith street (can't remember the stall name or location but it's next to a char siew fun stall and nearby there's another stall selling mutton balls).

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
FS, according to the hock lam beef website these are the 2 outlets:

Far East Square
22 China Street, #01-01, Far East Square
Operating Hours:
Monday to Sunday & PH: 10.00am – 9.00pm

Tel: 6220 9290

Upper Serangoon
949 Upper Serangoon Rd.
Operating Hours:
Monday: Closed | Tuesday to Friday: 5.00pm to 11.00pm | Saturday, Sunday & PH: 10.00am – 11.00pm

Tel: 6285 6119

Email us at [email protected]

I used to frequent Hock Lam beef the past, but after seeing them using PRC staffs. I gave them the middle finger.:oIo:

Try this one,

http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapore/hai_nan_xing_zhou_beef_noodles/

The soup is fantastic. :wink::smile:

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I tried Fei Fei bour 2 mths back and didn't quite like it, same here, don't think I like this type of Wan Tan Noodle. I don't think Pontian is the same type right? As for Ah Eng, I will go try because of the chilli, slurp, slurp......

I like the deep fried Yong Tau Hu of Fei Fei. Noodle wise, so so. Chilli almost tasteless.
Eng's chilli sauce is out of the world. Used to treat friends to Eng's noodle without warning them about the powerful chilli. Damn fun. :biggrin:

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
got balls or not? I only like balls, beef slices not so exciting.........................

Got balls, but small balls. Don't really like balls. Always got this thought that balls are made up of lousy parts of the cow. :p

I usually go for ball-less beef noodle. Meat only. :biggrin:

I remember there's one with BIG balls along Syed Alwi Road.

Crane

Alfrescian
Loyal
Got balls, but small balls. Don't really like balls. Always got this thought that balls are made up of lousy parts of the cow. :p

I usually go for ball-less beef noodle. Meat only. :biggrin:

I remember there's one with BIG balls along Syed Alwi Road.

Hello handsome,

How come never see your younger sister around ? Is she avoiding me ? :*:

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I used to frequent Hock Lam beef the past, but after seeing them using PRC staffs. I gave them the middle finger.:oIo:

Try this one,

http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapore/hai_nan_xing_zhou_beef_noodles/

The soup is fantastic. :wink::smile:

If you guys talking about beef noodle soup, during 80s at Bugis market, there were 2 stalls facing each other, quite famous. Now 1 at Lavender Food Court, another 1 at Golden Mile Hawker Centre. They are better than Hock Lam, the Hock Lam boss got very bad attitude, i dun like....