• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dr Allan Ooi’s farewell letter and last word before his death: Questions for SAF

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think you can't say that just because the bond breaker pays it back, there is no loss. The loss is that somebody more deserving next in line then had been deprived of a chance. What is the value lost? How to put a value on it? Nothing to the bondbreaker, but indeterminable to the one who has lost the chance to go to University. What about honour? What's the value?

If you want to sign up for a scholarship with intention to break the bond after getting what you want, I think it's very selfish and wicked. It shows lack of breeding and questionable ethics. The choice is not to take it. Don't act like a prima donna, break yr contracts and then throw tantrums. I'm not against talented scholars staying on overseas to attractive career futures, but I do feel it's not right to break a bond. Gentlemen in earlier histories live by their word, and it is their bond. They broke it, they were prepared to lose their lives. They fight duels. The Mafia will kill you or redeem in kind - a hand or finger chopped off, kneecapping etc. So grow up to honour your promises like a man!

As for Dr Allan Ooi, I think his letter was too ambiguous and vague as to the reason(s) for his suicide. There may be a single straw that broke the camel's back but I daresay his letter wasn't very clear. There seems to be a myriad of causes, some aggregated over the years, some pent-up. Yes, he moaned the fact that he had wasted many years in the SAF because the bond was unbreakable. But did we get to hear about this before his suicide? If it was so compelling, why didnt he or his family speak out? Many people started blogs for less strong reasons, and online avenues were nearly, probably half, as old as the Internet. Didn't he have any friends who could have championed for him? There was also his love life, which again was alluded to,but not clearly too. So, bashing the SPH or the SAF might seem the popular thing to do nowadays, but still, it wouldn't shed more light on what led him to his death. How about bashing whoever it was who broke his heart? How about bashing all his friends who didn't help him?

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
If being a doctor is a shitty job, spare a thought for the toilet cleaners, the factory operators . He is just a loser , who cant think straight. pardon my pun.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<style></style>Just one pertinent question.Do you guys at the age of 18 know the full implications of the contract you sign.What I mean is do you guys get a copy of the draft before.Do you have access to 3rd party advise or opinions on the clauses before you sign your death warrant.

I had often come across when dealing with this government and on a table on that minute you are merely handed a stack of papers which is called a contract with x for you to sign.Without hesitation or the ability to fathom the clauses you are expected to sign.How was you contractual terms to a bond was handled?

i don't know how it is handled today. at my time, it was nearly like what you said. i was ushered into an office, shown a stack of papers, told what it was for, given a quick briefing of the highlights (1 of them was the ns liability extension), and presented the sections for initials followed by the back pages for signature. at that age, i had little clue what i was getting into. all i knew was that the government wanted me so badly. i was so proud, so worthy, so goondu, really goondu.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
btw, give some credit to those goondu signers like me who returned and served out their bonds, or at least completed their ns obligations. many realized the folly after serving a few years, but we decided to complete our minimum obligations, which were not trifle and short. instead of vegetating at some boring roles given to us, many made the best of them, turning some lame projects into gems of fun and fondness. the same positive and cheerful attitude, when carried into the private sector, will bring great contributions to an enterprise or company. life is not just about fulfilling youthfulness, prestige, wealth, freedom and its trappings for oneself; it's also about fulfilling obligations and promises.

so, please don't badmouth sg's scholars and ministers anymore, as most of them have sacrificed a lot... especially leaving their easy-come, easy-go ang mo chee byes in foreign lands and getting hitched to the devil's den (sg elite club) and the scorny looks and cb faces of "elite" sg dragon women. the punishment of bedding any fuckface for life more than exceeds the millions in reward money. :biggrin:

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
Attached below is an extract of Dr Allan Ooi’s email sent to his family and friends before his death. It was sent to us by his friend:

To: Wayang Party Editors

His suicide letter attached. Blackout from media on this. An inquiry into his supervisors and the whole scholarship process in the SAF should be demanded, someone lost a precious son/friend/brother.

We have elected to reproduce only relevant parts of Dr Allan Ooi’s email. In the last few days, the mainstream media, especially the Chinese dailies have been speculating about the cause of his death.

The Straits Times suggested it was due to over-indulgence in online war games. Lianhe Wanbao claimed that he committed suicide because he lost heavily in gambling. Shin Ming wrote that it may due to some relationship issues. None of these were true.

Like the smear campaign directed against David Widjaja, the mainstream media had been concocting all kinds of unsubstantiated tales to distract attention from the authorities which have yet to provide us with a satisfactory explanation.

The SPH journalists are aware of the content of Dr Allan Ooi’s email. Why didn’t they report the real reason behind his suicide and instead throw all kinds of smoke-bombs to mislead Singaporeans?

In his email below, Dr Allan Ooi stated explicitly that the main reason why he decided to end his life is due to work-related issues:

Read his stunning relevation of SAF here:

http://wayangparty.com/?p=6191

The day when we are born, we become prisoners in our own body. However, in the case of Allan before he signed on the dotted lines, he would had enough input from his parents and peers. looking at his background, getting the SAF scholarship was just like a feather in the cap or collecting scout badges.
It looks good on his resume and has the potential to be of ministerial or at least a mp material if not at least a GLC CEO. Pity he could not get around the system or at least served out his term. Death did not solve his problem, he still had to go through it again in his next livfe

kchunjeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since the day the bond breaker issue,

Lots of saying about the taking up the scholarship.

Please think carefully before sign the bond ! it's a both parties issue.

Don't just think of the Money and the opportunity.

Please consult those that already in it.

Or if you think that $ is not the issue.

Please leave the scholarship for those who really need that.

You have the liability to serve, once you signed on the dotted line.

Just like you sign on your marriage certificate !

I have for you a golden Scholarship. The most precious bond symbolizes that your contribution is the most precious element in my country. The bond has no beginning and no ending, which symbolizes that the bond between us will never cease. I place it on your desk as a visible sign of the vows which have made us employer and employee.

Last edited:

moosekaka

Alfrescian
Loyal
i too served out a bond for six years after signing to go for a foreign university education. i really really hated it in the first three years, to the point of self destructive behavior.

however after that time i guess maturity/looking forward to the future/etc i became more adjusted and found life more tolerable. i still hated my job and believed i wasted my twenties, but realized that the process made me grow up and made me mentally tougher.

i cant say if i was in allan's position that the dark thoughts would not cross my mind. however i think it is a waste that he actually went through and gave in to the path that he took. the sad thing is he will never have the chance to explore what life has in store for him after the bond.

i myself am now out of the country and am much happier pursuing my own interests. if there is one thing we can learn from this is that perhaps we need to be more open about such issues and let everyone realize there are options other than the one dr ooi took.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I dunno if my comment is a fair one.

I never never sign any bond of anything. It is like a prison. But others might not think same as me. I dun even buy contract for a handphone.

I will pay more for an item but will avoid and cautious when paying for something that has to deal with it monthly or there is a time awareness on it.

moosekaka

Alfrescian
Loyal
you are correct, i have become much more reluctant to commit to contracts and/or take on commitments since my experience. i rather live life unencumbered by debt/long term commitments etc... but it does carry a price too. ppl look at you and wonder why in your thirties you still arent married/kids etc ie living the typical middle class singaporean life. there is always a tradeoff for everything.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
i don't know how it is handled today. at my time, it was nearly like what you said. i was ushered into an office, shown a stack of papers, told what it was for, given a quick briefing of the highlights (1 of them was the ns liability extension), and presented the sections for initials followed by the back pages for signature. at that age, i had little clue what i was getting into. all i knew was that the government wanted me so badly. i was so proud, so worthy, so goondu, really goondu.

<style></style>Thanks for the clarification.That pretty much sums up how PAP entraps us in legal bondage.Same story wherever and whenever this government deals with you.Whether that be Scholarship contract or HDB or even a simple Singtel or Starhub contract.

Now people would ask why did not not Allan or his parent bother to find out the fine prints in such a contract since they had the means and the ability.I would therefore ask does anyone bother to read the contract anyone singns with Singtel or Starhub?Even if they do will any of these monopolistic operator would change the terms of their clause? No ! Similarly thousands signs contracts with HDB every month.

Now this sort of matter actually tantamount to duress.Why?Allan has to sign the scholarship contract like all his peers without blinking their eyes.If he questions than he might loose his chance.Who dares to question under such circumstances.

Damm if you sign and dammed if you question.That is the very reason why Allan wants the system changed.

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
at 18 y/o just finished JC. we probably know all the alphabets, and probably anything GP. but legal terms in a contract or bond? howmany actually read them or able to read them?

even given the cooling period (7days) or even to get family to read it, it is those many pages filled with legal jargon,,,,

well, just the govt way to trap the local talents when they are young and naive

etherc

Alfrescian
Loyal
The golden life line is also a leash, if you understood that at 18 you won't need a scholarship to get ahead in life.

moosekaka

Alfrescian
Loyal
i would not say its non est factum even at 18y/o....however i think as one goes out and matures at that critical age and matures we change our outlooks/ interest and then regret that we made a huge commitment so early in life, more so if you actually out of singapore for the first time as in many cases for foreign uni scholars. the best analogy is getting married at 18yrs old. huge difference and very likely you find your views about who you married changed in your 20's.

boring

Alfrescian
Loyal
this is the product pap created for us, SELF FEAR! self fear here and there, eat also fear, shit also fear, fuck also fear . pap inplant fear for years, a very deadful disease, please don't ignore it,treat it seriously, it kill!!! be a real man's man....singaporean.....

motuiti

Alfrescian
Loyal
<style></style>Well SAF holds that answer.Isn't that obvious.Everyone in NUS medical faculty must be aware of their bond.But having to sign a legally binding contract at the age of 18 !!!!!....Therein lies the the problem.This government gets you signed in the dotted line the moment you reach the legal age.Why even Singtel ,Starhub and HDB too gets you into debt trap.Lock you for years.Thereafter its just work work work to pay pay and pay.

That's an interesting conundrum... at 18 you can serve your nation, sign your life away to be bonded, but you can't vote for the government you want.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now I think you are going overboard and being irrational. Ooi did not "steal" any scholarship from any other student be it poor or rich. Moreover a poor bright student can obtain a bursary to hep pay Uni fees even he/she does not get a scholarship. And while we are it please do not confuse scholarships with bursaries. Scholarships are given on merit regardless of one's class status etc, bursaries are given to poor low income family students for assistance.

what about the potential poor student who got scholarship stolen by rich kid, who parent will never able to afford to spend him to study medicine in nus?

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is total nonsense:rolleyes: Typical Sinkee attitude of looking to blame the government for everything instead of taking individual responsibility for one's actions. always want to have your cake and eat it.

Did Ooi have a brain to exercise rational independent thought? Moreover didn't Ooi come from a savvy sophisticated background. "Duress' you gotta be joking:rolleyes:

<style></style>Thanks for the clarification.That pretty much sums up how PAP entraps us in legal bondage.Same story wherever and whenever this government deals with you.Whether that be Scholarship contract or HDB or even a simple Singtel or Starhub contract. Now this sort of matter actually tantamount to duress.Why?Allan has to sign the scholarship contract like all his peers without blinking their eyes.If he questions than he might loose his chance.Who dares to question under such circumstances.

Damm if you sign and dammed if you question.That is the very reason why Allan wants the system changed.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rubbish, especially over the last decade and beyond which captures Ooi. Generations Y, Z and beyond are precocious, savvy and sophiscated way beyond earlier generations because of modern technology, travel and effect of golbalisation.

All these excuses of Duress, Misrepresentation, Never read bond contract, only 18 years old and worse of all entrapment by the government is utter rubbish and nonsense. More so in the case of Ooi who comes from a savvy sophisticated background.

There is no force coercion no 'gun to the head' when it comes to a government scholarship or any scholarship for that matter. Don't do your own due dilligence then you got only yourself to blame later on down the road, don't come crying over spill milk then. Moreover don't forget that government scholars are even paid a regular salary while studying besides getting everythign else paid for during their academic years.

Finally, there are certain institutional/company scholarships that are bond free, so go check those out if you do not want to be bonded.

Being young and naive is no valid good excuse, certainly not in this day and age and in particular not in Ooi's case.

at 18 y/o just finished JC. we probably know all the alphabets, and probably anything GP. but legal terms in a contract or bond? howmany actually read them or able to read them?

even given the cooling period (7days) or even to get family to read it, it is those many pages filled with legal jargon,,,,

well, just the govt way to trap the local talents when they are young and naive