• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dr Allan Ooi’s farewell letter and last word before his death: Questions for SAF

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Finally something more compelling than the juvenile personal sandbox that this forum appears to have turned out to be of it late:smile:

My quick thoughts, why couldn't Dr Ooi remain abroad? Family has $$$, he is bright young and good looking why suicide? This fact alone seems to show that his e-mail does not tell the full story. :rolleyes::confused:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think he was depress.
depress with his working condition.
he was also not careful. since he hate the job, why did he go to UK to do a course??
also does not need a brain surgeon to know that signing a 12 years bonds when your family can afford it. Is choosing your own death basically.

i think SAF scholarship is fine as it is, it is for people who cannot afford it. trying to break out from poverty. it is not for pamper rich kid to show off their scholarship.

I support SAF in this particular issue.

DerekDear

Alfrescian
Loyal
you can't break a SAF bond, its not like a PSA scholarship. But there's one guy who successfully got himself out of it...the price is that you essentially cannot work as a doctor in singapore anymore. But he seems happier these days, he's been playing the gold market with a fair bit of success.

Allan went for an overseas training for 6months in London - that would have extended his bond by 3 years. Also, in the RSAF one can choose specialities such as ophthalmology, which I heard can make money.

Also, SAF doctors get 40% more pay after they specialize compared to officers of the same rank (last time, don't know about now).

Of course, money is not an issue for this guy - face it, in the SAF you have to organize LIFE runs, write report here, report there; provide medical cover when CAF is doing IPPT... the rest of the day, hold men's balls and ask them to cough to check got hernia or not.... or give MC to people with cough and colds... or pilot who kheng and want to go home screw lao zoe.

To me, its an easy job for quite a good pay - after all, if you want excitement, join Commando/Ranger lor... there got real action, since SAF does send SOF people to Iraq and Afghanistan but never publicize in the 154th for fear of a public outcry... so media blackout.... just like this case.

:cool:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
I still don't understand why he had to kill himself over a lousy job.

He denies being in depression but he must be and doesn't know it.

Sad waste of a young life

just like any drunk who would blabber "wa bo zhui~ wa~ bo zhui~ wa bo~ zhui~" :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

1sickpuppy

Alfrescian
Loyal
<style></style>Well SAF holds that answer.Isn't that obvious.Everyone in NUS medical faculty must be aware of their bond.But having to sign a legally binding contract at the age of 18 !!!!!....Therein lies the the problem.This government gets you signed in the dotted line the moment you reach the legal age.Why even Singtel ,Starhub and HDB too gets you into debt trap.Lock you for years.Thereafter its just work work work to pay pay and pay.

Well Fyi I signed a bond with the govt when I was 16yo after I took my O lvl results and could not get into poly and pre U. They sponsor me for higher studies that I could not with my results or with my limited cash then. Luckly during my final year of my bond a private company needed my skills and bought me over and paid for my bond :smile:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is Tharman a scholar? What about Dr Ng? What about Shan? Best of all what about LKY himself:biggrin:?
Scholarships are taken for the prestige and to open doors in the political world. In Singapore more than any other country this is particularly important. Look at the cabinet, except for Wong Kan Seng whose wife is the 1st cousin of the PM, everyone else is a scholar. .

My thoughts exactly. Since I gather the late Dr Oooi appeared to move in the elite social circles he probably ought to have known about the case of perhaps one of the most 'illustrious' SAF Medical Scholars: A National Swimmer in fact I recall he was the captain of the team at one time, Male Model and now 'Mr Lasik' probably making pots of $$$ in private practice:wink:

Very sad for his family and my heart goes out to them but no doubt there is much more to this than meets the eye as his purported email does not make sense under all the circumstances. Also if I was advising his family I would have told them to stonewall any and all media altogether. Just let him RIP and mourn in total privacy.

In the case of Allan Ooi, money is not an issue. His father was once the President of the most elite social club and that bond can be paid many times over at a drop of a hat.

There is more to this. I suspect he wrote that to provide closure to family and friends ( which I think is commendable as opposed no news or reason at all and people are left hanging forever)

As to he working slavishly claim is odd as his friends indicated the extreme boredom and lack of medical work to occupy a fully qualified medical doctor seems more the case.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, I have volunteered with the Samaritans group when I was in college many years ago and had to receive some training first before I was tasked with manning the phones. And I can tell you this much, it is simply not natural to commit suicide and instinctively the human body shall automatically resist all attempts, that is why generally and relatively there appear to be more attempted suicides than actual suicides. I think those who actually commit suicide have some sort of inherent depressive nature in the first place, this followed by circumstances and triggers in life.

If that is the real reason, however, I wished he could have fought it out with them instead of taking the route he took. He could have righted the wrongs while living instead of hoping for a posthumous solution :(

I'm living with someone whose life every day is on borrowed time.. life is so short and precious.. Dr. Ooi should have made friends who are terminally ill to realise life is to be cherished, not thrown away like that :(

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sounds like those educated Lehman bond whinner investors who got screwed. These potential scholars are not babes in the woods, particularly those of Ooi's generation and beyond. And Ooi in particular comes from a savvy sophisticated background. Non Est Factum and/or misrepresentation here? I hardly think so:rolleyes:
<style></style>Just one pertinent question.Do you guys at the age of 18 know the full implications of the contract you sign.What I mean is do you guys get a copy of the draft before.Do you have access to 3rd party advise or opinions on the clauses before you sign your death warrant.

I had often come across when dealing with this government and on a table on that minute you are merely handed a stack of papers which is called a contract with x for you to sign.Without hesitation or the ability to fathom the clauses you are expected to sign.How was you contractual terms to a bond was handled?

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
I come straight to the point

This guy is a weakling and committed suicide.

So be it.

Rich family, got good education, good life, whine here, whine there, AWOL, commit suicide, big deal

There are many people in unfortunate circumstances but they FIGHT to survive, they go through great difficulty and adversity despite being dealt a poor hand at birth

Who is this ah gua

Little bit boey song, commit suicide

No pity at all for this weakling, another graduate, sigh...

DerekDear

Alfrescian
Loyal
I come straight to the point

This guy is a weakling and committed suicide.

So be it.

Rich family, got good education, good life, whine here, whine there, AWOL, commit suicide, big deal

There are many people in unfortunate circumstances but they FIGHT to survive, they go through great difficulty and adversity despite being dealt a poor hand at birth

Who is this ah gua

Little bit boey song, commit suicide

No pity at all for this weakling, another graduate, sigh...

Whle I agree with your idea, your tone is kinda.... insensitive.:eek:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Whle I agree with your idea, your tone is kinda.... insensitive.:eek:

what about the potential poor student who got scholarship stolen by rich kid, who parent will never able to afford to spend him to study medicine in nus?

what about the potential student who miss a chance to sign on, who will honor his bond, who will work in rsaf with pride?

who care about the rich bastard who kill himself for something trivial.

funny that he even went to australia to kill himself and let the casket company there to earn some money instead of letting singapore casket to make some cash.

we should not give a toss to rich people who take up scholarship with intent to back out. just to get the prestigue scholarship to put on resume.

DerekDear

Alfrescian
Loyal
what about the potential poor student who got scholarship stolen by rich kid, who parent will never able to afford to spend him to study medicine in nus?

what about the potential student who miss a chance to sign on, who will honor his bond, who will work in rsaf with pride?

who care about the rich bastard who kill himself for something trivial.

funny that he even went to australia to kill himself and let the casket company there to earn some money instead of letting singapore casket to make some cash.

we should not give a toss to rich people who take up scholarship with intent to back out. just to get the prestigue scholarship to put on resume.

No argument - but for a fact, some people cannot make the cut for NUS medicine, rich or not rich - so by taking up the scholarship, they "make it" to NUS medicine - this is a well known backdoor entry for applicants who get shortlisted for interview (maybe 400 out of 2,000-3,000?), but missed the cut during interview.

Of course, since NUS will never tell us the statistics, we will never know.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
his family so rich, even he cannot cut it for NUS, he can go to australia or UK to study. then he can happily enjoy many years as a doctor in private practise.

he will still be alive and someone else get to be a doctor in NUS and enjoy a fat job in rsaf. m

the job maybe boring to his standard, but millions of people would dream to get his fat job in rsaf.

that is one lousy reason to kill one self.

M

Mdm Tang

Attached below is an extract of Dr Allan Ooi’s email sent to his family and friends before his death. It was sent to us by his friend:

To: Wayang Party Editors

His suicide letter attached. Blackout from media on this. An inquiry into his supervisors and the whole scholarship process in the SAF should be demanded, someone lost a precious son/friend/brother.

We have elected to reproduce only relevant parts of Dr Allan Ooi’s email. In the last few days, the mainstream media, especially the Chinese dailies have been speculating about the cause of his death.

The Straits Times suggested it was due to over-indulgence in online war games. Lianhe Wanbao claimed that he committed suicide because he lost heavily in gambling. Shin Ming wrote that it may due to some relationship issues. None of these were true.

Like the smear campaign directed against David Widjaja, the mainstream media had been concocting all kinds of unsubstantiated tales to distract attention from the authorities which have yet to provide us with a satisfactory explanation.

The SPH journalists are aware of the content of Dr Allan Ooi’s email. Why didn’t they report the real reason behind his suicide and instead throw all kinds of smoke-bombs to mislead Singaporeans?

In his email below, Dr Allan Ooi stated explicitly that the main reason why he decided to end his life is due to work-related issues:

Read his stunning relevation of SAF here:

http://wayangparty.com/?p=6191

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Rest In Peace

M

Mdm Tang

Dear Allan ,

Rest In Peace ,

Attachments

• Dr Allan Ooi.jpg
    Dr Allan Ooi.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 437
M

Mdm Tang

Rest In Peace , from those who care ...

Attachments

• Those Who Care.jpg
    Those Who Care.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 199
M

Mdm Tang

Rest In Peace ...

Attachments

• Dr A Ooi 9 Mar 09.jpg
    Dr A Ooi 9 Mar 09.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1,001

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal
i agree with the "insensitive" guy. this doc had always gotten what he wanted all the time. but as soon as he needed to face "real life" with his job and getting dumped by dawn yeo, he couldn't take it. a loser who's not used to losing at anything goes emofaggy and kills himself. i would call that cowardice.

in his death mail, he asked that "people in the system" should change it to benefit themselves and future generations. that's rich. he, with his good looks, good grades, and rich family, would have been in better position to change s'pore than most of us lesser peons. wasted idiot sheep.

Last edited:
M

Mdm Tang

i agree with the "insensitive" guy. this doc had always gotten what he wanted all the time. but as soon as he needed to face "real life" with his job and getting dumped by dawn yeo, he couldn't take it. a loser who's not used to losing at anything goes emofaggy and kills himself. i would call that cowardice.

in his death mail, he asked that "people in the system" should change it to benefit themselves and future generations. that's rich. he, with his good looks, good grades, and rich family, would have been in better position to change s'pore than most of us lesser peons. wasted idiot sheep.

Why Da Dick ?