• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Checkmate creationist

drifteri

Alfrescian
Loyal
Failure to understand the usage of terms. This is not talking about moral evil. It refers to calamities which are part of God's judgement on sin and wickedness. You failed to look at the larger context, which is to say you lift verses out of context and ends up distorting what the text says.

Did I say anything?? whahahha. You are still giving very hazy type of answer. Not everyone including christian know the bible as well as you:wink:

Joshua 23:15:
Therefore it shall come to pass, that as all good things are come upon you, which the LORD your God promised you; so shall the LORD bring upon you all EVIL things.

why not punishment, retribution or repercussion?

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did I say anything?? whahahha. You are still giving very hazy type of answer. Not everyone including christian know the bible as well as you:wink:

Joshua 23:15:
Therefore it shall come to pass, that as all good things are come upon you, which the LORD your God promised you; so shall the LORD bring upon you all EVIL things.

why not punishment, retribution or repercussion?

Just get that Bible Commentary and you would find the answers.

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
THE ONLY ALMIGHTY GOD ALLAH JEHOVAH
唯一的全能神安拉御和華 {華渚}
Creation Myths 創世神話

Flood Stories
Islamic Myths About Creation
Chinese Creation Myths
Phan Ku - P'an Ku
Out of Africa
http://www.crystalinks.com/africacreation.html
Egyptian Creation Myths
http://www.crystalinks.com/creationcountries.html

The God closer to Chinese is 唯一的全能神御和華 {華渚}
San Word (三坟)Ⅱ《玄武之约》第三十四章 预言
http://sanword2006.blog128.fc2.com/blog-entry-21.html 第四十象 癸卯 巽下艮上 蛊卦
谶曰:

PUNISHER

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
just get that bible commentary and you would find the answers.

image.jpg

:d:wink:

PUNISHER

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Atheism is a religion. Looks like you self-pwn.

Erection , Whoever said atheism is a religion is like saying noise is a music :wink: please don't embarrass yourself here by saying atheism is a religion . Go and check the dictionary and see if atheism is under religion :wink:
You really likes to argue for the sake of arguing . :wink:
image.jpg

PUNISHER

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Should I even bother to explain the difference between a belief supported by evidence and one ‘supported’ by the complete lack of it ? :wink: do you believe that a condom monster is hiding under your bed ? If you don't , can I say your second religion is not believing in condom monster ? :wink: wow !!! You have 2 religions Whahahahah !!

PUNISHER

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It’s also irritating how religious people have never really understood the idea that anyone making an extraordinary claim is required to provide extraordinary evidence for that claim in the first place. Putting the burden of disproving an idea makes no sense: no one is required to disprove trolls, fairies, condom monster or unicorns. They can be dismissed outright even though we can never be 100% sure they don’t exist, because no evidence has ever been presented to prove the idea is true to begin with :wink:

PUNISHER

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
For some strange reason, many people keep getting the idea that atheism is itself some sort of religion. It's an assertion which I keep hearing in newsgroups, in private email, and in this forum . Maybe it is because these people are so caught up in their own religious beliefs that they cannot imagine any person living without religion of some sort. Maybe it is due to some persistent misunderstanding of what atheism is. And maybe they just don't care that what they are saying really doesn't make any sense just like how those idiot believe that a snake could talk .

PUNISHER

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Let's examine what considers to be the defining characteristics of "religion."
...a religion, with clearly defined rules, eschatology and a philosophy by which to live. Religion is a means of understanding our existence.
Does atheism have anything approaching "clearly defined rules?" Not in the least. There is only one "rule," and that is the rule of the definition of "atheism" - not having any belief in any gods. Other than that, atheists are free to do whatever they want and still be called atheists. An atheist can do and believe absolutely anything beyond gods and still fit the definition. Quite the opposite of how "rules" are treated in a religion. This is one area where a misunderstanding of what atheism is probably comes into play.
Does atheism have an "eschatology? Eschatology is a "belief about the end of the world or the last things." Now, I'm sure that many atheists have some sort of beliefs about how the world might end, but those beliefs sure aren't clearly defined or uniform among all of us. In fact, any beliefs about the end of the world are accidental - that is to say, they are not a necessary part of atheism. There is absolutely, positively nothing inherent in the disbelief in gods that leads one to any opinions about the end of the world. Quite the opposite of how 'eschatology' is treated in a religion.
Does atheism contain "...a philosophy by which to live?" Atheists certainly have philosophies by which they live. A popular philosophy might be Secular Humanism. Another might be objectivism. Still another could be some form of Buddhism. There is not, however, a clearly defined philosophy common to all or even most atheists. In fact, there is nothing inherent in the disbelief in god(s) which leads a person to any philosophy of life . Quite the opposite of how 'philosophy of life' is treated in a religion.
Religion is a means of understanding our existence. Atheism fits that bill.
Sorry, wrong yet again. As the term is normally used, atheism means not believing in any gods. That's as far as "understanding existence" goes with atheism. Other than gods, there's a lot of room for differences among atheists as to what they think about existence. Thus, atheism itself is not an "understanding", but a single commonality. Any two atheists might have as much in common as a Christian and a devout believer in Odin - both of whom are obviously theists. Although some person's understanding of their existence might contain a principle of atheism, that atheism is not itself the means to understanding.
The belief in an objectively existing world is a common assumption, too - but the people who share it don't belong to a common religion, now do they? Besides, since many atheists don't believe that gods "exist" and, hence, aren't a part of "existence", that disbelief doesn't have to be seen as understanding "existence". I don't believe in the Tooth Fairy, and that disbelief isn't a means of understanding our existence, doesn't have an eschatology, and certainly has no clearly defined rules.
Religion is a philosophy of life. So is atheism.
Atheism is a disbelief, not a philosophy. My disbelief in the Tooth Fairy is not a philosophy of life - is it for anyone else? Furthermore, a philosophy of life is not necessarily a religion and it doesn't necessitate that a religious belief exists in the person with the philosophy.
Religions has its leaders, the preachers of its tenets. So does atheism (Nietzsche, Feuerbach, Lenin, Marx).
All of those philosophers disagreed in many ways - thus supporting my contention that atheism, as such, does not have any set of "clearly defined rules" and is not a single religion. Many atheists, in fact, have no interest in those authors.
The Democratic Party, the United Way, a university - all have had their leaders. Are they religions? Of course not - anyone who suggests such a thing would be immediately recognized as a loon, but somehow people imagine that it is respectable to do the same with atheism.
Religion has its faithful believers, who guard the orthodoxy of the faith. So does atheism.
What possible orthodoxy is there for anyone to guard? There are those who attempt to guard the orthodoxy of belief in the Democratic Party - is that a religion, too? At least political parties have some semblance of "orthodox beliefs" which are worth guarding against the gradual shifts of culture.
And religion is a matter of faith, not certainty. Your own faithful say that, as that is what I was referring to in my posting.
"...my own faithful...?" Who are they? What is he talking about? He acts like I'm a high-priest of atheism. Some people imagine that those who read this site and regularly visit the chat room and/or bulletin board are somehow "followers" - but they are simply reading their own predispositions onto the lives of others.
Just because religion necessitates the existence of faith does not mean that the existence of faith (in whatever form) necessitates the existence of religion. I have "faith" in my wife's love for me - is that a religion? Of course not. I have "faith" in the value of empiricism - is that a religion? Of course not, that'd be silly. The connection between religion and faith only goes in one direction, not both.
Moreover, religionists in cases like this love to equivocate upon the term "faith." Faith has multiple meanings - not all of which are exactly the same. The sort of faith to which I refer above and which one might consider common among atheists is that of simple confidence based upon past experience. Moreover, that faith is not limitless - it should only go as far as evidence warrants. In religion, however, faith means a great deal more - it is, in fact, essentially a belief without or in spite of evidence.
Welcome to the religious world! Please forgive my contentious tone. However, I would very much like to bring some (albeit not all as that is not possible) to the realization that all religions set themselves apart from the crowd; they are the pure, the faithful, all others are just "religion." Here again, atheism fits the bill.
Huh? This makes no sense. Just because atheists see themselves "apart from the crowd," this makes atheism a religion? Absurd.
At every point in the above letter, there is an attempt to show places where religions and atheism have something in common. I've either pointed out that there isn't anything in common - that the alleged commonality is shared by other organizations or beliefs that clearly aren't religions - or, finally, that the alleged commonality isn't a necessary part of atheism. The problem is, the author managed to pick things that aren't necessary parts to religion. A religion doesn't have to have leaders, an eschatology, defenders, etc. to be a religion. Just because something does have those things doesn't mean that it is a religion. If someone disagrees, they're going to have to do a better job of supporting this position than just listing them - they're going to have to explain, in depth, just how each of those points are sufficient and necessary.
Perhaps it would also help to examine what a religion is. The Encyclopedia of Philosophy, in its article on Religion, lists some characteristics of religions. The more markers that are present in a belief system, the more "religious like" it is. Because it allows for broader grey areas in the concept of religion, I prefer this over more simplistic definitions we can find in basic dictionaries. Read the list and see how atheism fares :
Belief in supernatural beings (gods).
A distinction between sacred and profane objects.
Ritual acts focused on sacred objects.
A moral code believed to be sanctioned by the gods.
Characteristically religious feelings (awe, sense of mystery, sense of guilt, adoration), which tend to be aroused in the presence of sacred objects and during the practice of ritual, and which are connected in idea with the gods.
Prayer and other forms of communication with gods.
A world view, or a general picture of the world as a whole and the place of the individual therein. This picture contains some specification of an over-all purpose or point of the world and an indication of how the individual fits into it.
A more or less total organization of one's life based on the world view.
A social group bound together by the above.
To try and claim that atheism is a religion requires, it should be pretty obvious from the above, a radical ad hoc redefinition in what it is that "being a religion" is supposed to mean, resulting in a radically equivocal use of the new term-- if atheism is a religion, then just what isn't a religion?
In addition, it should be noted that theism itself does not qualify as a religion based upon the above - and for most of the same reasons that atheism does not qualify. When you stop to think about it, theism - the mere belief in god(s) - does not automatically entail almost any of the beliefs or practices listed in either the above letter or the above definition. In order to have a religion, you need quite a bit more than either simple belief or disbelief. This fact is clearly reflected in the real world, because we find theism which exists outside of religion and religion which exists without theism.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Erection , Whoever said atheism is a religion is like saying noise is a music :wink: please don't embarrass yourself here by saying atheism is a religion . Go and check the dictionary and see if atheism is under religion :wink:
You really likes to argue for the sake of arguing . :wink:
View attachment 11737

Like it or not, the truth is that atheism IS a religion. Just take a good look at how religiously you hold to your atheistic beliefs. When was the last time you took a reality check at what you believe? Betcha never.

PUNISHER

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Like it or not, the truth is that atheism IS a religion. Just take a good look at how religiously you hold to your atheistic beliefs. When was the last time you took a reality check at what you believe? Betcha never.

atheistic beliefs ? Do you believe that a condom monster living under your bed ? If you don believe in that which means you are having 2 religions ? Whahhahaha ..Go to my post on atheism is not a religion and debate about that . Instead of giving no logic statement as what you believe in the bible that snake could talk ... :wink:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
atheistic beliefs ? Do you believe that a condom monster living under your bed ? If you don believe in that which means you are having 2 religions ? Whahhahaha ..Go to my post on atheism is not a religion and debate about that . Instead of giving no logic statement as what you believe in the bible that snake could talk ... :wink:

No, I don't believe there is a monster under my bed. That does not change the truth that atheism is a religion.

gymkhana

Alfrescian
Loyal
Atheism is a religion. Looks like you self-pwn.

Hey bro .I think the correct or more appropriate description should be "atheism is a belief . A belief that there is no God "

Would the true blue atheists please stand up !

Peace