• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can PAP survive without LKY?

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a feeling that if LKY kicked the bucket, PAP might collapse.

Definitely, there are ministers in PAP itself that are unhappy over the appointment of Ah Loong as Prime Minister, for they feel his appointment was orchestrated by his father and hence, nepotism. The only reason why they have not 'rebelled' is the fear of a knuckle-dusting old man. If that old man moved on, the knives may be out. Neither GCT nor Ah Loong himself has the respect or credibility to crush the rebellion. Ah Loong is starting to be like what Kevin Rudd is to ALP, a liability.

The second problem will be, who is going to be 'king' of Tanjong Pagar GRC? AMK GRC has Ah Loong as 'king', Marine Parade GRC has GCT as 'king' and so on. Who will the successor be and will he be credible enough to take over Old Man's 'king' position? Only Lui Tuck Yew seems to be the only senior minister to take over but then again, he has no credibility and seen as a 'parachuted' MP.

The third problem, the people will be less fearful of PAP. Some people fear the PAP simply because Old Fart has come down very hard on his opponents and all his opponents were bankrupted, exiled or kept out of action. His actions were enough to cow most Singaporeans into being submissive. The fear can be bad at times (although it is lesser now) that rumours of PAP monitoring everybody's votes is even brought up. With the threat gone, will people be more vocal about their opposition to PAP policies?

The final problem, PAP will no longer be a 'brand-name'. Face it, whenever we think of PAP, the first person you think of is neither GCT nor Loong, but Old Man himself. It shows how much is PAP associated with him.If he is gone, will the prestige of PAP fall as well?

Just my thoughts. :biggrin::biggrin:

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a feeling that if LKY kicked the bucket, PAP might collapse.

Definitely, there are ministers in PAP itself that are unhappy over the appointment of Ah Loong as Prime Minister, for they feel his appointment was orchestrated by his father and hence, nepotism. The only reason why they have not 'rebelled' is the fear of a knuckle-dusting old man. If that old man moved on, the knives may be out. Neither GCT nor Ah Loong himself has the respect or credibility to crush the rebellion. Ah Loong is starting to be like what Kevin Rudd is to ALP, a liability.

The second problem will be, who is going to be 'king' of Tanjong Pagar GRC? AMK GRC has Ah Loong as 'king', Marine Parade GRC has GCT as 'king' and so on. Who will the successor be and will he be credible enough to take over Old Man's 'king' position? Only Lui Tuck Yew seems to be the only senior minister to take over but then again, he has no credibility and seen as a 'parachuted' MP.

The third problem, the people will be less fearful of PAP. Some people fear the PAP simply because Old Fart has come down very hard on his opponents and all his opponents were bankrupted, exiled or kept out of action. His actions were enough to cow most Singaporeans into being submissive. The fear can be bad at times (although it is lesser now) that rumours of PAP monitoring everybody's votes is even brought up. With the threat gone, will people be more vocal about their opposition to PAP policies?

The final problem, PAP will no longer be a 'brand-name'. Face it, whenever we think of PAP, the first person you think of is neither GCT nor Loong, but Old Man himself. It shows how much is PAP associated with him.If he is gone, will the prestige of PAP fall as well?

Just my thoughts. :biggrin::biggrin:

Sinkies cannot survive without LKY. 50 years as a limbo citizens Sinkies has lost the strategy of how to survive. When LKY die many will die and still want to follow him to the next world.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lee Hsien Loong is safe lah. The real fight is for his successor. His sons are too young. The younger ministers will all fancy their chances. Although it is questionable who would want to take up such a thankless job.

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lee Hsien Loong is safe lah. The real fight is for his successor. His sons are too young. The younger ministers will all fancy their chances. Although it is questionable who would want to take up such a thankless job.
By looking at the deputy ministers pool, I will pick Teo Chee Hean. To say LHL is totally safe when LKY kicked the bucket, I don't think so. Volatile and ruthless nature of politics is unpredictable. Not many will have expected Kevin Rudd to be knocked out of power by his own subordinates, same applies for Yukio Hatoyama who was pressured to resign. I see old man as the glue of PAP.

It is probably a thankless job considering that the Prime Minister is always arrowed whenever things go wrong, but his pay overcompensates the nasties.

Liquigas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course PAP will survive without LKY. Just like in Taiwan, KMT survive without the Chiangs. Unless of course you are telling me that LKY is bigger than PAP!

Even if PAP got voted out one day, the party with its history and strong party machinery should remain a formidable opposition in parliament and will rebound, like the KMT, to form the government once again one day. We should witness a two-party political system by then.

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course PAP will survive without LKY. Just like in Taiwan, KMT survive without the Chiangs. Unless of course you are telling me that LKY is bigger than PAP!

Even if PAP got voted out one day, the party with its history and strong party machinery should remain a formidable opposition in parliament and will rebound, like the KMT, to form the government once again one day. We should witness a two-party political system by then.
Thing is, will PAP be still the ruling party after LKY?

And will the Opposition be emboldened without the presence of Old Man and his suits?

jw5

Loyal
By looking at the deputy ministers pool, I will pick Teo Chee Hean. To say LHL is totally safe when LKY kicked the bucket, I don't think so. Volatile and ruthless nature of politics is unpredictable. Not many will have expected Kevin Rudd to be knocked out of power by his own subordinates, same applies for Yukio Hatoyama who was pressured to resign. I see old man as the glue of PAP.

It is probably a thankless job considering that the Prime Minister is always arrowed whenever things go wrong, but his pay overcompensates the nasties.
It is unlikely to be him. TCH is only 2+ years younger than LHL.
Someone, it could be GCT, said sometime ago that they are now looking for a potential successor who should probably be in his 30s now.
This shows how long more LHL intends to be around.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yesterday night, we already saw them raise the dead. I remember hearing Goh Keng Swee talking at the rally from beyond the grave. Creepy ...

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
Someone, it could be GCT, said sometime ago that they are now looking for a potential successor who should probably be in his 30s now.

Minister Balakrishnan used to be a leading contender. He has however been weakened by the YOG.

Rising quickly is Acting Minister Liu. He was probably responsible for initiaing the arrest of Alan Shandrake and the two bloggers. He is obviously hoping to become Minister of Home Affairs. With this as his power base, he would then try to become the next PM of Singapore.

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal

If that is the case, it is a pity. TCH is one of the few PAP heavyweight ministers whom I have no beef with. One of the better PAP ministers in his generation. If he was PM, we might be better off.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
will probably be one of these clowns:

hiphop_mp.jpg

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If that is the case, it is a pity. TCH is one of the few PAP heavyweight ministers whom I have no beef with. One of the better PAP ministers in his generation. If he was PM, we might be better off.

Frankly, TCH is quite good politically. He managed to avoid or parry all controversial issues. As defence minister, he reduced 6 months for NCOs and officers, while more than doubling NS allowance, and allowed IPPT annual window (i.e. instead of they fix IPPT dates for NSmen, NSmen can choose and book their own dates as long as they do it once per year).

Viv Bala has always been too ambitious or over-zealous. Trying too hard and pleases neither sides, and taking on tasks too tough. The public assistance quibble over S$300+ p.m. for 3,000+ recipients (i.e. about S$1 m. nationwide), increasing YOG budget from S$100 m.+ to almost S$400 m. and still couldn't feed volunteers with sufficient and healthy foods.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LKY will leave behind a 'shoe' too huge for any of the MIW's to fill, G Yeo don not have the charisma to lead the party nor become a PM.

George Yeo can't even handle a portfolio as foreign affairs minister. Most serious foreign affair issues are handled by MM, SM or PM. What does he do, really? When Bangkok riots, issue travel advisory, what else?

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
Frankly, TCH is quite good politically. He managed to avoid or parry all controversial issues. As defence minister, he reduced 6 months for NCOs and officers, while more than doubling NS allowance, and allowed IPPT annual window (i.e. instead of they fix IPPT dates for NSmen, NSmen can choose and book their own dates as long as they do it once per year).

Viv Bala has always been too ambitious or over-zealous. Trying too hard and pleases neither sides, and taking on tasks too tough. The public assistance quibble over S$300+ p.m. for 3,000+ recipients (i.e. about S$1 m. nationwide), increasing YOG budget from S$100 m.+ to almost S$400 m. and still couldn't feed volunteers with sufficient and healthy foods.
That is why I will have prefered TCH to be PM. His policies had truly benefited the Singaporean citizens. And he does not make any insensitive remarks. He is the 'workman', getting down to the job without any wayang. George Yeo is another one, but as Samsters have mentioned, the Jack Neo scandal has hurt his rapport with the conservatives.

Ever since all the YOG scandals had came out, I doubt Vivi is even considered for a post in the important ministries.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ever since all the YOG scandals had came out, I doubt Vivi is even considered for a post in the important ministries.

First, there was public assistance for poor elderlies...

VB : You want hawker, foodcourt or restaurant?

Then came YOG...

VB : You want hawker, foodcourt, restaurant, dogfood or food poisoning?

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
While we speak : the Ruling Regime is bringing in hundreds and
thousands of FTs in hidden cells around Singapore away from public view .

Some of the better off are living beside us .

By then if the figures can be UP . Election in Singapore is walk-over .

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

after Chiang Ching kuo death, KMT power factions fought for their political survival. 12 years later, KMT lost governing power.
New Party, People's First Party and Taiwan Solidarity Union emerged out of power struggles within KMT.

once strongman LKY passes away, pap might go through the same thing but i agree, pap will remain a strong political party.