• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can PAP survive without LKY?

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Viv Bala has always been too ambitious or over-zealous. Trying too hard and pleases neither sides, and taking on tasks too tough. The public assistance quibble over S$300+ p.m. for 3,000+ recipients (i.e. about S$1 m. nationwide), increasing YOG budget from S$100 m.+ to almost S$400 m. and still couldn't feed volunteers with sufficient and healthy foods.[/QUOTE]

You forgot the refurbishment/renovations of 26 games venues will cost more than the actual YOG! Maybe $2B

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Overall when it comes to Singapore, all PAP has to do from every election then on is to invoke the memory of LKY and all and sundry will vote for PAP. Sympathy votes will come pouring in.
"Do you want to let your founding father down by not voting PAP?"
"LKY, as head of the PAP, made Singapore what it is today. Honour his memory and vote PAP."

like this? imagine LHL as Ma and that giant CKS statue to be LKY.
if pap can make the statue speak, even better.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For the breakaway party part, it happened in Japan. And that breakaway party managed to unseat the incumbents.

yes, LDP got thrashed badly in GE last year.
think PAP is now the world longest uninterrupted ruling democratic elected party. ( coalition not counted )

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes, LDP got thrashed badly in GE last year.
think PAP is now the world longest uninterrupted ruling democratic elected party. ( coalition not counted )
I think they are the longest ruling party in a democratic country. The only countries that can beat PAP record are dictatorships like Cuba and North Korea.

The fall of PAP is only linked to two factors. Either a strong, united opposition or a breakaway party from PAP. Intelligence, or insider knowledge, is often the underrated but most important part that can turn the tide.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, I deliberately left him out. Why? I think he is too much of a Christian and liberal type. With Old man still alive and LHL under his shadow, I dont think he cut ice with the family. But he has quite a profound mind which was probably what kept him there so long. He always comes across to me as an academic. The Foreign Minister portfolio suits him to a T, I think. But in a crisis, I am not sure if he is Machiavellian enough. E.g. would he shoot 100,000 protesters to save the economy? - Old man would never blink an eye.

Georgie Yeo?

The only high-post minister you left out.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, I deliberately left him out. Why? I think he is too much of a Christian and liberal type. With Old man still alive and LHL under his shadow, I dont think he cut ice with the family. But he has quite a profound mind which was probably what kept him there so long. He always comes across to me as an academic. The Foreign Minister portfolio suits him to a T, I think. But in a crisis, I am not sure if he is Machiavellian enough. E.g. would he shoot 100,000 protesters to save the economy? - Old man would never blink an eye.

If you recall, George Yeo also didn't perform well again Dr. Chee Soon Juan in the mid 90s healthcare cost review committee. (Dr. Chee has had two MPs in Parliament and could raise the issue officially enough to call for a parliamentary committee.) George was lucky that Dr. Chee (whether by mistake or by intended exaggeration) misplaced a decimal point, or something like that. The media blew it loud as wide as Typo Chee. That didn't disprove anything or stop the skyrocketing medical costs from the 90s, as we all should know well by the 2000s.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Raja was a seasoned journalist, baptised by fire, a street politician and fighter. He was already engaged with the first group of Malayan Forum guys before they had the baseroom meetings at LKY's Oxley Rise mansion. He was definitely a master at the mass media and a Goebbels for LKY, but I'm not sure that GY is not equal to him in his power of analysis and joining the dots in geopolitics. Sometimes I think Raja was good at twisting his words when the occasion needed it, and loved to paint simple scenarios into grandiose conspiracy schemes, and made up words along the way esp. with his -isms. devan Nair was another one.

He was a true idealogue. I think LKY found him amusing and thoroughly in his element with idealogies and politicese, but harmless as a power rival as he was a very loyal lapdog.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a feeling that if LKY kicked the bucket, PAP might collapse...Just my thoughts. :biggrin::biggrin:

If China and the CCCP can survive and prosper and lead more than a billion people after Chairman Mao Tsetung, I don't see why the tiny Singapore or PAP cannot survive after LKY.

H

Hanzo Kattori

If China and the CCCP can survive and prosper and lead more than a billion people after Chairman Mao Tsetung, I don't see why the tiny Singapore or PAP cannot survive after LKY.
Another no brainer from you self admitting that LKY is a communist. :biggrin: