• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Joetys, you should build your future house like the GMM-owner's house in Thonglor, just behind the BTS. Now that's living large.

photo_zpsd55817b9.jpg

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lived a little last night at Long Table (Column Hotel in soi 16). Great 25 stores views, promised good sunset HH from 5-7. Prices not OTT unlike Lebua or similar. Sandals still ok, sat night crowd ok. Had a kick on sensor taps with dragon design :p

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Joetys, you should build your future house like the GMM-owner's house in Thonglor, just behind the BTS. Now that's living large.

Waaa Thonglor some more very hiso la bro. I just sell screws cannot la, rough hardware guy not so hiso la.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's a new hotel called marriott along the BTS line between thonglor and ekkamai i think. Joetys do you know of this new hotel? It looks really classy.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Caught SQ girls moonlighting in Thaniya tonight

[video=youtube;3MQZzc1c0gU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MQZzc1c0gU[/video]

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's a new hotel called marriott along the BTS line between thonglor and ekkamai i think. Joetys do you know of this new hotel? It looks really classy.

photo-Copy_zps1cf06255.jpg

photo1-Copy_zpsff6e5a03.jpg

Summary: Not that great. Smells of new paint. Only approx half the hotel is open for business, rooms still being worked on. Zilch around the area. Previous photo of house I posted taken from exec lounge on 40th floor.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Summary: Not that great. Smells of new paint. Only approx half the hotel is open for business, rooms still being worked on. Zilch around the area. Previous photo of house I posted taken from exec lounge on 40th floor.

Wow still not fully done yet. Cannot blame the hotel if it smells of new paint or furniture. It's new. Some customers really fussy. Saw reviews of ppl complaining of the smell of new furniture not being good for health and of course ppl complain of old hotels and furniture.

What do you think of dusit thani in silom? I think it might be the best hotel in bkk lebua state tower is another good one.

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow still not fully done yet. Cannot blame the hotel if it smells of new paint or furniture. It's new. Some customers really fussy. Saw reviews of ppl complaining of the smell of new furniture not being good for health and of course ppl complain of old hotels and furniture.

What do you think of dusit thani in silom? I think it might be the best hotel in bkk lebua state tower is another good one.

Maybe Marriott Sukhumvit not for you. It is Indian-owned :smile:

Sorry never stayed at Dusit nor Lebua. I think best hotel I've stayed in was Peninsula (modern and every thing works) and next was the old Marriott on the River (now it is the Anantara). Got a great room there once with a wrap-around balcony with walk-out doors on 3 sides, right next to river. According to colleagues, best hotel is currently St Regis on Ratchadamri or Kempinsky next to Paragon.

Hotels I've stayed at over the years:
Hyatt Erawan (lousy, old. The one thing I remember is the tissues in room being half-sized.
Four Seasons (stayed at the older courtyard wing - looks like a motel. Lousy)
Renaissance Ratchaprasong (very edgy - very Versace is the best description. Nice. Close to Chidlom BTS. Best location + room)
JW Marriott (before current renovations. Very good service and best of all, half the guests in the lounge in the morning are take-aways from Nana)
Conrad (very nice, but looong walk up Witthayu)
Millennium Hilton on the river. Nice rooms but smallish. Great river view - every room has a view. Bed faces window so you wake up to river view. Great lounge views. Has infinity pool overlooking river.
Shangri-la. Stayed in both normal wing and Krungthep wing. Krungthep wing really nice. Great chinese food.
Holiday Inn Silom. Stayed in Executive Club level - the rooms are big with a huge bathroom with twin sinks and a large wraparound couch by the window. Lots of Indian customers (hotel is Indian owned)

and probably a few more I can't remember.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hyatt Erawan (lousy, old. The one thing I remember is the tissues in room being half-sized. Four Seasons (stayed at the older courtyard wing - looks like a motel. Lousy)
Renaissance Ratchaprasong (very edgy - very Versace is the best description. Nice. Close to Chidlom BTS. Best location + room).
Fair lowdown on better known (top end) business hotels.. you live well, Roti.:p

Agree on Hyatt Erawan -undeserved of namesake. But basement cafe morphs into some bar with FLs packaged for business types angmohs (speak of target segment):wink:

And drop any misconceived ideas on Banyan Tree (circa thb4.5k++ up). Other than great views in high floors and pricey top restaurant, the in-room furnishings too dated (classic?). Imagine trying to open old style room safe by pushing the (spring operated) door. Always wanted to try nearby Sukhotai with gardens, as lunch place had a nice relaxing ambience.

Fact is good Bkk business hotels can be had for much less than Sg or HK, with better service to boot. Other week, was with some 30 pax in a conference at Oriental Residence (Wittayu, almost next to US embassy). What quiet, under-stated luxury and great staff (well groomed front office gals gave me the hots)

http://www.oriental-residence.com/?gclid=CI2ciJ_Wj7gCFWwG4god8zcAOg

Contrast was telling when I moved to my regular Aetas Phoenchit (across Conrad). But then I got this can't beat rate thb2440 nett (incl abf). Did 1 nighter at Aetas Lumpini, newer rooms and next to Lumpini MRT. But like quietr stretch Phenchit

http://www.aetashotels.com/

Last edited:

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fair lowdown on better known (top end) business hotels.. you live well, Roti.:p

Of course you know that work pays for the hotels, not out of pocket. I am also fairly responsible, I don't splurge even when on expense, I try to stick to 4-5k baht.
That rules out high-end properties like Peninsula, St Regis, Oriental which are 8k and up. Peninsula I stayed once only because several years ago, they had great rates. Not anymore.

I am also not choosy. What I want is great bed, strong shower and fast internet. All else is fluff e.g. Four Seasons hands out L'occitane toiletries which still doesn't change the fact it's an old hotel.

On my own dime, I stay at cheap sub-1k places :smile: but if I wanted to spend, one place I might stay at is the Hansar, near Four Seasons, on Ratchdamri.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Whenever I travel within Thailand doing sales I'd stay in local "hotels" my budget 350-450 baht. Rooms are usually too big cos furniture so little sometimes could be a little scary. These are very clean very clean hotels with wifi and frequented by travelling salesman like me.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..doing sales I'd stay in local "hotels" my budget 350-450 baht. Rooms are usually too big cos furniture so little sometimes could be a little scary. ..very clean hotels with wifi and frequented by travelling salesman like me.
rotikosong said:
On my own dime, I stay at cheap sub-1k places
Always wondered how B2 chain (travelling salesman types?) works out, pops out in most cities. For Bkk range is circa thb700.

http://www.b2hotel.com/

Personal comfort is very individual, like shacking up with another resident khun thai's apartment :p

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Always wondered how B2 chain (travelling salesman types?) works out, pops out in most cities. For Bkk range is circa thb700.

http://www.b2hotel.com/

Personal comfort is very individual, like shacking up with another resident khun thai's apartment :p

No idea on this B2 thingy, THB 700 is beyond me, I mean its not a necessity for work only. But I do pamper myself silly on vacation.

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chon, Long Beach still do this its up with customers. They will do it in front of you. I really no heart to see the prawns just and struggle and then scalded by boiling water la so I always choose for them to do it in kitchen.

Fucking hypocrite! Don't eat lah! Fuck you meat eater! :oIo::biggrin:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Fucking hypocrite! Don't eat lah! Fuck you meat eater! :oIo::biggrin:

If one likes Thai pop music and nice Thai food, I suggest a nice restaurant Makmai close to Fashion Island Mall. Just came home from Makmai had a great dinner there tonight with Hennessy of course.

[video=youtube;5Botq9tcV-U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Botq9tcV-U[/video]

Miang Hoi Klang (salad with hum)

Parakuay (very similar to big silver fish)

PLa Kapong Samong Pai (Sea Bass with Thai Herb)

Close up

Pla Taptim thot Katiam (deep fried Tilapia with garlic)

Larp moo thot (minced pork with Thai herb fried)

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Maybe Marriott Sukhumvit not for you. It is Indian-owned :smile:

Sorry never stayed at Dusit nor Lebua. I think best hotel I've stayed in was Peninsula (modern and every thing works) and next was the old Marriott on the River (now it is the Anantara). Got a great room there once with a wrap-around balcony with walk-out doors on 3 sides, right next to river. According to colleagues, best hotel is currently St Regis on Ratchadamri or Kempinsky next to Paragon.

Hotels I've stayed at over the years:
Hyatt Erawan (lousy, old. The one thing I remember is the tissues in room being half-sized.
Four Seasons (stayed at the older courtyard wing - looks like a motel. Lousy)
Renaissance Ratchaprasong (very edgy - very Versace is the best description. Nice. Close to Chidlom BTS. Best location + room)
JW Marriott (before current renovations. Very good service and best of all, half the guests in the lounge in the morning are take-aways from Nana)
Conrad (very nice, but looong walk up Witthayu)
Millennium Hilton on the river. Nice rooms but smallish. Great river view - every room has a view. Bed faces window so you wake up to river view. Great lounge views. Has infinity pool overlooking river.
Shangri-la. Stayed in both normal wing and Krungthep wing. Krungthep wing really nice. Great chinese food.
Holiday Inn Silom. Stayed in Executive Club level - the rooms are big with a huge bathroom with twin sinks and a large wraparound couch by the window. Lots of Indian customers (hotel is Indian owned)

and probably a few more I can't remember.

Is jw marriott pretty close to nana plaza itself?

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset