• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

WP Supports UNEQUAL Treatment of Citizens?

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bro I am asking you what YOU think were the differences between Viswa's speech and LTK's reply + lack of understanding. I have my own conclusions but that's not relevant to knowing what you think.

if you are talking about Viswa i think he was just trying to be accommodative and seeking a compromise while maintaining his POVs...btw i think it was LKY and another PAP MP who made amendments not Ng

Maybe so. I read somewhere that it was Ng, but maybe I was wrong.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Porifirio

Every time a democrat or republican want or want to not want something, they always refer back to the constitution and the bill of rights.

Mr Low was probably wary of going down that path going by his words. We will I suspect even if the PAP was out of power still likely refer to the pledge and disagree over which policies best serve to implement it

Locke

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear E Jay

He also said a lot more in his speech then just a call for free and fair elections. If you were honest you would acknowledge that his speech covered both , political, and well economic issues bread and butter all in reference to the Pledge.

His penchant for avoiding even the appearance of politicization stems from his believe that he is able to read the chinese middle ground, or working class middle ground better, but again that is my personal opinion and that is reflected in the manner he engages as a opposition politician.

The issues raised by Visawan were not new in my view. The link to the pledge was. If I read Low correctly he wants the pledge to remain neutral , that all parties and all politicians can refer to of whatever stripe whether SDP PAP WP RP , and that we are all in our own way striving to implement or thinking of ways to bring it true for all Singaporeans. Would you or can you even agree with this ideal ?

That idea I can agreed with though not expressed carefully and caveated enough. The need to have the pledge as a neutral unifying them for all politicians to agree on even as they disagree about the policies to bring it forth.

Locke

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore is managed by a despot that worked for the japanese Kempetei. LKY had many options to choose BUT he chose the Kempetei because there is something in LKY that desires absolute power - a penile affliction perhaps.

LKY went on to destroy an entire generation of politcians with Operation Cold Store. LKY went on and destroyed a couple of newer generations of thought-sayers with his policies in sinkieland.

LKY is a despot. A dictator. Nothing more and certainly nothing less. The manner with which he controls the entire media persona in sinkieland and all its paths towards justice is simple and straight forward if you realise, as he did, when he was a youth, that he is a facsist. The pappies are fascist and if you don't get that hen you shouldn't be talking about politics especialiiy since you have been a social breed of his policies.

LKY and all that he stands for is evil because fascism is evil and never lasts long. Fasctst dictators die and leave their power to their sons. And their sons, sons.

Just stay away from the pappies and that means anyone previously related to them and that includes ALL civil servants. These people cannot be trusted with your laundry let alone your life. They are despicable and are easy to bribe. All LKY has done is to leegalee corrupt the entire civil service and the GLCs with his control of money in the country.

When LKY dies, will the pappies die?

NO!!!!!!!!!!

The pappies haave continued to build their strength made up of the media and absolute control of the legal forces on the land. Sinkieland will always be sinkieland because sinkieland is small and sinkieland will always be Leeapore because sinkiepore is sinkieland. Cannot run lah you all. Too small for anything other than to blow the pappies horns and to be a prostitute for FTs.

And forget about the WP! Low is a poor politixcan. Low only scores points as a PAP opposition. Such a sad and patheptic individual to put his face in public and everyone knows how pathetic he is. Notice that the media seldom shows his wife and childr3en. If they knew thatir friends know that Low i their father or husband then all hell will break ose because how can abn opposition member be so nice to the incumbent? Well, Low has made it his own. And when history is shown in its true light, LOW and ALL his family members willl know that they are nothing but parasites of the country they cxall home.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear GMS

Ok I was at the Serangoon Rally and what came across was this.

1. None of the speakers, did a Visawan, none of the speakers linked the pledge to the issues of GE 2006.

2. The pledge was spoke on its own and yes though it reaffirmed the commitment of the party to the ideals of the pledge because of 1) , that effect was lost. What came out though was something different and equally effective.

3. That we are all Singaporeans even if we vote WP. That WP Voters are Singaporeans to who believe in Singapore and that the WP is loyal to Singapore.

Cheers

Locke

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear E Jay

He also said a lot more in his speech then just a call for free and fair elections. If you were honest you would acknowledge that his speech covered both , political, and well economic issues bread and butter all in reference to the Pledge.

His penchant for avoiding even the appearance of politicization stems from his believe that he is able to read the chinese middle ground, or working class middle ground better, but again that is my personal opinion and that is reflected in the manner he engages as a opposition politician.

The issues raised by Visawan were not new in my view. The link to the pledge was. If I read Low correctly he wants the pledge to remain neutral , that all parties and all politicians can refer to of whatever stripe whether SDP PAP WP RP , and that we are all in our own way striving to implement or thinking of ways to bring it true for all Singaporeans. Would you or can you even agree with this ideal ?

That idea I can agreed with though not expressed carefully and caveated enough. The need to have the pledge as a neutral unifying them for all politicians to agree on even as they disagree about the policies to bring it forth.

Locke

Ejay, are you a dishonest person?:eek: Dr. Chee Soon Juan, why didn't you play Teochew games and strategies. Look! if you had done that, you will be contributing nothing yet scam a decent salary along with many other opportunities!

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For those who've been to GE 97 MacPherson SDP rally, Dr. Chee recited the pledge until he cried. Then, he still lost and cried. The pledge is just "aspiration" just as the president is just "ceremonial". The pledge isn't even part of or binding upon the constitution like the US bill of rights have legal effects on the US constitution.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Dear GMS

Ok I was at the Serangoon Rally and what came across was this.

1. None of the speakers, did a Visawan, none of the speakers linked the pledge to the issues of GE 2006.

2. The pledge was spoke on its own and yes though it reaffirmed the commitment of the party to the ideals of the pledge because of 1) , that effect was lost. What came out though was something different and equally effective.

3. That we are all Singaporeans even if we vote WP. That WP Voters are Singaporeans to who believe in Singapore and that the WP is loyal to Singapore.

Cheers

Locke

Is that politizing the pledge according to one's need? :wink:

The mere recitation in a political rally, is political in nature, not NEUTRAL as you put it. Although it is not "explicitly dissected" to its political interpretation, but no doubt, the pledge is used for a political motive.

And to me, the Pledge itself, IS POLITICAL! Not APOLITICALLY NEUTRAL as you put it. This is basically because, the PLEDGE is used as a tool of uniting values, explicitly stating what the People of the Nation believe and PLEDGED to achieve! If it is something deemed "unrealistic", then it is just a tool of hoodwinking the population?

Now, LKY has explicitly said that it is REDUNDANT as the supposed values are UNREALISTIC! How could one pledge to do something that is deemed to be "UNREALISTIC"? In effect, the Pledge has become just empty words only meant to hoodwink Primary students only.

And for Low TK to agree in principle that the Pledge should not be dissected and made comparison to what we have achieved as a Nation so far, is just an implicit agreement to LKY's point that the Pledge is UNREALISTIC. Each and every values stated in the Pledge is not something "UNREALISTIC ASPIRATION" that Singapore could not achieve at all. And EACH and EVERY VALUES could be examined closely with POLITICAL REALITY on the ground. That's the point.

Sad to say, we have been made to recite this PLEDGE of EMPTY PROMISES and IDEAS for the whole of our lives! Don't you feel cheated at all? I rest my case.

Goh Meng Seng

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
The poor chap still hasn't learnt how to read, missing the word "excessive" and mistakening "politicise" as an antonym for "neutral", among others.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
The poor chap still hasn't learnt how to read, missing the word "excessive" and mistakening "politicise" as an antonym for "neutral", among others.

Well, as usual, you will miss the whole forest when you try to count the leaves on the trees. :wink:

Goh Meng Seng

NgEjay

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Dear E Jay

Locke

Dear lockeliberal,

When I was talking about the confused swamp LTK had moored himself on, I did not mean you to follow in with him.

If you read my postings on Viswa, I gave a concise breakdown of all the main points he covered, and I acknowledged that his motion was as broad-ranging as it was hard-hitting. It is the PAP that has chosen to focus on a narrow segment of his speech. I cannot be faulted similarly.

What does LTK mean by politicization anyway? National values, societal tenets cannot be discussed in isolation, in the abstract. They have to be considered in relation to what Singaporeans are going through on a daily basis, how much rights and freedoms they have. LTK is merely cherry picking on the issue of politicization of the Pledge. In reality, politics, civil society, community life, and pocketbook issues are so intertwined and interlinked that they can never be separated.

LTK wants the pledge to remain neutral? What does that mean?

National ideals can never be neutral. We hold ideals because we believe certain things are right for Singapore, and other things not so right. Behind the flowery words lies our intrinsic notion of good and bad, right and wrong, and our opinions on all the grey areas in between.

Don't obfuscate the issue by talking about the need for neutrality when the Parliamentary debate never even sought to define what that notion meant in relation to the Pledge and our national tenets.

I agree with you on the need to distinguish overarching ideals that we should collectively embrace as a nation, independent of political affiliation, and our specific ideas on how those values can be implemented in practical terms.

In my opinion however, this distinction was lost when MM Lee sought to demolish Viswa in that particular manner and when the mainstream media distracted Singaporeans once again with theatrics rather than substance.

Unlike LTK, Chiam made full use of the opportunity and he did extremely well in my opinion. It is sad that after so many years in politics, LTK, unlike Chiam, does not realize you don't always have to blatantly side with the PAP to secure your own ground. If Chiam was political finesse, LTK was poor table manners.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
I didn't say you don't have it, but have more serious problems that's all. :wink:

Goh Meng Seng

Anyone would know the difference in political ambition between a nick here and an identified politician to know who has more work cut. I would say, take a leaf out of Ng Ejay's book. I may not agree with his approach of aligning his views based on his favour to different parties, but he understands what the person he debates with is saying and never misses the point. Any idiot would know that's very basic.

NgEjay

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Is that politizing the pledge according to one's need? :wink:

And to me, the Pledge itself, IS POLITICAL! Not APOLITICALLY NEUTRAL as you put it. This is basically because, the PLEDGE is used as a tool of uniting values, explicitly stating what the People of the Nation believe and PLEDGED to achieve! If it is something deemed "unrealistic", then it is just a tool of hoodwinking the population?

Now, LKY has explicitly said that it is REDUNDANT as the supposed values are UNREALISTIC! How could one pledge to do something that is deemed to be "UNREALISTIC"? In effect, the Pledge has become just empty words only meant to hoodwink Primary students only.

And for Low TK to agree in principle that the Pledge should not be dissected and made comparison to what we have achieved as a Nation so far, is just an implicit agreement to LKY's point that the Pledge is UNREALISTIC. Each and every values stated in the Pledge is not something "UNREALISTIC ASPIRATION" that Singapore could not achieve at all. And EACH and EVERY VALUES could be examined closely with POLITICAL REALITY on the ground. That's the point.

Goh Meng Seng

Totally second what Goh Meng Seng has said here.

E-Jay

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Anyone would know the difference in political ambition between a nick here and an identified politician to know who has more work cut. I would say, take a leaf out of Ng Ejay's book. I may not agree with his approach of aligning his views based on his favour to different parties, but he understands what the person he debates with is saying and never misses the point. Any idiot would know that's very basic.

Haha! A nick like you of course has ambition here. :wink:

I am not debating with you anyway, why worry? At the very best, just cherry picking with you only. And yes, just shown that you have the very problem of not reading properly; oh, not the reading problem, just the presumptuous part. :wink:

Goh Meng Seng