• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

WP Supports UNEQUAL Treatment of Citizens?

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
thanks as always for the info...a pity davi never utilised his brilliant eloquence in parliament even though he was there for quite afew terms...real waste of talent...i guess he was there just to act as the legal watchdog for harry & gang...

btw i use to like to listen to chua sian chin's diction whenever he spoke...never cared for the substance but liked his inflexion...he would have made a good newsreader just like that chap norman:smile:

Davinder commented about the quality of New Paper journalism. Balji who then was the editor came out swinging and challenged Davinder to point out examples of bad journalism. Davinder withdrew his comments and became the quietest MP in Singapore's Parliament History. Chua Sian Chin would have been quietest but he was the long serving Home Affairs Minister so had little choice but answer questions from the back bench.

Davinder's contribution in Parliament was absolutely nil.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think he felt that the Govt failed to restrain SPH and made him look bad.

Yes, Chua was unique in that.

thanks as always for the info...a pity davi never utilised his brilliant eloquence in parliament even though he was there for quite afew terms...real waste of talent...i guess he was there just to act as the legal watchdog for harry & gang...

btw i use to like to listen to chua sian chin's diction whenever he spoke...never cared for the substance but liked his inflexion...he would have made a good newsreader just like that chap norman:smile:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
i must say that i am not surprised to hear this...your enlightened view appears to be in minority from my interaction with SAP educated chaps...however what concerns me even more is the present attitude amongst the school going youths of today...
I don't remember anyone from my same cohort hold such views. It is more of a racial-political view which is very much a taboo subject among us back then. :wink:

Goh Meng Seng

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thats reason why I complimented you for it. Its still a taboo subject and you were prepared to air your views. Till today, when I broach the subject of SAP schools or race politics amongst Malays and Chinese no matter how well I know them, no one will bite. Indians on the other hand will comment in a light manner but not the emotive part.

I will usuallly have to throw various views as bait before I see reaction from Malay and Chinese and mind you , these are people I know well. I even seen wives chide their husbands for airing their views.

I don't remember anyone from my same cohort hold such views. It is more of a racial-political view which is very much a taboo subject among us back then. :wink:

Goh Meng Seng

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the early SAP years, SAP student, school management, teachers and parents identified SAP schools with Nantah and the thousands of Chinese from South East Asia - rich and poor who contributed to its construction. There are documented records indicating that street walkers in Chinatown sold flowers to raise money for Nantah. The Nantah legacy shifted to the SAP schools and they carried that banner.

Its was something dear to them at that time. These people also knew that the govt funding was not necessary for the SAP schools but did so to have a say and the political dimension became firemly entrenched.

I am sure things have changed over time. :oIo:

i must say that i am not surprised to hear this...your enlightened view appears to be in minority from my interaction with SAP educated chaps...however what concerns me even more is the present attitude amongst the school going youths of today...

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Dear Locke,

Learning an extra language does not need extra intelligence, really. It is a matter of environment, interests, habits and hard work.

FDI is not the only thing that determines whether a society should throw away their own language and learn other languages. Else, China will be in linguistic trouble right now!

Taiwanese and S Koreans do depend on FDI in certain aspects. But technological wise, they are dependent on the Western countries as well. I mean, the only way to have technological transfers, you need to understand other languages as well!

Well, they do send their brightest overseas, so do we. The difference does not lie in economics alone. There are many other countries in the world that have their own cultural languages preserved even though they deal with the world in English. Germany, France, Sweden (if I remember correctly, Sweden have 4 or 5 official languages) etc. Many people claim that they are homogeneous but no, not Sweden nor Finland. They comprise of many European races and now, with globalization, many other races as well.

The answer lies in the civil service administration willingness to preserve their official languages instead of taking the simple way out to take English as "Master Language" to solve it all.

It is only in Singapore that we keep thinking that learning multiple languages is a very difficult task. But yet, we see people willing to learn extra languages like French, German or Japanese instead of their own cultural languages! Why? Motivation?

Languages are something you need constant engagement before you could be proficient in them. Some people learn many languages because they have many different girlfriends from all over the world.

Learning Chinese in HK is very easy, while learning English will be more difficult. It is a total direct opposite of Singapore. Why? It is basically because when you walk on the streets of these two cities, you could see some glaring differences. In Hong Kong, Chinese characters are all over the place while in Singapore, only English ones are available.

Same for Taiwan as well as Japan. Of course, the main difference between Taiwan and Hong Kong is that one speak Mandarin while the other speak Cantonese. This is one of the key reasons on how languages are preserved...i.e. Daily usage, right from road signs to shops and speaking. This is especially important for languages that are in symbolic forms, unlike English which is in phonetic combination of alphabets.

The Civil Service plays an important role in this sense because road signs and even signage at service counters make the difference. Yes, it is going to be bulky with 4 languages all on sign boards for us, but this is how languages are being preserved.

Singapore's Chinese education has taken the wrong turn in recent years. They try to do away with recognition of Chinese characters while only concentrate on Hanyu Pingying. This is the strange way of pushing the romantization of Chinese. It will bring more harm than good to Chinese learning.

Goh Meng Seng

Dear GMS

I am afraid not many are as intelligent as you in being effectively bi lingual. The models you cited S Korea and Taiwan developed without the primacy of English because of their lack of dependence on FDI and their concentration on manufacturing and whilst the vast majority lacked the English base, the taiwanese and the S Koreans made sure that the best had the English education and sent them overseas. HK was dependent on FDI but not as dependent on manufacturing and went into services. It imported large numbers of its English talent. The smartest one's were effectively bi lingual but for many and yes the vast majority I saw them struggling in the UK because English was not the primary medium in HK.. I speak of those who were children of retired civil servants, police officers who were entitled to free UNI education in the UK

The policy of English primacy was I feel the correct in but the need for those who could be taught another first language and yes "minority" could have been better implemented. without SAP schools.

Locke

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Dear Scroobal,

It is always not easy to hold views that are contrary to popular trend or mindset. There is always a price to pay for holding such views. :(

At times, I really feel that we need to be more truthful to ourselves and our beliefs.

Goh Meng Seng

Thats reason why I complimented you for it. Its still a taboo subject and you were prepared to air your views. Till today, when I broach the subject of SAP schools or race politics amongst Malays and Chinese no matter how well I know them, no one will bite. Indians on the other hand will comment in a light manner but not the emotive part.

I will usuallly have to throw various views as bait before I see reaction from Malay and Chinese and mind you , these are people I know well. I even seen wives chide their husbands for airing their views.