• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why the Manchurians could defeat the Ming?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
true, but if the british have a better commander, he can beat the japanese. But they put a crappy general there, why because singapore was not top military priority at that time. They take the rubbish and throw there, while the best are fighting the germans.

british commanders in north african, middle east and european theaters were no better. british command in ww2 simply sucked.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Monty is great.

monty was overrated. destroyed his entire elite paratroop force in market garden and was fired by eisenhower. americans ignored him, crossed the rhine and invaded germany on a broad front while he was still simmering over his map on a narrow penetration plan thru' northern europe, same route that he took in market garden. monty believed in narrow fronts and long supply lines, a disaster for any battle in ww2.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Forvendet said:
Yes. Lt-Gen Percival, senior enough? Equal rank to Lt-Gen. Yamashita. Lose a a battle and surrender, so what? Carry on fighting under those circumstances for British pride, your ancestors might be starved to death and you not be born. Oh yes sorry it slipped my mind, you trust the SAF Brig-Gens and Maj-Gens more now.

My apologies. You are correct. The information came from an unchecked source. But what made you think I trust the SAF BGs and MGs more?

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
vamjok said:
i believe any lower secondary school textbook can find this.

british outnumber the jap 3 : 1

I did a check on the figures. There are differences in figures depending on the source. The 3 : 1 ratio was probably due to Yamashita's boast that with 30,000 troops he defeated British force of 90,000. According to encyclopedia.com, the IJA had an establishment strength of 60,000 at the start of battle but under strength by about one-third (it was because of this that the Japanese had to call the bluff) against a British force of 88,600. This force comprised not only British, but also Australian, Indian and Malayan forces. Also the British had only 150 aircraft compared to the enemy's 600. The Japanese also had 80 tanks and 40 other armoured vehicle, a more complete fighting force. The Brits had no tanks. At the point of surrender, the IJA had gone up to 70,000 with the British force reaching 140,000 with 125,000 involved in the surrender. Despite the disparity in the forces, the vastly superior supporting elements of the Japs caused most analysts then to consider the fall of Singapore as inevitable.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I did a check on the figures. There are differences in figures depending on the source. The 3 : 1 ratio was probably due to Yamashita's boast that with 30,000 troops he defeated British force of 90,000. According to encyclopedia.com, the IJA had an establishment strength of 60,000 at the start of battle but under strength by about one-third (it was because of this that the Japanese had to call the bluff) against a British force of 88,600. This force comprised not only British, but also Australian, Indian and Malayan forces. Also the British had only 150 aircraft compared to the enemy's 600. The Japanese also had 80 tanks and 40 other armoured vehicle, a more complete fighting force. The Brits had no tanks. At the point of surrender, the IJA had gone up to 70,000 with the British force reaching 140,000 with 125,000 involved in the surrender. Despite the disparity in the forces, the vastly superior supporting elements of the Japs caused most analysts then to consider the fall of Singapore as inevitable.

there were shiploads of tens of thousands of british and aussie soldiers that arrived just in time to surrender. from ship to changi, they have never forgiven the british command for that fiasco. sorry, no kiwis. aussie arrivals were the 8th division and the 2/4th machine gun battalion; british new arrivals were the 18th division.

Last edited: