• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Why Jamus Lim join Workers' Party ?

jw5

Loyal
Jamus asks for permission to visit. :biggrin:

1653063011679.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus changed his running route. :biggrin:

Jamus Lim

22 hrs ·

Over the past two weekends, I deviated from my usual running routes and ran along Sungei Punggol instead. The goal was to scope out a trail along the river, over various distances. I’m happy to report that we’ve since established turning points for 2.4km and (up to) 10km, and we’re inviting #SengkangGRC residents to join us for an evening jog every first Saturday of the month. Whether you just like to enjoy the beautiful scenery, or are trying to meet a fitness goal, feel free to join us! We’ll plan on forming several groups—some who will run, others who will walk—so there’ll likely be folks who are attuned to your fitness level. This is our meeting point, at 6:30pm: https://rebrand.ly/runWithMP

1653224620650.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus' doctor told him there's a bug going around preschools. :frown:

Jamus Lim

15 hrs ·

Our little one has been ill over the past few days (stomach flu), and so, like all parents, we’ve vacillated between bouts of cleaning up puke and poop, and dealing with fluctuating tantrums and malaise. And like all parents, we worry for her wellbeing, and derive enormous joy when—after a bad episode—she rebounds to her usual good spirits.
Our doctor tells us that there’s a bug going around preschools, and that all kids go through this, before developing some immunity. So there’s a silver lining to her current discomfort. Another upside is that we’ve had a more time to return to one of the routines that I’ve missed most—reading to her—as she has not always been in a mood for storytime as she has gotten older (and, unlike when she was an infant, is now able to squirm out of my arms when I do so).
The little queen is feeling better now (she has returned to her usual giggling, dancing, and singing). So if you’re going through such an ordeal with your kids: don’t despair! I’m sure you’ll find your own silver lining through the experience, and both of you will come out stronger and better for it.
May be an image of 1 person, baby, indoor and text that says ANT AND

jw5

Loyal
WP thanks volunteers. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

20 hrs ·

1653484038727.png

Sengkang GRC

21 hrs ·
One of the important principles that the #workersparty believes in is that, as Singaporeans, we have a collective responsibility to care for one another. That is why we emphasize that those who have been more fortunate have a greater role to play in helping uplift the less fortunate in our society.
By a similar token, as a party, we believe in the importance of sharing the burden of our political commitments collectively. This was evident tonight, as our MPs gathered together in #SengkangGRC to perform the first of what will be an ongoing effort to visit the households of #Compassvale.
Thanks to the contingent of volunteers, drawn from across all divisions, who helped us out tonight. With their support, we received much valuable feedback, suggestions, and encouragement, all of which we will follow up on. Such input is how we learn about the cares, concerns, and challenges faced by Singaporean families, which enables us to do our job of representing their voices even better. #makingyourvotecount

jw5

Loyal
Jamus had surprising house visits. :wink:

Jamus Lim

13 hrs ·
Although house visits are often rather staid affairs—owing to the seriousness of listening to residents and gathering feedback—on occasion, they can also throw up surprises. This was the case this week, at both of our back-to-back house visits across #SengkangGRC, where #TeamSengkang hit 286C #Compassvale, wrapped up 334B, and got a start on 338B #Anchorvale.
At one place, we met a long-time resident who shared about how he was an avid birder. He kept a beautiful macaw, with colorful, shimmering feathers. The resident explained that the bird could return freely, and would return even after being let loose for flight. He also explained that it didn’t scratch either, because its claws were always well-trimmed. I surmise that this freedom was made possible because the owner was respectful of the bird as well as its living environment; by providing excellent care, he created conditions where everyone (including, likely, his neighbors) involved was happy.
At another, we met a young resident who had just been temporarily suspended from school. Although punishments like these are discouraging, I shared about how my own misadventures had led a teacher to put me in charge of the miscreants in our primary school class, while simultaneously challenging us to exceed expectations. Our group rose to the challenge, and outperformed. This little stroke of genius by my then-teacher suggests to me that, sometimes, what irrepressible young minds need is just a way to channel their energies into something productive, and their lives may be transformed as a result.

jw5

Loyal
Jamus discusses the issue of adoption. :coffee:

Jamus Lim

6 hrs ·
As most of us are aware, Singaporeans aren’t having enough babies. Our fertility rate has plummeted in recent decades, to a little more than 1 child per family. This means—among other things—that we are setting ourselves up for a shrinking workforce. We’re also not unique. Fertility has also collapsed in other wealthy Asian economies, such as Japan, Hong Kong, Korea, and Taiwan. Their governments, like ours, have policies in place to encourage childbirth. There are many reasons for this.
The high cost of raising kids, the enormous pressure our students face, long waits for matrimonial homes, and later marriages as we prioritize careers all contribute. For couples that start families later—for whatever reason—biological limits can come into play. That’s why some countries (including us) have chosen to subsidize fertility treatments. In the most recent Parliamentary sitting, the House also revised adoption laws.
Adoption can raise fascinating philosophical questions, like the belief in blood-being-thicker-than-water. I’ve never agreed with this sentiment; after all, the person I’m closest to in this world (my wife) isn’t biologically related to me. But I love her all the same. Bonds are built by the investment of time, and shared experiences. Any forever parent will readily explain that they love their adopted kids unreservedly. So I believe that our laws should encourage such acts of love. While many of the revisions in the bill were excellent, I spoke on a number of additional concerns I had about the adoption process, based on extensive discussions with adoptive parents, and those in the industry.
One concern was how, post-COVID-19, the process had become drawn out, with the dependent pass issued for 21 months instead of the former 9. While this accommodates pandemic-related delays, it can also encourage complacency. Another concern had to do with how adoptive parents could not access all the usual benefits that birth parents could, like being able to purchase health insurance for the child before the adoption process was complete. Imagine taking a baby to A&E without coverage.
A third had to do with how the court could essentially mandate counseling for adoptive parents indefinitely. I felt this was unfair; after a transition period, we should rely on other laws for dealing with parental neglect that do not discriminate between the two types. Finally, I felt that more could be done to keep private adoption agencies accountable. Right now, adoptions are treated as an exchange between private individuals. Frequent violators don’t face a risk of being permanently disbarred from the business.
Adoption should be a win-win-win process: biological parents who are unable to raise a child aren’t burdened; adoptive parents fulfill the dreams of parenthood; and a child gets a shot at life within a loving family. Our country also wins, as we create more happy families and happy children that will be the next generation to fly our nation’s flag high, and carry our values into the future. #makingyourvotecount

1653749729389.png

jw5

Loyal
Jamus' sister is quite chio. :geek:

Jamus Lim

12 hrs ·
Although I’m 7 years older than my sister, she several steps ahead on the childraising front: she’s got two, and her elder one just entered primary school. Ditto for my wife; our nephews are both older than our baby (even my American sister—a full decade younger than me—has two kids). Regardless, our little one adores all her cousins (especially the older boys), and we cherish any time we can snatch together with them.
This weekend, we were able to do precisely that: taking advantage of the school holidays and (for me) the 5th Monday of the month (where we have no meet-the-people sessions), we—by which I mean my wife, as logistician-in-chief, along with my sister—were able to cobble together a small getaway with our families and Mom. I also managed to spend some extra time with my sister and her husband, owing to her insistence that climbing a volcano to watch the sunrise was firmly on her bucket list.
Postscript: I’ve been told that I don’t really resemble my sister (she inherited the looks), but apparently our cheekbones render us sufficiently similar.
May be an image of 2 people and outdoors