• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why don't Singapore PROMOTE Teochew, Hokkien, Hakka, Wu, Gan speaking movie and songs

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Why don't Singapore PROMOTE Teochew, Hokkien, Hakka, Wu, Gan speaking movie and s

What about the taiping revolution?

Mandarin and its family of related dialects are spoken by almost a billion people in northern and southwestern China. The dorminant role of Mandarin cannot be denied. Can it be replaced by Shanghainese, Hokkien or Cantonese as the national language? Obviously no right? Also, it was the language of the Han Chinese long before the arrival of foreign Mongol/Manchu invaders.

Some Chinese people particularly the northerners do not consider the southern provinces of Fujian, Guangdong and Guangxi as part of China proper. This is so because these regions are populated by people who are not of pure Han stock but by a mix race between immigrant Han Chinese from the north and local Yue tribes. Their custom, cuisine and opera are different from those of the north. The southern dialects and mandarin have low intelligibility. These southern regions play little or no part in Chinese history. Can anyone name any significant historical event in China or personality that originated from the south?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Why don't Singapore PROMOTE Teochew, Hokkien, Hakka, Wu, Gan speaking movie and s

Mandarin and its family of related dialects are spoken by almost a billion people in northern and southwestern China. The dorminant role of Mandarin cannot be denied. Can it be replaced by Shanghainese, Hokkien or Cantonese as the national language? Obviously no right? Also, it was the language of the Han Chinese long before the arrival of foreign Mongol/Manchu invaders.

Some Chinese people particularly the northerners do not consider the southern provinces of Fujian, Guangdong and Guangxi as part of China proper. This is so because these regions are populated by people who are not of pure Han stock but by a mix race between immigrant Han Chinese from the north and local Yue tribes. Their custom, cuisine and opera are different from those of the north. The southern dialects and mandarin have low intelligibility. These southern regions play little or no part in Chinese history. Can anyone name any significant historical event in China or personality that originated from the south?

yes you can see the similarity in facial structure in southern chinese and thais for example especially northern thais and also some cantonese and sinkies look like malays with tanned skin.

Mercury

Alfrescian
Loyal

ARE YOU STUPID? Do you think having an northern China history conquered non-stopped by barbarians plays an good role?

The father of modern China, the Xinhui revolution (started in Guangzhou), the early Chinese nationalist, the Taiping rebellion all originated in Guangdong. Koxinga originated from Fujian. Do you think northerners would still be doing whatever it wants if southerners didn't freed you northerners, the largest territory expansion was because of southern Chinese leaders.

PURE HAN STOCK? what makes you think north China are pure Han stock when they've been conquered over 20 times by the non-Han barbarians? heck even the freaking beijing dialect is influenced by barbarians. While northern China plays the roles of Chinese civilization and Han empire, they have been flipping conquered soooo many and ruled by non-han people. Northern Han today must have some barbarian blood. Because the nomads both men and women intermarried with them.

Mercury

Alfrescian
Loyal

yes you can see the similarity in facial structure in southern chinese and thais for example especially northern thais and also some cantonese and sinkies look like malays with tanned skin.

WOW! aren't the world getting more blind. All your guesses are superficial, people say Japanese are short and look like Vietnamese but they northern Asian. Hokkiens look more like east asians, people always though I looked either Korean or Japanese. Cantonese look somewhat like Vietnamese.

BUT no Chinese I've seen look like these thais.Find me any southern Chinese who look like these Thais?

full_people_1.jpg

Or look like this.
1123277_f520.jpg
]
Or like this
stock-photo-chon-buri-thailand-april-thai-people-celebrate-songkran-festival-water-festival-in-chon-76473616.jpg

Mercury

Alfrescian
Loyal

It's obvious all Chinese from China are sinodont accept for those in Hainan island, Guangxi. I'll say all southern Chinese are closer to east asian in appearance, with Hokkien being the closest to East asian.

Cantonese are 60% East asians
Hakka are 65% East asians
Teochew are 70% East asians
Wu people are 75% East asians
Hokkien are 75-80% East asians

Also don't forget genetic does not always go with physical features. Ainu are considered north asian despite the fact they look like caucasians (there actually proto-mongoloid like amerindians).

William W. Howells, professor of anthropology at Harvard University, made this map entitled "Distribution of Asian peoples" where "A" represents "Australoids", "N" represents "Negrito" people and the colored yellow and red regions represent "Sinodont" and "Sundadont" "Mongoloids" respectively.[1]

Mongoloid_Australoid_Negrito_Asia_Distribution_of_Asian_peoples_Sinodont_Sundadont.GIF

Last edited:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

. These southern regions play little or no part in Chinese history. Can anyone name any significant historical event in China or personality that originated from the south?

Yes that AssHole Sun Yet Sen...no wonder HK and Macau people dont hold him in such high regard as the Commies, Sinkies and Taiwanese...

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Mandarin Is A Barbarized Han Language

Sideswipe is also right. It is still a Han language but the difference is that it had lost most of its ancient tones to be really considered as a 'real' Chinese language. A 胡化汉语 to be exact.

So what many is saying is true..the spoken standard mandarin is no longer a Chinese language. Its a Bastardised Mandarin/ Manchurian crap language...the Northern Mandarin speakers have always seen themselves to be the pure Han Chinese as compared to the South. which is nothing more than a make believe fairy tale..

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If that is the Case hor..than the southern provinces should not be part of China and be given their own independence. I have never seen the logic of Cantonese people being under the dominion of the the Northern Mandarin Locust. Due to HK and Macau using Cantonese as the main language, in both written, oral, language of administration etc. The Cantonese language is developed both in writing and in speaking. Its just that, many of our history, culture, traditions and beliefs are similar to the North. For example, CNY, Mid Autumn festival etc. Cantonese areas under the control of the Northern Barbarians is like the English Canadians controlling French Speaking Quebec.

WOrse thing is, with the Northerners calling us Dogs etc shows they do not view the Southern Chinese as part of China Proper or even see us as Han Chinese..why be part of China? Totally no logic.

Mercury

Alfrescian
Loyal

If that is the Case hor..than the southern provinces should not be part of China and be given their own independence. I have never seen the logic of Cantonese people being under the dominion of the the Northern Mandarin Locust. Due to HK and Macau using Cantonese as the main language, in both written, oral, language of administration etc. The Cantonese language is developed both in writing and in speaking. Its just that, many of our history, culture, traditions and beliefs are similar to the North. For example, CNY, Mid Autumn festival etc. Cantonese areas under the control of the Northern Barbarians is like the English Canadians controlling French Speaking Quebec.

WOrse thing is, with the Northerners calling us Dogs etc shows they do not view the Southern Chinese as part of China Proper or even see us as Han Chinese..why be part of China? Totally no logic.

That's bullshit, please don't use this Hokkien, Cantonese, or northern barbarians are different. THEY ARE ALL CHINESE, the difference between them is simply cultural and linguistic differences.

Last edited:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That's bullshit, please don't use this Hokkien, Cantonese, or northern barbarians are different. THEY ARE ALL CHINESE, the difference between them is simply cultural and linguistic differences.

So what? Do those Northern Mandarin Speaking Beast treat the rest of us as Han Chinese?? They just called us Dogs mind u...

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

WOW! aren't the world getting more blind. All your guesses are superficial, people say Japanese are short and look like Vietnamese but they northern Asian. Hokkiens look more like east asians, people always though I looked either Korean or Japanese. Cantonese look somewhat like Vietnamese.

BUT no Chinese I've seen look like these thais.Find me any southern Chinese who look like these Thais?

full_people_1.jpg

Or look like this.
1123277_f520.jpg
]
Or like this
stock-photo-chon-buri-thailand-april-thai-people-celebrate-songkran-festival-water-festival-in-chon-76473616.jpg

You mean you have not seen those thais that look like chinese?

When i visited thailand to see my thai fren he introduced some issan frens of his to me. I thought they would look malay and surprisingly some look like japanese/chinese. In fact there are quite a large percentage of thais that have that chinese look that don't have chinese ancestry.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Foo Mee Har Is A Hakka

573px-Mandarin_in_China.png

The difference is the mandarin that China is speaking today was the same kind of mandarin, that the Manchus imposed on the Han Chinese by force. And that is what pisses me off. How disgusting that we make an Manchu influence dialect our national language. When other dialects are all older but are restricted for this mandarin crap.

Sun Yat-sen (a good Hakka) could not have chosen Cantonese instead of Mandarin. Cantonese to them is like French to English speakers. Hence, will they still carry on with their northern language without him ? The resource to get more Cantonese speaking teachers could be a daunting task too.

What's more, they were the majority. Even the South Koreans speak their northern state's language till today. Can they bring back the days of Silla or Baekje ? The southern ones are probably extincted.

extPassdodo-ea-rs05.jpg

At first, I thought Mee was strictly in Foochowese, but the Foo is an "F" sound which is not found in Foochowese, Hokkien and Teochew. It was said that both the V (as in Vietnam instead of Yuit Num) and F sound did not exist in ancient time. Foo was very Cantonese and my guess was Hakka. Why ? The ancient word for "you" is not 你 nee but 汝 roo in Mandarin. This word is pronounced as 你 nee or 女 nyu in both Foochowese and Hakka.

汝 is no more in use in other modernised dialects. This is the equivalent word for "Thou" as in Thou Shalt Not Steal. Although both thou and 汝 are ancient words, but this Chinese word is still in use today !

Fork Me Hard is a Hakka just like Hairy Lee. But, he may not speak the language.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Mandarin Is A Barbarized Han Language

in general, all dialects of China evolved over time into newer forms as compared to ancient ages. did Cantonese and Vietnamese influenced each other?

The Vietnamese could have adopted some words from Cantonese but I'm not sure about the vice versa.

Yuit Nam and Viet Nam are quite close.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Foo Mee Har Is A Hakka

Sun Yat-sen (a good Hakka) could not have chosen Cantonese instead of Mandarin. Cantonese to them is like French to English speakers. Hence, will they still carry on with their northern language without him ? The resource to get more Cantonese speaking teachers could be a daunting task too.

What's more, they were the majority. Even the South Koreans speak their northern state's language till today. Can they bring back the days of Silla or Baekje ? The southern ones are probably extincted.

At first, I thought Mee was strictly in Foochowese, but the Foo is an "F" sound which is not found in Foochowese, Hokkien and Teochew. It was said that both the V (as in Vietnam instead of Yuit Num) and F sound did not exist in ancient time. Foo was very Cantonese and my guess was Hakka. Why ? The ancient word for "you" is not 你 nee but 汝 roo in Mandarin. This word is pronounced as 你 nee or 女 nyu in both Foochowese and Hakka.

汝 is no more in use in other modernised dialects. This is the equivalent word for "Thou" as in Thou Shalt Not Steal. Although both thou and 汝 are ancient words, but this Chinese word is still in use today !

Fork Me Hard is a Hakka just like Hairy Lee. But, he may not speak the language.

Yes the letter V and V sound is not found in mandarin that's why there's no hanyu pinyin word starting with V.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal

[video=youtube;8v-WEap1KwQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v-WEap1KwQ&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

Watch for this word "汝". And I believe 我 wor is not the only one because 倭寇 wa kou or Japanese pirates can be read as 挖扣 too. Are both Wa and Wo interchangeable ? "Watashi wa" has the Wa word (may not be true, a guess) and I suspect it was derived from Hokkien.

Ngarn is from Shantung which is closer to the old Chinese tone Ngar.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chi You

Some Chinese people particularly the northerners do not consider the southern provinces of Fujian, Guangdong and Guangxi as part of China proper. This is so because these regions are populated by people who are not of pure Han stock but by a mix race between immigrant Han Chinese from the north and local Yue tribes ... These southern regions play little or no part in Chinese history. Can anyone name any significant historical event in China or personality that originated from the south?

Wah lun eh, you have just killed many Cantonese, you know. Not so bad lah. And you cannot deny the fact that the Hmong (Guangdong, Guangxi and Yunnan) had a lot to do with our ancient heritage too.

[video=youtube;7OWI_GchL4Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OWI_GchL4Q&feature=related[/video]

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: 汝

Watch for this word "汝". And I believe 我 wor is not the only one because 倭寇 wa kou or Japanese pirates can be read as 挖扣 too. Are both Wa and Wo interchangeable ? "Watashi wa" has the Wa word (may not be true, a guess) and I suspect it was derived from Hokkien.

wow i don't think many ppl would know wat you are talking about. You're talking about dialects like foochow and shantung which a regular sinkie wouldn't know and nowadays younger sinkies don't even speak their own dialect.

Liquigas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why don't Singapore PROMOTE Teochew, Hokkien, Hakka, Wu, Gan speaking movie and s

You are mistaken ... during the autumn/spring period, the people inhabited in what is today south Zhejiang, Fujian, Guangdong & Guangxi are the Yue people which were considered uncivilised and barbaric by the Han Chinese to the north. Over the centuries however, the Yue people intermixed with Han Chinese immigrants and over time were completely sinificised after having adopted Han Chinese custom and speech.

The Yue is a diverse group with many clans and tribes (hence also known as Hundred Yue or Bai Yue). The ancestors of Min Chinese people (Hokkien speakers) are the Min Yue group. Another group are the ancestors of present day Vietnamese.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: 汝

Watashi in Japanese is I. Wa in Japanese is just a grammatical particle just like am. Therefore, watashi wa in Japanese means I am. In languages using Chinese characters, many characters can be used for I. 我、唔、私、俺、僕、阮 etc. depending on regional culture.