• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Where to find the best fried kway teow

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.soshiok.com/articles/14281

Where to find the best fried kway teow

Wed Sep 23 2009
Jenny Tan
The Business Times

cktbt_sk.jpg

The best fried kway teow stalls in Singapore.

CHAR kway teow often stirs up numerous debates over just which frying style makes the best plate of hot blackened flat noodles. Wet or dry, with traditional cockles and chinese sausage or gussied up with prawns and squid, it’s a quintessential favourite for local foodies.

BT made the rounds of highly-rated stalls: here’s our hit list. Most of the hawkers we spoke to were second-generation, whose children have a disturbing lack of interest in taking up the trade. Enjoy while you can.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=550><TBODY><TR><TD class=bodytext_10pt height=7 width=591 colSpan=4>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=120> </TD><TD width=2>
blank.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top>No 18 Fried Kway Teow
The ingredients in the dish packs a punch flavour-wise – the freshest cockles and bean sprouts. </TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodytext_10pt height=7 width=591 colSpan=4>
blank.gif
blank.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top>Chomp Chomp Fried Kway Teow
A ‘wet’ style that’s sweeter than usual, and a fair amount of vegetables that add a nice bite to the dish. </TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodytext_10pt height=7 width=591 colSpan=4>
blank.gif
blank.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top>http://www.soshiok.com/articles/14270Tiong Bahru Fried Kway TeowTiong Bahru Fried Kway Teow are available at $2, $3 and $4 per plate. </TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodytext_10pt height=7 width=591 colSpan=4>
blank.gif
blank.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top>Hill Street Fried Kway Teow
Hill Street Fried Kway Teow is not too savoury or sweet; not too wet or dry. </TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodytext_10pt height=7 width=591 colSpan=4>
blank.gif
blank.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top>Outram Park Fried Kway Teow Mee’
The mix of kway teow, yellow noodles and bee hoon is redolent with pork lard and chopped garlic. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.soshiok.com/articles/14269

Char Kway Teow worth waiting for

Tue Sep 22 2009
Jenny Tan
The Business Times

hill_sk.jpg

Hill Street Fried Kway Teow manages to strike a balance – not too savoury or sweet; not too wet or dry, and mixed well.

A kitchen knife may be a professional chef’s best friend, but for Ng Chang Siang (top), his trusted assistant is the customized wok he uses for his char kway teow.

Designed with a flat and more shallow base than the ones available commercially, it allows him to separate the noodles quickly and “smoothly” during the frying process. He also debunks another myth: Char kway teow should be fried over medium fire, as too big a flame will burn the noodles.

The cheerful 64-year-old started frying char kway teow on the street across from the Speaker’s Corner in 1961, when he inherited a pushcart stall from his dad’s friend, who taught him the basics. In 1985, he moved to the food centre at Hill Street when the government evicted the stalls to build a road, before shifting to his current premises 15 years later.

hillsk.jpg

While waiting time during peak hours can be up to 45 minutes – customers wait patiently for good reason. The dish manages to strike a balance – not too savoury or sweet; not too wet or dry, and mixed well with a medley of crunchy beansprouts, slices of Chinese sausage, chives, cockles and scrambled eggs.

To ensure that noodles will be served at the right texture, he specially orders his kway teow from a supplier who produces it for him at his desired thickness.

Voted as one of the Top 10 Hawker Legends, he was flown on SIA’s A380 to cook at Singapore Day in London earlier this year. But things haven’t really changed for him. “I’d still cook until I am tired of it,” he said.

Judging from the newspaper reports plastered on his shopfront which he refers to with glee, there seems to be no sign of that happening soon.

Hill Street Fried Kway Teow
Where: Blk 16 Bedok South #01-18, Bedok South Rd Market & Food Centre
Opening hours: 10.30am – 7pm (Tues – Fri), 8.30am – 7pm (Sat – Sun), closed on Mondays

Do you agree that this Char Kway Teow is good? Tell us about your favourite stall -> HERE

Read also:http://www.soshiok.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774» Where to find the best fried kway teow

lovesamleong

Alfrescian
Loyal
hillsk.jpg

Bulshit. When I go Hill St, the saugage where got give so much? Only for publicity photo, you see that much :(

JinGanKor

Alfrescian
Loyal
if for local, my favourite is hill street.

even someone do a takeaway for me, i would be able to tell that it is hill street the moment i eat it.

but recently i was very disappointed, somewhere jun i went there for breakfast around 11am, the man is frying it, but the taste is normal.

i guess my favourite is still penang ones.

JinGanKor

Alfrescian
Loyal
this one best.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GgHgoz7od34&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GgHgoz7od34&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

kungfu style, fried 2 hour will collapse.

SotongMee

Alfrescian
Loyal
No such business volume in Muar to make this hawker fry 2 hours continuously.

Nice guy who try to amuse himself on the job, entertains others too.:biggrin:

this one best.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GgHgoz7od34&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GgHgoz7od34&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

kungfu style, fried 2 hour will collapse.

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal
don't like the west mall foodcourt one - ie. the hawker wearing the straw hat - why ? bcos the mee & kway teow in wrong proportion - kway teow shd outnumber mee ... but theirs the mee outnumber kway teow ...

and no charred taste from the 'heat of the wok' ... so end up tasting like breakfast fried tow yoo mee esp when its lukewarm after u tarpow, yaks ... and something to do with lack of pork lard ...

SotongMee

Alfrescian
Loyal
You may get just really lucky if they mix rhino, kangaroo and tiger penis into their Commie lup-cheong special.

No sausages for me! You never know what rubbish is added
in to make the sausages; especially those from China.

I hear that they sometimes use rat, cat or dog meats.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You right about that. The sausages are the only processed food in a dish that contains all fresh ingredients (except the sauces). I try and avoid processed food because its generally has higher salt and its composition is always suspect.

No sausages for me! You never know what rubbish is added
in to make the sausages; especially those from China.

I hear that they sometimes use rat, cat or dog meats.

ILaidLeiaB4Solo

Alfrescian
Loyal
bull lar.. come to potong pasir.. .. best food ... i tasted .. and not to forget .. hougang

There was one in Hougang (Workers' Party side). Father and Daughter team. Man fried oyster, daughter fried kuay teow.

The surrounding blocks of flat had been demolished.

Anyone knows where they moved to?