• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[They grow up so fast] Tin Peipei speaks about her "baptism by fire" since GE2011

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
After baptism by bags and fire, Tin Pei Ling grows up

060214_ST_tinpeiling%28edited%29.jpg

Profile of Tin Pei Ling in front of Parliament House.

<small class="clear">Thursday, February 6, 2014 - 08:21
</small>Tessa Wong
MyPaper

SINGAPORE - Remember the young woman whose celebration of Kate Spade defined her image in the 2011 General Election campaign? Netizens mocked her ruthlessly.

Three years on, Marine Parade GRC MP Tin Pei Ling said she has not only grown up, but also grown a thicker hide.

Speaking to MyPaper recently at a cafe opposite Parliament House shortly before a sitting, Ms Tin admitted feeling the pressure of having to prove her worth early in her term, given the online excoriation she went through.

"There was that feeling at first. But now that I've hit 30, I feel a greater sense of confidence and mission. Now, it's not about wanting to prove myself, but about doing my best," said Ms Tin, who celebrated her birthday in December.

Her youth was initially touted as a major strength by the People's Action Party (PAP) when she was introduced as a candidate. It was supposed to be proof that the party had new blood that could connect with young voters via social media.

But this quickly backfired when photos on her Twitter account went viral, including one in which she posed with a Kate Spade box. Things got worse when she said her biggest regret was not taking her parents to Universal Studios.

The whole experience was "a struggle" and a "baptism of fire", said Ms Tin. "I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It was unpleasant and I felt a lot of pressure."

Since then, she has learnt that "communication is an art". She also gained perspective when she began work as an MP.

"My reputation was hurt, but that is intangible. There are residents who are struggling to pay the bills. That's a real problem," she said.

The full-time MP, who quit her job as a business consultant with Ernst and Young shortly after the election, has kept herself busy. In Parliament, she has raised points on a range of topics, from mental health to Medisave.

On the ground, her team has ramped up programmes focused on the elderly and children from low-income families.

One in three residents in her MacPherson ward is aged above 50, while nearly a quarter of the area's blocks are either fully or partially filled with rental flats.

The opposition National Solidarity Party has made much of its free tuition scheme in her ward for the past few years. She said pointedly: "Prior to the election, there were already a few free tuition programmes available in the ward."

On the personal front, Ms Tin is trying to start a family with her husband, civil servant Ng How Yue. She plans to eventually send their children to neighbourhood primary schools.

"I know we say that every school is a good school, but a neighbourhood school can be very diverse. You meet children from other walks of life and learn that life is not always a bed of roses," said the former pupil of the now-defunct Mei Chin Primary.

The interview ended when Ms Tin headed to Parliament House, where she had arranged lunch for the PAP parliamentarians before the sitting.

This duty used to be handled by Sengkang West MP Lam Pin Min, but the baton was passed to Ms Tin after the election. She said slightly sheepishly: "I guess it's because I'm the youngest."

[email protected]

Get MyPaper for more stories.

pic_28.jpg

Ms Tin Pei Ling speaks to RazorTV journalist, Olivia Chang, about the high-rise littering incident

pic_29.jpg

She explains how she 'discovered' soiled sanitary pads lying on the floor.

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal
The whole experience was "a struggle" and a "baptism of fire", said Ms Tin. "I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It was unpleasant and I felt a lot of pressure."

what cock pressure ? pressure from trying to improve self image or pressure from trying to improve life of brainless sillypooreans ?
this lucky one was asked to join , not due to altruistic reason ,so where got pressure.
besides the pay more than compensate for it.

The full-time MP, who quit her job as a business consultant with Ernst and Young shortly after the election, has kept herself busy. In Parliament, she has raised points on a range of topics, from mental health to Medisave.

did she raise the issue of the mental health of her master ?
did she question whether it still able to perform the job as mp and ministar ?

at such an advanced age yet still refused to give up the post ,
taking so much money for doing nothing.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SPH presstitutes are truly excellent at what they do. :rolleyes:

Go to the photo gallery in the article and view this image:

pic7_12.jpg

Caption: A resident's child clings on to Ms Tin, refusing to let go.

:kma:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
She's an excellent MP. Criticism makes her stronger and more determined than ever. On the other hand, Nicole Seah cannot handle stress and ended up having a mental breakdown.

Thank goodness Nicole did not become an MP. She can't manage her own life so how is she going to help manage the lives of others.

FuckSamLeong

Alfrescian
Loyal
She's an excellent MP. Criticism makes her stronger and more determined than ever. On the other hand, Nicole Seah cannot handle stress and ended up having a mental breakdown.

Thank goodness Nicole did not become an MP. She can't manage her own life so how is she going to help manage the lives of others.

You really think so? Hmmmmmm..........

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nicole Seah doesn't have a $15k per month salary to handle the stress.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Nicole Seah doesn't have a $15k per month salary to handle the stress.

Give her 15K a month and she'd end up even more stressed when she finds she doesn't have the skills or the fortitude to do the job she's being paid to perform.

Besides her personal life is in a mess too and that has nothing to do with salaries. It's simply bad judgement on her part.

greenies

Alfrescian
Loyal
Great!
Hope PAP will let her compete at SMC in 2016.
Better if Nicole could be a candidate at the same SMC as her.

turbulent

Alfrescian
Loyal

pic7_12.jpg

Her mouth can really stretched...envy the husband.

greenies

Alfrescian
Loyal

pic7_12.jpg

It looks like the child was scare and grabbed her clothes firmly.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
for those who live in MacPherson. is she popular there? like really does her work as mp? if yes she might win with a huge margin.

palden

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nearly Kenna rape by ah Neh. To me she is a good MP. Whether real or acting, people had benefited from her working for them.

pic7_12.jpg